Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #81
Koutsiog
Banned

Default Dota2 is going to be free to play

There WILL be premium accounts, cyborgmatt confirmed it
But we don't know what features premium accounts will have, hopefully a separate MM from free accounts like in HoN

Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #82
Leandros

Default Re: Dota2 is going to be free to play
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koutsiog View Post
There WILL be premium accounts, cyborgmatt confirmed it
But we don't know what features premium accounts will have, hopefully a separate MM from free accounts like in HoN
Agree, but the Premium Account have to be not that cheap (not like TF2, were you can buy anything and you have a premium), about 10 - 20 $/ is perfect.

Features: Matchmaking were you can select to play with or without free users, disable skins, be awesome.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #83
gurkburk

I'm hoping that you wont have to pay for the heroes, 9dollars for this hero, 9dollars for that one..

I'd rather buy the game for $30, and get everything for free, or maybe new skins for heroes could be costing a little bit aswell.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #84
jesusatan

1. "According to some Asian poorfags." Check.
2. Poor quality screenshot. Check.
3. Only one out of 40,000 beta key owners received the message. Check

seems legit.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #85
warlord_7

spreading false informations, misleading title, OP fails at life

Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #86
Koutsiog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandros View Post
Agree, but the Premium Account have to be not that cheap (not like TF2, were you can buy anything and you have a premium), about 10 - 20 $/ is perfect.

Features: Matchmaking were you can select to play with or without free users, disable skins, be awesome.
Sir are you retarded?
Firstly, why would anybody buy cosmetics if they were so easy to disable?

secondly, how would anyone pay 20$ to not play with noobs?

Of course it's going to be like tf2, nobody bar the most most retarded trolls would pay 5$ to play for a week and then get banned

Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #87
Leandros

Quote:
Sir are you retarded?

Quote:
Firstly, why would anybody buy cosmetics if they were so easy to disable?

secondly, how would anyone pay 20$ to not play with noobs?

Of course it's going to be like tf2, nobody bar the most most retarded trolls would pay 5$ to play for a week and then get banned

Firstly, for yourself? Or do you buy cosmetics that others can see that you spend money on useless things?

Secondly, noobs can also "buy" the game. And you have the choice. (or I don't get your question )

Ok, if I'll be like TF2 I'll quit after beta and play original DotA again.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #88
Drikam

If you pay you can -random a secreft hero.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #89
Koutsiog
Banned

Quote:

Firstly, for yourself? Or do you buy cosmetics that others can see that you spend money on useless things?

Secondly, noobs can also "buy" the game. And you have the choice. (or I don't get your question )

Ok, if I'll be like TF2 I'll quit after beta and play original DotA again.
If you want cosmetics for yourself you will just mod them in, valve is not stupid, they would have virtually 0 profit from cosmetics that way

I thought the problem was hackers and trolls, what makes a noob not want to pay 20$ on a game he likes?

Dota is also free, allowing any hackers and noobs inside, why do you play dota then?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #90
Frogcrew

Oh em gee guys. FTP?!?! I neva knew this would happen

Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #91
doctorwoot

This much is obvious, only question is what are we going to pay for? If they don't make us buy heroes like in LoL or HoN, or at least pay a flat amount for instant access to everything, this will be the best online game in history.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #92
burningsera

Guide Writing Award 

i think it is pretty obvious now. if you want dota1 players to move over, ie, majority of chinese players, FTP seems to be the only logical choice. and i dont think they will do the 'buy this hero for 10bucks' shit. Valve is not as stupid as lol/hon.

make some other one-time purchase option ill be very happy.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #93
Leandros

Yeah, its pretty obvious. It will be F2P, it'll be a similar system as TF2, you can buy Hats (), Skins and Equipment for your Heros.
Don't know if everything is only cosmetical, but I think, because Valve will make DotA 2 a E-Sport success, so they can't make heroes stronger with bought items. (or atleast I hope anything will be cosmetical).

You can see a "example" skin on Cyborgmatts Blog, they revealed a Orca skin for Tidehunter. Looks totally different, lol. But you can recognize him, this is what counts for me. I want to see clearly against which hero I fight.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #94
FischiO_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningsera View Post
i think it is pretty obvious now. if you want dota1 players to move over, ie, majority of chinese players, FTP seems to be the only logical choice. and i dont think they will do the 'buy this hero for 10bucks' shit. Valve is not as stupid as lol/hon.

make some other one-time purchase option ill be very happy.
It's just that you can make much money with the heroes ._.
But i trust in Icefrog :P

Old 04-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #95
Cymen
Forum Staff

This was pretty much clear for months LOL
Is anyone really surprised?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #96
Leandros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymen View Post
This was pretty much clear for months LOL
Is anyone really surprised?
Remember: It's not official. Only rumours. (But you're right, pretty obvious, because we spotted an item shop and free and premium accounts)

Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #97
doctorwoot

Valve already knows from Team Fortress 2 that to have a large playerbase, the best way to go is F2P. They want to spread the magic of Dota and get their name in the competitive scene with Dota 2 and CS:GO. My guess is they're gonna do both those things amazingly well.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #98
demonictemplar

Stop necroing threads....

Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #99
dirtsoda

People doesn't realize that if Valve is going to decide to lock some heroes and make ppl buy them later, most of the game modes of the game will be useless (like -rd and -ar) and the game will dumb down into a worthless casual shit.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #100
mestido

This doesn't seem like it's 100% confirmed...
And if that indeed gonna be a f2p game, what will they sell?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #101
burningsera

Guide Writing Award 

Quote:
You can see a "example" skin on Cyborgmatts Blog, they revealed a Orca skin for Tidehunter. Looks totally different, lol. But you can recognize him, this is what counts for me. I want to see clearly against which hero I fight.
the highly detailed models can easily to be 'skinned up' differently for people who want to pay. tbh if valve can get $1 from half the dota population, they would be counting money laughing like nintendo's wii.

Last edited by burningsera; 04-17-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #102
Sonic

I wish Dota 2 be a closed Beta till 2018

Old 04-17-2012, 03:45 AM   #103
FF_MikeRoch

Soooo... does that mean i have to buy the game?

Thanks to Geno. for the unexpected Sig :P

Old 04-17-2012, 04:21 AM   #104
FoxCharge

Quote:
All the cosmetic items are geared to ensure the hero is easily recognizable. Notice that all of the Jugg/Furion items revealed so far stay within the character's color scheme, and none of them are so over-the-top that the hero's shape would look drastically different.

Keep in mind that all cosmetic items will be processed through the Steam Workshop. The SW guidelines are really strict, and only a small fraction of items submitted are actually let into the game. Of particular note, in TF2's case:

"TF's characters have distinctive silhouettes that help a player differentiate between classes in the heat of battle. Consequently, we tend to avoid items that overtly obscure or confuse these silhouettes."

There are also tons of general color/design requirements in the above link. Anyone who is convinced that the cosmetic items will ruin gameplay by drastically altering hero appearance should take a long, hard look at the guidelines above. Valve isn't retarded. They're not going to make the cosmetic items so distracting that they impact the gameplay, so calm your tits.

Anyone who has ever seen a competitive TF2 match knows that cosmetic items are disabled anyway, ffs. The same will apply for Dota 2, you're not going to see Furion with different antlers at this year's International, not that different antlers would keep ANYONE from being able to easily pick him out.

Seriously, if you see Jugg carrying an alternate sword and can't tell who he is, you...
A) are not at all familiar with the heroes and need to spend more time in Dota 2,
B) need to put on some glasses, and/or
C) have a cognitive handicap and should probably not be concerning yourself with becoming good at Dota.

Besides, the Orca Tidehunter skin is totally badass. I love that it also changes the hero portrait (which is probably why Valve decided to process the portrait in-engine instead of creating an alternate model like SC2 portraits). He still retains his silhouette and general appearance, though, and I would have absolutely no confusion about which hero just blinked in.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #105
smajlone

Not bad!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #106
ristosr

This is fake.. even CS:GO keys when activated says Retail but it will be paid for sure.

Fake news!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #107
zeruuwind

There's no even remotely possibility of paid heroes.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #108
Claire Farron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floryda View Post
Nah. I have thought in my mind that Valve will make Dota 2 as a free-to-run game but players are required to buy point to buy the Dota 2 heroes(once bought, the hero will remain for that Steam account only).
Other word, you can run it for free.
However, if you want to play it with hero, you will need to use your cash to buy the hero.
This is the best idea I think, to reduce the game cost, reduce the number of leavers/spoilers, and most important Valve can earn more when new hero is going to be released because most players will tend to spend money to get the new hero into their account.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #109
TheRealCreator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ristosr View Post
This is fake.. even CS:GO keys when activated says Retail but it will be paid for sure.

Fake news!
nice 1st post

Old 04-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #110
Claire Farron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealCreator View Post
nice 1st post

It is 100% fake! Valve is not that stupid to run that big Dota 2 project without any good strategy to gain more profits back when it is releases. I am pretty sure they have many hidden strategies where only most of the good businessmen are able to see. Players like us(I admit it) only know to play the game but the developer actually got their strategies to slowly earn or eat our money.
I believe most of you already experienced it or saw a lot of MMORPG players are selling their accounts after played for months/years.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #111
doctorwoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Farron View Post
Nah. I have thought in my mind that Valve will make Dota 2 as a free-to-run game but players are required to buy point to buy the Dota 2 heroes(once bought, the hero will remain for that Steam account only).
Other word, you can run it for free.
However, if you want to play it with hero, you will need to use your cash to buy the hero.
This is the best idea I think, to reduce the game cost, reduce the number of leavers/spoilers, and most important Valve can earn more when new hero is going to be released because most players will tend to spend money to get the new hero into their account.
Selling heroes would gimp the game strategy. Look at LoL, people "main" heroes rather than learn to play them all equally and build a good team comp. That's rather problematic if you want the game to be competitive.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #112
AlbinoBunny

Yay, another place to talk about free to play models. Because I haven't done this before

Anyways, people wondering about extreme punishments for bans, it's a valve game, on steam, it will be VAC protected, which means that valve DO have the option of VAC banning the steam account which prevents the use of online games on that steam account, ANY GAME. IE, average people wont troll because it'll cost them the game library, wont stop dedicated trolls from making new accounts and so on but at least there's that punishment in place as possibility (though, I honestly doubt they'll use it considering what I see in League regarding 'OMG HE MADE MISTAKE REPORT HIM')

Unlocking characters slowly like any slow unlock content system is a good free to play model. I'd be willing to bet that valve would love to go with it to because it certainly brings in a good chunk of cash but there's two factors stopping it being likely:

1) DOTA1 exists, doesn't matter if people don't want to actually play it (like me, I don't like playing it) if they can point to it and go 'why am I unlocking/buying heroes if this exists' it'll undermine any attempts to charge for heroes.

2) it's a big thing up on League to allow anyone to have all the heroes, gives a big incentive for League players to switch over to DOTA2 or at least try it. If you don't think that Valve aren't eyeing up that tasty top of the genre money then your sorely mistaken.

Frankly I actually have to say this: I like having champions limited for lower skilled players, it encourages repeated playing, allowing players to get comftable with one hero and as a result start to learn aspects of the game as a whole rather than worrying about playing their character correctly.

And regarding people saying that competitive play would be undermined by this

Seriously, any 'competitive' player (or someone who at least thought of themselves as such) would likley by whatever packages (and I'll bet my left nut there WILL be launch packages if it's F2P) that contain game content and it'd become a non factor. Complaining that a game requires a money investment before you can compete is like saying you should be able to play competitive CS on a crappy internet connection, lovely in theory but not gonna happen.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #113
Trock

never sell heroes out! fck that game if this is the case! cosmetics ok heroes no!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #114
WaIkingDisaster

So did they announced release date yet?

Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #115
amaterv

Quote:
Originally Posted by digirider View Post
there wont be a need to worry about trolls, noobs, new players or a way to screen them, once Dota2 goes full release they will update the match making system so that you will play with people in your skill level, meaning as long as you arent a idiot yourself, you wont play with them.

NOTE: currently MM is set up to even out your score and give all players a good game experience, pairing idiots with good players and vice versa averaging everyons win rate around 50% for beta purposes.
disagree

this happen to me sometimes more than 3 times
let we say i got around 200 wins then i go MM

dyou know what 1 got

i got 4 player with 0-50 wins and dunno who they are
and the opponent is 5 player party with around 200 wins

and the result is 99% same with my prediction when seeing what heroes that they pick

if u want a challenge to play with some trolls, tard, wood PC and bad connection
u can find them at midday on sunday, prepare ur self or u'll be mad

Old 08-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #116
TheDarkWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterv View Post
disagree

this happen to me sometimes more than 3 times
let we say i got around 200 wins then i go MM

dyou know what 1 got

i got 4 player with 0-50 wins and dunno who they are
and the opponent is 5 player party with around 200 wins

and the result is 99% same with my prediction when seeing what heroes that they pick

if u want a challenge to play with some trolls, tard, wood PC and bad connection
u can find them at midday on sunday, prepare ur self or u'll be mad
Quote:
Originally Posted by digirider View Post
there wont be a need to worry about trolls, noobs, new players or a way to screen them, once Dota2 goes full release they will update the match making system so that you will play with people in your skill level, meaning as long as you arent a idiot yourself, you wont play with them.

NOTE: currently MM is set up to even out your score and give all players a good game experience, pairing idiots with good players and vice versa averaging everyons win rate around 50% for beta purposes.
I hope.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #117
One.More.Game.

Location: HUEHEUHAUEHAUEHUAEHUAEHAUEHAUEHAUEHUAEHUAEHUAEHUHUHEUHUAHUAHEUHAUHAUHEUHAEUHUEHAUHAHUAHUHEUAHUEAHEUH

really?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #118
ShowThemHell
Banned

Who the fuck necroed this?

Btw, this thread should be closed. Because everyone must know this by now and it was derailed.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #119
permafrosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyEx View Post
I certainly hope it has a really good entry restrictions, ban/report system

trolls/griefers can simply swarm dota 2 if it's f2p
yea. Guess we better take advantage of the current "better pubs" while we can Hopefully after it goes f2p i won't have idiots going gloves of haste on their first item.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #120
JohnAsmar

OMG! YES!

Respect this little ball:
Steam: Mr_Toksic

Closed Thread
  Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat