Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #841
Supa_

Default Latest tech purchase thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildat017 View Post
and then this thing called "HD"? I have no idea. how am I suppose to watch an HD anime btw? I couldn't even tell how a blu-ray anime version is different from its TV version.
Reminder that you can watch your animu in 60+ fps.

http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/commen...can_watch_all/

Old 02-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #842
Captain Planet
Forum Staff

Steam: Chiester 410
Guide Writing Award Guide Writing Award Suggestion Award 
Default Re: Latest tech purchase thread

Quote:
all this 4k talk and I can't even get my head over it. probably because our free TV stations here are still analog. yes you read that right. analog. now that's how you define "ancient".

and then this thing called "HD"? I have no idea. how am I suppose to watch an HD anime btw? I couldn't even tell how a blu-ray anime version is different from its TV version.

fuck this poor country filled with scrubs in it.
Australia went fully digital about 2 years ago now. All the analog stations have been switched off
Old 02-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #843
kildat017

let me stick to the thread.

recently purchased a Corsair VS450watts for my diskless server as I'm running a small internet cafe. it's running at 15-18 hours a day. There wasn't really any significant electric bill reduction. The real reduction was felt when I removed the 3x 120mm fans. I also went to a cheaper TDP processor from AMD A8 5600k to intel g1840.

"branded" power supplies are a sham I guess.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #844
Supa_

The effeciency between bronze and gold psus is like 5 to 10% in high loads. You'll save your electricity bill in 5 years so yea.. Besides corsair isnt a good brand.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #845
SmellyJelly

Corsair is good brand except for very few psu's of theirs
Old 02-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #846
xpforever

Steam: See sig

Quote:
let me stick to the thread.

recently purchased a Corsair VS450watts for my diskless server as I'm running a small internet cafe. it's running at 15-18 hours a day. There wasn't really any significant electric bill reduction. The real reduction was felt when I removed the 3x 120mm fans. I also went to a cheaper TDP processor from AMD A8 5600k to intel g1840.

"branded" power supplies are a sham I guess.
Power supply quality isn't about efficiency, it's about not dying after 3 years.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:44 PM   #847
teStud0

Steam: arcsinti

Quote:
all this 4k talk and I can't even get my head over it. probably because our free TV stations here are still analog. yes you read that right. analog. now that's how you define "ancient".
One of our major TV networks just switched to digital today. That's something
Old 02-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #848
kildat017

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpforever View Post
Power supply quality isn't about efficiency, it's about not dying after 3 years.
Or I could just buy 3 generic PSUs and get a cheaper return instead of 1 branded.

seriously they need to be more competitive with their prices. in where I live, 1 branded = 5 generic. 1 branded is no way worth the cost of 5 generics.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #849
SkyforgerXVIII

Quote:
Or I could just buy 3 generic PSUs and get a cheaper return instead of 1 branded.

seriously they need to be more competitive with their prices. in where I live, 1 branded = 5 generic. 1 branded is no way worth the cost of 5 generics.
Well I rather not have to deal with shit equipment dying on me.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #850
xpforever

Quote:

Yeah until the cheap PSU damages some other component when it blows.

You really don't want to cheap out on anything power-related, and that includes motherboards unless you're not touching voltages.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #851
kildat017

this "shit equipment" you're shitting do last 1-2 years. some branded PSUs die in like 1 month. Hello fucking Xigmatech.

I seriously doubt the best branded PSU will last 10 years.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #852
SkyforgerXVIII

Quote:
this "shit equipment" you're shitting do last 1-2 years.
Well the stuff I put into my PC better last at least 5 years without failure. Which they did without problem so far except shit tier HDDs, which died sooner, but I didn't have expectation anyway.

If a PSU fails after a year or two it's rubbish and shouldn't be bought in the first place.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #853
SmellyJelly

Quote:

And when some caps blow/psu dies with bang it takes with it your gpu/cpu/mobo or something else. I'm all for saving money when buying pc parts - but no on the psu it's one thing i will never save money on when building a pc.

Also your mentioned Xigmatek is shit brand which can already be seen from their false advertising -

12v+ is what powers 99% of your pc here's it's datasheet. Tehnically it's not even a 400w psu.

And here's a datasheet of an actual good 500w psu.

And to compare - a 400w power supply that doesn't lie to you in terms of actual power it provides
- same power as Ximatek "500w"
Old 02-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #854
kildat017

Quote:
Yeah until the cheap PSU damages some other component when it blows.
before it blows it usually gets really really noisy. that's the cue to replace them 99% of the case.

and its not like you WANT your PC to last more than 5 years. there'd be new technology by that point and admittedly this g1840 I have will be phased out anyway. It's fine for this to die at that point and replace with something new. It has served its purpose.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #855
SmellyJelly

See the edit , nonbranded psu's over-estimate their actual capabilities of psu 99% of time - outright lie.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #856
SkyforgerXVIII

Quote:
its not like you WANT your PC to last more than 5 years.
Well I do.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #857
kildat017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyJelly View Post
See the edit , nonbranded psu's over-estimate their actual capabilities of psu 99% of time - outright lie.
yeah I'm aware. Still, I expect generics to last 1 year and that's fine. why complain on something so cheap?

3 generics >>> 1 branded. even if the mobo/CPU dies, that would be something like 3 years later (conservative). perfect timing to think of upgrading.

branded PSUs need to think of competing over generics.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #858
SmellyJelly

Generic are at best 1.5x cheaper than if were talking equal wattages. (I'm not even comparing shitty caps and insides of them). So you won't get 3x generics for price of one decent branded psu. Also your assumption that psu dies together with some other parts only later - not true. You can have it fried on day one as nonbranded ones are often bad at high loads; people buy 700w iner-tech and except them to actually provide that much wattage but then you actually try to use it risk frying your hardware. Not for me.

My 850w ocz has been going for 5 years now and will continue to do so, which i wouldn't trust generic to do given cost of my hardware. I bought it for ~90 euros about 5 years ago while you would have changed so many generic if you really change your generic every year. + it doesn't lie about it's power it can provide.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #859
xpforever

Quote:
yeah I'm aware. Still, I expect generics to last 1 year and that's fine. why complain on something so cheap?

3 generics >>> 1 branded. even if the mobo/CPU dies, that would be something like 3 years later (conservative). perfect timing to think of upgrading.

branded PSUs need to think of competing over generics.
But they are competing over generics, by having better quality and actually supplying more power, as above.

I wouldn't worry about running a branded PSU right up to its power rating, but I would worry about the same on a generic. For example, if I was expecting to use 500W under full load, a 550W branded could probably get the job done, but you'd probably need a 650W+ generic to handle that same load.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #860
kildat017

Quote:
But they are competing over generics, by having better quality and actually supplying more power, as above.

I wouldn't worry about running a branded PSU right up to its power rating, but I would worry about the same on a generic. For example, if I was expecting to use 500W under full load, a 550W branded could probably get the job done, but you'd probably need a 650W+ generic to handle that same load.
since when did a price of 1 branded = 5 generic is competing?

reviews do say that a 500w "generic" is actually really half of its rating. that's to say 250w.

if this isn't obvious yet, I'm powering a PC with a single VC without any additional 6-8 pin required to the VC. For APUs, zero video card. my wattmeter is telling me that this build consumes around 60 watts. there's plenty of breathing room. this build is pretty decent on dota 2 medium settings @ 1366x768 monitor.

Quote:
Generic are at best 1.5x cheaper than if were talking equal wattages. (I'm not even comparing shitty caps and insides of them). So you won't get 3x generics for price of one decent branded psu. Also your assumption that psu dies together with some other parts only later - not true.
3 years is a conservative estimate. it can go as high as 7 years on low stress load.

and then what? before anything dies you realize its already 5 years later and that your PC is way way outdated.
Last edited by kildat017; 02-11-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #861
Supa_

"bad brands overestimate the power they provide"

meanwhile you have 850w psu. are you running triple sli or making calculations for nasa?
Old 02-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #862
SmellyJelly

I have two powerhogs already in my pc , i've ran high amp fans etc... (3970x @ close to 5ghz and 7970) , having some headroom isn't bad, it's modular and was rather cheap when i got it. PSU's are most effective at ~60-70% load and produce less heat that way as well as are quieter at lower loads. You don't even need triple sli to hit close to 600-700w and i wouldn't run any psu at it's max rated loads.

Check the powerhog 590gtx was this is numbers without any stress on cpu. Or 6690 for that matter.

P.S And i love benchmarking my hardware to max when i get it so having decent psu matters even more. I have plenty of 5+ ghz suicide screens like these on different hardware
Old#1

Old#2

And if it'd go through some archives i'd find more
Last edited by SmellyJelly; 02-11-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #863
teStud0

Steam: arcsinti

On the PSU thing I bought an FSP Everest 700w waay back 2011. Still runs fine up to this day even after two major upgrades (first was procie/mobo/ssd then recently a videocard mentioned above).

For personal/home use I wouldn't recommend getting a generic PSU, the price bump is worth it IMO. It might work for you kildat since afterall maximizing profits is the whole point of running a business.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #864
kildat017

Quote:
meanwhile you have 850w psu. are you running triple sli or making calculations for nasa?
that too. I'd probably consider buying a psu like this when you have like triple monitors and using photoshop for professional work. sad truth is that general normalfags will only consume 60-ish watts on their daily PC work. heck, even those dota 2 professional gamers wouldn't go as far as 100 watts.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #865
SmellyJelly

Quote:
heck, even those dota 2 professional gamers wouldn't go as far as 100 watts.
u wut mate ... went to twitch to see most viewed members. First member with setup in their profile:
http://www.twitch.tv/rxnexus

760gtx TDP 170w (could tehnically draw up to 300w given it has two 6x pin connectors) / cpu tdp @ 4.8ghz is about 200W. Even if we're generous i seriously doubt you'll find any streamer who uses less than 250-400W from wall socket. And remember the eff. if it's pulling 500w from wall about 10-20% of those goes into heat
Another point running power supply at it's max value is not really healthy. I'm not suggesting anyone to buy 850w or killowat psu's now but i'd rather have someone buy 300-400w quality psu instead of Xigmatek/inner-tech 700w
Old 02-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #866
kildat017

Quote:
u wut mate ... went to twitch to see most viewed members. First member with setup in their profile:
http://www.twitch.tv/rxnexus

760gtx TDP 170w (could tehnically draw up to 300w given it has two 6x pin connectors) / cpu tdp @ 4.8ghz is about 200W. Even if we're generous i seriously doubt you'll find any streamer who uses less than 300-400W.
Another point running power supply at it's max value is not really healthy.
what I had in mind was those tournament convention events. I mean sure, you'd definitely need to power up when live streaming or 4k gaming. but those and "general normalfags" are just few and far in between.

maybe what I really needed (being a general normalfag, despite running a cybercafe) is something like a true rated 150W psu with 90% efficiency, and fanless. until then, 3pricey5me
Old 02-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #867
SmellyJelly

Cybercafes have shitty hardware in general as far as i've seen nothing wrong with some codegen generics there as they usually run a pretty low $$$ setups anyway.
For personal use - never i've seen way too many burnt pc parts in related to psu's failing/blowing more than anything. And i don't want to change my psu every few years. Also if you have low power setup even a decent branded psu isn't expensive - if you can drop 200-300e on setup why not drop ~30-40e on decently branded psu.

Also overclocking usually greatly increases power consumption. Check the oc'ed 3960x power consumption here and that's without using anypower/idle power from gpu - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-8350-review/7 , with gpu it's easy 600-700w depending on which especially if you're streaming + playing (like me occasionally) so having that 850w with some headroom isn't really an overkill. + having modular psu rocks , less cables that way.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #868
xpforever

Quote:
Also overclocking usually greatly increases power consumption. Check the oc'ed 3960x power consumption here and that's without using anypower/idle power from gpu - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-8350-review/7
Which is why you shouldn't cheap out on mobos either. If your OC'd CPU is sucking up 200w+, then that means your VRM has to handle that which will kill many cheap motherboards.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #869
Xmarksthegank

Quote:
Which is why you shouldn't cheap out on mobos either. If your OC'd CPU is sucking up 200w+, then that means your VRM has to handle that which will kill many cheap motherboards.
These days it's mostly features, and the OC on your CPU is more defined by how good a chip you got on your silicon lottery rather than how good a power delivery the mobo has. A lot of the things that motherboards used to do are now done by the CPU itself instead, leaving mobo manufacturers with a struggle to stay relevant and being able to figure out selling points for the high-end motherboards.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #870
kildat017

just buy a cheap pc once every 3 years. no OC problems.

you can extend that to 5 years if you're not a rampaging kid.

around the time when the pc becomes obsolete.
Last edited by kildat017; 02-12-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:24 AM   #871
xpforever

Quote:
just buy a cheap pc once every 3 years. no OC problems.

you can extend that to 5 years if you're not a rampaging kid.

around the time when the pc becomes obsolete.
Since when is 3-5 years "obsolete"?
Well, maybe it's obsolete if you're buying a cheap PC.
Considering that a 2600k is still competitive with some modern CPUs, if you think that a 5 year old PC is obsolete, you're doing something wrong. Hell, even a 920 is still fine nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmarksthegank View Post
These days it's mostly features, and the OC on your CPU is more defined by how good a chip you got on your silicon lottery rather than how good a power delivery the mobo has. A lot of the things that motherboards used to do are now done by the CPU itself instead, leaving mobo manufacturers with a struggle to stay relevant and being able to figure out selling points for the high-end motherboards.
I had a cheaper X58 board (and its RMA replacement) blow their VRMs in the 1.4-1.45v range. Yes, a lot of the stuff like the memory controller and integrated graphics are in the CPU now, but the VRM (or at least most of it) is still on the motherboard.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #872
BlizziC

I bought the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro with microphone addition, definitely the best headphones I've ever had. Not to mention it looks pretty cool. The microphone has it's own cable where the mic itself is attached, so I can both use it for listening and gaming without any bother. The mic cable is also longer than usual, so it's perfect for a desktop.

I have to return it for a replacement though, the right driver is significantly more quiet at lower frequencies and lacks bass, there's also a crackling noise in said driver. I'm not really okay with returning it, simply because I hate thinking about the void when I'm waiting for it. Hopefully the microphone works without being attached.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:13 AM   #873
Captain Planet
Forum Staff

Steam: Chiester 410
Guide Writing Award Guide Writing Award Suggestion Award 

I ordered a Dell U2713HM UltraSharp 27in IPS LED Monitor and a Wacom Intuos Pro (Large). Will post pictures when they arrive.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:14 AM   #874
xpforever

Got myself an H105 and a 500GB 850 Evo.
Running very fast and cool now.
  Entertainment Gadgets & Tech