Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
TwoHourMotel
Member
 
TwoHourMotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,873
TwoHourMotel is offline

Default Glass found on Mars




Dark regions on Mars are made of glass


This is so awesome, apparently it was formed by ancient volcanoes. However they aren't sure of the exact circumstances that happened to form these dark glassy regions.
Quote:
Horgan says magma from Martian volcanoes interacting with water ice and snow is a possibility. That would make these regions (pictured right) potential hotspots for alien life because they would have held chemical-rich water - a key ingredient for life.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
565656
Member
 
565656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 546
565656 is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Hmm, so Bethesda was right. Can we make Daedric armor from this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
badmafa
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,500
badmafa is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 565656 View Post
Hmm, so Bethesda was right. Can we make Daedric armor from this?
Only if your Blacksmithing is 75.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Pinopi
Graphics Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jordan
Posts: 2,822
Blog Entries: 1
Pinopi is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

nevermind, found what i'm exactly looking for.

OT: Cool information, but how are volcanoes made up in the space if there is no gravity?
__________________
why won't you make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
badmafa
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,500
badmafa is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinopi View Post
nevermind, found what i'm exactly looking for.

OT: Cool information, but how are volcanoes made up in the space if there is no gravity?
Mars has gravity on account of having mass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
TwoHourMotel
Member
 
TwoHourMotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,873
TwoHourMotel is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinopi View Post
nevermind, found what i'm exactly looking for.

OT: Cool information, but how are volcanoes made up in the space if there is no gravity?
Mars is a planet. There is even evidence of ancient volcanoes on the moon.

Also, I wonder how big these things are, I don't think they mention it in the article

edit: Sigh nvm, apparently this region covers 10 square million kilometers
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
565656
Member
 
565656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 546
565656 is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHourMotel View Post
Mars is a planet. There is even evidence of ancient volcanoes on the moon.

Also, I wonder how big these things are, I don't think they mention it in the article

edit: Sigh nvm, apparently this region covers 10 square million kilometers
Pics or it didn't happen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
TwoHourMotel
Member
 
TwoHourMotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,873
TwoHourMotel is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 565656 View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...085558,00.html

edit: I'm surprised no theists posted here yet, considering it makes sense that god built glass on mars right?
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
sekhar4
Member
 
sekhar4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 775
sekhar4 is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinopi View Post
nevermind, found what i'm exactly looking for.

OT: Cool information, but how are volcanoes made up in the space if there is no gravity?
lawl, the biggest mountain in the solar system called Olympus Mons (3-4 times bigger than Mt.Everest) is in mars, and its a dormant volcano to boot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
Pwntlolz
Member
 
Pwntlolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 5,266
Pwntlolz is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

becoming an astrophysicist is arguably the most entertaining career in the world
__________________
Иф юр ридынг дис юр а пуси
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
I'd say remove the stun from shackles and shes fine.


"I ain't no scientician but I don't remember being no monkey."
"Family reunion tomorrow, better buy some condoms."
-Redneck Randal
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
LulzYeah Cdeqz
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,725
LulzYeah Cdeqz is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwntlolz View Post
becoming an astrophysicist is arguably the most entertaining career in the world
Astronomy in general is awesome. Not sure of the actual works needed to be done though.

Must be an amazing landscape of glasses!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
Fluicor
Member
 
Fluicor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the most arid desert in the world.
Posts: 1,096
Fluicor is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Astronomy is not that awesome.Yes,the discoveries made by astrophysicists are awe inspiring and very cool most of the times,but the work needed to find them is actually pretty boring.

Geology in the other hand is the most awesome shit ever
__________________

Shaking it is all I know.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #13
jamaca
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 642
jamaca is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinopi View Post
nevermind, found what i'm exactly looking for.

OT: Cool information, but how are volcanoes made up in the space if there is no gravity?
I just got up but this completely made my day.


~sorry off topic
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #14
DeliciousCaek
Member
 
DeliciousCaek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,111
Blog Entries: 1
DeliciousCaek is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

So thats where my glass went
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
Pwntlolz
Member
 
Pwntlolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 5,266
Pwntlolz is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinopi View Post
OT: Cool information, but how are volcanoes made up in the space if there is no gravity?
As long as there are objects in the universe there is gravity
it's also worth mentioning that the formation of volcanoes is relatively independent of gravity
__________________
Иф юр ридынг дис юр а пуси
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
I'd say remove the stun from shackles and shes fine.


"I ain't no scientician but I don't remember being no monkey."
"Family reunion tomorrow, better buy some condoms."
-Redneck Randal
  Reply With Quote
Last edited by Pwntlolz; 04-21-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #16
Fredbull
Member
 
Fredbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Far away from you, hopefully.
Posts: 799
Fredbull is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinopi View Post
OT: Cool information, but how are volcanoes made up in the space if there is no gravity?

I really hope this is trolling

OT: Mars is getting more and more awesome every year :3 I hope someday we can expand there
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #17
Banned
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Banned
Posts: 1,633
Banned is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredbull View Post
I really hope this is trolling

OT: Mars is getting more and more awesome every year :3 I hope someday we can expand there
Better learn how to speak Chinese then
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #18
Fluicor
Member
 
Fluicor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the most arid desert in the world.
Posts: 1,096
Fluicor is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredbull View Post
I really hope this is trolling

OT: Mars is getting more and more awesome every year :3 I hope someday we can expand there
Highly doubtable,mars core and tectonic plaques are dead,so no real reason to establish there other than for shit and giggles(although science loves shits and giggles)
__________________

Shaking it is all I know.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:48 AM   #19
TwoHourMotel
Member
 
TwoHourMotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,873
TwoHourMotel is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluicor View Post
Highly doubtable,mars core and tectonic plaques are dead,so no real reason to establish there other than for shit and giggles(although science loves shits and giggles)
Couldn't we someday terraform it to make it habitable?
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 AM   #20
Fluicor
Member
 
Fluicor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the most arid desert in the world.
Posts: 1,096
Fluicor is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHourMotel View Post
Couldn't we someday terraform it to make it habitable?
Asuming we have super advanced technology making terraforming a planet posible,mars is not an adequate candidate(though the only one in the solar system ).What makes our planet living and thriving is his core and plate tectonics.Yes,the energy from the sun is important,but the heat from the core and the elements dinamic from mid-ocean ridges and the subducting plates is far more important.
Mars had a bigger core-to-crust ratio,wich made it cool faster(and also generate those gigantic volcanoes).If we had terraforming tech we would be better trying to re-terraform our own planet.
__________________

Shaking it is all I know.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:20 AM   #21
TwoHourMotel
Member
 
TwoHourMotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,873
TwoHourMotel is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluicor View Post
Asuming we have super advanced technology making terraforming a planet posible,mars is not an adequate candidate(though the only one in the solar system ).What makes our planet living and thriving is his core and plate tectonics.Yes,the energy from the sun is important,but the heat from the core and the elements dinamic from mid-ocean ridges and the subducting plates is far more important.
Mars had a bigger core-to-crust ratio,wich made it cool faster(and also generate those gigantic volcanoes).If we had terraforming tech we would be better trying to re-terraform our own planet.
Hmm... This is rather interesting. Thanks for the reply.

However, I don't think we could turn the whole planet into Earth 2.0, I don't see why we couldn't create a biosphere that could sustain life
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #22
Fluicor
Member
 
Fluicor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the most arid desert in the world.
Posts: 1,096
Fluicor is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHourMotel View Post
Hmm... This is rather interesting. Thanks for the reply.

However, I don't think we could turn the whole planet into Earth 2.0, I don't see why we couldn't create a biosphere that could sustain life
It wouldnt be self-sustained life,it would be more like a chicken farm under the sea in a glass dome.Take away human complete intervention in any and all procesess and it will just wither away.Mars inhospitable geography wouldnt help either.

EDIT for theory craft sake:
So,lets say we replicate our atmosphere,we refill mars giantics oceans, introduce every vital bio-component our planet needs(namely and most important plankton),modify the ground to make it fertile,all that work would be for naught if the plate tectonic is stagnant,for it is the main tool for the world autorenewal.The planet would be a red dead rock again in god-knows how much time.
__________________

Shaking it is all I know.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #23
Ali Radicali
Member
 
Ali Radicali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam, Holland
Posts: 3,674
Ali Radicali is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluicor View Post
It wouldnt be self-sustained life,it would be more like a chicken farm under the sea in a glass dome.Take away human complete intervention in any and all procesess and it will just wither away.Mars inhospitable geography wouldnt help either.

EDIT for theory craft sake:
So,lets say we replicate our atmosphere,we refill mars giantics oceans, introduce every vital bio-component our planet needs(namely and most important plankton),modify the ground to make it fertile,all that work would be for naught if the plate tectonic is stagnant,for it is the main tool for the world autorenewal.The planet would be a red dead rock again in god-knows how much time.
What you're overlooking is the time scale IMO. Yes, a planet without plate tectonics to keep the rock cycle spinning won't be able to sustain life indefinitely without intervention, but that's really not what we'd be trying to accomplish, at least not in the short term.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
Fluicor
Member
 
Fluicor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the most arid desert in the world.
Posts: 1,096
Fluicor is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Radicali View Post
What you're overlooking is the time scale IMO. Yes, a planet without plate tectonics to keep the rock cycle spinning won't be able to sustain life indefinitely without intervention, but that's really not what we'd be trying to accomplish, at least not in the short term.
I wasnt overlooking the timescale,but there is no way you can predict the lasting effects of terraforming in a dead planet.Life could last maybe a hundred years,it could be a thousand,or maybe just ten.Such a big effort can only mean that any plan made for a terraformed planet cant be for short term.
__________________

Shaking it is all I know.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #25
Pinopi
Graphics Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jordan
Posts: 2,822
Blog Entries: 1
Pinopi is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredbull View Post
I really hope this is trolling
lack of knowledge ≠ trolling
__________________
why won't you make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #26
Kaiverrettu
Member
 
Kaiverrettu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Suomi
Posts: 2,852
Kaiverrettu is offline
Default Re: Glass found on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 565656 View Post
Hmm, so Bethesda was right. Can we make Daedric armor from this?
Buahaa this actually crossed my mind, minus daedric plus glass
__________________

Help our carries in pubs! Dynamically increase the amount of neutral camps on the map depending on the number of carries in team.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
  Entertainment World News & Debates


Forum Jump

Thread Tools