Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
MPredatorX

Default Scammers, scammers everywhere

[SIZE="6"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]
Scammers around us[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Written by [COLOR="Red"]Mr.Ham[/COLOR] on November 25, 2012. Posted in [COLOR="Red"]Trading Insights[/COLOR]

[IMG]http://dota2prices.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/scammers.png[/IMG]

Paypal scam, fast-switching item, item rename, accepting trade then logging off in a hope of a trade bug (which was never confirmed), false spam / advertise, eggs with unusual essences on them and other various forms of immoral actions regarding Dota 2 trading are explained in this article.

[COLOR="White"][SIZE="4"][B]Fast removing items[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

We all, at some point already, encountered fast removing item from trade window. If you are careful enough while making trade, you will see that scammer removed his item(s) in his attempt to get your items for free. Our advice is to be patient and make sure that you double check everything before you click final button “Make trade”.

[COLOR="White"][B][SIZE="4"]Item renaming[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

The second way is renaming item name. Most common examples which are used in this deceptive trading are: “Dragonclaw Hook”, “Kantusa the Script Sword”, “Bow of the Howling Wind”, “Wyneguard Edge”, “Berserkers Witchslayer”, “Timebreaker” and “Recluse Reef Denizen”. If you are not certain how particular cosmetic item looks before you trade, make sure that you google picture of it.

[COLOR="White"][B][SIZE="4"]Diretide scams
[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
With Diretide event, things got even more complicated. We are referring here on selling Eggs with unusual essences. If a player claims to have 1x, 2x, 3x Unusual Essences in their eggs with “screenshot” as proof, there is a very high chance that you’ll end up with normal egg when trade is complete. Never ever trade for unhatched Egg with unusual essences in it because it does not show in trade window. You have been warned.

Furthermore, if you want to buy unusual Greevil make sure that it has a) all body parts and b) desirable particular effect. Avoid buying crippled and Air / Ambiance couriers as 3xUE Full Parts. We hope that you’re all familiar with what “perfect” means and how many Unusual Essences is needed for each effect. If not, check our page with courier prices.

Latest example which we encountered regarding Greevils is when random player wants you to hatch cheaper version of courier with 3 x Unusual Essences and they are “ready” to offer you 40+ keys for it. If you do it, “buyer” will probably (read: for certain) instantly remove your from a friend list after that. Don’t hatch Greevils for them – do it only if it is one of the most desired Greevil couriers by the community (again, check our Greevil price sheet) so that, in the end, you lose nothing when so-called-buyer changes his mind.

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"][B]Paypal scammers[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last, but not the least, are Paypal scammers and all other forms of trade that include transactions with real cash. Do not trade your items for real money unless you intend to use free service of middleman – 3rd person in trade which will make sure that everything went well. Be warned and keep in mind – if you do accept 3rd party middleman suggested by your buyer make sure that you double check them both on Steam Rep home page. Even when 3rd party seems as legit middleman from known Dota 2 trading sites – again, make sure to check them both on Steam Rep because most common thing in Dota 2 traders are imposters (they claim to be the person which they are not). Go to page where this 3rd person claims to have admin / moderator / middleman status, triple check their original steam profile and make 110% sure they are who they are claim to be – exact steam name (name has to be exact to the each symbol / letter), steam profile and items in their inventory. If there is a slightest difference in any of these details – do not trade with those players.

Also, if the buyer made PayPay transaction and you see that money went half way through – do not send your items until that money actually appears on your Paypal / bank account. Reason behind this is that, when paying with PayPal / credit cards, buyer must approve transaction to the very end so if you see “Pending” message and similar – do not send your items just yet – buyer can “Cancel” that sending request.

Make sure to bookmark [COLOR="Red"]Steam Rep[/COLOR] as well as [COLOR="Red"]Steam Rep Home Page[/COLOR] – this is your best virtual bullet for your virtual gun against players with questionable morals.

Thank you for reading and write to us if you find any other interesting or “new” ways of scams on Dota 2.

----------------------------------------------------------------
hope this helps!

source: [URL="http://dota2prices.com/scammers-around-us/"]http://dota2prices.com/scammers-around-us/[/URL][COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]bump[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:41 PM ----------[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]bump, increase scammer awareness!
Last edited by MPredatorX; 11-30-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
boom_jeen

Default Re: Information for everyone

nice, free bump
Old 11-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
MPredatorX

Default Re: Information for everyone

bump
Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
DasDingoMan20

Default Re: REPORT ALL THOSE SCAMMERS!!!

bump traded with 1 before 30 min lol )
Old 11-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #5
MPredatorX

whos the person? did you report him?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
DasDingoMan20

nope :-/ i didnt know how 2 do that i dont remmember his name it was short like 4 latter i will see can i find it ... And how 2 report them and where ? tnx on time ....
Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #7
MPredatorX

report violation in his profile and what did he scam u? got any screenshots in the chat/trade? feel free to ask the forums if u arent sure of anything and to check [URL="dota2prices.com"]dota2prices.com[/URL] for info about prices nowadays
Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #8
DasDingoMan20

oh there is he naruto [url]http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077182097/[/url] [COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 06:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------[/SIZE]

[/COLOR][QUOTE=DasDingoMan20;7424946]oh there is he naruto [url]http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077182097/[/url] [/QUOTE]
nope only form loby when he offer TB for 10 key fast trade D ...and i use that site tnx againe
Old 11-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
MPredatorX

bump
Old 11-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #10
JettGreenField

lol freaking old scam tactics
Old 11-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #11
MPredatorX

[QUOTE=JettGreenField;7425247]lol freaking old scam tactics[/QUOTE]

yeah still managed to work against many people nowadays...
Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
fuzzaye

how do you check ur trade history or chat history? i got scammed but no idea how to get him, i reported violation on his steam profile.. i dno what else to do
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
MPredatorX

go to ur profile in steam>inventory at the right>view inventory history at the right[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]bump
Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
Singham

[QUOTE=fuzzaye;7425517]how do you check ur trade history or chat history? i got scammed but no idea how to get him, i reported violation on his steam profile.. i dno what else to do[/QUOTE]

You go to your inventory and up right corner you have View Inventory History.

[B]On topic:[/B] keks1q is one of untagged scammers. I reported him but because i did not have time stamps in chat log conversation they could not tag him as scammer...
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #15
MPredatorX

[QUOTE=Singham;7427601]You go to your inventory and up right corner you have View Inventory History.

[B]On topic:[/B] keks1q is one of untagged scammers. I reported him but because i did not have time stamps in chat log conversation they could not tag him as scammer...[/QUOTE]

any screenshots from trade/chat?
valve should really do sth about this, such as stricter rules and more likely to reverse the trade, but unfortunately its just very rarely and sometimes even the scammers dont get any punishment...
Old 11-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
Bry3yaL

Default Re: Scammers, scammers everywhere

very helpful information
i'm sure everyone would appreciate this sooner or later
Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #17
Singham

[QUOTE=MPredatorX;7427731]any screenshots from trade/chat?
valve should really do sth about this, such as stricter rules and more likely to reverse the trade, but unfortunately its just very rarely and sometimes even the scammers dont get any punishment...[/QUOTE]

Yep but they said since i did not have time stamps enabled for chat log they could not mark him as scammer.

So enable Timestamps in chat log ^^

Valve is more or less useless for this. Steamrep or D2T only way to deal with scammers atm.. I did not even bother with asking valve to reverse trade i just reported him. It was not big trade.

I hope for trade ban ^^
Last edited by Singham; 11-30-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #18
MPredatorX

problem is for ppl who got scammed expensive items such as drodo/kantusa find it hard to recover from the damage it caused, i met a person before who ever got scammed $2400.... poor guy

well we cant do anything about it except reporting... must be more aware nowadays and more vilgilant in trading[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 AM ----------[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]bump
Old 12-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #19
beinbliss

bump

Here be potential scammers list(will be adding everyone i encounter):

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kdotz (uses name tag to fake items)

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198055521223/ (uses name tag to fake items)
Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #20
h34dHuNt3R-

nice one, free bump
Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #21
noRman

The Kantusa One, REALLy made me lol.
I mean.. the bow of the howling wind, may looks like the Bow of the Crystal Caves, and if i'm distracted, i may not notice... but that sword doesn't look like kantusa at all.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #22
B1G

very nice and important pieces of information. Thanks.
I have not yet been really "scammed" like this, but a lot of times people wanted to rip me off so hard it should be illegal^^

good example is a russian who told me that it's an incredibly good deal for me to give away my mouz drodo for his unboxed drodo + few rare items, after all he said that he was "losing in that trade" and that "tagged couriers were worth a lot less than normal ones". So I played the naive guy and went so far to go into the trade window just to see if he was so cold-blooded. He was. Bad karma man...

Just 30 mins ago someone offered me a very high price for a defense ticket because he thought you get the sheep courier by using the ticket. of course I explained to him that it doesn't work like that and he thanked me for not pulling a trick on him. Good karma.

A bit of profit is okay imho, especially if you buy stuff from the store for someone else, but there are limits.

Anyway, nice thread, bump.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #23
Uhrenmann

up
Old 12-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #24
onemanblues

Good Job BUMP!!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #25
MPredatorX

bump![COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------[/SIZE]

[/COLOR][QUOTE=B1G;7433833]very nice and important pieces of information. Thanks.
I have not yet been really "scammed" like this, but a lot of times people wanted to rip me off so hard it should be illegal^^

good example is a russian who told me that it's an incredibly good deal for me to give away my mouz drodo for his unboxed drodo + few rare items, after all he said that he was "losing in that trade" and that "tagged couriers were worth a lot less than normal ones". So I played the naive guy and went so far to go into the trade window just to see if he was so cold-blooded. He was. Bad karma man...

Just 30 mins ago someone offered me a very high price for a defense ticket because he thought you get the sheep courier by using the ticket. of course I explained to him that it doesn't work like that and he thanked me for not pulling a trick on him. Good karma.

A bit of profit is okay imho, especially if you buy stuff from the store for someone else, but there are limits.

Anyway, nice thread, bump.[/QUOTE]

in my opinion its still better to refer prices in here: [URL="http://www.dota2prices.com"]http://www.dota2prices.com[/URL]
well to prevent ppl from tricking me, i seldom do non-1:1 trades[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 10:58 PM ----------[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]bump
Old 12-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #26
Dendrophile

[quote]Written by Mr.Ham[/quote]

I almost died when I saw who wrote this "guide".
Old 12-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #27
neochills99

Thanks for this.
many scammers all over.
people should be more vigilante.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/neochills99/

2. Alternate Account
http://steamcommunity.com/id/rohansamal/

or mail me here : rohansamal@outlook.com
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #28
MPredatorX