Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
IAmTheSpoon
Member
 
IAmTheSpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bydgoszcz, Poland
Posts: 1,113
IAmTheSpoon is offline

Default Slark Item Build Discussion


I discussed with my friend about an item build for Slark.

After discussing it with the forum, we got to a some sort of item tree.

Early:
Branches+QB+tango's/clarities/salves
Later, Wand or/and PMS

Considering he's often in the middle of combat and often targetted by various spells, a Wand is useful. A PMS on the other hand solves early ranged harassment issues.

Core:
Treads
MoM OR Vitality Booster OR Point Booster OR 3 Wraith Bands/Bracers
BKB OR/AND Armlet
Diffusal Blade(if you haven't taken MoM) OR SnY(if you haven't taken MoM)

Explanation
Neither Armlet nor BKB is worth rushing. No armlet simply because you can't take the degen yet and not BKB because you got other needs by then, specifically improving your HP/ganking capabilities. That is why it is taken second - BKB either with or without Armlet.
A Vitality Booster/Point Booster is later evolved into a HoT/Skadi. Cheap raw HP/Mana.
MoM wins over HotD due to the fact that he's a ganker and requires the MS/IAS.
Still, there is Skadi which is great if it wasn't for the cost. SnY is a cheaper alternative.
The Diffusal Blade is a situational item if you got enough survivability and if there are some annoying purgables to take care of. If you take that, the natural late-game continue is Manta.
An Armlet-> BKB or BKB -> Armlet is a must after an early item(s) in competetive terms.

Late game:
Manta Style - Only if you have taken Diffusal Blade and Armlet
Eye of Skadi - If you have taken Point Booster and haven't taken any other orb
Vladimir's Offering - Only if you have taken Eye of Skadi or SnY
In all other cases Heart of Tarrasque - especially if you have taken Vitality Booster
Buriza-do-Kyanon is a follow-up to Heart of Tarrasque, if you have any space left.


Pretty complicated by far BUT we got rid of other options, so all we need now is to order it nicely. Feel free to comment on it and change the order or cross out something. With a good explanation, of course.

So there is a few questions:
PMS vs Wand - Should you take one of them or both of them?
MoM vs Vitality/Point Booster vs 3 Wraith Bands/Bracers - Which of those you think win between these?
MoM vs Diffusal Blade vs SnY - If you had to cross out one of these out of options, which ones would those be and why?

Comment and try to narrow up the options if possible.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Last edited by IAmTheSpoon; 01-27-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Kris
Member
 
Kris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA, CT/MA
Posts: 14,370
Blog Entries: 8
Kris is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Slark is a trash hero that can only really shine in pubs where true sight is seldom bought and chain disables/nukes are unheard of.

Str Treads
PMS
Armlet
-game state

(if you are playing a melee agi that is not named geo and you don't get pms you are probably doing something wrong...)
__________________

SatireTrolling: the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
doomsheep
Member
 
doomsheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,587
Blog Entries: 2
doomsheep is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

PT, Bracers
Hotd
AC
Sata
Basher

bkb at some point if needed.
__________________
No. In the time it took you to say that sentence, I evaluated this over three hundred times. And I can tell you that we're way past 'unwise' and all the way into 'stupid'.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
ven_veng
Member
 
ven_veng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 118
ven_veng is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

I rush MoM on him early game. Makes ES more effective then farm Basher. As of his little hp I beg to defer coz he needed that extra life steal to further stay on the clash. I have been playing him and his fast hp regen doesn't come in handy once the other side FF on you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
IAmTheSpoon
Member
 
IAmTheSpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bydgoszcz, Poland
Posts: 1,113
IAmTheSpoon is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Thanks for the EXPLANATIONS and for READING what I WROTE about EXPLAINING your ITEM BUILD.

Quote:
I rush MoM on him early game. Makes ES more effective then farm Basher. As of his little hp I beg to defer coz he needed that extra life steal to further stay on the clash. I have been playing him and his fast hp regen doesn't come in handy once the other side FF on you.
MoM makes you die like trash unless you got BKB, no offense. HotD on the other hand grants you no IAS to support it.

Quote:
Slark is a trash hero that can only really shine in pubs where true sight is seldom bought and chain disables/nukes are unheard of.
To be honest, 5.5 seconds is something so short that makes people reluctant to use true sight against him. The moment people get a gem he does no longer need his ultimate to initiate. As for chain disable/nuke - that ruins everyone, not only Slark.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Last edited by IAmTheSpoon; 01-26-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Kris
Member
 
Kris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA, CT/MA
Posts: 14,370
Blog Entries: 8
Kris is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTheSpoon View Post
Thanks for the [SIZE="7"]
To be honest, 5.5 seconds is something so short that makes people reluctant to use true sight against him. The moment people get a gem he does no longer need his ultimate to initiate. As for chain disable/nuke - that ruins everyone, not only Slark.
There are these things called bluewards, they kill 800 HP melee agi's that rely on invis to survive. Other heroes have skills that grant more than joke HP regen and MS bonus to protect them.
__________________

SatireTrolling: the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
IAmTheSpoon
Member
 
IAmTheSpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bydgoszcz, Poland
Posts: 1,113
IAmTheSpoon is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
There are these things called bluewards, they kill 800 HP melee agi's that rely on invis to survive. Other heroes have skills that grant more than joke HP regen and MS bonus to protect them.
He does not rely on Invis to survive He needs it to gank, and ONLY early-game, which he doesn't have to do for the sake of jungling, for example. He relies on not being seen or being sufficiently far away to survive. That's a difference and that renders the investment of mass wards more or less useless.

Still, stay on topic, please
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
Lanther
Member
 
Lanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,387
Lanther is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTheSpoon View Post

MoM makes you die like trash unless you got BKB, no offense. HotD on the other hand grants you no IAS to support it.
Why people always think that MoM means that you must activate it when you are being disabled to death or when you are in a team clash with lots of AoE?

MoM isn't taken because of its orb effect.It is taken because it's the cheapest way of getting IAS and MS.MoM price is 1900 while Hyperstone is 2100.MoM gives 100 IAS and 20% MS while Hyperstone gives 55 IAS.

You use MoM to gank,chase and escape.Yeah,escape,you use it when opposite team has already cast disable and you flee,because you get superior MS to them,and after they're no longer seeing you,Shadow Dance passive is activated and you get 522 MS and regen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
IAmTheSpoon
Member
 
IAmTheSpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bydgoszcz, Poland
Posts: 1,113
IAmTheSpoon is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanther View Post
Why people always think that MoM means that you must activate it when you are being disabled to death or when you are in a team clash with lots of AoE?

MoM isn't taken because of its orb effect.It is taken because it's the cheapest way of getting IAS and MS.MoM price is 1900 while Hyperstone is 2100.MoM gives 100 IAS and 20% MS while Hyperstone gives 55 IAS.

You use MoM to gank,chase and escape.Yeah,escape,you use it when opposite team has already cast disable and you flee,because you get superior MS to them,and after they're no longer seeing you,Shadow Dance passive is activated and you get 522 MS and regen.
Then I guess BKB and Basher would be the followups to MoM, in your opinion?
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
Snake
Member
 
Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 1,221
Snake is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Op, that build only works in pub, no Qb for him that's for sure Stats is the best for him, str power threads, a couple of bracers bkb, and then go for a luxury item, tp and magic wand.

This hero sucks imo(too low str, besides there are better invi carries than him xd, althought i like his passives skills very much)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Kris
Member
 
Kris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA, CT/MA
Posts: 14,370
Blog Entries: 8
Kris is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTheSpoon View Post
He does not rely on Invis to survive He needs it to gank, and ONLY early-game, which he doesn't have to do for the sake of jungling, for example. He relies on not being seen or being sufficiently far away to survive. That's a difference and that renders the investment of mass wards more or less useless.

Still, stay on topic, please
Last time i checked he just died to any team with lion/dagon on it due to his extreme fragility.

Perhaps you should get out of pubs and play with him against competent players who will not allow you to simply auto them to death as they sit at the edge of pounce aoe.


Given that your over 10k item builds are rather silly it seems to be a good place to start testing.
__________________

SatireTrolling: the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.


  Reply With Quote
Last edited by Kris; 01-26-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
doomsheep
Member
 
doomsheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,587
Blog Entries: 2
doomsheep is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

HotD gives okay stats and makes woodsing a lot easier. since its used in the most awesome item on slark and there are no other low-tier items that are good on slark i like to build it. given NC's playstyle lifesteal is a semi-okay orb on him even before satanic.

assault i go for because i don't like butter and battlefury is crap. its cheaper, has better build up and helps your team. negative armor is also pretty awesome.

basher is for bashing, lawl. at the point i'll steal a lot of stats and make good use of it.
__________________
No. In the time it took you to say that sentence, I evaluated this over three hundred times. And I can tell you that we're way past 'unwise' and all the way into 'stupid'.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #13
IAmTheSpoon
Member
 
IAmTheSpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bydgoszcz, Poland
Posts: 1,113
IAmTheSpoon is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsheep View Post
HotD gives okay stats and makes woodsing a lot easier. since its used in the most awesome item on slark and there are no other low-tier items that are good on slark i like to build it. given NC's playstyle lifesteal is a semi-okay orb on him even before satanic.

assault i go for because i don't like butter and battlefury is crap. its cheaper, has better build up and helps your team. negative armor is also pretty awesome.

basher is for bashing, lawl. at the point i'll steal a lot of stats and make good use of it.
HoT> Assault. For survivability purposes.
HotD may give better wooding but not better ganking, I'm afraid. An armlet increases your damage and attack speed while a diffusal grants you agility mana burn and purge and so on. Unless you get Armlet and THEN HotD, it may work, but i am still to figure that one out. Judging on the total cost, it takes a few swings and creep kills to get it going. Maybe too many.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Op, that build only works in pub, no Qb for him that's for sure Stats is the best for him, str power threads, a couple of bracers bkb, and then go for a luxury item, tp and magic wand.

This hero sucks imo(too low str, besides there are better invi carries than him xd, althought i like his passives skills very much)
Which build?
QB doesn't cost a lot and you can still get a few branches for early stats. Armlet > Couple of bracers, imo.
I don't feel the need for magic wand - he's not THAT mana dependent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Last time i checked he just died to any team with lion/dagon on it

Perhaps you should get out of pubs and play with him against competent players


Given that your over 10k item builds are rather silly it seems to be a good place to start
You are free to suggest something better What would you get after your Armlet, depending on the game state?
As of the current state I agree he's squishy to larger nukes but I think Ice will fix it soon.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Last edited by IAmTheSpoon; 01-26-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
joebh
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 970
joebh is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

slark's main problem is that he dies in like 1(or 2) nukes. anyway with that major con aside, i build mass hp on him so i can last longer than 2 seconds or a nuke longer.

satanic or SnY is best orb for him IMO because of the extra hp and tanking it gives.

the longer you stay alive in battle = more stats leeching = enemies in a clash will have to focus on you for a few seconds longer to kill you giving your allies time to take advantage of the situation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #15
Nored
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 61
Nored is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Why Manta?

Use it before stealing a good amount of stats, it sucks due to your low innate stat gain.

Use it after, what's the point? Enemies should be dead already anyway.

Besides that, in any competent game, you're gonna need a Linkens/BKB. If you firstpick Slark like all the other pubbies, you're gonna DEFINITELY need to get a BKB-of course, this operates under the assumption that the enemies AREN'T complete noobs.

I do agree with joe. Although I personally think SnY is outclassed by every other orb, it gives Slark what he needs-more attack speed to start off his stat steal as well as the HP to survive long enough to make use of the stats.

Slark does well with a Hood. He needs the magic resistance to survive the chain nukes that are so often used to counter him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #16
FruitLord
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 742
FruitLord is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

You say that chain disable kills any hero. The difference between Slark and other heroes is you don't actually need to chain disables. One disable is often enough to kill him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #17
Kris
Member
 
Kris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA, CT/MA
Posts: 14,370
Blog Entries: 8
Kris is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

After armlet on slark i would have to base my choice on the heroes in game.

If there was a large amount of burst damage and disable i would opt for BKB since slarks DPS is rather independent of his items as long as he can continue to hit his target(s)

If there were a low amount of said abilities i would opt for some cheep HP (vita booster) and AC to better improve survivability against physical DPS and improve my own in fight damage.

Manta looks like it would be a good choice however it sends mixed messages. On one hand you want to break it right when you pounce for the burst damage. If you do so then you lose out on the bonus stats to your images and they will likely die very fast. Alternatively you can break manta after a long fight however the images are only useful for taking a tower at that point since the stats will be gone by the next fight in most cases.

Diffusal is diffidently a possible item on him however he lacks a spell like smoke screen to really make it core in all games. It is a viable item as a counter as it doesn't hurt his core that much. (he would be far stronger with the old manta since it had the diffusal build up and +350 HP to fix all of his problems)
__________________

SatireTrolling: the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
Lanther
Member
 
Lanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,387
Lanther is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTheSpoon
Then I guess BKB and Basher would be the followups to MoM, in your opinion?
I would get HoT in most of cases.If many of the opponent spells are blocked by BKB,then I would get it.If the game last enough to buy Basher,then I would buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nored
Slark does well with a Hood. He needs the magic resistance to survive the chain nukes that are so often used to counter him.
Not so good.Hood is expensive and with its price you could buy vitality booster,cloak and save some gold.The regen part of defiance is almost useless on him and the extra magic reduction isn't helping if you don't have pure HP.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #19
IAmTheSpoon
Member
 
IAmTheSpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bydgoszcz, Poland
Posts: 1,113
IAmTheSpoon is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanther View Post
I would get HoT in most of cases.If many of the opponent spells are blocked by BKB,then I would get it.If the game last enough to buy Basher,then I would buy it.
HoT right after Treads PMS and MoM? A bit crazy in terms of money, I say.
Tell me what do you think of MoM comparing to HotD->Satanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebh View Post
slark's main problem is that he dies in like 1(or 2) nukes. anyway with that major con aside, i build mass hp on him so i can last longer than 2 seconds or a nuke longer.

satanic or SnY is best orb for him IMO because of the extra hp and tanking it gives.

the longer you stay alive in battle = more stats leeching = enemies in a clash will have to focus on you for a few seconds longer to kill you giving your allies time to take advantage of the situation.
16 strength is not worth spending so much money for and the maim is average.
A basher would be better and is cheaper for pinning down enemies.
The question is, whether HotD-> Satanic or MoM is a better SURVIVABILITY investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
After armlet on slark i would have to base my choice on the heroes in game.

If there was a large amount of burst damage and disable i would opt for BKB since slarks DPS is rather independent of his items as long as he can continue to hit his target(s)

If there were a low amount of said abilities i would opt for some cheep HP (vita booster) and AC to better improve survivability against physical DPS and improve my own in fight damage.

Manta looks like it would be a good choice however it sends mixed messages. On one hand you want to break it right when you pounce for the burst damage. If you do so then you lose out on the bonus stats to your images and they will likely die very fast. Alternatively you can break manta after a long fight however the images are only useful for taking a tower at that point since the stats will be gone by the next fight in most cases.

Diffusal is diffidently a possible item on him however he lacks a spell like smoke screen to really make it core in all games. It is a viable item as a counter as it doesn't hurt his core that much. (he would be far stronger with the old manta since it had the diffusal build up and +350 HP to fix all of his problems)
Diffusal + Manta combo works because because of Pounce or/and ult you always get a few hits in, allowing your images to have more agility = more attack speed = more mana break = More damage.
I believe that Manta is good for both burst damage and for "charging" the manta.
The problem of this build however is that your HP will be a bit crappy until you get your ultimate orb - which might take a while. So It seems it's a build better left for jungling.

Otherwise one should focus purely on HP. An assault cuirass is not worth it as you got enough armor from stolen agility, imo.

Then, modifying the above, how about these 2:

Build 1
Armlet->Diffusal->Manta Style

Build 2
HotD/MoM->Armlet or/and BKB(order depends on farm and opposition)->(Optional basher)->Satanic/HoT

Judge on those.
Now, HotD->Satanic or MoM?
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Last edited by IAmTheSpoon; 01-26-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #20
joebh
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 970
joebh is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

well i honestly dont see the point in mass stacking agility and IAS items. slark has one of the best dps enhancing passive, which is basically all he needs dps-wise.

vanguard should be core IMO, along with magic wand and armlet. for situational id leave disffusial and bkb / hood. and extension would either be hotd -> satanic(more tankish), SnY(more tankish), or if youre feeling lucky go for MoM.

also dont undestimate +16 STR on a hero with the most pathetic str growth in the game, even ench laughs at that.

and again isnt the whole point of slark to try to survive and leech as many stats as you can?(and yes i know its virtually impossible to survive with slark in a clash most of the time)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #21
Lanther
Member
 
Lanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,387
Lanther is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTheSpoon
HoT right after Treads PMS and MoM? A bit crazy in terms of money, I say.
Tell me what do you think of MoM comparing to HotD->Satanic.
My core with him: Boots>Wand>Treads>MoM.I don't use PMS.
So,my core build costs 3859 gold + some clarities to regen mana and TPs.Very cheap.

MoM compared to HotD: I'm not a fan of HotD,I think that Slark doesn't have any good creep to dominate.The +20 damage and +5 armor is crap when we compare to Berserk.

MoM compared to Satanic: There is a huge price difference.We have to remember that with Satanic Murloc goes to carrying role,and with MoM he goes to ganking role.I prefer using him as a ganker.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #22
TheAmerican
Member
 
TheAmerican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,104
TheAmerican is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

I have been using PMS > 2-3 Bracers > Streads > Armlet > BKB

On another note, Kuroky says he liked 4 Wraiths/Treads/BKB
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #23
Zephirdd
Member
 
Zephirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,304
Guide Writing Award 
Zephirdd is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Core: PMS + Vit Booster + Treads + Diffusal (+Magic Wand/Urn) = GG.

Cheap, effective. Even though armlet sounds awesome on him, you take it to cover his weakness(life), where with PMS and VB you already cover it. I choose PMS+VB over vanguard because RoH is worthless. PMS+VB = harassing and health problems solved.
Diffusal for the insane mana draining(Essence+Diffusal) and the insane damage.

Luxury: Yasha>Manta, Tarrasque, Butterfly
Upgrade the VB, Have Yasha>Manta for the epic damage from illusions even if the MS is wasted, and then take Butterfly for the epic carriability.

Final: Treads, Manta, HoT, Butterfly, Diffusal, TP scroll

Could change TP scroll for some situational like BKB, MKB, Gem or even Aegis. He does not need it really thanks to insane ms.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCX View Post
Retards make up 90% of the community. If you are not smart enough to avoid them, it makes you one of them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #24
kleuhu
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 305
kleuhu is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

I've been very successful with Slark with this build (not in that order):

- Treads
good hps, good IAS

- PMS
the early Stout really helps geting last hits in without losing too much hps from ranged harassment

- Wand
One good cast can allow you to use all your spells, life saver too

- Cloak or Wraith Band

are my starting gear.

Then:

- Diffusal Blade:
just an excellent orb for agi, good IAS, good damage, excellent ganking tool with Purge (and Slark is before anything a great ganker), and can dispell some lethal debuffs not removed by Dark Pact (especially Amp Damage). In late game you can also use it to 1-shot Necro Warriors with True Sight.

- BKB:
just necessary versus any lineup. Without BKB the enemy can simply destroy you with Blademail.

After this, man luxuries are possible according to what you need (Butter, HoT are pretty good choices, Manta is good for pushing), but most games don't even go this far.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:35 AM   #25
cc.jmk!
Member
 
cc.jmk!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,389
Blog Entries: 3
cc.jmk! is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

I may not be the more pro player, but i usually leave fountain with Basilius+salve

then get RoH, boots, Mask of Death, and finish Str PT's. If i need to go to base before finishing boots, i usually get Vladi's done. after that, i get a Giant's Belt, and if farming and ganking is going on smoothly and fast, i get Basher, then S&Y for orb. If not, i usually buy a 2nd Belt or get Ogre Axe for a later Sange. If with 2 belts i'm fine with survivability, i usually suspend Sange and go for Basher 1st.

I also tryed the same start build, but ending with PT's, vladi, basher, diffu, manta and Shiva's. Slow debuff is simply the hell of a wonder for Slark! ^^
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:45 AM   #26
Are.You.Ready-
Member
 
Are.You.Ready-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 117
Are.You.Ready- is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

What about bloodstone? He needs survivability, but not regen. He doesnt need agi since as long he can attack he will steal it, and he needs mp and mp regen, so he never needs to go back to the fountain. If you get vanguard or HoT, regen is wasted.... Bloodstone provides everything he needs, I guess. Then you can go for IAS to steal stats faster.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:34 AM   #27
Lanther
Member
 
Lanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,387
Lanther is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Are.You.Ready
What about bloodstone? He needs survivability, but not regen. He doesnt need agi since as long he can attack he will steal it, and he needs mp and mp regen, so he never needs to go back to the fountain. If you get vanguard or HoT, regen is wasted.... Bloodstone provides everything he needs, I guess. Then you can go for IAS to steal stats faster.
Dark Pact has 40 mana cost when maxed.
Pounce has 75 mana cost.
Shadow Dance has 120 mana cost.

Use INT treads while you're not engaging.And use clarities to heal your mana.
Do you really need use 5k of gold when you can use 400 :O
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:48 AM   #28
uo111
Member
 
uo111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,682
Blog Entries: 1
uo111 is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

I thought about it a bit, and figured that slark needs several things. He needs hp, he needs a little bit of ias, he needs a little bit of mana, and he needs to be able to hit his opponents.

Taking all of this into consideration, I decided to try skadi on him, and the way that it worked was shockingly effective.

I started out with QB 2 branches and 3 sets of tangoes.

I got point booster, treads, and then rushed skadi.

The result was that I had the hp to survive the entire game, and after I built skadi I was able to kill anyone by themselves. After skadi I got a vlads, because he really does need lifesteal, and then a vanguard to help me tank better in team fights.

In the end I spent a max of 12476 gold total in the entire game, and I had no real need for anymore.

As for the items you recommend

Basher isn't effective with the cd, and it cost a lot for an unreliable and not even good stun.
Manta requires you to hit them before using it, which makes it not all that great. It can be useful, but only much later into the game.
Diffusal has the problem of no survivability, and relying only on purge to chase.
Mjoll isn't necessary, it uses an orb, it gives no survivability, and the ias is just over doing it on slark.

I wouldn't get these items.

Armlet is okay. It gives nice health and good damage and ias. But the health drain is hard to take on slark, until you can get other items, because he won't be able to withstand a nuke and use the damage effectively until he gets lifesteal and ias or bkb.
BkB is a good item on slark, but gotten early makes it much less useful. If the enemy had several disables waiting to be thrown at you, I would recommend it after your core, because bkb alone won't allow you to do much in team fights, because he will have no way of staying with his enemies for any longer then 3.5 seconds, which means he will mostly waste the length of the duration for the first few times he uses it, if he rushes it.

These items are good, but rushing them leaves much to be desired.


I would recommend skadi if you can get it, or sny if you can't get skadi(get ring of bas before sny if you go for sny). Then you need vlads for lifesteal, it is necessary. Afterward, if they have a lot of disables, get bkb. If you need to survive more in general, get vanguard. And if you just need more burst health, damage and ias, get armlet.

The reason is that all of these items give something that slark needs and they are effective at those things, especially on slark.
  Reply With Quote
Last edited by uo111; 01-27-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #29
jennaiel
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 141
jennaiel is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

My build is wand+str treads +skadi +butter(if late game) . Skadi boosts his low hp pool
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:19 AM   #30
leeoku
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 525
leeoku is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

wand+poormans+urn+str treads+tp is core.
You already agreed with str treads+poor man
Why wand? Wand is always invaluable to use those charges to pump up ur o so crap hp pool/mana.
Urn gives str, which he needs, and mana regen which is also needs after hardcore ganking. Since he doesnt really need the hp regen, the urn can be used to damage enemies to make sure they die.

Whats after? You are short on inventory space. What should u do next?
I would put 3 options. Armlet/diffusal/Vit booster.
Vit booster can replace ur poor mans since it pumps more hp to ur pool. The reduction is good and the +6 agility, but i think at this stage, more hp is important.
Armlet or diffusal for last slot? I guess thats up to personal preference.

By then game should be over, if not, focus on heart
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #31
IAmTheSpoon
Member
 
IAmTheSpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bydgoszcz, Poland
Posts: 1,113
IAmTheSpoon is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Mjollnir and basher is out due to their cooldowns making them rather inefficient for their cost. Vanguard is out due to the wasted money on the regen.

So this rounds up to something like:

Early:
Branches+QB+tango's/clarities/salves
Later, Wand or/and PMS

Core:
Treads
MoM OR Vitality Booster OR Point Booster OR 3 Wraith Bands/Bracers
BKB OR/AND Armlet
Diffusal Blade(if you haven't taken MoM) OR SnY(if you haven't taken MoM)

Explanation : Neither Armlet nor BKB is worth rushing. No armlet simply because you can't take the degen yet and not BKB because you got other needs by then, specifically improving your HP/ganking capabilities. That is why it is taken second - BKB either with or without Armlet. Most people recommend wand or/and PMS.
A Vitality Booster/Point Booster is later evolved into a HoT/Skadi. Cheap raw HP/Mana.
MoM wins over HotD due to the fact that he's a ganker and requires the MS/IAS.
Still, there is Skadi which is great if it wasn't for the cost. SnY is a cheaper alternative.
The Diffusal Blade is a situational item if you got enough survivability and if there are some annoying purgables to take care of. If you take that, the natural late-game continue is Manta.
An Armlet-> BKB or BKB -> Armlet is a must after an early item(s) in competetive terms.

Late game:
Manta Style - Only if you have taken Diffusal Blade and Armlet
Eye of Skadi - If you have taken Point Booster and haven't taken any other orb
Vladimir's Offering - Only if you have taken Eye of Skadi or SnY
In all other cases Heart of Tarrasque - especially if you have taken Vitality Booster
Buriza-do-Kyanon is a follow-up to Heart of Tarrasque, if you have any space left.


Pretty complicated by far BUT we got rid of other options, so all we need now is to order it nicely. Feel free to comment on it and change the order or cross out something. With a good explanation, of course.

So there is a few questions:
PMS vs Wand - Should you take one of them or both of them?
MoM vs Vitality/Point Booster vs 3 Wraith Bands/Bracers - Which of those you think win between these?
MoM vs Diffusal Blade vs SnY - If you had to cross out one of these out of options, which ones would those be and why?

Comment and discuss.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #32
IAmTheSpoon
Member
 
IAmTheSpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bydgoszcz, Poland
Posts: 1,113
IAmTheSpoon is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

During my play I got to a conclusion that SnY > MoM. They are both good items, but SnY is just better as it serves both as chasing tool tool(you have no idea how easy it was to catch up to mirana even after her leap) and provides the early strength he really needs. Skadi only beats that but he's not that strong to support it.
Also, I found having both PMS and wand very effective especially when ganked.
Vlad isn't necessary when you got SnY as Slark is a hit-and-run style hero, but it's useful when served on a teammate. Your ulti takes advantage of the added MS.
So all-in-all:
Treads
PMS - feel free to replace this with a bracer or two.
Wand
SnY or Skadi - the second one only if you can get sufficient farm
Armlet/BKB/Skip depending on who are you facing
Heart
Later replace:
PMS for Buriza
Wand for Assault Cuirass

Can anyone judge on this build ? Thanks.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Last edited by IAmTheSpoon; 01-27-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #33
kleuhu
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 305
kleuhu is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Seriously, don't get SnY.

For the same cost you could get Diffusal + Vit, or better, Diffusal + Ogre Axe (1/3 of the way to BKB), for more damage, reliable slow, super useful purge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #34
IAmTheSpoon
Member
 
IAmTheSpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bydgoszcz, Poland
Posts: 1,113
IAmTheSpoon is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleuhu View Post
Seriously, don't get SnY.

For the same cost you could get Diffusal + Vit, or better, Diffusal + Ogre Axe (1/3 of the way to BKB), for more damage, reliable slow, super useful purge.
The difference between Diffusal Blade + Vit/Ogre Axe and SnY is that you can't shrug off an entire enemy team off your back with a single Purge. SnY takes advantage of your ultimate, often allowing you to farm solo. Thanks to the 1800/1800 sight all you need to do is pounce away, run and you're VERY hard to gank. 522 ms does the rest. The all-round boost to stats, movements speed and maim is what makes it worth it. Plus the easy-buildup.
He IS a hit and runner. He does not need more damage than he already gains via Essence Shift and the agility he gains makes Maim a reliable slow. You already got Pounce, maim and a strong movement speed - you don't need more for extra squishyness.

The only occasion when you would want to use Diffusal Blade is when a) Your team has a pushing tactic(because of the followup Manta Style), in which case there are better carriers and HEROES for this and b) There are summons that need to be purged in which case you would take a hero which is better adapted to deal with such problems - e.g. Medusa.
Which solves the issue.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Last edited by IAmTheSpoon; 01-27-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #35
doomsheep
Member
 
doomsheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,587
Blog Entries: 2
doomsheep is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
During my play I got to a conclusion that SnY > MoM. They are both good items
sums up the thread.
__________________
No. In the time it took you to say that sentence, I evaluated this over three hundred times. And I can tell you that we're way past 'unwise' and all the way into 'stupid'.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #36
uo111
Member
 
uo111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,682
Blog Entries: 1
uo111 is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTheSpoon View Post
During my play I got to a conclusion that SnY > MoM. They are both good items, but SnY is just better as it serves both as chasing tool tool(you have no idea how easy it was to catch up to mirana even after her leap) and provides the early strength he really needs. Skadi only beats that but he's not that strong to support it.
Also, I found having both PMS and wand very effective especially when ganked.
Vlad isn't necessary when you got SnY as Slark is a hit-and-run style hero, but it's useful when served on a teammate. Your ulti takes advantage of the added MS.
So all-in-all:
Treads
PMS - feel free to replace this with a bracer or two.
Wand
SnY or Skadi - the second one only if you can get sufficient farm
Armlet/BKB/Skip depending on who are you facing
Heart
Later replace:
PMS for Buriza
Wand for Assault Cuirass

Can anyone judge on this build ? Thanks.
This is quite like my playstyle. But if you want to be able to carry at all, the lifesteal from vlads when mixed with the damage aura after you have 200 agi can't be ignored. I don't understand why people think that a hero who can easily get 200 agi doesn't make use of 16% lifesteal, and 15% bonus damage. You will be stealing about 50 life a hit, and that adds up to a lot with his attack speed and his low lifepool.

Also, Skadi is much better then sny. Truly. You should always aim for it unless you absolutely can't farm it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #37
Messianic
Member
 
Messianic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
Messianic is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Without a doubt I would be trying to acquire Eye of Skadi ASAP.

This helps in 2 ways:

Gives him his much needed stats, and slows the enemies so he can rob them of their stats. It is win-win.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #38
kleuhu
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 305
kleuhu is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTheSpoon View Post
The difference between Diffusal Blade + Vit/Ogre Axe and SnY is that you can't shrug off an entire enemy team off your back with a single Purge. SnY takes advantage of your ultimate, often allowing you to farm solo. Thanks to the 1800/1800 sight all you need to do is pounce away, run and you're VERY hard to gank. 522 ms does the rest. The all-round boost to stats, movements speed and maim is what makes it worth it. Plus the easy-buildup.
Huh?
Why the hell would you go solo farming with a ganking hero? And why the hell would you need more than Pounce/Shadow Dance/Dark Pact (to remove Dust) to flee a gank? (not mentionning that putting oneself in a position to be ganked by apparently "an entire team" is already quite bad practice)

Also if you're playing him as a ricefarming carry you're playing him terribly terribly wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Last edited by kleuhu; 01-27-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #39
817
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 452
817 is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

skadi on him is so fail..hes best is at early-mid mid game. if you're farming for a skadi instead of ganking go play SF or something instead.

he is best roaming starting from lvl 6. so pms treads some wraiths is good enough. then ez build up to a sny. maybe an urn somewhere in there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #40
IAmTheSpoon
Member
 
IAmTheSpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bydgoszcz, Poland
Posts: 1,113
IAmTheSpoon is offline
Default Re: Slark Item Build Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsheep View Post
sums up the thread.
Thanks.
You can find my guide in progress here :
http://www.playdota.com/forums/16172...glass-cannons/

CHeers.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply
  Defense of the Ancients Game Strategy


Forum Jump

Thread Tools