Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
InreetII
Banned

Default What is your attitude to Russia?

I want to know what people thinks about country I live in. You may ask me questions and I will try (if I'm able to) to answer them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzy- View Post
What is the culture of Russia?

What's the main social stances?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inreet View Post
Well the culture is versatile and interesting. But there is a huge difference between Russia before USSR collapsed and Russia in nowadays. There was a huge drop in culture because of huge amount of new mostly bad things that leaked in our country. But nevertheless we are friendly people (you don't need to send a letter to go to somebody, you will be always fed with good food, etc). What you can see now is just echo of 90x years.

As I said above there was a huge drop in a culture that lead us from one of the most educated nations to the... uneducated and aggressive. In Russia you currently can see what was happening in other countries when they entered capitalism. There is a big gap between wealthy and poor people. There is lack of middle-class people. And our wealth class don't want to invest their money to the development of our industry but they rather invest it to other countries' bank system. That lead us (our economy) to dependence of natural energy resources. Also there is bureaucracy that prevents the development of our country and office-holders usually don't honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_MikeRoch View Post
How do you feel about Putin being president though?
Quote:
Why do people dislike him so much?

And what do you think of the elections being rigged with him winning 65% of the vote?
Quote:
I think he is right person to rule the country at that time. Not because he is good but there is no chose. Who will rule then? Prohorov? That businessman who made his money in 90x? Or manybe Zherinovsky? Don't pull my leg. Or maybe Zuganov, the leader of communist? No thanks, I don't want back into USSR. Putin is just the person who bring our country back to life. He also has smth that called charisma. Most people vote him not because they like him but because they don't want to change anything like in 90x.
Quote:
Well in fact i don't know. I think this is just an impression created by opposition. Most people don't care about politics at all. All they want is peaceful life and Putin gives it to them.

Did you hear that there is a web-cam (2 in fact) in every single... place where you give your votes (I don't know special word)? But when was parliament elections there was no cams and I saw many vods about falsification. In fact I believe that there was falsification on parliament elections but there wasn't (or at least not that much) on president elections.

Edit: he won with 49.xx%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHourMotel View Post
How bad is the drug problem in Russia?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Radicali View Post
Why do you think russia is notorious for alcohol and drug abuse? Is it cultural, political, coincidental? What could be done to stop it (if anything)?
Quote:
Bad. There is a big problem and our government almost don't give a f*ck. I think our laws is not strict enough for get this under control. There is so many people who lowered their life into the toilet by using krokodil (desomorphine) and other stuff.

But this could only be my impression.
Quote:
As you know when USSR collapsed there was almost no government and no good laws to regulate life aspects. So a lot of things (including bad) that was forbidden before became allowed. People were interested in them and wanted to try them out. Another reason is our mentality. From all way we will chose the easiest one (in USSR there was law forbidding unemployment so you could go to a prison) that's why a lot of young people don't work now. In addition to that if someone want to work there is sometimes just no job for him. And what to do if you have nothing to do? Another reason is our bad laws. They just not strict enough to make people scared of selling alcohol to children and making drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutwurstritter View Post
What does the russian public (normal people not politicians) think about Europe/USA/China ? What prejudice/bias is common regarding these ?

Id like to know what exactly the conflict with Georgia is about? Why does Russia try to annex Georgia ?
Quote:
Since I'm not sociologist I can't say you how it's exactly but I'll try. USA traditionally isn't liked in Russia (for obvious reason). Most people think this is enemy #1 and Americans are stupid as hell (well to be honest I can't say I'm exception). I don't know about Europe and China. As was said above currently the level of people's culture (political included) isn't very high. I think most of the people are neutral to them (for me I'm neutral to Europe but don't like China very much since I understand that it cannot survive in its current borders and most likely China may expend its borders thru intervention to our country).

All I can say about Georgia is taken from the mass media. I also can say that we weren't an aggressor as you was told. Georgia government wanted to "restore constitutional order". In fact they just wanted part of our army to go away from some their territories but the way they did it was so unacceptable. They killed ordinary people, they through bombs to villages. And Russia took it for duty to help these people since many of these people was citizens of Russia (that result in separation Abkhazia and South Ossetia).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey00 View Post
By the way, I remember seeing somewhere that in Russia, when you vote, your vote isn't secret, is that true?
Quote:
False.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inconnue View Post
Would you guys really be pissed if we refused your offer of vodkas? I'm always curious, its been said in Burn notice.
Quote:
Can't tell you. I'm not drinking and never offer it to others.

Quote:
I looks like there is an overwhelming majority of videos on the internet of people performing risky acts that originate from Russia. Are Russians more prone to join activities that are dangerous?

Also, how is the atheist community in Russia? And also what about tolerance towards other people? Are Russians mean in general?
Quote:
I can't tell it's "more" or "less". But yes there are many dangerous things that are made by my my countrymates.

Russia used to be... non-atheist country (can't find a better word). But in 1917 communists declared that there is no god (they replaced it in some kinds by Lenin). Today we still have communists' heredity that result in big number of atheists.

In nowadays we have some conflicts with Caucus. The people from that region came to the middle of country and behave like they're at home. Of cause that result in dissatisfaction of "native" people. But in general Russia is multicultural country from it's creation and usually nations live here in peace.

Russia is a big country and I can't give you a proper answer are we mean or not. It very depends on where you live (e.g man from Siberia is much ruder than man from Moscow but I'm not excluding vise versa situation). In USSR people was much friendly then now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthenoodz View Post
Russia is part of the BRIC and has been listed to be of very high growth.

Why has russia been underperforming?
Quote:
As I'm not an economist I can't give you a proper answer but I guess it's because of the world economic crisis and dependence of our economy on sells of oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obium View Post
So, what do you guys think about Australia over in Russia?
Quote:
Nothing special. Just a country of kangaroos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swords36 View Post
What do you think of Russia's stance on Syria? and Why do you think Russia has such a stance? And finally, What is your stance on Syria?
Quote:
I support my country's stance. I don't want terrorists to go in power in any country (unlike many western countries). Why the hell should we (world) even interfere into their inside occasions? Or if we do it should be peaceful and not weapon supplies and other stuff which western block want to do. If you think "oh we will bring them freedom and democracy bla-bla-bla". No you won't. The need of democracy should go from the bottom. Actually I regret we didn't veto UN decisions for Libya (where the leader was killed like in middle-ages and people took photos with his corps).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floryda View Post
what's this rumor about Putin's plans about making an eurasian union with inner asian countries and eastern european countries

something will hapen or it's just an assumption?
Quote:
I don't know much about his plans but I know he wants to rearm Soviet Union in some kinds (neither as a communist country nor as an aggressive superpower but to form a better economy of all past-soviet countries and to gain a better income for all participants).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenocYda View Post
Is in a Russia a presence of idea that Chechnya should be independant or every russian thinks it's nonsense?
Quote:
The attitude of Caucasians to people is absolutely unbearable (I mean when they come to a middle Russia). They don't respect a law, our traditions, etc. Of course it isn't about every Caucasian but the majority of them. That's why many of us tired of them and especially nationalists want them to go away. I personally don't support this. I do not want another 90x where all republics have separated from USSR. I'd like much more an authority without Caucusing lobby in it.

Quote:
Do russians and politicians think/say that going into war in South Ossetia was a mistake? I myself think that Georgia should've seen it coming, but I am not sure answering by military conflict was that best solution, althought it was fully justified.
Quote:
No. There is a huge discussion about this a few pages ago. And afaik our government consifer it not as a mistake but our duty.
Quote:
About Georgia. This guy can explain the root of conflict better then me:

Edit: I found results of independent EU commission which investigated conflict between Georgia and Russia (published in authoritative German magazine). They found out "that Tbilisi is responsible for causing the five-day conflict". And now they classified that document because in 2008 they supported Georgia. If results was smth like "Ye it was Russia who started the conflict" they would immediately published it. But how will the word look if this information will be published? Ye "aggressor supporter". And that's why you still don't know the real reason of the conflict and the root of it. You was told that bullshit and you happily believed it and tried to tell me that we were an aggressor. What do you think now? Or you still don't believe me? What other facts do you need to cut the bullshit from your mind? Or your veil of hating is too strong for that? You tell me that I was propaganded but in fact it was you.

Source:http://www.spiegel.de/international/...650228,00.html

Quote:
And are really Russians prone to take guns to protect its country? Are they really patriotic in that way?
Quote:
Not really. After a collapse of USSR there is no core in people. They lost ideology. A man with ideology>>a man without one (WW2 proves it). We became a typical EU country without a core in people. Dunno about the defense of the country and patriotism. But for sure they are much less presented than it use to in USSR.

Quote:
Also, I've heard that bribery and bureaucracy is a big issue and that it's getting worse and worse.
Quote:
Bribery and bureaucracy are big problems without a doubt. But Putin can't do shit because the whole system is dependent of this.

Quote:
I've also heard you even need to bride on regular basis, just to be able to travel for example through siberia.
Quote:
Dunno anything about the travel with bride. Afaik you can travel everywhere (aside from closed cities) without any restrictions.

Quote:
Is the cult of Stalin still present? In the poll made not so long ago, he was chosen to be like 3rd best russian by people. I know the Communist party is still strong in Russia and perhaps the almost only opposing party, but around the world the Stalin is being considered to be almost psycho sadist, so it looks wierd that people are still worshiping him so much. Is it just a sentiment, symbol of age when USSR was there and strong or people simply think he's great person?
Quote:
Some people consider him a God some a Devil. Some just don't give a fuck. He is a controversial person. You can't deny his achievements but you can't deny that he was cruel either. Who won WW2? - Stalin. Who raised the country? - Stalin. Who oppressed millions? - Stalin.

For you Europeans he is a second dictator after Hitler but for us it is not that clear.

In addition I want to add that Lenin didn't want Stalin to be in power but he couldn't do shit at that time because he was ill already.

Quote:
In Russia, there seems to be almost no middle class...
Quote:
Nope. Middle class slowly but inevitably is growing. It's already exists and it's already big.

Quote:
...the economy is being too focused on gathering of natural resources.
Quote:
About economy: the government knows about it, people knows about, the government says it must be changed. That's it. We still sell gas and oil. We still don't have anything close to replace resources. I don't see any progress about this question.

Quote:
Also at least from our point of view, it was obvious Dmitry Medvedev was just a puppet with no power. Why people doesn't seem to be that upset? I mean, do they feel they live okay or they live better than in USSR or perhaps that from the last regime russians aren't used to protest? I'm just curious what you think.
Quote:
Protest is exists and it is already huge but I don't like a protest sponsored by the West and forced protests (I don't say all of them like that). Many people don't like Putin but mainly in Moscow or St. Petersburg. Other people vote for Putin because he provides stability. People don't want another 90x with it's anarchy.

Also:

Quote:
I also know that there is Jewish Autonomous Area in russia and that it apparently was created so they don't have to deal with that anymore, something like a one big Ghetto, anything interesting you can say about it?
Quote:
I can say nothing about it.

Quote:
For those who want to know more about East front (known for you as "Unknown War").

-June 22 1941

-The Battle for Moscow

-The Siege of Leningrad (must watch)

-To the East

-The Defense of Stalingrad (must watch)

-Survival at Stalingrad (must watch)

-The World's Greatest Tank Battle

-War in the Arctic

-War in the Air

-The Partisans (must watch)

-The Allies

I skipped some. You can find them on this channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/19411945ussr/videos?view=0
Last edited by Foede; 01-26-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Shizzy-

Default Re: What is your attitude to Russia?
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Old 05-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
CynthiaCrescent

Steam: lightredemption

I have almost no knowledge of Russia other than the general (place, system, etc...)
I've also never met a Russian in my life
Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Inreet
Banned

Quote:

Well the culture is versatile and interesting. But there is a huge difference between Russia before USSR collapsed and Russia in nowadays. There was a huge drop in culture because of huge amount of new mostly bad things that leaked in our country. But nevertheless we are friendly people (you don't need to send a letter to go to somebody, you will be always fed with good food, etc). What you can see now is just echo of 90x years.

As I said above there was a huge drop in a culture that lead us from one of the most educated nations to the... uneducated and aggressive. In Russia you currently can see what was happening in other countries when they entered capitalism. There is a big gap between wealthy and poor people. There is lack of middle-class people. And our wealth class don't want to invest their money to the development of our industry but they rather invest it to other countries' bank system. That lead us (our economy) to dependence of natural energy resources. Also there is bureaucracy that prevents the development of our country and office-holders usually don't honest.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
FF_MikeRoch

I love the electronic music producers and the girls. I dont like that tall businessman dude that was running for president.
But Zherinovsky is cool.

Thanks to Geno. for the unexpected Sig :P
Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Inreet
Banned

Quote:
I love the electronic music producers and the girls. I dont like that tall businessman dude that was running for president.
But Zherinovsky is cool.
That tall businessman is Proharov? Well in fact he had a huge support in Moscow and St.Petersburg.

And Zherinovsky is just a clown. Nobody takes him seriously.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
FF_MikeRoch

Quote:
And Zherinovsky is just a clown. Nobody takes him seriously.
Hahaha. Thats why I love it!

Also, do you know Sergey Kurginyan?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
TwoHourMotel

Quote:
I want to know what people thinks about country I live in. You may ask me questions and I will try (if I'm able to) to answer them.

(However I don't see how this belongs to world news/ debate).
Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
Inreet
Banned

Quote:
I think he is right person to rule the country at that time. Not because he is good but there is no chose. Who will rule then? Prohorov? That businessman who made his money in 90x? Or manybe Zherinovsky? Don't pull my leg. Or maybe Zuganov, the leader of communist? No thanks, I don't want back into USSR. Putin is just the person who bring our country back to life. He also has smth that called charisma. Most people vote him not because he like him but because the don't want to change anything like in 90x.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
Shizzy-

Quote:
I think he is right person to rule the country at that time. Not because he is good but there is no chose. Who will rule then? Prohorov? That businessman who made his money in 90x? Or manybe Zherinovsky? Don't pull my leg. Or maybe Zuganov, the leader of communist? No thanks, I don't want back into USSR. Putin is just the person who bring our country back to life. He also has smth that called charisma. Most people vote him not because he like him but because the don't want to change anything like in 90x.

And what do you think of the elections being rigged with him winning 65% of the vote?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
Inreet
Banned

Quote:
Bad. There is a big problem and our government almost don't give a f*ck. I think our laws is not strict enough for get this under control. There is so many people who lowered their life into the toilet by using krokodil (desomorphine) and other stuff.

But this could only be my impression.

Quote:

Well in fact i don't know. I think this is just an impression created by opposition. Most people don't care about politics at all. All they want is peaceful life and Putin gives it to them.

Did you hear that there is a web-cam (2 in fact) in every single... place where you give your votes (I don't know special word)? But when was parliament elections there was no cams and I saw many vods about falsification. In fact I believe that there was falsification on parliament elections but there wasn't (or at least not that much) on president elections.

Edit: he won with 49.xx%
Last edited by Inreet; 05-08-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Pwntlolz

its a big country with a lot of drugs
I'd say remove the stun from shackles and shes fine.

"I ain't no scientician but I don't remember being no monkey."
"Family reunion tomorrow, better buy some condoms."
-Redneck Randal
Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
Ali Radicali

Why do you think russia is notorious for alcohol and drug abuse? Is it cultural, political, coincidental? What could be done to stop it (if anything)?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
Inreet
Banned

Quote:
As you know when USSR collapsed there was almost no government and no good laws to regulate life aspects. So a lot of things (including bad) that was forbidden before became allowed. People were interested in them and wanted to try them out. Another reason is our mentality. From all way we will chose the easiest one (in USSR there was law forbidding unemployment so you could go to a prison) that's why a lot of young people don't work now. In addition to that if someone want to work there is sometimes just no job for him. And what to do if you have nothing to do? Another reason is our bad laws. They just not strict enough to make people scared of selling alcohol to children and making drugs.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
plzonlygame

russians get a bad rep in dota 2. americans are far worse
Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
Blutwurstritter

What does the russian public (normal people not politicians) think about Europe/USA/China ? What prejudice/bias is common regarding these ?

Id like to know what exactly the conflict with Georgia is about? Why does Russia try to annex Georgia ?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
TwoHourMotel

Quote:
I've also heard somewhere that it also has to do with the drug trade being supported by terrorist organizations in order to punish Russia for invading Afghanistan. Tho this goes into conspiracy as I have no sources to back up this claim.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
FF_MikeRoch

Quote:
I've also heard somewhere that it also has to do with the drug trade being supported by terrorist organizations in order to punish Russia for invading Afghanistan. Tho this goes into conspiracy as I have no sources to back up this claim.
I dont think its for punishment. But im sure there are some real big rich folks out there making good money from the drug exports in Afghanistan. Russia just seems like a good customer. And the reason this is all so big after the war in Afghanistan is because the actual natives themselves did not care for selling drugs. I cant confirm this, but I think they would even burn some of the fields. Now with Western troops there, the natives dont have a say in what happens to the opium.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
Inreet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutwurstritter View Post

Since I'm not sociologist I can't say you how it's exactly but I'll try. USA traditionally isn't liked in Russia (for obvious reason). Most people think this is enemy #1 and Americans are stupid as hell (well to be honest I can't say I'm exception). I don't know about Europe and China. As was said above currently the level of people's culture (political included) isn't very high. I think most of the people are neutral to them (for me I'm neutral to Europe but don't like China very much since I understand that it cannot survive in its current borders and most likely China may expend its borders thru intervention to our country).

All I can say about Georgia is taken from the mass media. I also can say that we weren't an aggressor as you was told. Georgia government wanted to "restore constitutional order". In fact they just wanted part of our army to go away from some their territories but the way they did it was so unacceptable. They killed ordinary people, they through bombs to villages. And Russia took it for duty to help these people since many of these people was citizens of Russia (that result in separation Abkhazia and South Ossetia).

All posted above is just my opinion and may be not true.
Quote:
Maybe, maybe. I have not enough information to say something about that.

Quote:
Also, do you know Sergey Kurginyan?
No, I don't.
Last edited by Inreet; 05-08-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #20
Hey00

Quote:
Because water and vodka are nearly the same words?

Puns aside, don't know much about Russia. That's a great country with a great culture. It seems there's a lot corruption/fraud on the political level, but Putin would still win without those, having the support of a huge part of the non mediatized population. Human rights could be better respected too. Am I wrong?

I don't know much, I have a slightly bad opinion of the current governing class (politics and industries) that could probably make more for the country (getting rid of corruption, in the first place) but don't have a bad opinion about the rest (population, culture, etc.)

Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #21
Inreet
Banned

Quote:
Because water and vodka are nearly the same words?
Sarcasm I hope?

Quote:
Puns aside, don't know much about Russia. That's a great country with a great culture. It seems there's a lot corruption/fraud on the political level, but Putin would still win without those, having the support of a huge part of the non mediatized population. Human rights could be better respected too. Am I wrong?

I don't know much, I have a slightly bad opinion of the current governing class (politics and industries) that could probably make more for the country (getting rid of corruption, in the first place) but don't have a bad opinion about the rest (population, culture, etc.)
You're right actually. Current government don't care as much as it needed about normal people.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #22
Hey00

Quote:
Sarcasm I hope?
He? Aren't both words similar? I remember water sounding like "voda" in Russian.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #23
Inreet
Banned

Quote:
He? Aren't both words similar? I remember water sounding like "voda" in Russian.
It's like compare "bitch" and "beach". Also you can't mistake them for sure.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
Hey00

Quote:
It's like compare "bitch" and "beach". Also you can't mistake them for sure.
Yes that's what I meant, that was a pun. (And believe me, if Russians won't mistake them for sure, non native can mistake beach/bitch or sheet/shit and probably voda/vodka too or at least pronounce one in a way native speakers would understand the other).

By the way, I remember seeing somewhere that in Russia, when you vote, your vote isn't secret, is that true?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #25
Pwntlolz

their proximity to afghanistan is a major factor in their drug habits, as well as their bad policies and weakened nation from the fall of the soviet union
I'd say remove the stun from shackles and shes fine.

"I ain't no scientician but I don't remember being no monkey."
"Family reunion tomorrow, better buy some condoms."
-Redneck Randal
Old 05-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #26
Inreet
Banned

Quote:
False.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #27
Duelbart

Good musical education. And culture.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #28
DmLucifer

I think Russia is not a good country to live in because it never changes. It will always be the overgrown imperialistic corruption prone absolutist regime. Most of the population will always support the ruler of Russia no matter if he is called the Tzar, President or General Secretary of the Party. It will always be easier for those who don't like the regime to just leave Russia than to change it.

I don't like Russia. Russians, well, it depends on personality. The USSR was a regime on par with nazi germany but since nobody wanted to risk WW3, it collapsed by itself. The current regime might not be as strict as the USSR but it continues its tradition of threat based diplomacy, absolute lack of self-reflection and refusal of any apology for what Russia did since 1917 till 1991.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
Inreet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmLucifer View Post
I think Russia is not a good country to live in because it never changes. It will always be the overgrown imperialistic corruption prone absolutist regime. Most of the population will always support the ruler of Russia no matter if he is called the Tzar, President or General Secretary of the Party. It will always be easier for those who don't like the regime to just leave Russia than to change it.

I don't like Russia. Russians, well, it depends on personality. The USSR was a regime on par with nazi germany but since nobody wanted to risk WW3, it collapsed by itself. The current regime might not be as strict as the USSR but it continues its tradition of threat based diplomacy, absolute lack of self-reflection and refusal of any apology for what Russia did since 1917 till 1991.
Firstly, this is mentality of Russian people (to hope that master will come and solve all problems make a right decision). Imperialistic? You mean communistic? You shouldn't blame people for that since all countries used to be monarchy countries. There is no static things.

Why do you think it collapsed? Because people were tired to live in communist country. And you say we will always support our leader. Flaw logic is flaw.

edit: And what have we done? Stopped Hitler? Or maybe sent first man to the space? Seriously all countries have bad pages of their history. As I sad above there is no static things.
Last edited by Inreet; 05-08-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #30
DoomSlayers

Well, the MSM (main stream medias) tend to give us a pretty negative image of Russia. In any case, I don't base my opinion around "public opinion".

My image of Russia is pretty neutral. We should stay away from their sovereignty and stop calling them "undemocratic"... especially the US (which is a 2 party dictatorship).

Before you post, remember this...
-The opinion of the majority doesn't represent a fact (it represents an opinion).
-You do not represent the majority.
-em is part of DotA. Denying it is the same as living in denial.
-Whining is part of the human nature.
-Adding insults in your text doesn't make you look cool, it makes you look stupid.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #31
DmLucifer

Quote:
Firstly, this is mentality of Russian people (to hope that master will come and make a right decision). Imperialistic? You mean communistic? You shouldn't blame people for that since all countries used to be monarchy countries. There is no static things.
I meant imperialistic. Which means it seeks to expand and once it was there it never lets go.
Quote:
Why do you think it collapsed? Because people were tired to live in communist country. And you say we will always support our leader. Flaw logic is flaw.
I meant THE leader. Once a leader stops being THE leader, the power changes hands. Once Putin loses his charm or becomes too old, there will be a new power-hungry tzar in his place in no time.
Quote:
edit: And what have we done? Stopped Hitler? Or maybe sent first man to the space? Seriously all countries have bad pages of their history. As I sad above there is no static things.
Yes, Russia has bad pages in their history. And in the history of all the surrounding nations. How can you even ask what have you done ? Occupation of Hungary in 1956, occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1968, Katyn 1940, Winter War of 1939, occupation of Afghanistan in 1979, Georgia in 2008. You only defeated Hitler because he attacked first, up until 1941 the Molotov Ribbentrop pact was in place.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #32
Hey00

Quote:
False.
Good to know, it seemed odd when I saw it but never bothered to search more.

Quote:
Firstly, this is mentality of Russian people (to hope that master will come and solve all problems make a right decision). Imperialistic? You mean communistic? You shouldn't blame people for that since all countries used to be monarchy countries. There is no static things.

I think he meant things as the red terror, the goulags, the intervention in Budapest. Every country has done good things but all of them also have blood on their hands.

edit: ninja'ed, but again, most countries have as many blood on their hand, and we must not confuse previous government, current one and population. It seems to me quite silly for a government to apologize for something a previous one did.
Acknowledging what happened and presenting condolences or such, sure, but apologizing for something one isn't responsible for seems meaningless to me.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #33
FF_MikeRoch

Quote:
Yes, Russia has bad pages in their history. And in the history of all the surrounding nations. How can you even ask what have you done ? Occupation of Hungary in 1956, occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1968, Katyn 1940, Winter War of 1939, occupation of Afghanistan in 1979, Georgia in 2008. You only defeated Hitler because he attacked first, up until 1941 the Molotov Ribbentrop pact was in place.
I just love when people says this. Watch, when an alien race comes to Earth and occupies Easter Europe people like you will be crying out "Oh, that evil Nato! And those bastard Americans! They had us occupied!" And when America defeats the aliens and gains control again, we will go to "Oh those heartless aliens! had us occupied! Thank you America for saving us!"

Thats the mentality of a "leach" country. One that can not stand on its own, and needs a host to survive. When it sees the right moment, is switches hosts. Ever since the Russian princes united and Russia became powerful, the countries in between the European powers and Russia kept switching sides, over and over. And dont feed me the bullshit that they didnt like it.

What was so bad about the 'occupations'? Was it that the USSR fed all those countries? Do you honestly think the eastern block had it that bad? People in the former Soviet countries worked their asses off so the leach nations could enjoy Russian bread and American jeans.

Why dont you remember how those same countries took sides with the nazis, and helped with the extermination of the Jews? Why do you overlook the fact that Hitler's plans were to even those countries with the ground? Maybe if the USSR waited a bit, until there was nothing left of the East, and then kept pushing onward, then we wouldnt have to hear people whine about some 'occupation'.

Oh, and Georgia 2008? Well, your WHOLE credibility just went down the shitter. Which explains your mentality towards Russia. The ideas of the west, chewed and shoved down your throat. No, I dont need your bullshit of "qq they invaded Georgia" I have family in the Caucasus region, both Georgia and Ossetia, and I know damn well what went down. Many European officials later visited the region and said "whoops, yeah, Georgia started the conflict" However, people easily overlook that.

Quote:
No, I don't.
Well I suggest you look him up. He talks a lot about Russian politics and makes some good points. Very intelligent man. He was also one of the main people who did their best to ensure a fair election.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #34
DarkoFanKlub

I do like russians and russia, they're very nice people. To us, serbians, they are like brothers.

But in DOTA2 i don't like russians, they suck
Old 05-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #35
DmLucifer

Quote:
I just love when people says this. Watch, when an alien race comes to Earth and occupies Easter Europe people like you will be crying out "Oh, that evil Nato! And those bastard Americans! They had us occupied!" And when America defeats the aliens and gains control again, we will go to "Oh those heartless aliens! had us occupied! Thank you America for saving us!"

Thats the mentality of a "leach" country. One that can not stand on its own, and needs a host to survive. When it sees the right moment, is switches hosts. Ever since the Russian princes united and Russia became powerful, the countries in between the European powers and Russia kept switching sides, over and over. And dont feed me the bullshit that they didnt like it.
Do you know why small countries need a host ? Because of asshole countries like Russia which always seek to expand. Why don't you ask the Eastern Germans if they'd like to be occupied by the Americans or Russians.
Quote:
What was so bad about the 'occupations'? Was it that the USSR fed all those countries? Do you honestly think the eastern block had it that bad? People in the former Soviet countries worked their asses off so the leach nations could enjoy Russian bread and American jeans.
Dead people, toughening of the regime, rapes, theft, that sort of thing. You must be joking about the feeding. Communism was the main reason the availability of food went down, the quality of food was subpar since everybody who had the option stole the better parts, there was even a famine in the USSR in 1933. Compared to the western block, the eastern block did have it bad. People in the leach nations were able to make their own bread but NO, the planned economy had them making something else. Also, do you know how hard it was to get American jeans while communism was in place.
Quote:
Why dont you remember how those same countries took sides with the nazis, and helped with the extermination of the Jews? Why do you overlook the fact that Hitler's plans were to even those countries with the ground? Maybe if the USSR waited a bit, until there was nothing left of the East, and then kept pushing onward, then we wouldnt have to hear people whine about some 'occupation'.
Nazi Germany was quite big, you know. It's not exactly like we did have a choice. It was either surrender or get steamrolled from all sides. And sure, there were people helping the nazis. And there were people helping the jews too. It's funny because if Hitler didn't act that way in Ukraine and Balt, he could defeat you. And another thing that is funny is that you DID wait. Warsaw uprising of 1944 ringing any bells ? Poles planned an uprising in anticipation of arrival of Soviet army and what did you do ? Stopped and waited until Germans regroup and crush the uprising and then you rolled in and declared you liberated Warsaw.
Quote:
Oh, and Georgia 2008? Well, your WHOLE credibility just went down the shitter. Which explains your mentality towards Russia. The ideas of the west, chewed and shoved down your throat. No, I dont need your bullshit of "qq they invaded Georgia" I have family in the Caucasus region, both Georgia and Ossetia, and I know damn well what went down. Many European officials later visited the region and said "whoops, yeah, Georgia started the conflict" However, people easily overlook that.
Yeah, giving foreign nationals russian citizenship and then claiming they are attacking your citizens. Textbook russian tactic of sticking your nose somewhere.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #36
Inconnue

Would you guys really be pissed if we refused your offer of vodkas? I'm always curious, its been said in Burn notice.
Last edited by Inconnue; 05-09-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #37
TwoHourMotel

I looks like there is an overwhelming majority of videos on the internet of people performing risky acts that originate from Russia. Are Russians more prone to join activities that are dangerous?

Also, how is the atheist community in Russia? And also what about tolerance towards other people? Are Russians mean in general?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #38
Inreet
Banned

Quote:
I meant imperialistic. Which means it seeks to expand and once it was there it never lets go.
Tell me witch country don't want to expand its boarders? In all times every country try to become more powerful then its neighbors (e.g. British Empire or France).

Quote:
I meant THE leader. Once a leader stops being THE leader, the power changes hands. Once Putin loses his charm or becomes too old, there will be a new power-hungry tzar in his place in no time.
Do you know that is there is THE leader there will be now doubts in human minds that they're doing right things. Just remember Hitler or Napoleon. The time for changes comes only when when there is no strong leader who can hold all in his hands or if people are completely tired to leave under the leadership of this man (and this is what exactly happened in 1917 and 1991).

Quote:
As I said above there is enough bad pages of history. For Hitler we delayed the war because we WASN'T ready for it. After revolution we had no good weapon, no good army. We just needed time to prepare to Hitler's invasion (I thinks you're inteligent enough to search deeper and find information that Stalin wasn't an idiot and he knew that sooner or later the Hitler will attack Soviet Union).
As for Georgia it just shows the fact that you don't want to know the truth. You just need a valid reason to hate us and nothing more.

Quote:
Do you know why small countries need a host ? Because of asshole countries like Russia which always seek to expand. Why don't you ask the Eastern Germans if they'd like to be occupied by the Americans or Russians.
Because they lost the war and winners had rights to do what they want.

Quote:
Dead people, toughening of the regime, rapes, theft, that sort of thing. You must be joking about the feeding. Communism was the main reason the availability of food went down, the quality of food was subpar since everybody who had the option stole the better parts, there was even a famine in the USSR in 1933. Compared to the western block, the eastern block did have it bad. People in the leach nations were able to make their own bread but NO, the planned economy had them making something else. Also, do you know how hard it was to get American jeans while communism was in place.
Do you know the main point of communism? It's the equality of all people no matter who they are. You didn't need to fear the next day if you're fired or not. You will always have a job to do and money to spend (well to so much but enough to buy food and some stuff). And all was friendly there was not so much crime and drugs. The food was better because it was natural (unlike in nowadays where I usually can't find stuff without genetically modified ingredients and MSG). Planned economy have it's strong (all have their piece of bread, it's better during the war, low crime level) and weak (the quality and quantity wasn't good enough) points and so do market economy.

Quote:
Nazi Germany was quite big, you know. It's not exactly like we did have a choice. It was either surrender or get steamrolled from all sides. And sure, there were people helping the nazis. And there were people helping the jews too. It's funny because if Hitler didn't act that way in Ukraine and Balt, he could defeat you. And another thing that is funny is that you DID wait. Warsaw uprising of 1944 ringing any bells ? Poles planned an uprising in anticipation of arrival of Soviet army and what did you do ? Stopped and waited until Germans regroup and crush the uprising and then you rolled in and declared you liberated Warsaw.
Do you think the war can be won without a plan? So commanders must change their plans only because in one country people were tired to wait a little more? I'm not a general and nor are you. We can't judge this kind of actions without proper knowledges. The history shows that USSR was right with plan of defeating Germany.

Quote:
Yeah, giving foreign nationals russian citizenship and then claiming they are attacking your citizens. Textbook russian tactic of sticking your nose somewhere.
If people ask for protection why should we refuse? It wasn't we who killed ordinary people and bomb the villages. I guess you approve this kind of "restoration constitutional order", right? You blame my country for lack of democracy but refuse in rights for people to separate from country they don't like and make their own decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inconnue View Post
Can't tell you. I'm not drinking and never offer it to others.

Quote:

I can't tell it's "more" or "less". But yes there are many dangerous things that are made by my my countrymates.

Russia used to be... non-atheist country (can't find a better word). But in 1917 communists declared that there is no god (they replaced it in some kinds by Lenin). Today we still have communists' heredity that result in big number of atheists.

In nowadays we have some conflicts with Caucus. The people from that region came to the middle of country and behave like they're at home. Of cause that result in dissatisfaction of "native" people. But in general Russia is multicultural country from it's creation and usually nations lives here in peace.

Russia is a big country and I can't give you a proper answer are we mean or not. It very depends on where you live (e.g man from Siberia is much ruder than man from Moscow but I'm not excluding vise versa situation). In USSR people was much friendly then now.
Last edited by Inreet; 05-09-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #39
Domenico
Forum Staff

Steam: barrogh

Notes about Russia on TVTropes
I'll just leave it here. I had no time to examine all related articles, but those I've seen are quite good. The only problem is that some articles (like those about modern times) are written from just 1 PoV, but I think that's not a problem - we can make our additions ITT if you still have something to say or ask maybe.

Due to TVTropes nature, don't forget to pay attention to subcategory any given article belongs to (to tell ones about Russia from ones dedicated to stereotypes and typical portrayal of it).

"The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments."
Friedrich Nietzsche

------------------------------------------
DC and VG mod. Feel free to PM me with your concerns.
My Steam
Note that I have that infamous edit-a-lot-after-posting syndrome.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #40
FF_MikeRoch

Quote:
Nazi Germany was quite big, you know. It's not exactly like we did have a choice. It was either surrender or get steamrolled from all sides.
USSR had the same conditions. Yet they died fighting. Which gave them the right to do what they pleased with the land. Be thankful Stalin didnt form concentration camps for all of the traitors in the Eastern block.

Entertainment Random Chat