Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Hello, LightRedemption here. The ultimate aim of this blog would be to gather up people and teach them about the things that would benefit them in DotA/Dota 2 in the long run while hoping to educate the general community in a positive way.
Old

A DotA [Life] Story

Posted 06-28-2012 at 06:47 AM by CynthiaCrescent
Updated 06-28-2012 at 07:00 AM by CynthiaCrescent

~Art by bamuth on Deviant Art

If you didn't notice, my last article did not reach anywhere near the required quota of 1000 views yet, thus this entry isn't going to be about any strategic complexity/explanation of any sort. It's just something that I suddenly feel like writing. I'm going to, just for reference, share with the people who would like to read, my near 4-years journey after I started playing DotA. Of course, this is DotA-related, and not my life story, so there's no lesbians, no underaged sex, no drugs and no money. It's just... experience, mostly. I also didn't want it to turn into some kind of self-interview, so yeah.

2008 - We all have to start somewhere

I'd be lying if I said I remember clearly the events of 4 years ago. I was 14, so I don't think I'm expected to anyways. It all started when a friend of mine asked me to play with him and his friend, custom map of Warcraft 3. Well, I haven't played Warcraft 3 since I was 10. so I basically just shrugged and said "Yeah". It was around late September if I recalled correctly. Anyways, it was a game against AI bots. Needless to say, I got thrashed, but from a future perspective looking back, I didn't fail that bad. You could only do so much when the only item you could build was Sange & Yasha and the only hero you knew half way back then was Terrorblade, with the channeling Soul Drain. It was hilarious, truth be told. I, basically, was fascinated to no end. It was also, evidently, the start of my last year in middle school, so I had to deal with that too. Still, I found the free time I needed to play. I don't want to use the word "train" because I had little idea of what I was doing, so I just played. After an intensive few days of 1vs1 with another new player, I learned a few of the heroes, some of the items, and learned to stack Wraith Bands on something if things turned to shit. It was fun, but I know I was ready for something else. It was winter break at the end of the year, so I went into playing intensively. I didn't have much of a social life when I was 14, yeah, I blame a lot of things, but never mind that. Basically, the rest of 2008 was me trying to get my knowledge together and play with real people (on Garena, hwe hwe hwe) for once.

2009 [First Half] - Friends... what can you do without them?

Apparently, a lot. It is just so convenient that a lot of the guys in my class at school play DotA too, and they were much better than me at the time (most have been playing for 1+ years) and I was just starting to understand what was going on most of the time. I hated them, but I don't really have much of a choice for an "organized game" of sort. I took games with them anyways. The first half of 2009 (the last semester of my middle school life) was mostly spent playing with those guys, losing most of my matches and got blamed for them. It was alright though, I was an outcast anyways, and I don't mind the flaming that much, considering how I didn't really care much, mostly to improve. I had all of those people on my Garena friendlist though. I didn't know it at the time, but it actually helped me later. We'll get to that. For now all you need to know is that I was not only struggling with school but with things outside school as well. At the very least, my competence and command of the English language got me together with an online group of 4, which I came across while lurking on DA (which was pointed to me by that original friend who introduced me to DotA). We had a plan of online training once I got out of school and graduate. In the mean time, I was even more shunned within my own class. I was under constant depression, so yeah. The first half of 2009 ended with my having complete knowledge of a pubber. However, I was also aware enough that there is higher level play, albeit I can't seem to mimic them.

2009 [Second Half] - The birth of DotM, and PlayDotA

Ah yes, I finally got out of middle school. High school hasn't started yet, but I haven't much hope for it either. I was still very much a teenager back then (I still am now, but my hormones seem to disagree). During the summer of 2009, a lot of things happened: PD was created, which I picked up after continously lurking in DA (if anyone knew my old account on DA, I could give that person a beta key right now). The 4 friends that I was playing with formed a team with me, named it DotM (again, anything for the person who could point out what it stands for). Lastly, and no doubt most importantly, I got myself a girl friend. It was the best summer I ever had. Even though I didn't expect much from high school, I must say I went into it with my head held high. Surprisingly enough, there was a lack of DotA players (only ~4 people have played DotA before), so I was set out to spread its influence. Since I got back to school, DotM disbanded. If any of you guys, ChaoS, Elder, Ignitus or Sakura could be reading this right now, say something, I miss you. I also found out that after almost a year of intensive (yes, it was the most intensive I ever played anythng) training, I realized I have improve tremendously, even to at least hold my own in most of the pub games, if not out right winning them. That fact became evident after I started playing with my new classmates, who I, astounishingly, do not despise. I still didn't have much of a social life, but at least I had my girlfriend. It took some measures to try and get a few new classmates to join the game, and it worked to an extent (a few of them could be seen on this forum right now). All in all, the later half of 2009 was a success.

2010 [First Half] - PlayDotA Garena Group

I got into a bit of trouble with my academic performances (the last time) so needless to say my DotA AND girlfriend time was cut short. it was highly frustrating, but there was also something else that caught my attention. On the PlayDotA forums, I finally stopped being a lurker and started mildly partcipating in forums activity. At the time, PDGG (PlayDotA Garena Group) seemed like a great choice for an international playground and place to meet new people. My general aim was to get in it, and got in it I did. It was, by all means, the place where I missed the most. I met so many great people there, most of which had already disappared by the time this was written. Infi, Zesty, Cell, Arch, Ghuy, Kikoni, Moe, claniraq, Supersheep, iser, Swiftkick, Zepphird, Dark Medina, CvP, Solet Luna, Dragon Fist, STR1D3R, shortail, fodminah, Cp6, Justin... I can't even name them all. It was just... so great, and I actually felt quite happy, despite the horrendous ping holding me back most of the time. My academics didn't take that huge a hit (not that it mattered, 2 years later looking back) and I got the DotA surge in my class up front and center. It was a force, and it was extremely good for my self-esteme. The first half of 2010 ended with a great note, as I went into summer, with mostly up beat thought in mind.

2010 [Second Half] - Great Depression

All good things have to end sometimes. As I was pulled into a new school year, the time I had to DotA was greatly decreased (and it actually never returned), PDGG was actually, regretablly, dying. I basically took a long hiatus from the PlayDotA forums. During this time, I heard that PDGG died and turned into PDIH instead, but I wasn't aware of it until I came back. The greatest depression of all, however, was the fact that I was no longer in a sexual relationship (I was 15, sue me). The break up did a number on me, and I went into a long period of depression, taking up mostly writing to pass my time. My DotA skill took a steep drop and went into a slump. I was barely playing, only slightly in pubs. Yeah, I was still playing with the people in my class, but I'd rather make fun maps and write novellas than playing DotA at anymore than random intervals. It was a long few months, but since it had little to do with DotA and since I play little DotA at all, I'd just skip ahead.

2011 [First Half] - For the love of lesbians

Ah yes, 2011. It was a new chapter. I was suddenly extremely social and comfortable after I got over (sort of) my depression. I was all over the place (irl) and pumping up with frequent games with mostly friends. It was a great way to bounce back. It was during this period that I met Lapis and she started taking care of my account for me. For nostalgia sake, I came back to PDIH (PlayDotA InHouse) sometimes, but only to see most of the members I've come to know now gone, replaced with a whole sleuth of rather hostile newcomers, per se. Those who started with PDIH obviously did not recognize me, but since I was only there for the people, not the game, I didn't play much and moved on. This was also the time when I made a breakthrough in my DotA skill, and into a whole new realization of just where I stand and what I'm looking forward to. It helps a lot while playing a game as a hobby, considering how my being social gave me a lot of other things to do with my time. It warrants me to not fall back in terms of understanding and new contents even if I do take a break, and would always be that guy who knows what he's doing. Of course, I was busy as well, so I barely got anytime to play. If you're wondering why were lesbians mentioned, it's because they were, simple as that. It has little to do with DotA, so just leave it at that.

2011 [Second Half] - VALVefrog and the chaos of beta keys

Aside from the fact that I was starting to write quality guides during this time of the year (up until now, although the waiting period extends horrendously), the most entertaining news I have going into the summer was the iminent first tournament of Dota 2, and I can finally get a taste of the game and what it looks like. Honestly, it didn't catch my eyes at first. It was dark, which I liked, but it was also very bad due to my flawed eye sight. I could barely tell what's what. I was rather disappointed with "the International"'s results as well, since anyone could have seen how unprepared and uncomfortable the teams were with the new game, trying their best to not get lost. This was even more evident to the S.E.A teams, having significantly less practice time. I'm not QQ-ing though, since Na'vi did earn their title, no doubt about that. The big introduction of Dota 2 and its tournaments also made me realize I have little love for the competitive anymore (I have been following it since 2009 up to this point) and just gave up on doing so. At the end of August was when I got my beta key, but I could not use it to great effect considering how shit my pc is, and how IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE INTERNET ACCESS (actually it still doesn't now, but that's unimportant now). What I could observe, however, was the great influx of new players crashing into PD, along with the Betakey draw, which invited even more. I can't say I'm happy with how that turned out, but it's not my place to comment because I couldn't have thought of anything better, personally. Around October, though, was when I finally got my social life covered to an extent, and another thing: I now have internet access in my house! Believe it or not, my parents ban me from using the internet, despite their not knowing what to do with their own high-end pcs. It was on my phone, lol, but at least it gave me a chance to be active for once in my life. I gave up my old account to Lapis, letting her manage the guides for me (which I occasionally do so myself) while I move on to this account. It signifies my participation on the forums while still staying social, my academic credits avoiding the short end of the stick and I was still able to be active, albeit not much DotA. All in all, it was a very great year.

2012 [First Half] - AMD and the projects

Oh boy was I ambitious. I still am, but I know where I stand. The first six months of 2012 were when I had a chance to severely broaden my horizon, even though I did take a hiatus some time during the early February (lol 4chan) I was still very aware of what was going on. I started writing blog entries after I realize how great it can be used for reference. I also expand my reach onto other parts of the forums that I used to ignore, and I got a ton of new, well, acquaintances would be the right word. My DotA playing quota took a huge nose dive, but I was still able to stay on top of the pubbers and the occasional semi-competitive teams that call me in as a bonus player. Overall, it was a very exiciting period that created many great memories. Most of it was not DotA-related, so I'll spare you the details. I have to say I'm quite surprised with just how active I'm being though, despite the fact that I barely get 10 hours of computer with internet a week. I also got to play Dota 2 a bit more now, getting myself familiar with the upcoming title to replace DotA. Admittedly I'm finding it rather hard to adjust to, but that would mostly be attributed to the fact that I've only played a few matches (even though my win rate is kind of unexpected). I have to say that VALVe is doing great things for this game, and I appreciate it. More or less, I could see how the older people of the community was slowly disappearing from activity, but I won't fret. I take it as a sign of a new generation, and the best thing is, I would still be here when the wave hits.

2012 [Second Half] - Speculations

I obviously don't know what would happen yet, since I'm writing this during the last few days of the first half of 2012, but I know what to expect. First, would be a completion of a community project (hopefully soon) that you probably wouldn't know about unless you're participating. Also, at the end of July, I would push out the PlayDotA magazine project that I have been keeping behind the shadows all these times. If you want to be a part of it, then there's still time, just send me a pm or something, I'll know if you contacted me. Thirdly would be "the International 2". I have high hopes for this tournament, despite the fact that I'm only here for the entertainment value and NOT rooting for any team in general. Honestly, I don't know what I'd do next, but I'm still young after all, I have my whole future ahead of me.

You can obviously comment, but I don't think any suggestions is in order :P
Mostly it's just a read for reference, since the DotA part of my life really isn't the most exciting one. I also just realized that this was actually the ONLY blog-like entry I've ever written, lol. As always, I am LightRedemption, and this has been another good day blogging.
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Managing Resources

Posted 06-22-2012 at 01:00 AM by CynthiaCrescent
Updated 06-24-2012 at 09:23 AM by CynthiaCrescent

~Art by sajin0084 on Deviant Art

Alright, I must admit, I did not expect the views to climb that fast in just a few days, especially considering how I spent most of the last 7 days getting drunk, going to parties and getting drunk again. I haven't had much time to think about preparing these things, but never mind that. I have a schedule to keep after all. So, as I've said before, the last blog entry of mine was supposed to be belonged to a series. So here is the next part that I've promised: Management of resource.
Edit: holy crap it climbed by like 200 views while I was writing.

So, managing resources, does it sound simple to you? I'm not trying to make it any more complicated, but I must say that people sometimes (read: usually) mispercept just exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned this. Most of those misunderstandings come from the misconception of the word "resources" as it applies to the DotA game. Now, it being made on the RTS game Warcraft III has given people a definition for resources: wood, gold and food. However, DotA removes wood and food, only offers Gold as the official income of the game, used for several of transactions. It is true that all resources are connected with gold, one way or another, but gold itself isn't all of the "resources" you'd have to manage in this game. The other resources a player has to worry about include, but not limited to:
*Hero Health
*Hero Mana
*Hero Spells cd
*Hero Experience
*Inventory slot (many thanks)
*Time (would be discussed later in the series)
*Territory (would be discussed later in the series)

So, what exactly is Resource Management (RM from now on, bonus points to those who get the reference)? In the simplest of explanations, RM is the efficient and effective deployment of a team's/a player's resources when they are needed. For team RM, you can refer to here (I promise to extend that article in the future). This article would concern dealing with resource at an individual's level.

*Gold:
First and foremost, the resource that is the most recognizable is gold. It signifies your income. There is a variation, gpm (gold per minute, available in Dota 2), that is an indication of your "resource gathering" in a way, since gold is the one of the few resources you can actually "gather" rather than "manage", in the strictest sense. Playing the first game would already tell us how to gather our gold. Gold is offered through time, the killing (last hitting) of hostile neutrals, enemies (creeps, heroes, buildings) or the assist in killing of nearby enemy heroes and any tower. You can also "gain" gold by selling your items, but that's a net loss and shouldn't be considered unless under specific conditions. Gold is spent for items; buy backs and nothing much else actually. How you spent your gold should already be covered and known since your introduction into the game, so I won't drag on about something everybody should already know.

*Hero statistics:
These are certain "resources" that cannot be "gathered" (except for experience, with a cap) only "gained" and "managed". These includes the ever changing variable of the hero (not stats, because those are typically much less flexible). What you have left is hp, mp, cd of a hero's spells (sometimes even passives) and his/her/its experience points.

-HP is up as the arguably most important resource of an individual hero. If she/he/it hadn't any hp left, none of the other resources would have mattered until he/she/it does. You can manage hp by increasing its maximum quota (via increase in strength, hp items or spells) or the regeneration of that quota (strength, hp regen items or spells). What some people don't understand (but is apparent in the higher levels of game play) is that hp has to be looked at and monitored, as well as being weighed into considerations in order to deduct the best action to take at any given time. That's why you usually don't keep your hp low in lane if you have regen to back it up (even if you have a Salve, when the missing hp would make the item a bit less effective than it should be) and you a lot of the times decide to go back and heal before charging into a fight. Your decisions should be based on hp and other resources, not the other way around. Since it is health though, something people deal with every time they play, I don't believe I need to say much more.

-MP: Mana points are probably the second most recognizable part of your hero out there. Mp management itself is a limit onto how frequent your mana costing spells can be casted (there a few exceptions that I won't mention). I don't list spells being resources as a whole because I believe mp and cd cover it up nicely already. So comparable to hp, you do not need mp to survive, but a large portion of the time you need it to be useful. The hero's model is only as good as how his/her/its spells make them out to be. You can't do anything if you can't actually touch anyone, can you? You can manage mp by improving/removing items that increases the maximum quota (int increase, items, spells) or the regeneration (int increase. items etc.). If one could classify max hp and % as "survivability" of a hero, I could classify max mp and % as "practicality". You usually need both. However, the more hp you have the better, while there is a lot of time when max mp goes to waste. Thus, it is highly important to keep your mp "just right" rather than preferably always high like hp. This means using your spells if you can and don't need the mana for a specific amount of time. Mp items in general are also easy to get and use, so you shouldn't fret too much when you run out of mp frequently. Well, it's different with hp. Still, the usage of your hard-earned spells is also limited by one more thing:

-Spells cooldown (cd): Most spells have a recharge time after they have been "used" (channeled, casted, whatever) thus limiting you from using the spell again until the cd has expired (there are spells which has more limitations but I would not be covering them). As you might have guessed, the cd of the spells has little to do with anything but the spells themselves. However, they would be largely noticeable when they either have a high cd or must be saved for dire situations, and it is actually quite straight forward that way: don't use a skill if you might need it later (before the skill itself finishes its cd). There's not really much else to that, since it is rather independent.

-Hero Experience (exp): Well you can't actually lose exp (not yet) so you only gain it. Usually you gain exp as you get gold, and usually it just comes naturally. You don't actually manage this so much but gaining it. There is, well, Hand of Midas if you want to excessively level up, but that's kind of detrimental. Why am I ranting on about this? Look, exp comes naturally, and the only way to reliably fish for it is to be in a near parameter of a kill made on enemies, bonus if you're the killer. Otherwise this is just here for the sake of listing mostly.

-Inventory slot: Ah yes, for some reasons I actually forgot about this. Big thanks to zwegat85 for reminding me. So, inventory slot is a set amount of item certain units you control can carry. This number can be customized to your own need, though most people use the slots given to them: hero's 6 slots - directly adding effects and passive bonuses to the hero themselves, courier's 6 slots - usually shared by the team and your Circle of power's 6 slots - stationary "chest" type. That equates to 12 personal slots (expand to 18 if you we have Spirit Bear) and 6 team slots. Spirit Bear aside, remember that there are a lot of limitations on how active abilities of items are limited on courier and the nature of the circle of power, thus most of the times the only use your items would see are on your heroes themselves. You are limited to 6 slots this way. That's why you don't see mass Ironwood Branches mid game, even though it's helluva more cost effective than shitty Ultimate Orbs. That's also why there's a time when you're pushed to buy Boots of Travel instead of relying on tp all the time, because you are hard pressed for that slot. Usually, if you're playing the hero that aims for big items fast you're not going to have a lot of trouble with inventory slots early on (despite what a combination of RoB - MoC - Drum - Wand - Boots - Bottle - TP might convince you otherwise). Remember though, this isn't Skyrim, where you can carry an infinite amount of items and only be slowed down because of it. You literally cannot, so don't try to. Instead, one should always aim for the items they complete, not buying something just because they are cost effective. Also learn to use your extra slots at home if you should desire so, since those are perfect for holding items such as ward, dust and smoke and be extracted out with a courier on use.

That sums up the hero's statistics for now actually, as the entry has already went into a rather excessive length. Wrapping everything up, I'd like to point out that RM as a whole is something that shouldn't be taken too seriously within a game itself (unlike a lot of things I've written about before) since it usually just what you always do, only with a new light and a bit more insight into it. It has been, obviously aiming at newer players who usually go all in and don't really have a clue of what direction they would like the game to turn out and how to solve their own problems. I do believe that this article itself was much less complicated and inevitably helpful to a lot of players, but I simply want to have it said. As always, rates & reviews comments & suggestions are always welcome, especially on subject such as this. I am LightRedemption, and this has been another good day blogging.
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Weighing Opportunity Cost

Posted 06-14-2012 at 01:12 AM by CynthiaCrescent
Updated 06-17-2012 at 12:18 AM by CynthiaCrescent

Art by ~TheFirstAngel on Deviant Art

So yeah, as promised, I am here again writing this... whatever it is. All things considered, it has been one of the things I'd rather not do at the moment but well, what can I do?

Anyways, small talk aside, let's gets right down to business. This is supposed to be a part of a bigger series. Now, opportunity cost, for those of you who haven't heard of it before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Opportunity cost is the cost of any activity measured in terms of the value of the next best alternative forgone (that is not chosen). It is the sacrifice related to the second best choice available to someone, or group, who has picked among several mutually exclusive choices. The opportunity cost is also the "cost" (as a lost benefit) of the forgone products after making a choice. Opportunity cost is a key concept in economics, and has been described as expressing "the basic relationship between scarcity and choice”. The notion of opportunity cost plays a crucial part in ensuring that scarce resources are used efficiently. Thus, opportunity costs are not restricted to monetary or financial costs: the real cost of output forgone, lost time, pleasure or any other benefit that provides utility should also be considered opportunity costs.
Did that confuse you? Well if it did, read it again.
Did it still confuse you? Well I'll just have to explain it in context in order to provide a clearer understanding then.

Now, let's take, for example, the following situation as an example: let's say that you are playing an Axe, facing off against an Enigma in middle lane. For those of you who'd find this example familiar, yes it would be. There are two normally accepted builds considering Axe in lane, one is the Helix -> Call -> Hunger x 3 build, while the other is ignoring Hunger completely and pumps the rest into the 2 spells. Now against Enigma who has easy means of ignoring Hunger, one would gladly opt for the Call Helix build to be at least usable in lane right?

Well, that's where it becomes complicated, because DotA is also macro-management (which would be something I'd write about later), for now to help you understand, let's simply apply the above definition of opportunity cost into the two build in this specific situation and see. Note that after this point everything I say is now OUT OF CONTEXT OF THE ORIGINAL GAME OF WHICH THIS EXAMPLE WAS TAKEN FROM.

Call BuildHunger Build
ProsWorks decently in lane, mitigate harass and participate with or against early game ganksActually gives you a ranged spell when mid game comes, would still have a level of Call and Helix for good measures
ConsDoesn't have Hunger at all, must rely on melee-range Call until Hunger is pumped upDoesn't work much during the laning phase

Now that you've seen this, you realize that the decision isn't actually all that clear. If we set far sight for the mid game, perhaps the Battle Hunger build early game, even though it might do next to nothing against the said Enigma, might as well do more when mid game comes.

To a more in-depth analysis, let's compare the 2 builds. The Call build advocates no Hunger at all, which gives you a generally stronger Helix and a better disable. It is great in its own way, but what chance does it actually has against an Enigma? Not much, and the glaring advantage would be better when ganks come, since that's what a higher level Call does. The Hunger Games build gives you a ranged spell that isn't going to do much during the laning phase, but it is also the most damaging and non-forced synergy spell you have, which certainly would be useful when mid game comes? So what's the right thing to do? Well this is what this article aims to help you decide for yourself.

Note: This is not supposed to turn into another one of those "Call vs. Hunger" build debate. If you want that get your ass to Game Strategy and everything will pick up from there. The example I provided was just meant to be what it is, an example.

Now for those who didn't understand opportunity cost before, I hope that you are now up to speed. If not then I suggest you leave now and just do yourself a favor of not overcomplicating the way you play the game. For those who are still interested, by all means read on.

I won't, obviously, be telling you what do when it's time to decide, because I'm just as human as everyone else (almost) and I can't possibly give you a guidelines on all the variables and scenarios that are bound to change. I would, however, give you a general idea of what you're looking at here. Every time you make a decision, it is always better to calmly evaluate the options of which you have and how it would affect the rest of your game. Now this is not always applicable, because most people have panic moments of when they can't quite think clearly, but this is actually just trying to think everything through before making a choice. This doesn't include EVERYTHING you do in a game, but since what's important changes from game to game I can't tell you about that either.

This is no time for examples though, as much as I hate to say that. Most of them are either too vivid or complicated that it might set people off course. So, to be frank and to the point, we state the obvious:
*This is meant for higher levels of play, when you can't hope to make all enemies rage quit to win, and you play to win.
So, with that established:
*To win, you must destroy an opponent's base. How do you do this?
You can push or you can farm, you can overpower the opponent to destroy their base or you can create a huge enough macro advantage so that when even if the opponent is stronger (but not better) than you; you can still win.
*So pick a strategy and go with it. During the course of the actual games when you are prone to make a decision, think about how it would affect the general strategy of which you have chosen. When the choices are not obvious, you would be facing this dilemma of one choice seemingly works best for the situation and one choice seemingly works best in the long run.
However, since this game is so unpredictable and because you'd be playing against non-scripted human individuals who do not require games to be spoon-fed to them, you would notice soon that everything doesn't go according to plan. That's part of the game, and it is up to YOU alone to decide how to go with it.

Small update: Well I'm visiting this entry again because it is deemed as unsatisfying, which I must agree on since I did in a rush while having rl problems glaring down on me. So here's the update:

Now, the basic principle of weighing opportunity cost is there, and you have hopefully understood it. Now to get a bit deeper into the application of what you've learned here. Basically, opportunity cost is a concept of comparison applicable to basically every variable in a DotA game, even the heroes themselves.

Taking this into a more common scenario: let's say that you are facing with a Butcher mid, who up until the 2 minute mark you have completely outlaned, burning through his Tango reserves and he's sitting at 70% health. Now, let's say you cannot kill him, but can obviously harass him, and he has a Healing Salve in his inventory. What would you do? Would you harass him so that he has to go back to tower and burn through his last Salve, but would enable him to get back to ~100% health to be able to attempt to kill you? Or, would you focus on a cs war with him, hinting that you're going to harass him but wouldn't exactly do just that. The latter choice means that since he stays at ~70% health he can never kill you before dying himself, but he would still have the Salve in reserve? Of course there's also the case of him healing up and attempting to kill you from ~70% (which happens in higher levels of play) but since this is independent of your actions it should not be considered. So, the choice between the first two options is up to you alone to decide. It is also a very basic example of opportunity cost happening very commonly. I obviously can't tell you what to do, and you'd just have to choose yourself.

So, to wrap this up, here's a TL;DR version:
Weigh the pros and cons of each seemingly important choice you make and pick the best one that you think will do better in help you winning the game.

This article was somewhat delayed, I admit. However since it is done now that's no longer important. I was planning to write up a bigger article, but seeing how this was getting long already, I decide to leave those for the next one, as it would directly have a lot to do with this article. Now, I don't know if you've noticed, but the comments system is up and running, although every single one must pass moderation check for some reasons. That shouldn't discourage you from leaving comments because as always, I appreciate them, as long as it's nothing to do with personal hate because those would better be done through pms. I also tend to have a lot of typos when I write up things like this, so do not hesitate in pointing those out for me. Sorry for the lack of pictures, though. Well that's it for now. I'm LightRedemption, and this has been another good day blogging.
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

~Compilation

Posted 06-13-2012 at 12:28 AM by CynthiaCrescent
Updated 07-24-2012 at 06:57 AM by CynthiaCrescent

Alright, so, since my signature would soon grow into a size that would not be fathomable to the genereal limit, thus I must make my own compilation somewhere. I am skeptical about doing on the forums, considering how I can't decide on where, and the derpiness of those themselves. Thus I'd modify the old guide compilation to have my old articles as well. The good thing is now I can use pictures to my heart's content, rather than the forum's rigid signature limit. All the links are, obviously, inside the picture.

Now for the old guild compilation

This entry is a compilation of the guides associated with the Lapis Lazuli account (who now belongs to a friend of mine), linked for reference and also to gather up popularity and possibly fixes/suggestions since I like to keep myself open-minded and all that. I'd appreciate rates & reviews, because I'm bitter that none of my guides were spotlighted afraid that the ratings system is flawed as hell, but that doesn't mean it doesn't give a general idea of what the guide readers think about the guides themselves. These guides belong to the people mentioned at the beginning of each of them (thus not all are mine)

Note: This is NOT an article. Since the Attribute Bonus entry got over 1000 views I'd still keep my promise to write another one as soon as possible.

Guide LinkNameSubject
Invisible ThreatAnub'seran the Nerubian Weaver
The Bargain's BinBoots Explanation
The Ancient Evil SurvivesLion the Demon Witch
Reptile AircraftViper the Netherdrake
You can't kill mePuck the Faerie Dragon
The Humble GentlemanLeshrac the Malicious the Tormented Soul
Vengeance is MineTerrorblade the Soul Keeper
Tremble Before MeNessaj the Chaos Knight
Walking Through the RuinsHow to play pubs properly
Man in the KitchenMogul'Khan the Axe
Posted in Uncategorized