Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Streetguru

Default Whats the best way to learn at home?

well since ill be unable to attend college again(due to lack of job/money) Ill be stuck at home and needing something to do with my time and so...

Whats the best way to learn things like CC+ and all that at home? is there like a good tutorial for such things?

i think the first type of software id like to make is like a .gif slideshow software.or just get to work making a simple game.

thanks for any answers

Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Erios

Default Re: Whats the best way to learn at home?

What kind of knowledge in programming you have?

Old 08-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
XaTrIxX
Forum Staff

First play around with different languages to see if it even fits your need. Then go deeper into the language by reading a good book(this is important, there are many bad books out there. read reviews).

And as always, when you've learned the theory, make use of it. What makes you a good coder is that you actually do it! You need a few hours coding a day over a long period to get skilled.

Programming section moderator.
Also resolving issues in Marketplace section.
Playing DotA since 2005.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Streetguru

well i got plenty of time...i know the language of English =p used to be great at math but i was a stupid freshmen in high school and fucked that up. so im trying to learn higher levels on my own...and aside from that i really have no experience at all..

Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
WaremDarkslayer

Location: Where all life began, inside of and all around you.

Well if you want to make a .gif and such program then you must first start small. There are many programming languages in which such a program could be made.

In my opinion, if you want to get this done quickly then try RAD languages (RAD = Rapid Application Development) like C#(C sharp) , or VisualBasic (both developed by Microsoft).

If you want a powerful programming language , which means a programming language that can be used to create any (and I mean it) application you want, and HOWEVER you want it, then go for the mighty but (I have to admit) difficult C++.
A great site to get you going in the basics is this ==> Cplusplus.com.

A link to the tutorial section==>Tutorial on the basics of C++.

Once you are familiar with programming in the language you like (or need) on a command prompt scale , then and ONLY then proceed to graphics.Trust me they are much more complicated than simple programs that run on the command prompt.

Anyway, I hope you find this useful.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
MauranKilom

^I beg to differ.

To start with console output you should understand what you are doing (or it gets difficult). For learning programming, starting with buttons and edits for inputs and labels for outputs is exactly what you'd want to do.
Designing a user interface is miles away from that, but for the sake of learning one should chose a language that has easy interaction options (like buttons). You don't want to have to start by parsing console inputs.

According to what he wrote, he hasn't written a single line of code ever. Out of personal experience i wouldn't advise him to learn C++ first, because his first step should be learning how to get his ideas and thoughts into algorithms. C++ isn't meant for easy usage/learning but for fast execution (not to mention what else it trades for speed), so i really advise against it.

C# or even Delphi might give you a nice start. Make sure you get a good IDE though, so you can focus on learning and not on setting up stuff.
if GetRandomInt(0,10)<11 then

Fix OD combo! IMPLEMENTED!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
XaTrIxX
Forum Staff

I am not sure if I want to start up the discussion again, but I guess people know my opinion: I recommend starting with C++. I did so, and I think i only profited on it.

It's "harder" then other languages, but with a good book (!) you really learn to code. You don't just call functions, you write them yourself mainly, and this is what you need to start off in my opinion. The start will be harder, but I think you will profit.

Playing DotA since 2005.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
Streetguru

ill look around at my options, thanks for the help all.

And i thought most game developers used C++

Old 08-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
WaremDarkslayer

Location: Where all life began, inside of and all around you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauranKilom View Post
^I beg to differ.

To start with console output you should understand what you are doing (or it gets difficult). For learning programming, starting with buttons and edits for inputs and labels for outputs is exactly what you'd want to do.
Designing a user interface is miles away from that, but for the sake of learning one should chose a language that has easy interaction options (like buttons). You don't want to have to start by parsing console inputs.
You know I was actually referring to programs that simply perform an operation and then print out messages in the command prompt(or whatever else it is called in operating systems besides Windows).
Quote:
According to what he wrote, he hasn't written a single line of code ever. Out of personal experience i wouldn't advise him to learn C++ first, because his first step should be learning how to get his ideas and thoughts into algorithms. C++ isn't meant for easy usage/learning but for fast execution (not to mention what else it trades for speed), so i really advise against it.
You are ABSOLUTELY right ! I guess I got used to people expecting difficult things from me !!!

Quote:
C# or even Delphi might give you a nice start. Make sure you get a good IDE though, so you can focus on learning and not on setting up stuff.
Totally agree with you!! Just to be clear , I was just trying to give him a sense of what he has to search for and of how varied programming languages are in every sense. Didn't mean to confuse or set him in the wrong path.

Edit: To clarify things:
IDE - Integrated Development Environment.It is a program that resembles any text editor (for example Notepad) but has extra functions (usually a lot of them) , including the ability to compile programs made in a specific programming language, the colouring of the instructions that the language's
"syllabary" has as a default , the ability to notify you of errors (mostly in the syntax) you might make AS you write the program etc.
It also (obviously) has the creating and saving of programs, along with the grouping of many source code files in (so called) projects and/or solutions for the sake of compilation.

C# IDE--> Probably the most "official" one is Microsoft's own Visual C# , which you can get for free (the free version is called Microsoft Visual C# Express) or by paying for it( which under the circumstances I would advise against).
Search for a download in google (because I don't know of a specific link) if you'd like to start with C#.

VisualBASIC IDE--> Not sure but I think that the same goes for this, as with C#.
Others--> There are many IDEs out there for many different languages , so search for a specific programming language to learn FIRST and then go for an IDE. Note that not all IDEs have all the functions mentioned above, so take the time to read through their documentation( or description).

Just to mention this:: There is a compiler/IDE made by Microsoft that combines many programming languages' IDEs , such as C# and VisualBasic(or VB).It is called Microsoft Visual Studio , and there is an Express version but I am not sure if that Express version is free of charge. I know for a fact that Microsoft Visual Studio isn't and that it cost a lot of Euros/Dollars/etc. to acquire it.

(If you were a college student on the field( by the way in my country the equivalent would be university student) then if your college was part of Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance (MSDNAA) , now called DreamSpark then you could have it for free)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaTrIxX View Post
I am not sure if I want to start up the discussion again, but I guess people know my opinion: I recommend starting with C++. I did so, and I think i only profited on it.
Me too (obviously) , but it can be really hard for a beginner because of its naturally wide range of instructions and types and of course because of the presence of the terrifying for beginners (speaking from experience) , pointers.

Last edited by WaremDarkslayer; 08-28-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
MauranKilom

Yeah, i knew you didn't have anything evil in mind
if GetRandomInt(0,10)<11 then

Fix OD combo! IMPLEMENTED!

Old 08-29-2012, 04:02 AM   #11
Streetguru

downloaded Visual C#/C++ and have been playing around with them a bit,

any good tutorials to learn how to do things? so far i made a sentence appear in C++ but now it never resets...and thats the only thing it does even when i change the code lol

Old 08-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
XaTrIxX
Forum Staff

What do you mean with it never resets?

If you are using C++ try using cout for output and cin for input. React to the input by using if.

But really, you should start with a book or good online tutorial. Everything else won't lead to a solid basic knowledge.

Playing DotA since 2005.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #13
Streetguru

switched to linux and coding in C as suggested by many on /g/

Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
RCHLNKI

Learned it in this manner:
Console.
Windows Applications.
Data Structures.
Networking.
Databases and SQL.

But for me, learning the syntax is NP and learning how to use different in library functions helps. The most important thing IMO is that you know how to do things so I suggest you try to set a goal or a program that you must complete.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #15
DarkMessiah7

Steam: JesterGR

http://www.learncpp.com

Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #16
fappal.com

go for c#

Old 09-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
RCHLNKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fappal.com View Post
go for c#
If you're not used to object oriented programming, it's better to start with c++ then C# and then Managed c++

Old 09-09-2012, 01:27 AM   #18
XaTrIxX
Forum Staff

Okay, I think what comes now are just opinions and personal preferences. Closing this here, OP just has to decide himself now.

Playing DotA since 2005.

Closed Thread
  Entertainment Programming