Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Lord_Talron

Default Sven vs Axe

this is a (dota2) LORE BASED fight.
use their backstory and abilities to argue who would win in a fight. indicate how close or not the fight is by rating how much the winner wins on a scale of 1-10

fight takes place in the sentinel jungle

this fight brings into question if cosmetic item flavor text is considered canonical lore. if so, there are several feats that could be useful to either party.

Axe is an absolute beast who has (supposedly) taken on entire armies by himself, but Sven is mighty too and has some finesse that Axe most likely lacks

will mogul khan's sheer force of beard beat sven or will sven's sword mastery win the day?

also: dota2wiki.com/wiki is a great source for the flavor text on dota2 abilities

dota2.com/store for any cosmetic item flavor texts
Old 09-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
OmniXVII

Default Re: Sven vs Axe

I think Axe would win (10) not even close. Axe has much more battle experience and would win brute-force, while Sven (although 'trained') as a knight within a corrupt order, would be at a disadvantage due to his inexperience in actual combat and his limitations that his personal code abides him by.
Also, by the way Axe's ultimate is described:

"Mogul Khan is the embodiment of battle and fury, launching into a gruesome fatality against those who dare engage the Axe in combat."

Sven: "It will be an honorable battle, truly a spar of the cen-*splat*
Axe: "CULLED!"
Old 09-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Lord_Talron

^we have no idea what his personal code says and what limitations it may/may not offer
Old 09-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
OmniXVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Talron View Post
^we have no idea what his personal code says and what limitations it may/may not offer
Yeah a bad assumption on my part, but from what I can guess Sven would take honor and pride over taking a cheap-shot in a pre-designated duel.

I rather do enjoy these lore-battles. I hope someone shall take up Sven's side and argue as to why he would win versus Axe!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Sentry_ward
Banned

Sven is a knight with a shiny blade
Axe is the general of an army
In fact, axe is all the troops of said army too
I'd say Axe will win, but it's not a complete stomp
Old 09-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Skagzill

I am not gonna go through all items they both have decent amount that makes it harder to pick, but like that I think Sven will beat Axe. I do believe so that Axe is more terrifyingly brutal in fights and wins through sheer brute force and fear he instills in enemies, but Sven is a warrior trained to battle so fear should not be something that affects him that much and skill>brute force all the time. Plus Sven wears more armor than Axe, and Axe might suffer from death of thousand cuts. However, what makes me wonder is strength comparison between Oglodli and half-Human/half-Meranth.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
fremdlaender

Guide Writing Award Suggestion Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry_ward View Post
Axe is the general of an army
In fact, axe is all the troops of said army too
Axe is a general who's entire army either fled or died.
That says something about his strategical sense.

Sven wins this.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
MR-President

Suggestion Award 

Actual footage of Sven and Axe fighting in the Radiant (Sentinel) jungle.

What's done is done. No need to discuss it further.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Sentry_ward
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremdlaender View Post

Sven wins this.
Since when strategical sense matters in 1v1 where both parties just hhit each other until one dies?
Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Fluicor

Sven wins.Axe whole strategy is going on a rampage against mass enemies(which is very well reflected in his actual gameplay).Sven great broadsword lets him engage axe from relative safety and let him dodge his rampage more easely.
The amount of armor is very important too.Sven is heavely armored,so he can make a mistake or two without actually losing his life,but his weapon is specifically designed to bring down poorly armored behemots like axe.

Shaking it is all I know.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
Skaloon
Banned

Axe would beat anyone. even if someone beats axe - he would still feel as he has lost - Axe's bravado is unmatched

GOOD DAY SIR
Last edited by Skaloon; 09-25-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
DrFrank
Banned

Judging solely from their lores, and what I understand of the DotA2-verse, I'd hazard a (biased) guess at Sven's victory. Being the superior hero is more than decapitating heads or destroying armies. IMO it's more of a case where an individual's combined capabilities boost their status to that of a Hero, and Sven must have some standing or fame as a Rogue Knight to be a Hero. As a Rogue Knight, Sven's single-minded determination and rigorous training can definitely prove to be more than a match for the army-culling maniac.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #13
Lord_Talron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrank View Post
Judging solely from their lores, and what I understand of the DotA2-verse, I'd hazard a (biased) guess at Sven's victory. Being the superior hero is more than decapitating heads or destroying armies. IMO it's more of a case where an individual's combined capabilities boost their status to that of a Hero, and Sven must have some standing or fame as a Rogue Knight to be a Hero. As a Rogue Knight, Sven's single-minded determination and rigorous training can definitely prove to be more than a match for the army-culling maniac.
axe has engaged lots of highly talented generals and kings in single combat if his cosmetic item lore is canonical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skagzill View Post
I am not gonna go through all items they both have decent amount that makes it harder to pick, but like that I think Sven will beat Axe. I do believe so that Axe is more terrifyingly brutal in fights and wins through sheer brute force and fear he instills in enemies, but Sven is a warrior trained to battle so fear should not be something that affects him that much and skill>brute force all the time. Plus Sven wears more armor than Axe, and Axe might suffer from death of thousand cuts. However, what makes me wonder is strength comparison between Oglodli and half-Human/half-Meranth.
i think both possess strength not common to any of their races represented
Old 09-26-2012, 03:09 AM   #14
Unfawkable

Axe is a blood thirsty behemoth who can furiously rush to bash opponents and win most of the time, but when it comes to Sven, I believe he would be the type of the guy who would win depending on what's at stake. Besides his life that is.

Sven is probably the closest thing to a Spartan in this game, and when a Spartan defends something, a behemoth better bring a few friends.
His ulti is like a freaking super saiyan come at me bro spell. My vote goes to Sven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by potog View Post
I was killing other kids when I was a kid and I don't brag about it
Quote:
http://www.playdota.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1427925 - If you don't agree with this guide, you are what's wrong with this community.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #15
Bernoully

Steam: bernoully

Yes, only theorycrafting and blog threads are not shit posts in DC. *rolls eyes*

OT: If going by cosmetic item adding to canon, then Axe is way stronger and experience than Sven, taking down big figures in warfare. If excluded, Sven may be at least on par with Axe since the Rogue Knight had armour, his iron gauntlet stun (Storm Hammer) and descriptions in his ulti. Axe is still more battle-hardened than Sven, so he may have more 1v1 tactics up his sleeves. It's all due to his hard work and dedication.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:24 AM   #16
Lord_Talron

^what is your opinion? are cosmetic items real lore? they are valve approved once they make it into the store but idk how much they care/affect what the flavor text says
Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 AM   #17
Alidfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrank View Post
Judging solely from their lores
The problem I have here is that Sven's lore doesn't even really say if he's particularly good.

We know he's immensely strong, and if cosmetics are canon, that he's made a good living as a "Rogue Knight"... but there's no real description of particular feats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremdlaender View Post

Sven wins this.
Technically, Axe's troops all died/fled before he became general.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:58 AM   #18
Bernoully

Quote:
^what is your opinion? are cosmetic items real lore? they are valve approved once they make it into the store but idk how much they care/affect what the flavor text says
My understanding is that since all approved Workshop items have flavour text added/modified by Valve writers, we should consider them canon by default. Most Workshop items differ in name and flavour text with their finalized counterparts, showing that the writers had lots of input. I think this is part of the Valve's lore-building ways (it was the same case with TF2 items, some tell backstories eg. Scout's Track Terrorizer).
Old 09-26-2012, 04:00 AM   #19
Lord_Talron

excellent! that is absolutely delicious to know. im going to say axe definitely wins this then. on top of 1v1ing legendary opponents, hes felled entire cities.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #20
amoura

i love sven... so sven win
Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #21
Lord_Talron

feel free to back it up. what feats indicate to you that sven is the better fighter? or strong enough to survive axe's assault?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #22
amoura

well because sven go to school and study... duh
Old 09-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #23
Lord_Talron

and axe has had years upon years of first-hand experience in single combat, group combat, and the pretty much any type of wartime destruction and fighting you can think of

not to mention its without doubt that hes had formal training before he became a grunt.

you're going to have to do better than that.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #24
amoura

its hard to land a job without proper education... so axe mostly gain ranks by... well chopping others head...

while sven got an exceptional education... and after that killed all the competition... he win
Old 09-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #25
Lord_Talron

it never said he killed any of the vigil knights

meanwhile axe has killed legendary generals and commanders with ease
Old 09-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #26
amoura

sven is left-handed
Old 09-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #27
Lord_Talron

if you're not going to bother to back yourself up, what are you doing here? just admit defeat if you cannot find a reason he can win. no one will judge you, its all just for fun
Old 09-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #28
amoura

yes... i'm defeated... but sven has god strength... Arghhhh!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #29
DrFrank
Banned

Skill wise:

Axe
Berserker's Call: Strengthens himself, takes less damage. [+]
Battle Hunger: Incites target with lust for blood, however Sven is a trained Knight of Valour and doesn't give shit [-]
Counter Helix: Returns damage upon attack [+]
Culling Blade Beard: Insta-kill target on low health, but in a fight against Sven, I'd say situational []

Sven
Storm Hammer: Stuns, deals damage (from a distance, mind you) [+]
Great Cleave: Hits all foes around him, useless against Axe [-]
Warcry: PUMPS SVEN UP Increases resistance to damage and speed, allowing Sven to outmanoeuvre Axe [+]
God's Strength: Sven reveals his true strength, possibly putting him on par with Axe's brute force [+]

I'd say Sven wins.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #30
Lord_Talron

^i dont see what that has to do with anything. we're looking at feats, not an evaluation of what their abilities do
Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #31
DrFrank
Banned

Quote:
^i dont see what that has to do with anything. we're looking at feats, not an evaluation of what their abilities do

First post said lore battle 1 vs 1.

I posted my opinion on who would win.

If you're taking about feats, then Invoker > everyone else.

But they are all Heroes, which makes them different from regular warriors, mages and the like. I mean, we have heroes ranging from representations of the universe and elements (AA, Enigma, Chaos Knight, Wisp etc) to rabble like Meepo, Bounty Hunter, Gyro etc. Yet they are bunched in the same group, which means they all should stand a chance against the other...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #32
Lord_Talron

^i disagree, they dont and they shouldnt all be able to stand against one another.

in marvel ultimate alliance 2 thor is all but just as durable as captain america, but you wouldnt say cap is anywhere on the same level of strength or capability as thor would you?

i see sentry lurking
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #33
Sentry_ward
Banned

Quote:
^i disagree, they dont and they shouldnt all be able to stand against one another.

in marvel ultimate alliance 2 thor is all but just as durable as captain america, but you wouldnt say cap is anywhere on the same level of strength or capability as thor would you?

i see sentry lurking
I don't see any reason to post, we have already established that the strongest heroes are the forces of the universe (Enigma, wisp, chaos knight, keeper of the light) and the strongest "normal" hero is rubick (normal as in a standard person)

Cosmetic flavour text should be taken into account just like ability flavour text is

Axe is a trained general who defeats hordes of enemies alone, sven is a guy who first became a knight and then removed all treasures from his knight school
Furthermore, if we take into account culling blade's flavour text he can use it whenever an enemy is wounded, not necessarily near death
So yea, I stand with my Axe-will-win prediction
Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #34
Schmeiser

I've always thought of Sven as a calm, super fast thinking knight, axe relies on brute force with no tactics at all, he just rushes in and chops stuff and possibly taunts his enemies and uses berserkers blood to make them do mistakes and succumb to axe. BUT sven is a highly trained strong willed knight that will not fall for these weak tactics, sven wins with axe maybe hitting him once or twice
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #35
Go_me

Related
Old 09-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #36
Lord_Talron

lol'd
Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #37
Bernoully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_me View Post
Related
So much win. Pretty amusing stuff
Old 10-05-2012, 04:13 AM   #38
Lord_Talron

new cosmetic items offer even more proof for axe's victory. hes bested many powerful fighters in singular combat, including one fabled to be able to end any duel in a single blow
Old 10-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #39
DrFrank
Banned

Those many "powerful fighters" weren't Heroes. Sven is a Hero, not some random ordinary "powerful fighter", and stands a better chance of defeating Axe. More than a better chance, I'd say.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #40
Lord_Talron

whos to say they werent heroes? they're dead now tho

the point of the matter is, axe has plenty of feats to back him up, sven does not