Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #41
hankaung121

Steam: Steelvan

Default The Rage of a DotA 2 Player (PC Gamer Edition)

Why are you guys bashing on the reviewer? He gave a real nice insightful article about DotA 2. He wasn't bashing DotA 2.

He's just saying how it is so hard for newbies to get into this game since the learning curve is so steep, but the end result is very rewardable.

Although I agree that this is a blog rather than a review.

Last edited by hankaung121; 09-23-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: To fortify flameshield
Old 09-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #42
kit333

Default Re: The Rage of a DotA 2 Player (PC Gamer Edition)

play with BOTS.

/thread
Old 09-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #43
jsrnn

Well. I think this is really bad as a review. I don't think he had any grudge or anything and he has been as fair as possible but this is just a blog post about a noob getting flamed for getting Vlads on Huskar.
I don't see how this is related to Dota 2, be terrible in any team based game and the result would be the same if not worse.

There has been no mention of Graphics, Features, Accessibility, F2P without P2W system, etc. You know things that matter in reviews. Tbh Dota should be reviewed by someone familiar to the genre who would appreciate the qualities it offers over others. Like it has a harsh community might have a mention in a paragraph but conducting entire review around it has nothing to do with the game. As I said this is a sincere blog post without grudge (he mentions a lot of good things and says he appreciates the game), but is not a review.

Going back to the fact that he reviewed a game that has been officially in beta regardless of some dude in Valve thinks. There are many options including a tutorial function that would solve a lot of reviewers issues that haven't been implemented yet. This is not a review of a final product, if a review at all.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #44
snaYkeY

I can't understand why he'd get Vladimir, considering you have a nice and long list of Recommended items, which I am pretty sure, does not mention Vlads at all?
Old 09-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #45
Sentry_ward
Banned

This guy is a sad excuse for a reviewer
first dragon age 2 gets a 94 and now he reviews a game where instead of reviewing it he explains how mad a zeus got because he was feeding and being a noob in general
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #46
McMarto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry_ward View Post
first dragon age 2 gets a 94 and now he reviews a game where instead of reviewing it he explains how mad a zeus got because he was feeding and being a noob in general
You're right, DA2 should get 100 and above. The only thing comparable to DA2 is DA:O.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #47
zantetsu12

tl;dr average game of Dota 2.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #48
Raigavin

Quote:
I don't mean get into an extended debate, but the reviewers situation is what I encounter most of the time in Dota 2. (hence I started RAGE quitting about 2 weeks ago)

Just that the player community sucks in Dota 2..to most of them its just a cheap way to abuse online while playing games and they get a kick out of it. Also encouraging me to swear a lot*, back at other players.

-RAGE quit games
-Abuse people
-Make people report you
-Get into Low Priority (LP) pool
(Normal games pool for MM sucks)

Welcome to the Dark Side
Old 09-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #49
Sentry_ward
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raigavin View Post
I don't mean get into an extended debate, but the reviewers situation is what I encounter most of the time in Dota 2. (hence I started RAGE quitting about 2 weeks ago)

Just that the player community sucks in Dota 2..to most of them its just a cheap way to abuse online while playing games and they get a kick out of it. Also encouraging me to swear a lot*, back at other players.
Of course you did, because you are a noob just like the reviewer
Would you have someone who has never played startegy games review starcraft 2 from a single multiplayer game (and no AI games)?
Old 09-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #50
Raigavin

Quote:
Of course you did, because you are a noob just like the reviewer
But why should that be a reason for people playing in MM repeatedly swear, abuse and ridicule in the game currently.

Its either MM fails to properly put players where they belong -> or <- (what I believe) that the playing community in whole has little regard for other players (its border_lining racism or encouraging like one, to hate/discourage new players or players from playing new heros or just playing differently)

And its addictive over that, meaning its gonna encourage anyone to be on those lines.

Quote:
Would you have someone who has never played startegy games review starcraft 2 from a single multiplayer game (and no AI games)?
Don't know about others, but I would.
Because that brings about unbiased user experience from scratch, without meta game knowledge in some cases.

When you boot up the game for the first time ever, thats how its gonna feel. Thats what you will be invited into the game with..(for Dota 2) with other players screaming and shouting (lol).

Mind you that this is Beta, where most of the player base has good knowledge about the game (meta gaming). Where you expect people to be a bit more, casual..Due to signing up for Beta, mostly migrated from other games like W3's Dota, LOL or HON. <- Buy they are not casual, most of them not even helpful. They just spam abuses..no helpful hints at all.

-RAGE quit games
-Abuse people
-Make people report you

Welcome to the Dark Side
Old 09-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #51
Sentry_ward
Banned

Quote:
But why should that be a reason for people playing in MM repeatedly swear, abuse and ridicule in the game currently.

Its either MM fails to properly put players where they belong -> or <- (what I believe) that the playing community in whole has little regard for other players (its border_lining racism or encouraging like one, to hate/discourage new players or players from playing new heros or just playing differently)

And its addictive over that, meaning its gonna encourage anyone to be on those lines.
The game is based on 2 5-man teams
The game lasts ~40 min, with no way to exit before it finishes
ONE bad player on a team WILL ruin the game for everyone else
That's why every single mistake induces swearing and insults, it's the nature of the game
Quote:
Don't know about others, but I would.
Because that brings about unbiased user experience from scratch, without meta game knowledge in some cases.

When you boot up the game for the first time ever, thats how its gonna feel. Thats what you will be invited into the game with..(for Dota 2) with other players screaming and shouting (lol).

Mind you that this is Beta, where most of the player base has good knowledge about the game (meta gaming). Where you expect people to be a bit more, casual..Due to signing up for Beta, mostly migrated from other games like W3's Dota, LOL or HON. <- Buy they are not casual, most of them not even helpful. They just spam abuses..no helpful hints at all.
It's exactly the opposite
Dota and starcraft are not games you boot up for the first time and win the game alone, you have call of duty for that.
Dota and starcraft are the kind of game that you need to learn beforehand
You wouldn't put a 5 year old in high school and then ask him to tell you what he learned, he won't learn nothing because he does not have the necessary preparations (the previous years of school which he skipped)

I don't think you are a troll, you don't post like one, you probably are just dumb
Old 09-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #52
Raigavin

Quote:
I don't think you are a troll, you don't post like one, you probably are just dumb
Wha....the hell. Where did that come from..are you a retard? I was talking about the topic/game and you are personally attacking me.

Point your dick in other direction.

-RAGE quit games
-Abuse people
-Make people report you

Welcome to the Dark Side
Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #53
Sentry_ward
Banned

Quote:
Wha....the hell. Where did that come from..are you a retard? I was talking about the topic/game and you are personally attacking me.

Point your dick in other direction.
I'm not talking about this post, I'm talking about generally all your posts and your signature
Old 09-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #54
fremdlaender

Guide Writing Award Suggestion Award 

That really was the worst review I've ever read.
The autor failed to understand the basics of Dota and judges the game falsely in conclusion.
You can't just 'start' Dota (yet). Until the tutorial system gets implemented, you have to inform yourself, play bot games or have someone teach you how to play this game. And that's not Dota's fault, because it's still in BETA.

Buying Vlads on Huskar and picking Luna for his first game tells stories about this guy. He didn't play recommended starter heroes (Tide, Lich) and didn't even read a guide about the hero he picked.

But of course, it's the communities fault. What is this guy thinking?
It's a competetive game and if you suck at the very basics you get flamed, how can one not understand that?
If someone is ruining something I like (a beginner who didn't inform himself before starting is the same as some guy sucking at football but wanting to play in my team) I bash him, that's not Dota's fault, it's his.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #55
Raigavin

Quote:
I'm not talking about this post, I'm talking about generally all your posts and your signature
er.. I was giving you credit.

-RAGE quit games
-Abuse people
-Make people report you

Welcome to the Dark Side
Old 09-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #56
duoform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda-kun View Post
Well played Riot...well played
This was my first thought when I read the first paragraph. Seriously tho, who the fuck starts a review with "Someone wished me cancer!"?

PCGamer is just like IGN. I have no doubt that Riot paid both of them to write amazing things about LoL.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #57
DrFrank
Banned

I will write a positive article about DotA 2 once I've become journalist/dictator of this planet. So vote for me!

Also, the reviewer shouldn't have picked Huskar if he was new to the game. CM + wards and Mek = GG, no one can point a finger at you for not doing your bit.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #58
jawawaQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
tl:dr version
Got vlads on Huskar.
Gets raged at by team mates.
Writes an article about unfriendly to noobs people are.

@writer
pro review my ass
Old 09-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #59
raidragon

This Raigavin is actually dumb and got called out...now he's resorting to troll

back to topic....I think the reviewer is total noob and just trying to be a dick toward dota because he should pwned all the people that already play for 5-6 years just because he's the reviewer
Old 09-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #60
Raigavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidragon View Post
This Raigavin is actually dumb and got called out...now he's resorting to troll

back to topic....I think the reviewer is total noob and just trying to be a dick toward dota because he should pwned all the people that already play for 5-6 years just because he's the reviewer
(edited*)

er..trolling me again nice..

-RAGE quit games
-Abuse people
-Make people report you

Welcome to the Dark Side
Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #61
Green Yoshi

Steam: Yoshi
Guide Writing Award 

"Just by paddling around in League of Legends, I can see how deep that game goes. After 100 hours of Dota 2, I can’t even see the bottom. I’m not even sure there is one."

The most accurate part of the review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGEND OF DIV View Post
competive play is useless to balance heroes
Quote:
Well I told you that last couple of years but as far I see nobody is deny anymore in Dota2 guess now all people realized that deny is useless
Old 09-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #62
ithoran

Steam: Garlix

I like how they reviewed Dota 2 while the game is still in beta, but they didn't review League of Legends...

But I have to say that at the end he was 100% accurate
Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #63
Eleven13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Yoshi View Post
"Just by paddling around in League of Legends, I can see how deep that game goes. After 100 hours of Dota 2, I can’t even see the bottom. I’m not even sure there is one."

I can definitely agree with that statement as well.

I played LoL for about a year before getting a Dota 2 key. All the talk on the LoL forums was the Dota 2 was bad and that LoL was a way better game. Couldn't be any further from the truth.

Although I don't think LoL is a *bad* game per se, Dota 2 just does everything better in every aspect. League really is a pretty shallow straightforward game, where Dota just has endless possibilities for strategies and builds and comps and everything else.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #64
KuroNeko
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Yoshi View Post

Definitely. You could have been playing this game since its inception maybe 10 years ago and you still wouldn't reach the bottom.

And that's largely the beauty of DotA. The fact that there is always something to try out, adapt to, improve upon, or innovate.

It's not fun because it's easy. It's fun because it's hard.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #65
duoform

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroNeko View Post
Definitely. You could have been playing this game since its inception maybe 10 years ago and you still wouldn't reach the bottom.

And that's largely the beauty of DotA. The fact that there is always something to try out, adapt to, improve upon, or innovate.

I just realize that I've been playing DotA since 2004 and I still suck.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #66
Madchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymen View Post
Why did he call it a review when the game is still in beta? It should be a preview, still.
Maybe read whole article. Here you go:
Quote:
"Those promised learning tools will come soon: there’s a space in the game’s UI with greyed out options for ‘quests’, ‘tutorials’ and ‘play with a mentor’ options that could smooth out the first few steps in Dota 2’s gradiated learning curve. When those tools do arrive, we’ll be taking another look at Dota 2 and re-scoring it as the additions demand. But you can already spend cash in its real money shop, and have to pay for an invitation, hence this review: this is a slick, rich game, not a beta."
Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #67
duoform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madchen View Post
Maybe read whole article. Here you go:
Yes, but what's the point about reviewing a game that's not out yet? They didn't do it with Minecraft for example.

And I'll repeat again, you simply don't start writing an review of a freaking game by "someone wished me cancer" and spend 3 pages saying how horrible is the freaking community.

Where are all the features that DotA2 has? I didn't read a single one.

Oh and let's not forget that if you a goddamn newbie, you play vs bots first. You don't try to be Dendi in your first game!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #68
Sentry_ward
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duoform View Post
Yes, but what's the point about reviewing a game that's not out yet? They didn't do it with Minecraft for example.

And I'll repeat again, you simply don't start writing an review of a freaking game by "someone wished me cancer" and spend 3 pages saying how horrible is the freaking community.

Where are all the features that DotA2 has? I didn't read a single one.

Oh and let's not forget that if you a goddamn newbie, you play vs bots first. You don't try to be Dendi in your first game!
I knew the review would be shit from the moment I saw "I was huskar"
Old 09-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #69
duoform

Quote:
I knew the review would be shit from the moment I saw "I was huskar"
He fucking wanted and bought Vlads on Huskar.

The reviewer is such an asshole that he doesn't even open the Shop to see the recommended items.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #70
Madchen

Quote:
Game in "beta" can't be reviewed? Read again what he sad at the end.

Nice read. Also he is not bashing the game at all, just community (and he is right). Ah and i liked humor.

Why are you always butthurted.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #71
duoform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madchen View Post
Game in "beta" can't be reviewed? Read again what he sad at the end.

Nice read. Also he is not bashing the game at all, just community (and he is right). Ah and i liked humor.

Why are you always butthurted.
I'm not man, seriously! And when I saw 8.5 of 10 I was shocked. But his review is lacking a lot of content.

And no, one game in beta can't be reviewed because all the features aren't added. At least in my opinion.

If you have no idea whatsoever about what DotA-genre is but wanna approach and see how good it is, what will you think? "Jesus, if I join one game people will wish me cancer". That's fucked up man!

We all know how we are all a bunch of cunts and douchebags, but if you review a GAME you review a GAME and not a community in the first place. Like I said, in his entire review, he doesn't mention that Lich is a good hero to start with. He doesn't mention how hard is the learning curve of the game, he doesn't mention to avoid some heroes such as Chen to newcomers, he doesn't mention how good the replays are, he doesn't mention that you can actually watch an Tournament match inside the game and the list goes on...
Old 09-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #72
Sentry_ward
Banned

what's even funnier is that they refused to review minecraft beta (which was a released game no matter what way you looked at it) but they are reviewing dota 2
Old 09-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #73
PlayRough

any version that is not tl;dr?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #74
AustinPowers

Dear Reviewer,

I feel really bad about you being bashed by the dumbest of Dota Chat's lot. They're just WAYYY too stupid and butthurt to see the subtle humour in your article and the generous compliments that you pay to Dota 2's aspects while at the same time mocking the unforgiving community.

This "review" was epic. It's beautifully written. It introduces people to the concept of what a Dota-like game is by explaining some of it's general aspects from the eyes of someone who had a bad start.

I wouldn't call it a review per se, but for what it is, the article talks about the game and the genre in an unconventional way.
So if it wasn't an official review, this would be one of the most epic articles ever.

Sincerely,

A calm forum member.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #75
Green Yoshi

Steam: Yoshi
Guide Writing Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroNeko View Post

Agreed. It's the thing that makes Dota a truly awesome game. Last year I played in a small local tournament and we came second, but looking back, I realise how badly we actually sucked and how far I've improved as a player. I feel like this every year, actually. I look back on the previous year and think of myself as a noob back then, and it'll probably be the same next year.

Quote:
competive play is useless to balance heroes
Quote:
Well I told you that last couple of years but as far I see nobody is deny anymore in Dota2 guess now all people realized that deny is useless
Old 09-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #76
Domenico
Forum Staff

Steam: barrogh

Quote:
The funny part, he wasn't exactly bashing the community. Though his manner of including some hints on it was entertaining.

You guys are still buying words for what they literally stand? A little advice: don't.

Author wrote a good essay, pretty much wrapping up that feeling of confusion that usually reigns in newbs' heads at first and didn't fail to deliver it. This write-up suck if you look at it with eyes of old bittervet, yet it's good if you forget everything you know and just read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRough View Post
any version that is not tl;dr?
"You get flamed in DotA because there's so much to learn that you will suck for a long time, yet the fuzzy feeling when you on occasions don't will keep you playing."

Short version completely destroys the spirit of the essay though.

"The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments."
— Friedrich Nietzsche

------------------------------------------
DC and VG mod. Feel free to PM me with your concerns.
My Steam
Note that I have that infamous edit-a-lot-after-posting syndrome.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #77
TaZz_latic

no problem just keep learning the game lol
Old 09-24-2012, 05:41 AM   #78
Noxonius
Banned

That wasn't a review...it was a shitty rant.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #79
Garlic-Twist

lol I'm not going to lie, I would probably have reacted the same way as zeus. Ranged heroes that go vlads annoy the shit out of me.

I think that once you've learnt a game, such as DotA 2 from scratch, that you expect everyone to be on more or less the same par as you. You have a LOT less tolerance for dumb moves. As the review says, it ruins the game for four other players, regardless of how well they're doing.

I'm not sure about you guys/girls, but I don't want to join a game to TEACH players how to play their hero or tell them what to buy.

P.S. Scathing review of a beta gives an 85? Misinterpreted or not, that's how it came off.
maelstrom is likely the best.
  Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat