Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #801
minhogang

Default Latest tech purchase thread

Just snatched one of these off Amazon a week ago when they were on sale for $60. And this headset is amazing. Great sound, the bass is definitely here BUT unlike some base heavy headsets like the Razer Kraken this one doesn't overwhelm the treble and everything else. The hyperx's detachable mic is pretty decent, but they aren't the BEST quality. But still an excellent detachable mic. Oh and these feel like a real CLOUD. I had no pain when in constant use for 4-5 hours. Even without my previous headset that had 7.1 surround sound, this one sounds definitely better.

Quote:
show quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverKnight View Post
if u smash R when attacking you'll more likely to crit
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0zenknife View Post
Putting a dick on a female is like defiling the sanctity of a sacred place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeCityBoy View Post
all praise to god father of our lord jesus christ who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with christ, jesus the messiah
Old 12-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #802
Captain Planet
Forum Staff

Steam: Bernkastel, Witch of Miracles
Guide Writing Award Guide Writing Award Suggestion Award 
Default Re: Latest tech purchase thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhogang View Post

Just snatched one of these off Amazon a week ago when they were on sale for $60. And this headset is amazing. Great sound, the bass is definitely here BUT unlike some base heavy headsets like the Razer Kraken this one doesn't overwhelm the treble and everything else. The hyperx's detachable mic is pretty decent, but they aren't the BEST quality. But still an excellent detachable mic. Oh and these feel like a real CLOUD. I had no pain when in constant use for 4-5 hours. Even without my previous headset that had 7.1 surround sound, this one sounds definitely better.
They sound really good. I've got a pair of Plantronics GameCom 780s that have 7.1 surround sound and they're amazing. I wonder how these would compare?
Old 12-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #803
minhogang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post

They sound really good. I've got a pair of Plantronics GameCom 780s that have 7.1 surround sound and they're amazing. I wonder how these would compare?
I just had the exact Plantronics Gamecom 780 with the surround sound that I gave away once I got the hyperx. Sound quality wise, I think it's more of preference. If you prefer surround, obviously you would like the plantronics more (it's great). However the sound between plantronics' standard sound and the Cloud's sound are leagues apart. After 2 days of using the Hyperx, I don't miss my Plantronics. If you want the surround, I think there is an ASUS surround soundcard on amazon for as cheap as 10 dollars.

More info on the sound part, the plantronics treble and bass distribution is very very balanced. The Cloud is more leaning on the bass, but not too much. I think this creates a better music listening experience than the plantronics, at least for me. Depends on which music you like. Pop, rock, etc. will work very fine, even some intense classics would work fine.

The mic, the Plantronics is WAY better than the Cloud's. The cloud has the option to detach the mic, but it sounds a bit tingy.

If you're used to the open design of the Plantronics, you might not like closed designs of most headphones on the market (the ones that close down on your ears instead of hanging on your head loosely)

Quote:
show quotes:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
all praise to god father of our lord jesus christ who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with christ, jesus the messiah
Old 12-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #804
Captain Planet
Forum Staff

Quote:
I just had the exact Plantronics Gamecom 780 with the surround sound that I gave away once I got the hyperx. Sound quality wise, I think it's more of preference. If you prefer surround, obviously you would like the plantronics more (it's great). However the sound between plantronics' standard sound and the Cloud's sound are leagues apart. After 2 days of using the Hyperx, I don't miss my Plantronics. If you want the surround, I think there is an ASUS surround soundcard on amazon for as cheap as 10 dollars.

More info on the sound part, the plantronics treble and bass distribution is very very balanced. The Cloud is more leaning on the bass, but not too much. I think this creates a better music listening experience than the plantronics, at least for me. Depends on which music you like. Pop, rock, etc. will work very fine, even some intense classics would work fine.

The mic, the Plantronics is WAY better than the Cloud's. The cloud has the option to detach the mic, but it sounds a bit tingy.

If you're used to the open design of the Plantronics, you might not like closed designs of most headphones on the market (the ones that close down on your ears instead of hanging on your head loosely)
I am very happy with my Plantronics (the surround sound it great for playing games like CS:GO where listening to footsteps and distant gun fire is vital (it means I can use the game's 5.1 setting) and the music I listen to is mostly metal-based genres with some soundtracks thrown in, most of which are orchestral or heavily layered instrumentation. From the descriptions you give I would probably get somewhat better music quality with the Cloud however I think the rest of the perks from these outweigh the benefits of the Cloud. The USB nature of the Plantronics is so convenient because it's using only one slot (and I have a powered USB hub so slots are an issue).

The mic quality is one of the reasons I went for the Plantronics and they are really comfortable as well. I think you are right in that it probably comes down to personal preference and what you're looking for in a set of headphones. Good to know for future reference, though.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #805
minhogang

The cloud's lack of 7.1 can be remedied with this http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAU...cr_dp_asin_lnk
if there are any detachable 3.5mm mics on the market then that would definitely replace the stock crappy mic.

If you have some decent money you should grab the Audio Technica ath hg1, its $300 but amazon has some sales that bring down the price to 200 or 250

Quote:
show quotes:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #806
Captain Planet
Forum Staff

Quote:
The cloud's lack of 7.1 can be remedied with this http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAU...cr_dp_asin_lnk
if there are any detachable 3.5mm mics on the market then that would definitely replace the stock crappy mic.

If you have some decent money you should grab the Audio Technica ath hg1, its $300 but amazon has some sales that bring down the price to 200 or 250
For me a built in mic is a deal breaker. That other item you linked looks really useful for future reference, though, in case I find better headphones with a mic. For now I'm sticking with what I have (partly because money is tight and I have a bunch of stuff I want to get early next year).
Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #807
minhogang

does anyone know of a good 7.1 surround sound usb sound adapter? similar to what I posted above, i feel those 2 dollar cheap pieces of plastic won't cut the deal. I'm looking for a very small one, not the big soundboxes.

Quote:
show quotes:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #808
xpforever

Steam: See sig

Wait what's even going on here?

If you have headphones, any "surround" sound you get from them is emulated completely, whether in software or hardware. Some sound cards can do it for you, eliminating the need to have headphones that do it. Although why someone would do that in the first place confuses me.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #809
minhogang

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpforever View Post
Wait what's even going on here?

If you have headphones, any "surround" sound you get from them is emulated completely, whether in software or hardware. Some sound cards can do it for you, eliminating the need to have headphones that do it. Although why someone would do that in the first place confuses me.
I'm talking about the virtual surround sound adapter that can transform standard sound from headphones to 7.1. Since I'm using a laptop right now I want to USB 2.0 portable adapter, not the sound card that I have to normally install on a PC.

My previous headset came pre-installed with the 7.1 surround sound software, which is then connected to USB. However I'm using the hyperx cloud which is the 3.5mm and I am looking for the apparently, best adapter for this one.

@Captain Planet I think the one I linked isn't the virtual 7.1 surround adapter, I think it's just the plain adapter for the 3.5mm headsets, no surround. However, there are devices just like this for similar prices

Quote:
show quotes:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #810
xpforever

Steam: See sig

Quote:
I'm talking about the virtual surround sound adapter that can transform standard sound from headphones to 7.1. Since I'm using a laptop right now I want to USB 2.0 portable adapter, not the sound card that I have to normally install on a PC.

My previous headset came pre-installed with the 7.1 surround sound software, which is then connected to USB. However I'm using the hyperx cloud which is the 3.5mm and I am looking for the apparently, best adapter for this one.

@Captain Planet I think the one I linked isn't the virtual 7.1 surround adapter, I think it's just the plain adapter for the 3.5mm headsets, no surround. However, there are devices just like this for similar prices
Sooo...something like this?
If you have headphones with a single stereo input, you don't need any hardware other than a single stereo output unless you're actually buying something for the sound quality or other feature that can't be done in software.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #811
minhogang

Quote:
If you have headphones with a single stereo input, you don't need any hardware other than a single stereo output unless you're actually buying something for the sound quality or other feature that can't be done in software.
Wow, I've never seen this, if such a software can give 7.1, that would be awesome but mine is not a product of Razer, and may not work. I'll give it a try.

Quote:
show quotes:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #812
Captain Planet
Forum Staff

Quote:
I've not trusted Razor with anything since their game management program decided to fuck with my Skyrim installation. Besides I already have 7.1 software installed so I don't really need that though I may give it a try at some point.

And regardless, a good mic is a deal-breaker and preferably USB connection which, unfortunately, rules out most high-end headphones and I am NOT buying a separate mic because it's just not convenient. Until the day comes where good headphones come with a mic I'll stick with my Plantronics.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #813
E02K

and WD Black 1tb
Feel free to message me for proof.
  Entertainment Gadgets & Tech