Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Raisen223
Banned

Default How to play Morphling?

I love the playstyle of this hero, but I just don't know how to play him. People keep saying that Morphling is one of the most powerful hard carries in the game and he can own when played right, and I honestly tried to master him, but always contributed very little to the team. So, I wanna understand how to play this hero. Any tips?

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Please? Anyone?
Old 03-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Lama051

Default Re: How to play Morphling?
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Get manta stack all stats, morph all into agi while having 2k hp. You can split push as well by going to one lane while having replicate on different one.

Max Wave first, morph seconds, adaptive last.

Remember your panic button for morph STR when you get ganked. Try having mana for Wave + tp. In case of danger wave into trees and tp/replicate out.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Raisen223
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lama051 View Post
Get manta stack all stats, morph all into agi while having 2k hp. You can split push as well by going to one lane while having replicate on different one.

Max Wave first, morph seconds, adaptive last.

Remember your panic button for morph STR when you get ganked. Try having mana for Wave + tp. In case of danger wave into trees and tp/replicate out.
Thank you.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
Lucre2808

Playing Morph is all about stacking your Agi as much as possible.
There are many choices for his tier 1 item, Linken, E.Blade, Manta etc... It's up to your playstyle, is it aggressive or defensive. If it's aggressive, having some time to farm and rush a E.Blade is a very good idea, it's just like a Spectre rushes her Radiance. Manta is good too but I don't usually pick it up unless I've already got the E.Blade. If you play defensively, Linken is a good choice for you. When you realize the mid game's pressure is too much for you, Linken is a good option, the mana regen will help you morph for a very long time, especially when you get ganked, the bonus stats are pretty decent. Sometimes, BKB is a very good option if you see there are too much burst damage and disables coming too you, especially hex, its long cast range will barely give you time to waveform away, so you'd better watch out if there is a Lion or Rhasta.
The next tier 2 and 3 or 4 are up to you, you can buy any items you want, Manta (if you haven't got it yet), Skadi, Butterfly etc...
After getting tier 1 item, your life is much better and easier. The fact is whether you play aggressively or defensively, you can still have some influence after you got some items, even just a perseverance or an ultimate orb. That's that power of Morphling, by stacking his agi, he hits really hard in early and mid game compared to many other carries, and Waveform is a very powerful nuke as well as good escape mechanism. I don't mention about Adaptive Strike in early and earl-mid game since not many people choose to skill it, most choose to max Waveform, take some stats and then max Morph. And another reason is it won't be so effective if you don't have too much agi. But if you got an early E.Blade, you can kill a target within 2 seconds, especially fragile heroes such as Rylai, Rhasta... Just get in, E.Blade, waveform and Adaptive Strike, that's a lot of burst damage coming out.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
300thecat
Forum Staff

Skadi is a very solid item on Morph. I don't find Manta too good, but a naked Yasha certainly helps.

If you get bored of AGI builds, try going all-STR instead.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Royal_Naga

Rod of Atos is great on him, it gives mana that he needs to switch between STR and AGI and a lot of HP, is mostly a item to buff your Morph ability and after that you can for a big item like Butter, Heart or Satanic
Old 03-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
TiMe-SquiD

and try stack 3 wraithband if you have bad laning phase.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
Sp12

Atos isn't bad but SKadi is basically what you're looking for from Atos anyway.

I feel like Linken's is really required after the nerfs. Endgame something like Linkens, Mant,a Eblade, Bfly, Satanic or (Skadi, BKB, Sheep, Abyssal, Orchid) BoTs.

Early game all your DPS comes from waveform. Mana is a serious issue. Morph is one of those all-stat heroes like Dusa.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #9
DucK-

Aquila Stick Treads Bottle -> EB -> Manta/Butterfly/DPS etc

This is the usual build I go for. You farm mainly, while carrying a TP to assist via counter gank. Or through your Replicate.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #10
SugaSutA

Manta allows you to split push faster than a team with tiny + wisp.

Atos is bad. No arguments.

Skadi is luxury. Since its deathball you'd rather focus on damage to start with, and unlike many other carries morphling actually carries with skadi, so its a great luxury to end off with.

Soul Ring -> Threads -> Pese -> Manta/Mael-> Butterfly/Heart->Satanic/Skadi -> etc.
If you really need even more damage get daedalus, if you need evasion pierce get MKB, and so on. I find the above said build to be a very well mix of damage, survivability and continued farming. If you play it properly and have a somewhat decent team, a well bought 20-23 minute manta then followed by the said luxuries you'll definitely be carrying that game. Even if you turtle it out, as long as you aren't a complete large item behind your enemy carry, you'd still have a pretty good chance.

P.S Not naix though, no chance against naix unless you're really really fat.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
Mimesis

Max waveform and morph early.
If being ganked, morph to strength while you escape for uber survivability.
As for itembuilds:
boots -> bottle -> phase -> EB
treads -> linkens -> EB
are both good builds for mid or easy lane respectively.
Aquila is a good stopgap item early on and skadi/satanic/butterfly are all good luxuries.

EB is amazing on morphling and should generally be aimed for as an item. Blast/Adaptive Strike/Waveform is a combo that does insane damage and generally allows you take down supports in less than a second.
Last edited by Mimesis; 03-03-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
SugaSutA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimesis View Post
Max waveform and morph early.
If being ganked, morph to strength while you escape for uber survivability.
As for itembuilds:
boots -> bottle -> phase -> EB
treads -> linkens -> EB
are both good builds for mid or easy lane respectively.
Aquila is a good stopgap item early on and skadi/satanic/butterfly are all good luxuries.

EB is amazing on morphling and should generally be aimed for as an item. Blast/Adaptive Strike/Waveform is a combo that does insane damage and generally allows you take down supports in less than a second.
yet its a completely useless carry item, and butterfly lets you take most support down in seconds too.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
Lama051

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaSutA View Post
yet its a completely useless carry item, and butterfly lets you take most support down in seconds too.
Actually if you go for Manta on Morph then it is actually very good since illusions get +40 damage which is by far the best. If you do not get Manta then it is not as good.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
WorstInFinLand

Splitpush with a replicate on another lane/fountain/jungle and always carry a tp.
Early items like soulring, trangs, treads, aquila and perse are good, you basically want mp and hp regen with some agi/str.
Midgame stuff like yasha, manta, eblade and linken's.
Lategame items.
Skadi, satanic, butterfly, manta, travels and eblade
As long as you don't always play the same champion you should be fine.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
Wuzu

Since u can morph ur stats its all about side effects of items: Dodge from Butter, Illusions from manta, EB active, Linkens block...

The usual RoH for lane, Power treads and then either EB or manta works. I dont personally like linkens first unless you play against certain line ups.
Skadi and/or Satanic as luxury are good too. I get Domi in mid-game to compete with other carries better.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
WorstInFinLand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzu View Post
Since u can morph ur stats its all about side effects of items: Dodge from Butter, Illusions from manta, EB active, Linkens block...
No, they give different amounts of stats and you can have more max agi with bfly than with heart and more max str viceversa.
As long as you don't always play the same champion you should be fine.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Mimesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaSutA View Post
EB costs less, provides more agility than butterfly, gives bonus str and int too, has an active that scales with morphling's agility.

A useless carry item it is not. There's a reason it gradually became core on morph in the same way that battlefury gradually became core on anti-mage.

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzu View Post
Since u can morph ur stats its all about side effects of items
You can't morph the bonus stats that items give lol
Old 03-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
Raisen223
Banned

On the "carry hierarchy", where does Morphling stand in terms of power? Can he stand up to some of the top carries of today like Luna and Naix?
Last edited by Raisen223; 03-04-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #19
Donaghy

Morph is pretty great, his early game got hit hard but he's still a favorite hero of mine. I like to go Tranq, Aquila and Yasha for my first items, after that it's really up to you. I usually level adaptive only once early and then get stats, as he doesn't have the mana pool to support casting all of his spells.

With replicate, I like to replicate a ranged support and just have my illusion follow the ally around while I farm. Allows you to instantly get into the fight if it breaks out. I find that a good morph is really defined by his use of the ultimate. It's incredibly dynamic and offers a lot of chances for unique and fun play.

I think he's pretty strong, but doesn't exactly fit the meta. He doesn't have "key" items that really allow him to come online suddenly, but gets extremely strong the more items he gets.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #20
Raisen223
Banned

So, I build Linkens, Skadi, BoT, eblade and SnY all in one hero? I know that this is possible in organised games, but how am I supposed to get that kind of money in pubs?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #21
Lama051

Like that for example . Yes it is pre nerf but it should give you a hint.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #22
300thecat
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisen223 View Post
So, I build Linkens, Skadi, BoT, eblade and SnY all in one hero? I know that this is possible in organised games, but how am I supposed to get that kind of money in pubs?
You don't need the SnY.

If you get uncontested farm in lane and do extremely well, go for a BoT instead of a Midas (as people usually do if they do really well). Your farm and presence will improve dramatically. Either that, or a quick Eblade.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
Raisen223
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300thecat View Post
You don't need the SnY.

If you get uncontested farm in lane and do extremely well, go for a BoT instead of a Midas (as people usually do if they do really well). Your farm and presence will improve dramatically. Either that, or a quick Eblade.
I did the eblade rush on my smurf account, and yes, it deals considerable damage, but it doesn't deal anywhere near the crazy amount of damage that people say it does. Am I doing something wrong? I morph most of my points into agi, I use eblade on enemy and then use my shotgun, but my enemy still runs away with half HP. I must be doing something terribly wrong, so I'd like to ask, what is it that I'm doing wrong?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #24
Lama051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisen223 View Post
I did the eblade rush on my smurf account, and yes, it deals considerable damage, but it doesn't deal anywhere near the crazy amount of damage that people say it does. Am I doing something wrong? I morph most of my points into agi, I use eblade on enemy and then use my shotgun, but my enemy still runs away with half HP. I must be doing something terribly wrong, so I'd like to ask, what is it that I'm doing wrong?
You
A) Are not using it on supports to instasnipe them
B) You got Eblade too late so it is not effective anymore
C) You do not have everything in Agi.
D) You do not have level 4 adaptive strike.
  Defense of the Ancients Game Strategy