Ok, I have said it all along that DotA 2 is a joke.
NOW YOU HAVE SEEN IT (if you haven't check out the tournament videos on the dota2.com website)
The music is full of primitive looping sound effects, the 3d graphics are cheap (even though the textures look quite decent), and the LADY'S VOICE IS EXTREMELY ANNOYING? Did you notice how annoying she was?
By the way, I didn't even realize the million dollar championship happened until now LOL because the server for the good game that I play is currently down and I was googling stuff abouts it and came across it.
On top of the sad things I posted above, the animations of the units are horribly out of sync with the rotation and movement of the heroes!
I was really saddened that many many visual aspects of DotA were completely left behind, like towers and many heroes visual appearance.
Anyway, even if the game is free, I still am not planning on touching it - it took so long for them to come out with such a horrible game, why would I ever even consider downgrading to it?
The main things that I was disturbed by in the videos were:
- Voice of main speaker lady annoying as anything
- Cheap music with hard core repeat
- Cheap repetitive sounds (cheap as in 100% synthesized, and bad sounding to the brain)
- Destruction of old DotA stuff into more cheap things
- The entire map conversion looks horrible - it doesn't even have the feel of DotA
- Hero's annoying and redundant remarks
- Even abilities and items are completely out of the DotA style - after all this time with IceFrog, you would think he would be consistent with DotA2, maybe he was fired lol.
- Entire GUI is totally not the DotA style, and it looks EXTREMELY cheap like someone was on windows 3.1 and used ms paint to create it in their spare time on a few weekends
- Spawning of creeps is so cheap it's pathetic
- Everything looks old and faded - a lot of the bright colors don't exist. It just looks so old fashioned or worn out or something lol
The things I liked were:
- Nice textures, it looks like a lot of graphic work was put into this, but not as much programming. I saw a lot of texture collision errors, A LOT - especially lighting.
- Nice shadows
- Seems most of the heroes were ported over - even though they were raked over by some non DotA community people (obviously)
Anyway, I still feel like this about the whole DotA2:
And it all began with their blog saying to check it for updates, and the first thing they said (many months later), was that a milion dollar prize was being put up!
I wish I did not waste the twenty minutes watching those garbage videos...
Anyway, now that you've read my rants...
Oh, yes an update about the other game I play LOL! It is sooooo much better in many many ways, I can get into a game now within 5 seconds, and there have not been ANY leavers in the past 29 games. Also, people were very helpful and did not get angry in any of them (aside from a little quarreling here and there).