Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Parrothead

Default No Lag Screen?

I think this could be another great addition to DotA as the upcoming rejoining game method.

This new system (that I have linked below) creates a timer that can be seen by all players at the top of the screen without the annoying lag screen popping up, effectively allowing the game to continue without an interruption if a player were to lag.

There is an obvious side effect; players that lag can consistently die because of no waiting screen.

Although I think this could be an amazing thing to DotA's future, I do think it should ONLY be used when you type in a gamemode like -APNL (No Lagbox).

This feature requires implementation of a script into the map to work, GHost cannot do this alone.

OPINIONS?

Source
[Idea]Asynchronous Lag
Old 01-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
NetrunneR

Default Re: No Lag Screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
I think this could be another great addition to DotA as the upcoming rejoining game method.

This new system (that I have linked below) creates a timer that can be seen by all players at the top of the screen without the annoying lag screen popping up, effectively allowing the game to continue without an interruption if a player were to lag.

There is an obvious side effect; players that lag can consistently die because of no waiting screen.

Although I think this could be an amazing thing to DotA's future, I do think it should ONLY be used when you type in a gamemode like -APNL (No Lagbox).

This feature requires implementation of a script into the map to work, GHost cannot do this alone.

OPINIONS?

Source
[Idea]Asynchronous Lag
lol you mean you took a command that's already available in ghost to decrease lag screen sensitivity? forget about it. Before we even had a lag screen for the bot we tried various extremeties, and trust me it's not worth it. Not worth having players skip around and die.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
BiH-Kira

And you lag during a battle, the game is not paused and you die just because of this new "good" anti-lag system.

NO, THANKS!

Part of the 'Suggestions Review thread'. If you have a request for a review of your remake suggestion, please send a private message.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetrunneR View Post
lol you mean you took a command that's already available in ghost to decrease lag screen sensitivity?
There is no command in GHost to remove the lag screen and add a timer. This thread isn't even about decreasing the sensitivity, but about having an option to REMOVE IT. This script will create a timer showing how far behind a player is compared to other players.

Quote:
forget about it. Before we even had a lag screen for the bot we tried various extremeties
You're a team member of Blizzard and got to work on how the game deals with players lagging? Lag screens were around before bots btw.

Quote:
and trust me it's not worth it. Not worth having players skip around and die.
That's why you can toggle it. I will trust you all the way.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
Meur

=/ I suppose the fact that people won't be tempted to drop anymore is a plus? However, as said before, will lead to alot of unnecessary deaths, although, even with the lag screen, alot of people still die from lag.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
lolimgondar
Banned

the lag screen is why dota is not fun

in the middle of a big team fight

"HEY GUYS CHECK OUT MY SWEET WIRELESS DELL NOTEBOOK, EVERYONE STOP PLAYING THE GAME BECAUSE I HAVE WIRELESS INTERNET, LOOK AT ME I HAVE WIRELESS INTERNET!"

no thx.

hon is worth 30 bucks not to put up with that juvenile crap.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
NetrunneR

Quote:
There is no command in GHost to remove the lag screen and add a timer. This thread isn't even about decreasing the sensitivity, but about having an option to REMOVE IT. This script will create a timer showing how far behind a player is compared to other players.
-synclimit or something. set it to 20000, no more lag screen but players silently drop if they reach that limit, and the lag screen won't even think of popping up at any point.

Quote:
You're a team member of Blizzard and got to work on how the game deals with players lagging? Lag screens were around before bots btw.
yes lag screen were around before the bots, however the host of the game always decides when the screen should pop up. In the earlier days of the VB.net bots there WAS NO lag screen. We didn't know how to send commands to throw one, and if i'm not mistaken it wasn't until Varlock came along or Strilanc, that he worked out the code for the lag screen and what the heart beats meant.

Quote:
That's why you can toggle it. I will trust you all the way.
You don't know any history of the bots. I worked on the bots until they were converted to C++. Check the source for the original VB.net. It's littered with my work and comments. Good day scrub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolimgondar View Post
the lag screen is why dota is not fun

in the middle of a big team fight

"HEY GUYS CHECK OUT MY SWEET WIRELESS DELL NOTEBOOK, EVERYONE STOP PLAYING THE GAME BECAUSE I HAVE WIRELESS INTERNET, LOOK AT ME I HAVE WIRELESS INTERNET!"

no thx.

hon is worth 30 bucks not to put up with that juvenile crap.
I loled. soo true, but unless we want heroes skipping around we need the screen. That's why hopefully pinging before map load, weeds out most leavers. Try to think to the time before bots. Hands down that era was worse, even when host pinged to weed out laggers from brazil.

however to the end of time there will always be laggers due to wireless, and UNFORSEEN circumstances. Hence removing the lag screen is really foolish.

The only plus I could see is to instead of sending a lag screen send a obs pause command, but that's just fancy fluff.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #8

wireless are terrible for gaming (speaking from experience). Sometimes my connection is fine but I wil lag for no reason and get dropped.

Nothing is hard or easy, Only training makes all the difference.

WWE commentary said : In an Extreme rules match, weapons are not only allowed, they are encouraged!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
NetrunneR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1221 View Post
wireless are terrible for gaming (speaking from experience). Sometimes my connection is fine but I wil lag for no reason and get dropped.
wireless is unstable, can drop if other frequencies interrupt, hell a microwave interrupts wireless routers.. i think. Also wireless significantly increases latency, due to the router having to process the signal, re-ack for dropped missing packets and so on so forth.
Last edited by NetrunneR; 01-27-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:20 AM   #10
1337BIX
Banned

This is a great feature if it can be successfully implemented. One of my most hated things that WC3 has, the waiting for player screen.

If you lag, its your fault. YOUR FAULT. There is no reason why the other 9 players must suffer because 'your brother is downloading pron'.

If you ever played modern FPS games, lagging players will become unresponsive or jump around or whatnot. It doesnt break the game since not every game do we have somone who lags so much.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:58 AM   #11
5chneemensch

Steam: 5chneemensch

Why dont you just use "!drop" ?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:01 AM   #12
NetrunneR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337BIX View Post
This is a great feature if it can be successfully implemented. One of my most hated things that WC3 has, the waiting for player screen.

If you lag, its your fault. YOUR FAULT. There is no reason why the other 9 players must suffer because 'your brother is downloading pron'.

If you ever played modern FPS games, lagging players will become unresponsive or jump around or whatnot. It doesnt break the game since not every game do we have somone who lags so much.
so your saying, take a fair system, and make it less fair for your convenience. Got it