Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
NegiThree

Default Standalone Dota 2 without Steam

Yes, I'm downloading Dota 2 as we speak (after more than 2 years off, eh?)
No, you can't add me as a friend.

Meanwhile, I'm going to talk about Steam and why I hate it. In fact according to some articles many people have, at some point of time in their life, hated Steam. That's not very surprising. After loading it up again after 7 years I find that I still hate it. Steam is a bloated piece of shit that takes up more space than it should, works slower than almost any other program I know of (LoL's client being another strong contender), and is forever updating with rubbish.

I'm sure there are some people who miss firing up WC3 in 5 seconds, clicking on B.Net or LAN in another 5 seconds, and jumping into a game shortly after.

I've absolutely zero interest, ZILCH, in seeing what other shitty games there are on offer. Steam also runs nonsense in the background, taking up power and bandwidth. I don't even want to see what other people are playing, what my friends are doing, pop-up game invites, so on so forth --

Don't get me wrong, such options are NICE TO HAVE, but like Windows Vista, opt-in is better than opt-out ("Are you sure you want to run this program?!") If I want to view the shop, then it'll take some time to load, but if I don't want to see it, then it shouldn't get in my way.

In short it is not only a hassle, but is also tremendously bloated piece of shitware, and SLOW. Other modern games (admittedly I play very few), eg. SC2, make it very quick and painless to jump straight from your desktop into a game, and I don't see why Dota 2 cannot enjoy the same treatment.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Fluoprotein

Default Re: Standalone Dota 2 without Steam
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

I've been using it every day for the last 6 years. It's still annoying to me.

However, I learned how to endure it.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
TheBoneZone

I right click the steam icon in the tray, click dota 2

yes, steam could be much much better

Everything I say is trademarkedô

Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
NegiThree

I bought HL2 in 2004 (iirc) and when i wanted to play it a little again in 2005 it had to update for about 1 and a half hours. Einstein would be proud. Game itself was a 10/10, though.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
LulzYeah Cdeqz
Banned

As far as my Steam goes, the update is very fast and isn't even noticeable. The pop-up ads were not even bothering me to be honest. You should learn to endure it.

I didn't notice any background issues so I can't comment on that.

I agree with the slow loading time. It wasted a lot of precious time (trying to reconnect) when I have to re-opened the DotA 2 client.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Fluoprotein

My first purchase was the Orange Box. I remember Steam being way slower and more annoying. They managed to make it a tad better.

I've been having issues with loading pages lately, but I guess it's my crappy internet provider's fault.

I'm not an expert about what steam does in background while you're playing but there should be an option to put it in some kind of "sleep" mode when you're playing games.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
NegiThree

As far as different approaches go I prefer Blizzard's to Valve's (again, I realise that steam is a platform, not a game, but...)

For Blizzard you log-in and buy through their online store using a webpage, just like you would do online shopping, you get a code, enter it, it's yours forever - just like steam. Want to re-download it? No problem.

But when it comes to launching the game, you just double click the icon in windows and click play (if there's a patch it installs automatically). Voila. It's hard to point out flaws because they don't exist.

Valve forces you to launch a program to launch a program...if that's not dumb, I don't know what is.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Koutsiog~

Rating (-1) Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Too bad, don't play it if you don't like it

Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
RoflCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegiThree View Post
Valve forces you to launch a program to launch a program...if that's not dumb, I don't know what is.
You need to launch your OS to run just about every program out there, Microsoft must be dumb.

I don't see you complain about all those other programs Windows load when you startup (and many of them have those 'problems' you mention Steam have, like running in background, doing things without telling you)

I proceeded to and cry myself some tears of blood over the bullshit I just saw.
I don't see a sword here.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
NegiThree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflCat View Post
You need to launch your OS to run just about every program out there, Microsoft must be dumb.

I don't see you complain about all those other programs Windows load when you startup (and many of them have those 'problems' you mention Steam have, like running in background, doing things without telling you)
i like your logic, you must be very clever.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Scourged

Steam is what keeps PC gaming alive, Without Steam Dota 2 probably wouldn't be F2P.

Now get on your knees and kiss anything that resembles an ass.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
Daedem
Banned

Do people not know how to set up Steam so that you just have to right click steam portrait and click Dota 2. Voila, no taking forever, no bullshit you're talking about.

People and computers these days -.-

Also, thinking back to Bnet/Garena days. It was a fuckton more irritating trying to find a game, or even launch Dota.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
Dingolicious

Steam isn't amazing but it's not as bad as you make out. Sorry bro.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
NegiThree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedem View Post
Do people not know how to set up Steam so that you just have to right click steam portrait and click Dota 2. Voila, no taking forever, no bullshit you're talking about.

People and computers these days -.-

Also, thinking back to Bnet/Garena days. It was a fuckton more irritating trying to find a game, or even launch Dota.
afraid u dont understand, steam is running in the background as a platform to other games as well, naturally it would be bloated. my question is why go through a "platform" to use a "program". (dumb analogies like why use an OS will be ignored)

as i speak it is taking up 210k memory in task manager - not a whole lot - but still annoying, and to Aussies like me without the best internet infrastructure, a little bit of background internet consumption can mean a lot of problems...

can you explain why u had problems with wc3? it was literally double click icon, click bnet, enter password, click custom game, double click on game, no lag between screens whatsoever, no ads, no updates, nothing!

Old 12-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
mundizor

Sure, you can start wc3 and dota in about 10 seconds but if you don't want to play on Bnet you have about the same start time as steam. for example Garena or dotaPickup. Theese takes times to start too.

And if you look at it from other peoples angles you might consider that other people like having many of their games in one portal.

And the size is barely noticable. Have you seen EA's Origin?

btw WC3 has updates too. They are just very rare.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
sbsolarski

I don't usually post, but I just had to in this case.

If steam is taking up 210k of your memory then you are doing something wrong. Steam (for me) is using 25k, that's less then Internet Explorer (and it is downloading a game mind you).

I'm Aussie as well and all I've got to say is suck it up Princess, many computers these days can run Steam on the side with zero problems, hardly affecting performance at all.

Compared to trash like Origin, Steam is a wonderful. Don't get me wrong mate I'm very anal and paranoid about installing bloatware but Steam is far from it, if configured correctly then it becomes the instant access program you are craving.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
[AirCoN]

steam is the platform that connects internet gamers, without it, internet gaming communities would be completely dissipated and making the whole "multiplayer experience" massive.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
sbsolarski

Quote:
afraid u dont understand, steam is running in the background as a platform to other games as well, naturally it would be bloated. my question is why go through a "platform" to use a "program". (dumb analogies like why use an OS will be ignored)
The primary reason for having an over-arching client like steam is to maintain quality assurance on their part. It grants the developer the ability to update games across the entire population (ensuring QA), integrate social / community functions (it becomes a great social hub for your gamer friends) as well as bolster the PC gaming scene with mod support incentives like Steam Workshop and Greenlight.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
NegiThree

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsolarski View Post
I don't usually post, but I just had to in this case.

If steam is taking up 210k of your memory then you are doing something wrong. Steam (for me) is using 25k, that's less then Internet Explorer (and it is downloading a game mind you).

I'm Aussie as well and all I've got to say is suck it up Princess, many computers these days can run Steam on the side with zero problems, hardly affecting performance at all.

Compared to trash like Origin, Steam is a wonderful. Don't get me wrong mate I'm very anal and paranoid about installing bloatware but Steam is far from it, if configured correctly then it becomes the instant access program you are craving.
i stay in one of the eastern suburbs atm and i get 600ms spikes on LoL, somewhat rarer in WoW. i think the wiring is a bit old but whatever, i'm not a big internet user (30 GB a month lol) so I'm not too keen on getting a better plan.

i dont know why it takes up that much memory but i just fired it up after years, many years...i'm no pc expert but again whatever, admittedly the lag only comes when internet is being used.

i don't understand what you mean by instant access. to me instant access is launching SC2, WoW, LoL and soon to be Dota 2 from my desktop with a couple of clicks. i don't see the need for steam to act as an intermediary between my desktop and the game.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
Lama051

Steam: Lama051

Quote:

as i speak it is taking up 210k memory in task manager - not a whole lot - but still annoying, and to Aussies like me without the best internet infrastructure, a little bit of background internet consumption can mean a lot of problems...

can you explain why u had problems with wc3? it was literally double click icon, click bnet, enter password, click custom game, double click on game, no lag between screens whatsoever, no ads, no updates, nothing!
Not sure what are you complaining about, you can disable updates for any other game you have there, you can disable ads, and the patches of the Steam client itself are quite rare and do not take forever.

Also about Battle.net, I'm not sure how getting kicked repeatedly from lobby because
A) They do not know me
B) I have low PSR rating
C) I'm Czech
D) I have numbers in my Nick
E) I have Lama in my Nick
F) They are bunch of douchebags

combined with
A) Banned on this host
B) Declared mode you do not like
C) Ingame mode different from declared one

is any better than Steam, which is in my opinion quite good.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
NegiThree

yeah, you're comparing a 2001 version of bnet to 2012 steam...

sc2 uses the latest version of bnet, where u launch the game, enter password, click play and bnet does its magic.

it's the most idiot proof, time-saving system i know. granted bnet has some of its own problems, but getting into a game isn't one of them.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
Lama051

Steam: Lama051

Quote:
yeah, you're comparing a 2001 version of bnet to 2012 steam...

sc2 uses the latest version of bnet, where u launch the game, enter password, click play and bnet does its magic.

it's the most idiot proof, time-saving system i know. granted bnet has some of its own problems, but getting into a game isn't one of them.
I'm comparing the battle.net accessible from W3, why the hell would I compare it with SC2, I could as well compare it with mine sweeper.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #23
hello7op

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198066128647/

I don't have any problem with the loading time, maybe ur computer got some problem or virus?

Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #24
NegiThree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lama051 View Post
I'm comparing the battle.net accessible from W3, why the hell would I compare it with SC2, I could as well compare it with mine sweeper.
nobel prize winner

Old 12-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #25
nryn

well, at least i can trade w/o running dota 2 on shitty laptop w/ 1 gb ram.
but when I play dota 2 on comp shops, it doesn't bother me as well.

btw, even if you click dota 2, not steam, it shows you steam log in but run dota 2 immediately.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #26
Interrobangin

Never had a problem with Steam's use of resources or game loading times personally. Admittedly, I have my favorite games bound to the extra keys on my keyboard, so launching them is perceptibly instantaneous. Naturally, PC is a very varied system, so I understand that not everybody is running the same environment.

If you want to cut down on loading time (and have already lowered the game's settings), you can shorten it a little by adding "-novid" in the launch options. It's not a massive difference, but if you like shaving off seconds, it works a treat.

Beyond that, you're not going to have any luck getting Valve to publish one of their own games outside of their system. From Valve's perspective, it would only result in losses. There are alternatives of course, and it seems as if Icefrog intends to support wc3 dota for some time, and you don't need Steam for that.
Though your signature says you no longer play dota, so I suppose the entire thread is a nonissue.

Ultimately, however, your topic would be better discussed here: http://dev.dota2.com/forum.php

Old 12-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #27
bitspirit

Dota 2 couldnt be free if not for steam(atleast not the way it is now)

Old 12-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #28
fremdlaender

Guide Writing Award Suggestion Award 

Smells like Blog, tbh.
'Mimimi, I have to wait 1minute to join a game' doesn't seem like a legit concern.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #29
zeraeign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluoprotein View Post
I've been using it every day for the last 6 years. It's still annoying to me.

However, I learned how to endure it.
This. Hahahahahaha.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #30
NegiThree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interrobangin View Post
Beyond that, you're not going to have any luck getting Valve to publish one of their own games outside of their system. From Valve's perspective, it would only result in losses. There are alternatives of course, and it seems as if Icefrog intends to support wc3 dota for some time, and you don't need Steam for that.
Though your signature says you no longer play dota, so I suppose the entire thread is a nonissue.

Ultimately, however, your topic would be better discussed here: http://dev.dota2.com/forum.php
As I said I'm downloading Dota 2 now, so my sig may need some updating. Beyond that, let me try to explain again...

I've no problem with Valve publishing (and having to buy) Dota 2 through Steam.
I've a problem with having to play Dota 2 through Steam.

Let me illustrate the Blizzard model:

Desktop -> Game
Website -> Purchases

And the Valve model:

Desktop -> Steam (Purchases) -> Game

Naturally, purchases are something you make quite rarely as opposed to playing the game, so it makes sense that they're on a platform separate from the game itself.

The thing is that Steam is not just dedicated to Dota 2, it's dedicated to IDK how many games. That obviously creates a need for more resources and updates for things that are peripheral to Dota 2, i.e. things I don't care about.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #31
Koutsiog~

So what?
What are you aiming to accomplish in this thread more than bitch and whine?
Most people here don't care the slightest about steam, so you're not going to get the support of the community
Valve doesn't care about you, steam is their online store-community and is also what's keeping dota 2 free, they won't change it because you're crying
Even if valve cared, nobody from valve is in PD, so nobody would notice

So I ask you, why are you posting this thread?
What useful is going to come out of it?

Old 12-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #32
Fixthemix

I kinda agree. The option should be there.

Would make the game more accessable to people with slower computers/internet connections.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #33
Super-sheep
Banned

Quote:
Naturally, purchases are something you make quite rarely as opposed to playing the game, so it makes sense that they're on a platform separate from the game itself.
When they have both the store and your games in the same place the possibility that they will sell something is a lot higher.

Quote:
The thing is that Steam is not just dedicated to Dota 2, it's dedicated to IDK how many games. That obviously creates a need for more resources and updates for things that are peripheral to Dota 2, i.e. things I don't care about.
It won't check for updates or anything for a game that you won't have. Besides it doesn't do that when you are in a game.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #34
burningsera

Guide Writing Award 

Steam used to be shitty but now it is a very handy client. Embrace the good stuff!!

1. Now highlighted How to play Support guide
Thread version here
2. Now under construction: Compilation of Steam Guides for Veterans

Old 12-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #35
Madness101

Quote:
SC2, make it very quick and painless to jump straight from your desktop into a game, and I don't see why Dota 2 cannot enjoy the same treatment.
>Implying you can't use a deskopt icon for DotA 2

Okay OP,you just have NO idea how to use Steam at all.
Please,just,everyone give it up,its pointless.

Its like a new customer saying that you can't change deskopt on Windows 7(I have Windows 7 on my house,i can to that,by the way),Its often useless to talk with such ignorant client.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #36
wzuni9a

Yeah, I don't get what the problem is. I double click my Dota 2 desktop icon and I'm in the game in 10 seconds.

The game loading every page like Blog, News, Updates and all that shit inside the game because Valve apparently cannot cache these things takes significantly way more time.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #37
Koutsiog~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzuni9a View Post
Yeah, I don't get what the problem is. I double click my Dota 2 desktop icon and I'm in the game in 10 seconds.

The game loading every page like Blog, News, Updates and all that shit inside the game because Valve apparently cannot cache these things takes significantly way more time.
I hope you realize how dumb it would be to cache a news page?

Old 12-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #38
wzuni9a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koutsiog~ View Post
I hope you realize how dumb it would be to cache a news page?
I'm sure it's not hard to send some small packets of code to tell the client when a page is outdated and only then update it. Not to mention they load pages like Hero page, Item page, The International page each and every game startup as well.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #39
Semi-Formal

Sorry bro, you have to endure the crap that is Steam to play Dota 2. That's what happens when platform exclusive games come out. Don't see people crying that they can only play Halo 4 via Xbox.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #40
Night1301

Logout when you are done playing, done deal. 10s addition on startup, but saves you from frustration, like this.

Click Remilia for my Touhou albums, and here for Touhou doujins.

Closed Thread
  Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat