Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #81
PunKZ

Default Avatar 2!?

So do I, seems like it could be really good.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #82
PunKZ

Default Re: Avatar 2!?
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Episode #2: http://www.animehere.com/avatar-the-...episode-2.html
Old 03-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #83
Foede
Forum Staff

Awesome 

The thing I'm most curious about right now, is if Kora is gonna learn air bending on this season (considering its named "air book") and then be a full avatar for the rest of the series.

One of the things I liked about Avatar 1 is the mix of the 2 objectives, fighting the fire army on one side, and Ang learning how to be an avatar on the other, but it seems Kora is gonna be much more dedicated on fighting the mysterious bad guys.

Ang being forced to travel around the world looking for bending masters was a good excuse to introduce lots of new places and characters.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #84
PunKZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foede View Post
The thing I'm most curious about right now, is if Kora is gonna learn air bending on this season (considering its named "air book") and then be a full avatar for the rest of the series.

One of the things I liked about Avatar 1 is the mix of the 2 objectives, fighting the fire army on one side, and Ang learning how to be an avatar on the other, but it seems Kora is gonna be much more dedicated on fighting the mysterious bad guys.

Ang being forced to travel around the world looking for bending masters was a good excuse to introduce lots of new places and characters.
Yeah, me too.

Indeed it was. Well, actually, I think that if I had to choose between another "travle-around-the-world-to-learn-bending-while-fighting-the-fire-nation" compared to a new take on it, I'd prefer a new take on it. I'm very curious to see where this takes us overall. Which sides she will pick in the ongoing revolution as well as if she ever will leave the capital city. Who knows. Something that would be really unexpected would be if this series ended with all bending being prohibited. Hm.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #85
Foede
Forum Staff

Awesome 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunKZ View Post
I'm very curious to see where this takes us overall. Which sides she will pick in the ongoing revolution as well as if she ever will leave the capital city. Who knows. Something that would be really unexpected would be if this series ended with all bending being prohibited. Hm.
Well, she's kinda the epitome of bending, so I think they're gonna fight each other no matter what. It would be interesting thou if the producers can give them some good logical reasoning to be against bending, or else they are just some mindless bad guys who want to fuck shit up just because.

Also, I would be highly dissapointed if they spend more than one season in capital city alone, considering the beautiful and huge world they can explore!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #86
PunKZ

Quote:
Well, she's kinda the epitome of bending, so I think they're gonna fight each other no matter what. It would be interesting thou if the producers can give them some good logical reasoning to be against bending, or else they are just some mindless bad guys who want to fuck shit up just because.

Also, I would be highly dissapointed if they spend more than one season in capital city alone, considering the beautiful and huge world they can explore!
Agreed, just like to think of the possibilities.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #87
PunKZ

Here's where it starts to get really good.
http://www.animehere.com/avatar-the-...episode-3.html
Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #88
Idioticus

oooo
I just watched episode 3, and I have to tell ya, this thing can go a way I would most certainly enjoy.

I'll summarize it:
The benders are the bad guys, including the avatar, though she won't consider herself one until the very end when something forces her to realize it.

oo, or even better, she won't realize it, and she'll cause a new age of suffering through enforcing the separation of benders and non-benders...

so many good options that don't involve the crappy "oh the mask guy is just lying and taking power to take everything over".
For once i'd like to see the "big bad guy" really be the misunderstood good guy. Atleast his cause is just (assuming he's not gathering the power).
Old 04-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #89
PunKZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioticus View Post
oooo
I just watched episode 3, and I have to tell ya, this thing can go a way I would most certainly enjoy.

I'll summarize it:
The benders are the bad guys, including the avatar, though she won't consider herself one until the very end when something forces her to realize it.

oo, or even better, she won't realize it, and she'll cause a new age of suffering through enforcing the separation of benders and non-benders...

so many good options that don't involve the crappy "oh the mask guy is just lying and taking power to take everything over".
For once i'd like to see the "big bad guy" really be the misunderstood good guy. Atleast his cause is just (assuming he's not gathering the power).
Indeed, I really like it. And the perspective they're bringing forth. Could this be a hint to religion?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #90
SoletLuna
Forum Staff

How many episodes was this supposed to take again?

That's quite a quick pace that's pulling through, and I like it. Also, still enough time to be silly.

I have the feeling Amon is actually int truth a bender, who has the ability or specialty with however to regulate the bending mechanisms... Brain waves/body electricity stuff? Or he is a master martial artists with awesome control over the enemy's body... or the Avatar powers took the wrong path.

Lightning and metal bending seems quite wide spread, as opposed to back, when Aang was en route, so I wish to see more unusual bending in the future
Old 04-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #91
Idioticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoletLuna View Post
How many episodes was this supposed to take again?

That's quite a quick pace that's pulling through, and I like it. Also, still enough time to be silly.

I have the feeling Amon is actually int truth a bender, who has the ability or specialty with however to regulate the bending mechanisms... Brain waves/body electricity stuff? Or he is a master martial artists with awesome control over the enemy's body... or the Avatar powers took the wrong path.

Lightning and metal bending seems quite wide spread, as opposed to back, when Aang was en route, so I wish to see more unusual bending in the future
All I hope, is that the mask guy wins.

Even an idiot can see that seperating people into castes will only cause oppression. Benders (atleast if they act like people in the real world would) will always consider themselves superior to regular people, and why shouldn't they? They have magic boom boom.
Even if there are some "noble" benders who don't think that way, it wouldn't matter, a difference that big will always cause separation.

Although, if they do make the mask guy lose, and him being a bad guy... I'd like to see them spin a story on how his cause is evil.
I sure hope it doesn't become "communism bad, feudalism good"
Old 04-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #92
PunKZ

Quote:
All I hope, is that the mask guy wins.

Even an idiot can see that seperating people into castes will only cause oppression. Benders (atleast if they act like people in the real world would) will always consider themselves superior to regular people, and why shouldn't they? They have magic boom boom.
Even if there are some "noble" benders who don't think that way, it wouldn't matter, a difference that big will always cause separation.

Although, if they do make the mask guy lose, and him being a bad guy... I'd like to see them spin a story on how his cause is evil.
I sure hope it doesn't become "communism bad, feudalism good"
No matter where this is going it's a brave path they choose to walk with this. Gonna be extremely interesting.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #93
Lord_Talron

im already incredibly pleased. really excited to see how Amon managed to learn that giant turtle's bending trick and who the fuck he really is.

i have a feeling the entirety of the show is going to be in republic city you can tell a good story in a small venue and im glad that they arent trying to make it exactly like the last airbender and think up some massive global threat. if you look at the history of this world that they've given us, most avatars seem to have dealt with relatively local problems and didnt seem to move far out of their immediate area

that one girl avatar that they kept referencing in the last airbender (cant remember her name right now, sorry) kinda just protected the local area from what info they gave us
Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #94
BattledOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Talron View Post
im already incredibly pleased. really excited to see how Amon managed to learn that giant turtle's bending trick and who the fuck he really is.

i have a feeling the entirety of the show is going to be in republic city you can tell a good story in a small venue and im glad that they arent trying to make it exactly like the last airbender and think up some massive global threat. if you look at the history of this world that they've given us, most avatars seem to have dealt with relatively local problems and didnt seem to move far out of their immediate area

that one girl avatar that they kept referencing in the last airbender (cant remember her name right now, sorry) kinda just protected the local area from what info they gave us
Kioshi. Yeah it so happened she protected the village she was born in. Maybe avatars are born where major conflicts are about to happen? Also I'm sure if there would be a threat rising on the other end of the world avatar would travel there.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #95
Idioticus

I think the whole concept of avatars is an autocratic one.

It says to the regular folk, that no matter how hard they try, they'll never be special enough to do what's needed. It makes them succumb to whatever position they were born to, they'll always remain third-class citizens, right after normal benders.

It's an honorable path the mask guy's taken. I just hope the series doesn't cater towards the people who get themselves off fantasizing about being reborn with special powers. It's a bleak world where the only way to make a change is to be born with magnificent power.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #96
PunKZ

Episode 4 is out btw.
http://www.animehere.com/avatar-the-...episode-4.html
Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #97
Idioticus

Anyone else notice how the highest positions are filled with benders?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #98
Lord_Talron

Quote:
you can watch them all on nick right now too

Quote:
I think the whole concept of avatars is an autocratic one.

It says to the regular folk, that no matter how hard they try, they'll never be special enough to do what's needed. It makes them succumb to whatever position they were born to, they'll always remain third-class citizens, right after normal benders.

It's an honorable path the mask guy's taken. I just hope the series doesn't cater towards the people who get themselves off fantasizing about being reborn with special powers. It's a bleak world where the only way to make a change is to be born with magnificent power.
the last airbender showcased two people without bending abilities that were highly capable of measuring up to even the avatar. also sokka was an incredibly capable player who had several successful encounters with benders all because he was a creative, quick thinker.

this new show has lots of people who are chakra blockers and technology is on the rise. you can already see bending becoming a little obsolete in everyday life
Old 05-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #99
Foede
Forum Staff

Awesome 

I wonder, from a sort of realistic and sociological point of view, how the entire culture and society of that world would end up catering towards benders, ever since the beginning of time. I mean, if bending is something that has been happening for hundreds of years, it's only natural to assume that they have managed to get positions of power in every time and every place, because they are clearly in a better position than non-benders, from almost any perspective.

It's kind of a wonder that non-benders haven't been made slaves from the beginning. Or perhaps that is the Avatar's doing as well?

Quote:
the last airbender showcased two people without bending abilities that were highly capable of measuring up to even the avatar. also sokka was an incredibly capable player who had several successful encounters with benders all because he was a creative, quick thinker.
Yeah, but I would consider those as an exception. I mean, imagine what if someone with the brain of Zokka, also happened to be an earth bender, to say an example. Bending is something that happens out of pure luck, and it simply means an inherent advantage over everyone else who can't do the same.

Benders have super-powers, it's just that simple, and we're dealing with a LOT of people with super-powers.

Quote:
this new show has lots of people who are chakra blockers and technology is on the rise. you can already see bending becoming a little obsolete in everyday life
That might be true, but I think we're still a long way to get there. And even if the technology gets us there, the cultural significance placed on benders would still be just as strong.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #100
PunKZ

Quote:
you can watch them all on nick right now too
I don't have a TV.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #101
Foede
Forum Staff

Awesome 

Don't you have internet to watch TV now? o.o
Old 05-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #102
Idioticus

Quote:
Don't you have internet to watch TV now? o.o
What is this "Tee-Vee" you are referring to?
Old 05-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #103
Lord_Talron

Quote:
I don't have a TV.
the website, silly. you really think they are showing 24 hour marathons of the show?
Old 05-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #104
BattledOne

I bet Amon paid the refries.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #105
Subway

Caught up with episode 5 last night and it was nice to get a breather episode from the dramatic equalist scenes. The focus was the probending tournament, working out their hormonal feelings and coming together as an official party.

Korra is great. Her aggressive assured nature is refreshing after Aang's slower development. There isn't anything in the new series I find disappointing. It has surpassed my expectations and dig all the characters and pet animals. They embody the spirit of the originals and wouldn't be at all surprised if they're the same voice actors (even better).

Old 05-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #106
Lord_Talron

bo lin's face when he saw korra and his brother kissing was so sad! xD
Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #107
PunKZ

I really don't like the new RC, RC kinda represented something else than what it is now to me.. but oh well, anyway, I'm excited for the next episode coming out today in Sweden!

EDIT: Nvm, it already came out.
EDIT 2: Wow, that was probably the best episode yet.
Last edited by PunKZ; 05-13-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #108
mrkcomt97

OMFG i love avatar i know i heard of it likae 5 months ago, but still avatar is my favorita anime i want it to come out already!
Old 05-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #109
Subway

Watched 06, Tenzin you heartbreaker.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #110
PunKZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkcomt97 View Post
OMFG i love avatar i know i heard of it likae 5 months ago, but still avatar is my favorita anime i want it to come out already!
It is out. 6 episodes have been released.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #111
jamaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway View Post
Watched 06, Tenzin you heartbreaker.
What a player, that exchange after the meeting between him and Korra is Avatar gold.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #112
jamaca

Quote:
I wonder, from a sort of realistic and sociological point of view, how the entire culture and society of that world would end up catering towards benders, ever since the beginning of time. I mean, if bending is something that has been happening for hundreds of years, it's only natural to assume that they have managed to get positions of power in every time and every place, because they are clearly in a better position than non-benders, from almost any perspective.

It's kind of a wonder that non-benders haven't been made slaves from the beginning. Or perhaps that is the Avatar's doing as well?

Yeah, but I would consider those as an exception. I mean, imagine what if someone with the brain of Zokka, also happened to be an earth bender, to say an example. Bending is something that happens out of pure luck, and it simply means an inherent advantage over everyone else who can't do the same.

Benders have super-powers, it's just that simple, and we're dealing with a LOT of people with super-powers.

That might be true, but I think we're still a long way to get there. And even if the technology gets us there, the cultural significance placed on benders would still be just as strong.

very interesting points, I was thinking the same thing. I have a background in architecture which includes studies of urbanity. From what I derived from this season, there is a strong emphasis on the modern city, issues such as immigration (how will different cultures/people/benders live together) density (increase in anonymity, apathy and law enforcement due to lack of neighbourly engagement) and equality all come up ,mix that with the industrial revolution and the dieing of old traditions interesting things should happen.

you also raise an interesting point with the inevitibility of benders being/becomming greater than normal citizens, I for one wonder why the vast majority of society isnt already benders? from a evolutionary point of view of natural selection and sexual selection (bender is hot no?) would benders not take over the majority of the gene pool given enough time, even if benders produce non bending children?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #113
Idioticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaca View Post
you also raise an interesting point with the inevitibility of benders being/becomming greater than normal citizens, I for one wonder why the vast majority of society isnt already benders? from a evolutionary point of view of natural selection and sexual selection (bender is hot no?) would benders not take over the majority of the gene pool given enough time, even if benders produce non bending children?
Benders are the ruling class in both avatars. in case you didn't notice, the council consists of nothing but benders.

Bending does seem genetic, seeing as how all air benders are now related to the avatar from avatar 1.
So let's go with genetic point of view:

1. Certain genes make up the ability for an individual to bend a certain element. This would mean the genes are seperate between element benders.
2. it could be that there's a pool of genes that, when a certain combination is achieved an ability to bend a particular element is granted.

Either case, this could also mean, that should there be a bender with an affinity for more than 1 element, it would die as a foetus, or have no bending at all: Overdominance

The avatar could be explained that the required genes are numerous enough to make the chance of an avatar appearing 1/x-billion, due to there being only a single possible way the genes could arrange themselves to work in a working order.
or... ofcourse, magic.

Anyhow, if bending is genetic, the only reason everyone's not a bender is because of overdominance of the genes.

Back to the series:
Either the benders crack down on all non-benders or the non-benders will win eventually.

Also, i've had my suspicions that the mask guy is an avatar himself. Seeing as avatar 1 removed the big bad firebenders ability to bend fire with avatar power.
If the mask guy is an avatar himself, the genetics would fit perfectly.
Last edited by Idioticus; 05-13-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #114
StraY_WolF

^- seems you got the wrong idea of what an Avatar (in that universe) is.

The council doesn't consist of avatars, they are normal benders. And there can't be 2 avatar exist in the same time (since avatar is reborn form the old one). Also, they ability to remove bending is learnt (from a giant tortoise), not an ability of that is genetic. So a normal bender and probably a normal person can learn the ability to remove bending.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #115
Idioticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraY_WolF View Post
^- seems you got the wrong idea of what an Avatar (in that universe) is.

The council doesn't consist of avatars, they are normal benders. And there can't be 2 avatar exist in the same time (since avatar is reborn form the old one). Also, they ability to remove bending is learnt (from a giant tortoise), not an ability of that is genetic. So a normal bender and probably a normal person can learn the ability to remove bending.
yes i meant benders, not avatars. the situation got fixed.

But didn't the removal require all 4 elemental bending powers?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #116
StraY_WolF

Quote:
yes i meant benders, not avatars. the situation got fixed.

But didn't the removal require all 4 elemental bending powers?
No actually. It was never stated what is required to remove bending ability, or show the needs for any bending ability to remove bending. Spiritual, maybe.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #117
Lord_Talron

Quote:
Benders are the ruling class in both avatars. in case you didn't notice, the council consists of nothing but benders.

Bending does seem genetic, seeing as how all air benders are now related to the avatar from avatar 1.
So let's go with genetic point of view:

1. Certain genes make up the ability for an individual to bend a certain element. This would mean the genes are seperate between element benders.
2. it could be that there's a pool of genes that, when a certain combination is achieved an ability to bend a particular element is granted.

Either case, this could also mean, that should there be a bender with an affinity for more than 1 element, it would die as a foetus, or have no bending at all: Overdominance

The avatar could be explained that the required genes are numerous enough to make the chance of an avatar appearing 1/x-billion, due to there being only a single possible way the genes could arrange themselves to work in a working order.
or... ofcourse, magic.

Anyhow, if bending is genetic, the only reason everyone's not a bender is because of overdominance of the genes.

Back to the series:
Either the benders crack down on all non-benders or the non-benders will win eventually.

Also, i've had my suspicions that the mask guy is an avatar himself. Seeing as avatar 1 removed the big bad firebenders ability to bend fire with avatar power.
If the mask guy is an avatar himself, the genetics would fit perfectly.
id say assuming its genetic is a poor argument since theres no proof that it is a genetically based ability. in fact the evidence, id say points to it being a spiritual or mystical ability which is certainly not based in science and therefor no such argument could be made.
also: the avatar is always the reincarnation of the last avatar, so logically there can only be one avatar at a time.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #118
Idioticus

Quote:
id say assuming its genetic is a poor argument since theres no proof that it is a genetically based ability. in fact the evidence, id say points to it being a spiritual or mystical ability which is certainly not based in science and therefor no such argument could be made.
also: the avatar is always the reincarnation of the last avatar, so logically there can only be one avatar at a time.
Tell me again how there are no air benders aside from the ones who are related to the avatar in avatar 1, or am i missing something?

Also, if it were not hereditary, how come they could wipe out the airbenders in the first place?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #119
Lord_Talron

hereditary ≠ genetic when you have mystical forces involved. it most likely has something to do with the spirit or soul which i think you could safely say is unaffected by genetics
Old 05-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #120
Audacious

The Kora chick, totally acts like the stereotypical gamer girl, which is kinda cool.
  Entertainment Random Chat