Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #41
Jakino2

Default Guild Wars 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmar-official View Post
Wow! Weapons look really cool and armor is great too. Anyone else buying this game for sure? I heard CE will cost a lot (200-300 bucks) but considering there are no subscriptions it's really not that much...
Price that high would be suicide for marketing. I bet the information comes from the same people screaming its wow clone
Old 10-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #42
Linism

Default Re: Guild Wars 2

One of the best parts of GW in my opinion was you could choose how your character looks, all end game armors/weapons had the same base stats and the bonus stats are dropped as runes so you could make 7 different looking armor sets with the exact stats.

Unlike WoW where the higher up in level you go, the less cosmetic choice you had. Since no one would party with someone who isn't wearing a xxxx raid yyyy gear.

edit: i'm thinking wow made it so that all the noobs can see a guy wearing a certain armor and know that he went where and owned what... this would be an awesome vanity system if there were limited numbers of said item... but when u walk in Dalaran chances are everyone who has the same build as you looks exactly like you thanks to mass-producable drops.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #43
sniperattack

Article about Loot in GW2 A Rewarding Experience – John Hargrove Talks About Loot – ArenaNet Blog

I can't wait for this game omg
Old 10-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #44
Linism

Dang Hall of Monuments, I'm reviving my long dead account just to scrub all the points I can for GW2... not much though... don't think I'll ever get my hands on that Jellyfish...

Hall of Monuments Calculator
Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #45
Sven2k
Forum Staff

Steam: Sven2k

Guild Wars beta footage

Old 04-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #46
R.B.Economy

Guide Writing Award Suggestion Award 

It's surprising that this thread is left not updated for 2 months now although the beta is around the corner...or the fans are too busy checking it out and have no time for PD anymore? Haha...

It sucks that the beta can't be test on Macs... it makes me really want to get a new PC just for GW2... oh well...

Thanks to judges NuclearCookie, Necamijat and special thanks to Lotus V Eater for the banner.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #47
Nikmar-official

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.B.Economy View Post
It's surprising that this thread is left not updated for 2 months now although the beta is around the corner...or the fans are too busy checking it out and have no time for PD anymore? Haha...

It sucks that the beta can't be test on Macs... it makes me really want to get a new PC just for GW2... oh well...
I agree with you, it's kinda surprising that not many people are interested in discussing GW2 even tho 90% of my friends who play DotA are interested in GW2.

If I was you...I would definately buy a new PC. I'm serious. This might be the best game ever produced. Mark my words

Click here to read my comic guide for Gyrocopter.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #48
YajirobeFromDC
Banned

Dled the client already, ready to have absolutely no life this weekend when beta releases.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #49
мusịĸ

Quote:
Originally Posted by YajirobeFromDC View Post
Dled the client already, ready to have absolutely no life this weekend when beta releases.
I'm so jealous of you guys.

I only have my shitty laptop with which I can't possibly play the game.

If I just had moneys I'd have my desktop built by now...
Life is a waterfall|My YouTube Channel|Realized by Kakkun!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #50
Koutsiog
Banned

Client downloaded, account made, ready to disconnect myself from the world for 3 days
Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #51
Nikmar-official

Do you need to receive beta keys (or calls to play GW2) or what? I'm not really familiar with these stuff so if someone can answer me asap plz...

Old 04-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #52
YajirobeFromDC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmar-official View Post
Do you need to receive beta keys (or calls to play GW2) or what? I'm not really familiar with these stuff so if someone can answer me asap plz...
Nope you gotta prepurchase the game to be able to play in the beta OR get extremely extremely lucky in a draw
Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #53
Nikmar-official

Quote:
Originally Posted by YajirobeFromDC View Post
Nope you gotta prepurchase the game to be able to play in the beta OR get extremely extremely lucky in a draw
Well in that case...

TRADING MY DOTA 2 ACCOUNT FOR GUILD WARS 2 ACCOUNT!!!

Old 04-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #54
Pentinor

I was really really hoping I would like gw2 moreso then gw...but to no avail....after playing tera, the combat in gw2 is just soooo slow and unenjoyable(atleast for me) Im praying that the PvP/WvW will be bearable but im pretty sure its gonna let me down. ;_;

Na'Vi No. 1 USA Team
Old 04-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #55
Lithary

I'm not an MMORPG player, but GW and DDO are only two MMORPGs which seem to be actually good and worth playing.
Still, I doubt I'll play them since Diablo 3 is out soon.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #56
Lithary

Holy fuck!
I've just noticed that you have Halo-like HP regeneration out of the combat. >_>
Just when I was thinking about getting this game too, this killed it.
What a shame... what a shame!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #57
мusịĸ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithary View Post
Holy fuck!
I've just noticed that you have Halo-like HP regeneration out of the combat. >_>
Just when I was thinking about getting this game too, this killed it.
What a shame... what a shame!
And how is that bad? To me, more hp equals more active gameplay (combat) instead of forced survivalist gameplay.

If they'd figure out a way to sort of get the best of both worlds (without the hindrances of either) I'd be happy.
Until then; it ain't broken, do not fix pl0x.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #58
Lithary

It's horrid mechanic for casuals which makes me sick.
They could've given some normal HP regeneration instead.
Not to mention that each profession has a way of healing itself, making that idiotic regeneration even more silly.
Also, introduction of eating/drinking/whatever would achieve practically the same effect, but would at least make some sense and would make it feel better.
On top of that, it removes a lot of strategy from gamepaly since as long as you are alive, you can continue.

Take a look at Diablo 3, for example.
Instead of giving some idiotic Halo-like HP regeneration, they introduced HP globes, have HP potions and each class has a meaning of healing itself.
THAT'S how you solve those issues, and not with some idiotic HP Halo-like regeneration.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #59
мusịĸ

Quote:
It's horrid mechanic for casuals which makes me sick.
They could've given some normal HP regeneration instead.
Not to mention that each profession has a way of healing itself, making that idiotic regeneration even more silly.
Also, introduction of eating/drinking/whatever would achieve practically the same effect, but would at least make some sense and would make it feel better.
On top of that, it removes a lot of strategy from gamepaly since as long as you are alive, you can continue.

Take a look at Diablo 3, for example.
Instead of giving some idiotic Halo-like HP regeneration, they introduced HP globes, have HP potions and each class has a meaning of healing itself.
THAT'S how you solve those issues, and not with some idiotic HP Halo-like regeneration.
I know it can seem dumb on paper, but in a action-oriented MMO, I don't want half of my time going into waiting for my health and mana to refill, which usually and "realistically" should take ages.

I'd much rather have them refilled for me slightly faster and automatically with no effort, so I can focus more on the gameplay rather than what I want to do while my character sits on a bench, munching on sammiches.

It's not "realistic" and it's not supposed to be, it's just providing you with more action in favour of less down-time.
It's a good trade in my books.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #60
Lithary

That would be a decent reply if there weren't other, better ways which could be used for healing after the battle (again, Diablo 3).
Also, you SHOULD wait if you were not careful during battle.
With that idiotic, moronic and retarded HP healing after the battle, having a heal of your own kinda starts losing the purpose, and as long as you survive falling down the cliff, you are fine and that's stupid and wrong.

That HP regeneration is plague and should be removed.
I really don't know who can defend that crap (except CoD players and that sort of casual creatures).
An RPG should never EVER be made for casuals since RPGs by default are not casual games!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #61
R.B.Economy

Guide Writing Award Suggestion Award 

But casual games are PROFITABLE.

Thanks to judges NuclearCookie, Necamijat and special thanks to Lotus V Eater for the banner.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #62
мusịĸ

Quote:
That would be a decent reply if there weren't other, better ways which could be used for healing after the battle (again, Diablo 3).
Also, you SHOULD wait if you were not careful during battle.
With that idiotic, moronic and retarded HP healing after the battle, having a heal of your own kinda starts losing the purpose, and as long as you survive falling down the cliff, you are fine and that's stupid and wrong.

That HP regeneration is plague and should be removed.
I really don't know who can defend that crap (except CoD players and that sort of casual creatures).
An RPG should never EVER be made for casuals since RPGs by default are not casual games!
I have not played D3 so I don't really know what you mean by "hp globes", could you elaborate?

Also, regenerative potions and poultices have their uses inside combat as well, not only outside.
I would, myself, prefer more action oriented gameplay in favour of more hardcore RPG elements, but that is just my opinion.

Also, as the dude (or dudette?) above me mentioned -- if not slightly sarcastically which is unclear -- casuality sells.

There are hardcore gamers and then there are casual gamers. Both of them are highly profitable which is why I don't blame developers for trying to appeal to both of them.

The ratio itself can sometimes be blurry.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #63
Lithary

When an enemy dies, there is a chance that it will drop a HP globe.
When you pick it up, it will heal you for certain amount of HP.
Potions, on the other hand, can't be bought and, if I remember correctly, have a CD after each use.
This gives you a way of regaining your HP and having a non-stop action from start to finish if you use some strategy and play smart.

Instead of having HP globes and potions, GW2 could have eating/drinking.
You could do it only outside of the battle (of course) and would increase your regeneration so it restores your HP in no less than 10 and no more than 20 seconds.
Food/water could be bought in stores, but could also be a relatively common drop by enemies.

Auto HP heal after each battle does not only hurt realism and logic, but gameplay too.
It removes a lot of danger and strategy.
In GW2, each and every profession has a healing skill, meaning that they can use it in order to prevent loss of HP and, well, healing!
Not to mention that players can act like idiots and that fall damage starts to lose purpose.

With having eating/drinking, a player will be motivated to be more careful and be more strategic.
If a player is some dumbass who is bad at dodging enemy attacks and using heal, then he will have to use food/water in order to regenerate too often and will simply run out of it.
Now, I don't ask some uber HC thing here, just something which will motivate players to play smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.B.Economy View Post
But casual games are PROFITABLE.

NOTHING should be made with profit being a primary concern EVER!
Fuck everyone who wants to make games for casuals only because of the profit!
Fuck them... fuck them with a rusty chainsaw on fire... fuck them with a rusty chainsaw on fire while they are being deep-throated by a cactus... fuck them with a rusty chainsaw on fire while they are being deep-throated by a cactus and devoured by fire ants!
Nothing good will ever come out of pleasing fucking casuals!
Not to mention that automatic HP healing after each battle is not even for casuals, but for fucking retards!
Last edited by Lithary; 05-02-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #64
мusịĸ

Quote:
NOTHING should be made with profit being a primary concern EVER!
Fuck everyone who wants to make games for casuals only because of the profit!
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the primary concern of every single company is, should be, and will always be as you so delicately put it: profit.

There is no reason to open up a business if you don't care about the dough.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #65
Lithary

No!
Wrong!
Never EVER should profit become your primary objective!
When that happens, things will go to shit.
Just look at the world in general; most of the things are becoming shit because profit became primary goal and because greed is driving people instead of will of doing something right.
A goal of a game developer should be to make a good game and profit should be a reward, not a goal.
Whoever says otherwise can go and rot in Hell because that kind of thinking is what is fucking up the world.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #66
мusịĸ

Quote:
No!
Wrong!
Never EVER should profit become your primary objective!
When that happens, things will go to shit.
Just look at the world in general; most of the things are becoming shit because profit became primary goal and because greed is driving people instead of will of doing something right.
A goal of a game developer should be to make a good game and profit should be a reward, not a goal.
Whoever says otherwise can go and rot in Hell because that kind of thinking is what is fucking up the world.
Hardly debatable, how else are you supposed to make a living if not through profits?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #67
Lithary

I can see that you are going to try to justify anything only to avoid accepting that your little perfection called Guild Wars 2 is not perfect as you thought it would be.

Let me present you with two facts:

1 - CoD-like HP regeneration after a battle is one of worst game mechanics in history of video games and should be avoided like a plague infested rat who is trying to bite of your nipples.

2 - Everyone who holds profit as a primary goal should be buried alive.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #68
мusịĸ

Quote:
I can see that you are going to try to justify anything only to avoid accepting that your little perfection called Guild Wars 2 is not perfect as you thought it would be.

Let me present you with two facts:

1 - CoD-like HP regeneration after a battle is one of worst game mechanics in history of video games and should be avoided like a plague infested rat who is trying to bite of your nipples.

2 - Everyone who holds profit as a primary goal should be buried alive.
I have never come even close to playing Guild Wars or its sequel in my whole life, primarily due to lack of monetary resources, so I am as unbiased as one can possibly be.

You just can't argue with money; it fuels everything from the air that you breathe to the food you eat.
Everyone everywhere needs money to do anything and everything.

I'm not saying I like it or that you should like it, it's just the cold undeniable truth.

Anyone who tries to convince him- or herself otherwise is wasting time. Time that could be spent coming up with an alternative to money.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #69
.nom

stuff i dislike

bosses in dungeons will stay on lowered hp even if your team wipes... this doesn't sound right to me... i dislike retard friendly, casualized games.. u can do it 50 times without skill in horrendous manner and still beat encounter -_-

micro transactions allowing purchase of xp boosts and karma and also indirectly gold. one of my biggest problems with this game...

No purpose of playing, no progress to make, no epeen to boost... I heard argument about playing for fun like fps game but this doesn't entirely convince me in mmo... I even liked progression of gear and content in wow. Playing just to get new armor skins... HMMM :S seems ok... for 2-3 months...

Clumsy looking strafe animations, seriously unpolished even worse than Bethesdas, models awkwardly walk forward when walking backward onto side... wtf... is this 2012 game? Basics of immersion...

I was watching pvp duel video, it was hideous compared to wow gameplay...

Anet censoring their forums, deleting negative (critical) threads.

i read that most classes gameplay comes down to just hitting everything that is off cooldown...

Honestly after reading more about this game lately im not that blindly optimistic about it anymore...
Old 05-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #70
Lithary

Can you go into a bit more detail about things you said?
I'm actually interested.

I've played WoW for very short time with my friends account and found it boring.
After that, I played few more f2p MMOs, so this is actually first MMO I'm thinking about buying, meaning that I would like to hear about everything good and about which can be said about it, it's community and company which made it (basically everything related to that game).

Quote:
Originally Posted by мusịĸ View Post
I have never come even close to playing Guild Wars or its sequel in my whole life, primarily due to lack of monetary resources, so I am as unbiased as one can possibly be.

You just can't argue with money; it fuels everything from the air that you breathe to the food you eat.
Everyone everywhere needs money to do anything and everything.

I'm not saying I like it or that you should like it, it's just the cold undeniable truth.

Anyone who tries to convince him- or herself otherwise is wasting time. Time that could be spent coming up with an alternative to money.
You're missing the point of what I'm trying to say, but whatever.
This is topic about GW2, not economy and/or philosophy.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #71
мusịĸ

Quote:
You're missing the point of what I'm trying to say, but whatever.
This is topic about GW2, not economy and/or philosophy.
No, I'm not. When they have to decide between different gameplay elements, they have to do market research and figure out what is more profitable and decide from there, which completely ties in with my point.

Money is not a good thing, doing something just for the sake of it is even worse. But at the end of the day, do you really have a choice? Game development is a job like any other.

You don't have to demote my posts to garbage just because you don't think like I do and can't see the truth in them.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #72
Lithary

You always have a choice.
But like I said, I will not discuss this here because this is not place for it.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #73
ragnesis

I'll put my opinions on what you said down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .nom View Post
stuff i dislike

bosses in dungeons will stay on lowered hp even if your team wipes... this doesn't sound right to me... i dislike retard friendly, casualized games.. u can do it 50 times without skill in horrendous manner and still beat encounter -_-
This game isn't really casualized, but i think that it did work like that in press beta, i hope it was bug and will be fixed
micro transactions allowing purchase of xp boosts and karma and also indirectly gold. one of my biggest problems with this game...
They dont sell any power really, its all merealy cosmetic. XP boosts are rdiculously expensive, and i dont think you will ever feel that you have to buy anything to be able to compete.
No purpose of playing, no progress to make, no epeen to boost... I heard argument about playing for fun like fps game but this doesn't entirely convince me in mmo... I even liked progression of gear and content in wow. Playing just to get new armor skins... HMMM :S seems ok... for 2-3 months...
Cosmetic gear purpose worked rather well in gw1, and I think it will work. Besides, competative pvp.
Clumsy looking strafe animations, seriously unpolished even worse than Bethesdas, models awkwardly walk forward when walking backward onto side... wtf... is this 2012 game? Basics of immersion...
Can't comment really, didnt pay attention cuz i dont really care about gfx and stuff in online games
I was watching pvp duel video, it was hideous compared to wow gameplay...
Combat is nice, there is a LOT of room for skill. WoW combat is tetris compared to gw2.
Anet censoring their forums, deleting negative (critical) threads.
no info i got on that
i read that most classes gameplay comes down to just hitting everything that is off cooldown...
Only if your bad
Honestly after reading more about this game lately im not that blindly optimistic about it anymore...
Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #74
.nom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNs-z0wWAPM
gw2 duel, even not taking their skill into account, this just looks awful.
http://youtu.be/xAYhUH-31KY
wow uber skillful duel
(damn i miss this wow, why they raped wow with cata, why...)

Why is wow pvp combat tetris lol... Anyone saying that wow pvp doesn't require shit tons of skill doesn't know what he is talking about.

About real money, u can basically buy time for it (faster lvling of alts, no need to farm things). This makes players not exactly equal, but i can tolerate it tbh, because there won't be subscription fee...

I hope that you are right about encounters not reseting just for press beta.

Also these "worthless" cosmetics/looks probably are going to have way greater significance in gw2, looking at how skins are going to be rewards for dungeons, i suppose that goal of playing pve will shift to obtaining these... I wouldn't be surprised if visuals would become new thing of desire for many..

Quote:
i dont really care about gfx and stuff in online games
Hmm and for me game should be immersive. Awkwardly walking characters are flaw no matter graphics...
Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #75
Lithary

Nice job at comparing beta with finished product.
Not to mention that WoW video was especially made for observing (even though all those effects and music are horrible) while GW2 video was simply a simple gameplay footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnesis View Post
I'll put my opinions on what you said down.
Dude... don't insult Tetris!
That is actually the perfect single player game!
Last edited by Lithary; 05-04-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #76
ragnesis

Quote:
Dude... don't insult Tetris!
That is actually the perfect single player game!
but it had pretty bad combat, which is my point!

Besides, GW2 is pretty close to being finished. No major changes i'd expect.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #77
BigBadBossDk

Idc how long they will take, I want them to take their time and make this game really good.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #78
Lithary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnesis View Post
but it had pretty bad combat, which is my point!

Besides, GW2 is pretty close to being finished. No major changes i'd expect.
Point taken.

About GW2, I think that there will be a fair amount of polishing which will make everything look better.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #79
StraY_WolF

Over rated. Does nothing to improve/innovate the oversaturated mmorpg market.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #80
Valorian
Forum Manager

yea, because to do that, you'll need
  Entertainment Video Games