Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
ultqq

Default heroes you've never played before

obviously this is aimed at people who've been playing for some time and have experience with most of the heroes, a.k.a. most of you.

i was thinking about this because i -randomed lina today, and it was my first time playing her. the only heroes i still haven't played are those i've both never had any interest in (either because they don't appeal to me for whatever reason or because i don't want to learn them) and have yet to random.

i've heard before that lina's stun is hard to land, that her attack animation sucks balls, and that her passive is stupid, so i just never picked her. but she's fun as shit. her stun is not that hard to land and it has an insanely low cd, she nukes hard as fuck (obviously), her physical dps is pretty good, and flying around fast as fuck pew-pewing fireballs is fun/fiery soul makes perfect sense on her. i don't know why she's not all that popular, or why it seems i end up owning every lina i play against.

so, if you're not afraid to admit it, what are some heroes you've never played?

my list:
-pudge (my -ha with rubick is pretty good tho lol)
-sylla
-naga
-potm
-drow
-viper
-meepo
-kotl
-thrall
-pugna

i think pudge and potm are the most embarrassing
The night before each patch, IceFrog consumes a daunting, albeit measured quantity of psilocybin mushrooms, on a hilltop overlooking the city. There, teary-eyed and large of pupils, he describes with crude symbols in the dirt the microcosm of modern life psychotropically blossoming before him, to share with us the following day, when words return to his being. This is the metagame.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
gaibo1

Default Re: heroes you've never played before

None.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
AtomicKitty

Invoker because to play him effectively you need positioning and a really good knowledge of when to use which spells for which situations
Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Dalailama

I random about 80% of the time, and never repick, so there are no heroes I don't play. The heroes I just hate randoming though are Warlock and WD, they are just boring as shit for me.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
ultqq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalailama View Post
I random about 80% of the time, and never repick, so there are no heroes I don't play. The heroes I just hate randoming though are Warlock and WD, they are just boring as shit for me.
wd you at least can go baller mode on and build around ward, but ya there's no saving wl. who enjoys that shit
The night before each patch, IceFrog consumes a daunting, albeit measured quantity of psilocybin mushrooms, on a hilltop overlooking the city. There, teary-eyed and large of pupils, he describes with crude symbols in the dirt the microcosm of modern life psychotropically blossoming before him, to share with us the following day, when words return to his being. This is the metagame.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Inreet~
Banned

I hate Necrolic and Chen.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
kobyxx

Visage.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
AceMeril
Banned

None, played all. (except nigger new hero sky wrath shit.)
Old 04-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
gaibo1

On most cases you'll have to try out a hero before you can determine whether you like or hate playing that hero. Who knows, maybe after playing Invoker for 3 games you'll love playing him.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
God of Death

Steam: The God of Death
Suggestion Award Literary Award 

Visage is such a turd.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
ultqq

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaibo1 View Post
On most cases you'll have to try out a hero before you can determine whether you like or hate playing that hero. Who knows, maybe after playing Invoker for 3 games you'll love playing him.
i've played invoker and i didn't like him.

also wtf how am i the only one with this long list of never-played heroes. don't any of you think like "i feel like owning some noobs with ava+toss, time to play dota" and go in with a specific hero in mind

not that i always play -ap but in -rd and -sd i generally pick whatever i'm good at/don't mind playing, and in -cm i would never offer to play a hero i'm unfamiliar with
Old 04-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
CynthiaCrescent

Steam: lightredemption

I have played all heroes at least once, but there are those who I would never pick a 2nd time.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
oblio

While Dota League SIG was up I set personal "goal" - at least 1 win with every hero. It took me more than 6 months, since I play about 1 game per day these days, but I did it.

I think it's a very nice goal to have once in a while. But don't do it casually, do it in match making or in some sort of ladder. The main idea is to force yourself to win and be useful with all the heroes, especially those you hate.

If you're a new player you get to know all the heroes and their "power level". Don't do this in a casual environment since you'll get the wrong impression ("Bara is imba!").
If you're an old player you'll notice tons of changes - each Dota version changes abilities and adds new items that can turn a hero's playstyle around.

And last but not least, you'll figure out THAT YOU SUCK. I've played thousand of games and there are at least 20 heroes that I can't played well in a balanced game, for the life of me. I really don't understand it, but that's just how it is. I can't play QoP at all, but I can play Visage. Out of the 2, I'd say that the average player considers QoP easier to play...
Last edited by oblio; 04-13-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
Twilice

I've played every hero apart from the "new" 4.

Xin
Dragonus
Tresdin
Rizzrak

I even had to check the hero page to look up their names.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
gaibo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultqq View Post
don't you all think like "i feel like owning some noobs with ava+toss, time to play dota" and go in with a specific hero in mind
Yes, sometimes.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
Vot1_Bear

Suggestion Award 

Most of them are no surprise, though Drow and naga is certainly unusual.
PS: hook accuracy with rubick is significantly higher due to nearly zero cast time and availability of another long-range disable

Quote:
wd you at least can go baller mode on and build around ward, but ya there's no saving wl. who enjoys that shit
Who doesn't enjoy seeing enemies getting raped at laning phase with bonds, crawling due to upheaval and, of course, the golem gangrape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie. View Post
I build Satanic on Lucifer and I feel like a God.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
KamaSutra

all heroes that were introduced after 6.67c except gyro
Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
ultqq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot1_Bear View Post
Most of them are no surprise, though Drow and naga is certainly unusual.
PS: hook accuracy with rubick is significantly higher due to nearly zero cast time and availability of another long-range disable

Who doesn't enjoy seeing enemies getting raped at laning phase with bonds, crawling due to upheaval and, of course, the golem gangrape
now that i think about it i've played drow and pudge once each, long ago (i remember laning mid vs. weaver as drow, and the cast-time on hook)
Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
RaidenStorms
Banned

I tried all heroes at least once; however some heroes I do not play at all (didn't pick them more than 2-3 times in a game).

Examples:
- Pudge (seems fun to play, but never really bothered practicing him)
- Mirana (uninterested)
- Invoker (too lazy to memorize skill combinations, however I consider him a strong hero)
- Nevermore (squishy, needs tons of practice and last hitting which is tedious, annoying and hero as whole is kind of underwhelming to me)
- Windrunner (perhaps because I hate playing vs her, I avoid picking her so I don't end up being a hypocrite)

Other examples of heroes I avoid like plague in public / inhose games and play very rarely are hardcarries such as Void/Sniper/Medusa. Tho when I do play Void, I tend to go ganking build on him and use Aghanim. I hate ricing, especially when I dont have everything handed to me (free farm for example). Only hardcarry I enjoy is Leoric because he's baller.

I can micro Chen like np, I'm pretty ok with Meepo but I can't be bothered with those damned Familiars so I avoid Visage often.

Oh and out of new heroes I find Skywrath made pretty shitty (didn't play him more than once), others are OP but only Shredder is fun to play.

Quote:

i think pudge and potm are the most embarrassing
Because they're popular pubstompers so you feel inclined to pick them?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
Sven2k
Forum Staff

Steam: Sven2k

Played all but I don't play POTM and SF at all. I don't play Shadow Fiend cuz my ''X'' key is kind of broken and I always screw up my middle raze. I play Pudge quite rarely, mostly when I'm screwing around in Russian garena rooms.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #21
ultqq

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenStorms View Post
Because they're popular pubstompers so you feel inclined to pick them?
no, because they both have skill shots and they're both pretty representative of dota
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #22
gaibo1

Well, though I played all heroes for at least once (or maybe twice, who cares), I relatively dislike the following heroes:
  • Chen: cba to do all the jungling crap and to micro creeps, as well as constantly keeping an eye on allies' hp (you know, when you play pubs, allies die and they blame you for not using heal, but you don't know if they're dying or not).
  • Visage: again, too lazy to micro.
  • Syllabear: ditto, though I had a decent game for a few times before after randoming him.
  • Dirge: hate his soundset, and for that I never had a good impression on him.
  • Pudge: too lazy to practice playing him.
  • Lanaya: yeah I know she's pretty strong, but I don't really like her with short attack range and call her a ranged hero, even after Psi Blades.
  • Some random hero I randomed which I might think "oh god him again, bored, not playing".
  • Heroes I would random and find that I'll get raped, eg: getting Meepo when Lich is on the opponent team.

Can't think of anyone else at the moment. Though I don't like microing, I don't really mind playing maybe Meepo or Techies.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
hANDoFbLOOD

meepo. If i was ever to play him, i wouldn't take the ultimate.

Suggestion: Revive Kotl! Give him a reliable ganking tool! here: http://www.playdota.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691077

Hazaa!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #24
durugan

i think i already played all the hero in dota because we usually play sd or ar.. but there are certainly lots of heroes i dont want to play...
Old 04-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #25
lxsg

I think it would be easier for me to list the heroes I've played before.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #26
nephix

I played all of them.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #27
mrkpwnz

Xin, Dragonus, Shredder, Tresdin(hell yeah dota2), im not even missing those 4. Other than that i played all heroes lots of times, my least played hero is probably Wisp, since i dont like his concept at all(and cant/dont want play him).

^^
So I heard you like Zeus :P
Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #28
Maydie-

Sylla and Invoker. They intimidate me too much to play, even in pub games.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #29
lxsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkpwnz View Post
Xin, Dragonus, Shredder, Tresdin(hell yeah dota2), im not even missing those 4. Other than that i played all heroes lots of times, my least played hero is probably Wisp, since i dont like his concept at all(and cant/dont want play him).

^^
So I heard you like Zeus :P
...just 1 away from 100 games played with Zeus.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #30
DrB88

The 4 new heroes. Never played.
And also I can't play a decent Pudge/Mirana even if my life depended on him.
Also bad at puck, visage, TC,CG
I had a huge winrate witch Chen in Dota 1, but I kind of semi-fail with him in Dota 2.
My OD and Necrolyte are much stronger in D2 than in D1, while my weaver is weaker.
I really hate techies, both to play him and to play against him(no towerdiving QQ)

Support the Divine Rapier Movement-Build Divine on ALL the heroes

Old 04-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #31
Reesj

I never random in -ap games! I have never played wisp lol!
Heroes I would never play is Pudge as i suck with it!
Heroes I don't pick or repick in -ar are Visage, Chen, AA, wisp,dazzle.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #32
mikrodizels

Steam: Michael Angelo

I have played all heroes multyple times, but i never pick visage, and if i random it, i repick it. But heroes that i NEVER pick, only play if i random are - chen, enchantress, wisp, tiny, medusa, bane.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #33
Semi-Formal

I've played every hero at least once. In Dota1 anyways.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #34
Dwarrior92

i played with all, and im fairly decent with most of them.
still have to give a 2nd go to the 4 new, i tried them but only once so.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #35
mmkay

Drown, chen, invoker, shadow demon.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #36
ChibiNya

Steam: ChibiChanNya

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenStorms View Post
- Windrunner (perhaps because I hate playing vs her, I avoid picking her so I don't end up being a hypocrite)
You must be a sad man nya, for she is now picked in every game whether it's a pub or competitive nye x.x

On Topic. Mew has never played Nevermore or Lanaya.. Maybe once but it would have been a few years ago when mew began playing. Also have never played any of the new 4 cause of DotA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss_Kobra View Post
Haters gonna WOOF

Old 04-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #37
slence

I play them all but Visage and Chen. I rarely touch they, they are too suck. Unless i play ar mode
Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #38
z10

And you first noticed that she nukes hard when you played her, and not in many games when you played against her? It is like saying: oh wow, QoP ultimate does good AOE damage.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #39
Diamond123

Pudge, and I will never ever play him!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #40
QQmorebro

Visage top of the list.