Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
centaminatOr

Default The History Of Dota

I am curious about Dota History from beginning and become to be the Most Popular Game in the world.

Can anybody or Dota Staffs can help me about Dota History (Who and when they made Dota, What Heroes in the first patch, In what patches New Heroes was introduced, what Big Tournaments for Dota, What Clans is the best in specific time/era etc ? Thanks a lot..
Old 01-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Shatterman
Banned

Default Re: The History Of Dota

most popular game in the world?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Crumb_Catcher

I can't help u much, but as far as I am concerned, first person to take dota seriously and unite all dota maps was Eul. Magina, the antimage was once named Eul, the mage slayer. Then Guinsoo took hold of the nerf stick, then IceFrog. Eul's scepter of divinity ,,reminds us of an archaic age'' - it was time when there were many dota versions. Guinsoo Scythe of Vyse is named after second nerfstick wielder. You can download almost all dota maps easily, either from this forum or Home - Information, Replays, Heroes - Dota Allstars, old official dota web site.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
centaminatOr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blut View Post
most popular game in the world?
Not so sure about that, maybe WOW or something is more popular. I am not too active in gaming since WC3 melee slowly dying..

So, Do You know about Dota History or not ?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Fadoramix

That's a long history you know ;oo. Too make it short

EUL>GUINSOO>ICEFROG

End

And what do you mean be the most popular game in the world?=p
Last edited by Fadoramix; 01-06-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
Deva

The first one to developed DotA on RoC Platform was Eul , inspired by Aeon of Strife . When TFT was realeased ,Meian took inspiration from Eul'work and made a tft version of dota , when he left Guinsoo inherited his work , around 5.x Guinsoo left and there came neichus ,then he left and since then IF has been the developer of DotA . There are some very old dota maps on RoC , somewhere on Mediafire, Epicwar or filefactory , the oldest version available on epic war is 3.12 on RoC iirc .

If once given life we must die.....
Last edited by Deva; 01-06-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
wapakerz

I don't know if this is official, but it says that it is DotA version 1.0.

Ladder heroes and most original ladder items, map by Eul's.

I'm currently still using wc3 1.20e, try using version switcher if you can't play with 1.24.

Other notable changes I had from 6.27 till 6.64, I haven't played 6.65 yet.

Once aegis was an item that can be bought, with DR you are already the winner.

Denying creeps totally denies experience. It is possible that you are level 10 and your enemy is still level 1.

Blink dagger doesn't have the 3 sec restriction.

Power threads doesn't have stats for str/agi/int before.

Eul's upgrade into Guinsoo before, and are tributes to the first map developers

Roshan doesn't level up. It is very strong that only few heroes can defeat him 1 on 1.

Alchemist's stat gains are just as good as other heroes, but now he has one of the lowest.

Tp scrolls cause the structure being teleported at invulnerable.

That's all I can remember for now.

Here is the map I'm telling:
DotA Allstars v.1.0.zip

I hope that helped.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #8
ph34rpet3

there used to be ALOT of maps like dota and then euls created the allstars version where he had all the heros from all the maps together in one map that was like i dont know 10 years ago?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
uchin4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaminatOr View Post
Not so sure about that, maybe WOW or something is more popular. I am not too active in gaming since WC3 melee slowly dying..

So, Do You know about Dota History or not ?
No, WoW is not that famous in my region. Imo WoW is not very popular in asia. When dota is... You know... Maybe CS is more famous?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
DoomSlayers

DotA never was and never will be the most popular game in the world. I only played DotA 3.6 from in RoC.

Before you post, remember this...
-The opinion of the majority doesn't represent a fact (it represents an opinion).
-You do not represent the majority.
-em is part of DotA. Denying it is the same as living in denial.
-Whining is part of the human nature.
-Adding insults in your text doesn't make you look cool, it makes you look stupid.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #11
SpiralAvenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph34rpet3 View Post
there used to be ALOT of maps like dota and then euls created the allstars version where he had all the heros from all the maps together in one map that was like i dont know 10 years ago?
wtf? dotas been around for 10 years??? how come i only found out about it the middle of last year?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #12
Swiftkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph34rpet3 View Post
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos came out in 2002. Not quite 10 years, but pretty close.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #13
DoomSlayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralAvenger View Post
wtf? dotas been around for 10 years??? how come i only found out about it the middle of last year?
RoC came out in 2002. DotA probably appeared in 2003. Well, I started playing DotA in 2003-04. Good old times

I just saw Swiftkick's post, I guess you already got your answer.

Before you post, remember this...
-The opinion of the majority doesn't represent a fact (it represents an opinion).
-You do not represent the majority.
-em is part of DotA. Denying it is the same as living in denial.
-Whining is part of the human nature.
-Adding insults in your text doesn't make you look cool, it makes you look stupid.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #14
Yoyo Cream

When I started playing dota, we needed to make Eul to do Guinsoo ;D
And Riki had 2 ult, one was a ward like WD's one... So many things changed...
Old 01-08-2010, 07:01 AM   #15
centaminatOr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyo Cream View Post
I play that part too but very rarely..
I am a Starcraft and WC3 Melee players, when I play Dota quite often is when Alchemist introduced, I am not sure what patch it was.
Due to GameStats. WOW is the most played game around the world right now.
Because Blizzard to busy to develop WOW (that give them so much money) and neglect WC3 to be overrided by Dota which ironically using WC3 engine.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #16
Swiftkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyo Cream View Post
Didn't he used to be called Ryu Hayabusa or something? I know that his non-channeling Death Ward was freaking ridiculous. Seems like he and Bone were in every goddamn game. Bone Clinkz could back door so damn easily as well. You could build Aegis, and it had multiple charges. Now that's history.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #17
FaultLess

One of my classmate said that there is an old map of dota(forgot the version) where you can devour a hexed hero! IMBA! is that true?

signature made by Black.Lotus
Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #18
Shadowplay

Copying from an old post which gives the basic history of dota:

Quote:
Who is the real developer of dota and what is IceFrogs role? Get your answers here

Before Warcraft 3 there was Starcraft. In Starcraft there was a type of custom map called Aeon of Strife (AOS) which had opposing teams trying to help their team win an ongoing battle in 1-3 lanes depending on the map

When Warcraft 3 came out, these kinds of maps were also made here. Some people started using a design where one base would be in bottom left corner and the other would be in the top right corner and 3 lanes would connect the bases. This model was called Defence of the Ancients since it pitted the Ancients of the Night elf against the Scourge. What was special about the Warcraft 3 version was that instead of just units we now had heroes who could advance in levels, get new skills and even items.

Several versions were made of these (dota darkness falls and dota outland just to name a few) and one of the most successful was made by a guy who called himself Eul (along with other people like Syllable and so forth)

When the expansion, The Frozen Throne, came, a guy who called himself Guinsoo, appeared. He copied the game to the new expansion and copied all the most powerful heroes from all the old versions of dota into his new game - Dota Allstars. Needless to say it was horribly imbalanced and never worth competitive playing but it was fun none the less.

After some time, version 5.84b came out and Guinsoo disappeared. There was a long wait and in the meantime a russian guy cracked the map and released a 5.84c version to make up for the changed brought on by a Blizzard patch. Icefrog decided to take up where Guinsoo left off. He picked up the dota developing and with him came a new era where balance and professionalism was in the high seat and he made dota what it has become today - a thriving game with loads of competitive matches, giant leagues and an utterly amazing user base.
Many people regard Icefrog as the father of dota because they see it as if he took a rough sketch and made it actually playable and balanced; he may not be the original dev but he is the best dev in dota history

Disclaimer: for the sake of the TL;DR people I only included the most central stuff - there is a lot of stuff which has been simplified or left out for the sake of the readability. Also, didn't proofread since im tired and need sleep bad

- Shadowplay
edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaultLess View Post
One of my classmate said that there is an old map of dota(forgot the version) where you can devour a hexed hero! IMBA! is that true?
Your class mate is an idiot. It is Tides of Blood and yes there is a hero which can eat other heroes. It has nothing to do with dota
Last edited by Shadowplay; 01-08-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #19
casczxc

super Mario is the most popular game in the world
Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #20
Jakino
Banned

I remmember times on battle net reign of chaos, shit load of versions of dota, dota classic, danites hell, dont remmeber more. Dota was not more popular then Hero wars, tower defence and stuff :P
Old 01-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #21
Manta

DotA now exceeds WoW a bit. At least that's what Google Trends tells me.
Google Trends: World of Warcraft, dota

Also yeah iirc Eul --> Guinsoo --> IceFrog.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #22
centaminatOr

So folks what Clans dominating Dota at High Lvl Competition when Dota already Popular and recent patches. What the famous Players in Dota History ?
Old 01-09-2010, 04:18 AM   #23
findus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta View Post
DotA now exceeds WoW a bit. At least that's what Google Trends tells me.
Google Trends: World of Warcraft, dota

Also yeah iirc Eul --> Guinsoo --> IceFrog.
Interesting data, but perhaps a bit of a leap the compare popularity by web searches.

Anyone got any solid data on the popularity of DotA compared to other games? It may be more popular than people realise. Although it's not popular or barely even known in many many countries, it's IS extremely popular in China, which happens to be home to 1.3+ billion people (and a hell of a lot of big internet bars).
Last edited by findus; 01-09-2010 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #24
Madmortigan

Defense of the Ancients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Defense of the Ancients (DotA) is a custom scenario for the real-time strategy video game Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, based on the "Aeon of Strife" map for StarCraft. The objective of the scenario is for each team to destroy the opponents' Ancients, heavily guarded structures at opposing corners of the map. Players use powerful units known as heroes, and are assisted by allied heroes and AI-controlled fighters called "creeps". As in role-playing games, players level up their hero and use gold to buy equipment during the mission.[2]

The scenario was developed with the "World Editor" of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, and was updated upon the release of the expansion, The Frozen Throne. There have been many variations of the original concept; the most popular is DotA Allstars, which has been maintained by several authors during development. The current developer is known by his pseudonym as "IceFrog", and has been developing the game since 2005.

Since its release, Allstars has become a feature at several worldwide tournaments, including Blizzard Entertainment's BlizzCon and the Asian World Cyber Games, as well as the Cyberathlete Amateur and CyberEvolution leagues; Gamasutra declared that DotA was perhaps the most popular "free, non-supported game mod in the world".[3]

Warcraft III is the third title in the Warcraft series of real-time strategy games developed by Blizzard Entertainment. As with Warcraft II, Blizzard included a free "world editor" in the game that allows players to create custom scenarios or "maps" for the game, which can be played online with other players through Battle.net.[12] These custom scenarios can be simple terrain changes, which play like normal Warcraft games, or they can be entirely new game scenarios with custom objectives, units, items, and events, like Defense of the Ancients.[12]

The first version of Defense of the Ancients was released in 2003 by a mapmaker under the alias Eul,[13] who based the map on a previous StarCraft scenario known as "Aeon of Strife",[11] After the release of Warcraft's expansion The Frozen Throne, which added new features to the World Editor, Eul did not update the scenario.[14] Other mapmakers produced spinoffs that added new heroes, items, and features.[13]

Among the DotA variants created in the wake of Eul's map included Allstars, developed by modder Steve Feak (under the alias Guinsoo); this version would become the most popular version of the map.[15] Feak said when he began developing Allstars he had no idea how popular the game would eventually become; the emerging success of the gametype inspired him to design a new title around what he considered an emerging game genre.[16] Feak added a recipe system for items so that player's equipment would scale as they grew more powerful, as well as a powerful boss character called Roshan (named after his bowling ball) who required an entire team to defeat.[13]

Feak used a battle.net chat channel as a place for DotA players to congregate,[13] but DotA Allstars had no official site for discussions and hosting. The leaders of the DotA Allstars clan, TDA, proposed that a dedicated web site be created to replace the various online alternatives that were infrequently updated or improperly maintained. TDA member Steve "Pendragon" Mescon created the former official community site, dota-allstars.com, on October 14, 2004.[17]

Towards the end of his association with the map, Feak primarily worked on optimizing the map before handing over control to another developer after version 6.01. The new author, IceFrog, added new features, heroes, and fixes. Each release is accompanied with a changelog.[18] IceFrog is notoriously reclusive, refusing to give interviews; the only evidence of IceFrog's authorship was the map maker's email account on the official website and the name branded on the game's loading screen.[3] Icefrog now interacts with players through a personal blog where he answers common questions players have about him and about the game.[19] He has also posted information about upcoming map releases, including previews of new heroes and items.[20] In October 2009, Icefrog was hired by Valve Corporation, leading a team in a project that he has described as "great news for DotA fans".[21]

Defense of the Ancients is maintained via official forums. Users can post ideas for new heroes or items, some of which are added to the map. Players have contributed icons and hero descriptions and created the artwork displayed while the map loads, and suggestions for changes to existing heroes or items are taken seriously; IceFrog once changed a new hero less than two weeks after the new version of the map was released.[3] Versions of the scenario where enemy heroes are controlled by artificial intelligences have also been released. Mescon continues to maintain dota-allstars.com, which as of April 2009 has 1.5 million registered members and receives more than a million unique visitors each month. New team members have been added to roll out visual and system improvements to the site.[17] IceFrog announced due to conflict of interest that he would be boycotting dota-allstars.com and starting his own web site, playdota.com, while continuing game development.[22]

Because Warcraft III custom games have none of the features designed to improve game quality (matchmaking players based on connection speed, etc.), various programs are used to maintain Defense of the Ancients. External tools ping player's locations, and games can be named to exclude geographic regions.[3] Clans and committees such as TDA maintain their own official list of rules and regulations, and players can be kicked from matches by being placed on "banlists".[3]
Old 01-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #25
centaminatOr

The Reply from MadMortigan answer My Dota History question, thanks Bro..

So People how about Clans that dominating the Dota Tournament.. thanks before..
  Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat