Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
fuctic12

Default Medusa Item Build

what would be the best item build for medusa???
Old 02-24-2010, 03:39 AM   #2
Wesley-

Default Re: Medus Item Build

BoT, Manta, Linkens, Divine Rapier, Skadi, Butterfly.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:55 AM   #3
supa_fly

Steam: supadota

I played her for the first time in a really long time yesterday and went a pretty simple build. Started off with Slippers of Agility x2, Ironwood Branch x2, Tangoes, Flask. Moved on to Perseverance -> Wariths & Magic Stick/Wand (TPs and needed consumables in the mix) -> Linkens -> BoTs and began building Skadi, game ended before I could finish it.

The point of Medusa though is to build as a tank and dps hero, which is why Linkens, Skadi, and Manta are good items. Mana is very necessary.

But like I said, first time playing her in awhile, so maybe someone should verify whether my build is good/bad. Still, worked out nicely for me.

Moved to Strategy.

5) #swag
Old 02-24-2010, 04:01 AM   #4
jake2222

inb4 ToG's Bfury Medusa.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:01 AM   #5
Shadow-Seeker

BoT, Linken's, Manta then depending on the game Hex, Skadi, Orchids, BFly.
Items with Mana work well, as she's a Tank/Dps.

Edit: Typo
Last edited by Shadow-Seeker; 02-24-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:06 AM   #6
bR0k3N

Wand -> Tread -> Linken's -> Manta -> Butterfly -> Buriza. have your teammate gank your lane whenever you can't farm it; lane hop with TP's as needed so that you're farming like a madman.

EDIT: If you're farming like a madman, might as well go BoT as everyone is suggesting... However, it does depend on the pace of the game, and Tread may put you farther ahead in the first half of the game.
Last edited by bR0k3N; 02-24-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #7
fodminah

Start with 2 Slippers, 2 Branches, Tango, Salve. Build a Wand + Boots, then depending on how well you're farming, you can get an Ultimate Orb (farming well) or finish Treads, Wraiths, and a Perse. Get Linken's whenever possible, then Manta/Bfury.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:23 AM   #8
wutwat

all i can say is: try to adapt to the game instead of following the same build blindly, and find your own style. this is especially important on medusa, since MANY items and itemcombinations are viable on her.

i consider those items when i play dusa: treads/phase/bot, wand (core!), linkens (core in many games), battlefury (yes, battlefury), skadi (totally awesome on dusa, i try to get one every time i play dusa after at least another core item like linkens), manta, butter, orchid, euls, hex, force staff, hood, radiance, divine

basically, my formula for dusa is: 1) get enough survivability to survive long enough 2) get some utility to counter your enemies if you need to 3) stack damage/stats

if you want further advise or clarification, just ask.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
The Other Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fodminah View Post
Start with 2 Slippers, 2 Branches, Tango, Salve. Build a Wand + Boots, then depending on how well you're farming, you can get an Ultimate Orb (farming well) or finish Treads, Wraiths, and a Perse. Get Linken's whenever possible, then Manta/Bfury.
I do hope you mean Butterfly, Battlefury is rushed as a first item to abuse Split Shot and to provide you with good damage and regen allowing you to farm up higher tier items much quicker than if you had gotten any other item first.

If however you get any other item, whether it be Bloodstone, Linkens or any other item with some form of regen for that matter then getting a BF after that would be completely pointless as you lose out on higher damage items such as Butterfly/Manta and any extra regen would be wasted.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
EternityPala

If we're talking about maximum dps late game, nothing beats Divine Rapier, so you probably will have at least two of those, or even more.
Probably something like this :
Skadi
BoT
Linken's
Butterfly
Divine Rapier
Divine Rapier
Old 02-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
findus

Go to lane. Attack ground. Go make some coffee. Come back. Buy BoTs and Yasha. Go to another lane. Turn on Mana Shield and Attack ground. Go watch an episode of American Dad. Buy Manta, Linkens and Skadi. Alt-A on enemy base. Wait for win. Finish with 12000 gold.
Last edited by findus; 02-24-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
GeneralCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by findus View Post
Go to lane. Attack ground. Go make some coffee. Come back. Buy BoTs and Yasha. Go to another lane. Turn on Mana Shield and Attack ground. Go watch an episode of American Dad. Buy Manta, Linkens and Skadi. Alt-A on enemy base. Wait for win. Finish with 12000 gold.
don't watch american dad ffs, it's terribad.

but the strat is pretty good tho. i micro her the same way
Old 02-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
EternityPala

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralCash View Post
don't watch american dad ffs, it's terribad.

but the strat is pretty good tho. i micro her the same way
Sad, but true.
Medusa's just that boring to play, sitting in lane, last hitting and denying, rice farming till the player gets all the shit he wants, then proceeds to loliautoattackyou and win the game.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #14
Elements-
Banned

What would be the best item build for Medusa?
1. Boots of Travel - Mobility
2. Guinsoo - Support/Disable
3. Manta - Push, Rax, Win/Stats
4. EoS - Stats/Slow attack
5. Butterfly - DMG
6. Linken - Block Skill/Stats
Old 02-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
MX.2000

I personally think Medusa is a very hard hero to play effectively. You need to be very good at last hitting to utilize her potential. Linken's is obviously great for survival, but doesn't add much damage. Snake is an excellent in lane harassing/farming tool. So she has a strong early game, a non-existent middle/late game (ala Merlini's 0-0-0 Medusa) and an excellent late late game.

She was great in the turtle strats of 6.64 but I don't think she's much use unless you want to intentionally drag the game out. No stun/no burst damage/no insane DPS until late late game. What do others think?

OP - My build is usually a few clarities to help spam snake, some branches, circlet and some tangoes. I rush the RoH and boots first, then make perservance. After that its just rice rice rice until linkens, then rice rice rice for some for BoTs & some DPS item (e.g. Manta (<3 extra ms!!).
Old 02-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #16
SuicidalSausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX2000 View Post
I personally think Medusa is a very hard hero to play effectively. You need to be very good at last hitting to utilize her potential. Linken's is obviously great for survival, but doesn't add much damage. Snake is an excellent in lane harassing/farming tool.
To be honest, most hero's need excellent last hitting to be utilized properly, her animation is not extremely terrible so is not that hard.

Linken's is an effective item, but I don't particularly enjoy the low damage.

I find a bfury to work wonders, but for 675 more I could have an early Orchid.

Orchid you say?

- +20 Int, Medusa is helped immensely by a large mana pool for tanking
- +225% mana regen, this is 75% more than linkens/bfury, more snake, more tank
- +30 attack speed, allows you to get your damage out faster
- +45 damage, this is 20 less than bfury, but with the 30% attack speed..
- Soul Burn, a 5 second pseudo-disable and damage amp, yes please.

The only thing missing is the 6 hp/s regen of bfury/linkens, Linkens comes with "more" tankage by coming with 15 Strength AND Int and the spell block.

The thing with Orchid though, along with Power Treads, it can be built completely at your side-lane, allowing you to imba rice farm effectively, while also getting items to farm more.

I have found that an Orchid Rush followed by a fast Skadi works wonders.

With just a Linkens your farming capabilities are gimped compared to Bfury and Orchid, while with a Bfury your tanking capabilities are gimped compared to Orchid and Linkens.

I find that Orchid is the perfect balance when paired with Strength Treads.

If you think you are going to have a bad lane, you can stick with pretty much all regen from fountain.

Otherwise GG sticks, regen, clarity, circlet+wraith recipe etc. whatever you want can work.
Last edited by SuicidalSausage; 02-24-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #17
The Other Guy

^They should just end my misery and make her main attribute INT already. To this day I don't see why she is a AGI hero.

It wont change her role from being a tank/pusher/carry and opens up more item and playstyle choices than she currently has.

EDIT: Doesn't even have to be that much, just swap her AGI with her INT, problem solved.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
SuicidalSausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy View Post
^They should just end my misery and make her main attribute INT already. To this day I don't see why she is a AGI hero.

It wont change her role from being a tank/pusher/carry and opens up more item and playstyle choices than she currently has.

EDIT: Doesn't even have to be that much, just swap her AGI with her INT, problem solved.
Hmm, Orchid could potentially be extremely imbalanced if INT was her main attribute, providing the same damage as Battlefury, but also way more benefits, only losing the hp regen. Costing only 675 gold more for 75% mana regen, 20 int, 30 attack speed. That is just LOL. IMO it is already just LOL and Orchid is very cost effective, perhaps moreso than even Bfury.

To be honest, I like the option of having Butterfly as an imba dps item while also providing the tankage.

Can you give me some examples of other builds you would use with INT?
Last edited by SuicidalSausage; 02-24-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #19
carpet muncher

Quote:

Unless Icefrog is brain dead he would never swap her agi to int. Changing her stats from agi to int opens up item and playstyle choice? Wtf are you smoking dude. Changing her to Int close of several items like butterfly and manta, which allows medusa to dish out damage. Whereas the current medusa can still work with guinsoo, orchid, eul or whatever.

Whatever respect (or should it be pity) anyone had for the 2000+ post was lost in an instant
Last edited by carpet muncher; 02-24-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #20
SuicidalSausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpet muncher View Post
Unless Icefrog is brain dead he would never swap her agi to int. Changing her stats from agi to int opens up item and playstyle choice? Wtf are you smoking dude. Changing her to Int close of several items like butterfly and manta, which allows medusa to dish out damage. Whereas the current medusa can still work with guinsoo, orchid, eul or whatever.

Whatever respect (or should it be pity) anyone had for the 2000+ post was lost in an instant
Guinsoo rush would be quite fun tbh, the extra +25 damage as an int would be a nice bonus, but still out-shadowed I think.

And an early orchid would be too OP in my opinion, but leaving late game underpar except perhaps Skadi.

Not a good idea to change to INT in my opinion
Last edited by SuicidalSausage; 02-24-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #21
The Other Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpet muncher View Post

Whatever respect someone I have never seen nor heard off has for me means very little to me tbh.

Medusa is not a carry, unless the definition for being one is that the game has to last over an hour for you to actually out damage other heroes in team fights. She is a tank/pusher and changing her stats to favour INT would only strengthen her as one. Would it nerf her carrying? Sure, but then again, she was never meant to be one.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #22
SuicidalSausage

Quote:
Whatever respect someone I have never seen nor heard off has for me means very little to me tbh.

Medusa is not a carry, unless the definition for being one is that the game has to last over an hour for you to actually out damage other heroes in team fights. She is a tank/pusher and changing her stats to favour INT would only strengthen her as one. Would it nerf her carrying? Sure, but then again, she was never meant to be one.
Yeah, she is more of semi-carry/tank(but brilliant at both!)

In my mind I don't see the INT change being in huge favor of her, the bonus would be in getting damage from any +int you get.

With an early orchid, that would be a huge boost and could see it as core.

Other than that, leaving Manta/Butterfly open as dps items has far more potential than say, Guinsoo's.

But I could see something like a Shiva's becoming quite useful (although armor is only half as effective because mana shield is before damage reduction),it would provide 30 int, which would be a huge boon to her mana shield tanking, and the active ability, oh, and the -25% attack speed aura

Also having Nulls as an option early provides tanking AND damage, which would be a boost in relation to Wraiths.

I can kind of see some sense in your idea, but still feel that having manta/butterfly as effective options is better.
Last edited by SuicidalSausage; 02-24-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #23
The Other Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicidalSausage View Post

I can kind of see some sense in your idea, but still feel that having manta/butterfly as effective options is better.
Manta damage is based off of your main attribute and stats, considering you get INT items I don't see why you still don't get it anyway. As for Butterfly, the only reason it was gotten was mainly for its damage and evasion but considering you can still get a Talisman anyway I hardly see it as a big loss.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #24
SuicidalSausage

Quote:
Manta damage is based off of your main attribute and stats, considering you get INT items I don't see why you still don't get it anyway. As for Butterfly, the only reason it was gotten was mainly for its damage and evasion but considering you can still get a Talisman anyway I hardly see it as a big loss.
I guess it truly depends on item-order doesn't it, but still, it is nothing huge.

Either way, int or agi, I think she will remain relatively the same.

The big change would be Orchid, and Nulls I think.

And thinking about it, her being INT would not be very different.

But that extra +20 damage on Orchid is like, game breaking. LOL
Old 02-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #25
Kris

Default Re: Medusa Item Build

Dusa is a late carry with an obnoxiously OP nuke and an amazing tanking skill midgame.

Treads/Travs
Hood
Manta
Sphere/Skadi
Butter/DR

SatireTrolling: the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #26
Soulfly

Quote:
Manta damage is based off of your main attribute and stats, considering you get INT items I don't see why you still don't get it anyway.
Because Yasha is an agility item.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #27
SuicidalSausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
True, you lose out on 16 damage, but the main use of Manta was the images, you could always go Ultimate Orb first, then Yasha, and manta recipe.

But don't forget that although you don't get the 16 damage from Yasha, you do get the +10% ms +15% as, and the attack speed from agi.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #28
The Other Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
And? If you still wanted to build Manta it would be for the damage and utility the images provide. It wouldn't be ideal but it would still be strong regardless.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #29
Skaloon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX2000 View Post
I personally think Medusa is a very hard hero to play effectively. You need to be very good at last hitting to utilize her potential. Linken's is obviously great for survival, but doesn't add much damage. Snake is an excellent in lane harassing/farming tool. So she has a strong early game, a non-existent middle/late game (ala Merlini's 0-0-0 Medusa) and an excellent late late game.

She was great in the turtle strats of 6.64 but I don't think she's much use unless you want to intentionally drag the game out. No stun/no burst damage/no insane DPS until late late game. What do others think?

OP - My build is usually a few clarities to help spam snake, some branches, circlet and some tangoes. I rush the RoH and boots first, then make perservance. After that its just rice rice rice until linkens, then rice rice rice for some for BoTs & some DPS item (e.g. Manta (<3 extra ms!!).
it's not that hard to play medusa. ask for a solo lane againts dual lane (ask your team mate to go to woods or to start roaming from lvl 1). don't go soloing mid - you are a shit ganker.
build up wand, presevarance and str treads as fast as possible (the hp boost from threads is realy good early game, change them to travels later). after this just spam your snake and slowly push the lane last hiting everything.
finish linkens, then skadi (yes skadi is nice on her - gives her more tanking power), butterfly. I don't like manta on her - medusa has insane pushing power anyway and she does not need to confuse enemies, she can tank 5 k dmg with no problem.
until minute 30 don't participate in team fights (just when it's critical). spam snake, slowly push one lane and last hit everything. if they gank you just use ulti, put on shield and run, TP if needed. come back in to the lane imidiately and persist the push. even if you die still go do the same thing.
you gonna annoy your enemies very much, cause there are basicly no heroes that can stand in lane againts medusa 1x1. so you will make them to gank you constantly giving your team a lot of space for counter ganks.
during team fights, use your ulti when enemies are facing you, spam snake and just hit your enemies meanwhile tanking as much as possible. when you have more than 2k hp and 1,5 mp you don't have to worry about retreat.

You made a HUGE mistake by saying that Dusa is non-existing in game until late-late game. medusa's power lays in making your enemies constanly have one hero standing in lane againts her and getting no farm, and making your enemies to do obvious ganks, which are easily avoidable. if they leave Dusa alone, she gonna push the rax down and will get 4 top tier items in no time.
the example with merlini's 0-0-0 Medusa is bad, cause that game was one sided (rikimaru won the game with going beyond godlike early in the game), I saw another Merlini's replay with medusa, he soloed down lane againts Hexor's clinkz. Hexor got destroyed. He got no farm and couldn't go gank because he had to prevent merlini from pushing. Dota is not just about ganks and team fights.

p. s. don't pick medusa againts Magina, and heroes with core difussal (lancer, naga).
Last edited by Skaloon; 02-24-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #30
SuicidalSausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaloon View Post
it's not that hard to play medusa. ask for a solo lane againts dual lane (ask your team mate to go to woods or to start roaming from lvl 1). don't go soloing mid - you are a shit ganker.
build up wand, presevarance and str treads as fast as possible (the hp boost from threads is realy good early game, change them to travels later). after this just spam your snake and slowly push the lane last hiting everything.
finish linkens, then skadi (yes skadi is nice on her - gives her more tanking power), butterfly. I don't like manta on her - medusa has insane pushing power anyway and she does not need to confuse enemies, she can tank 5 k dmg with no problem.
Manta is not only pushing power, images provide a HUGE dps boost and is massive in a team fight. Images have split shot too zzz

In a team fight you are an AoE monster.

Other than that, to tank efficiently you need approximately 2.3x mana to hp (assuming aprox. 20% armor reduction), if you want to make full use of mana shield.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #31
Skaloon
Banned

Quote:
Manta is not only pushing power, images provide a HUGE dps boost and is massive in a team fight. Images have split shot too zzz

In a team fight you are an AoE monster.

Other than that, to tank efficiently you need approximately 2.3x mana to hp (assuming aprox. 20% armor reduction), if you want to make full use of mana shield.
the thing is I played hundred of games with Dusa I tried manta, hood, vanga, hot. I found that linkens plus skadi is the best choice - 3 ultimate orbs, point booster, and a skill block - you become unkillable. after that is a choice between manta or butterfly if the game drags on that long. this late in a game you must single target the must be killed hero. using split shot can fuck up the team fight (hiting creeps during the fight is not that good)
plus if there a lot of AOE dmg in enemy team those images go to waste, with butterfly I feel way more comfortable.
Last edited by Skaloon; 02-24-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #32
SuicidalSausage

Quote:
the thing is I played hundred of games with Dusa I tried manta, hood, vanga, hot. I found that linkens plus skadi is the best choice - 3 ultimate orbs, point booster, and a skill block - you become unkillable. after that is a choice between manta or butterfly if the game drags on that long. this late in a game you must single target the must be killed hero. using split shot can fuck up the team fight (hiting creeps during the fight is not that good)
Linkens is effectively a pure-tank build, while leaving Medusa's dps quite lack-luster, there is definately not as much reason to take down Medusa first when her dps is low, they will go for your team-mates. Can be effective at times, but usually when gotten before a Manta.

How can split shot fuck up the team fight? You are losing 25% damage on your main target, but if you are hitting four, you are doing 300% effective dps.Three, 225% dps, even Two is 150% effective dps.

As long as you right click the main target the skadi buff will be on them, while you can still do AoE dps.

With Manta in a team fight, she can do effectively 500% damage when shooting 4 people, 373% dps on 3 targets, 224% damage on 2 targets
Old 02-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #33
Skaloon
Banned

Quote:
Linkens is effectively a pure-tank build, while leaving Medusa's dps quite lack-luster, there is definately not as much reason to take down Medusa first when her dps is low, they will go for your team-mates. Can be effective at times, but usually when gotten before a Manta.

How can split shot fuck up the team fight? You are losing 25% damage on your main target, but if you are hitting four, you are doing 300% effective dps.Three, 225% dps, even Two is 150% effective dps.

As long as you right click the main target the skadi buff will be on them, while you can still do AoE dps.

With Manta in a team fight, she can do effectively 500% damage when shooting 4 people, 373% dps on 3 targets, 224% damage on 2 targets
what you playing againts 5 carries or what? this late in the game you have to kill that one farmed up guy in enemy team as fast as you can. 25 proc reduce in dmg is a lot.

images die fast to aoe spells. on paper the dmg look nice, but can you actually get this? you gonna be in the middle of the fight. remember? your images gonna die in a split second. Medusa is not Mirana who stands back and shoots enemies from far away. medusa has to be in the middle of the battle tanking everything.

before you get Skadi you ain't gonna be in no team fights. when you have just linken's you gonna stay in lane farming up and pushing slowly ALONE. after you get skadi, constant slow will make enemies to attack you. besides you gonna to play a tankish position.

Manta can't be considered before linken's. meanwhile you could get it before skadi, but again I find skadi way more usefull on medusa when manta
Last edited by Skaloon; 02-24-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #34
SuicidalSausage

zz have fun with your build then.

But you are missing out on one of the greatest tools a Medusa can have.

Btw, if you don't have split shot on, your images will increase your single target dps by 66%. Again, you underestimate it.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #35
Skaloon
Banned

Quote:
zz have fun with your build then.

But you are missing out on one of the greatest tools a Medusa can have.

Btw, if you don't have split shot on, your images will increase your single target dps by 66%. Again, you underestimate it.
I get manta on Medusa just when enemies don't have enough aoe spells, to destroy images fast. otherwise the dps boost from manta is unreliable. I don't say that manta is bad on her, but I find Skadi plus butterfly better, than skadi plus manta or butterfly plus manta.

and i'm not theorycrafting, I tried it out a lot of times with a lot of different lineups.
Last edited by Skaloon; 02-24-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #36
ludabudda

Quote:
plus if there a lot of AOE dmg in enemy team those images go to waste, with butterfly I feel way more comfortable.
jesus fucking christ how do you play hundreds of games with such a boring hero.

anyway, the point is, most any build you chose to go on dusa you have to ricefarm for as she needs health, mana, and dps. If you make it to end game, it doesnt really matter what items you have, you'll rape face. Any selection of skadi, butterfly, linkens, rapier, mjollnir, rapier, orchid are all fine because split shot lategame will own.

The problem is have to farm items to cover all three needs, mana, health, and dps. Therefore, I just pray to god they dont have any nukes or gankers, and rush that bfury for faster farms. otherwise, I dont think it's really worth it to play dusa.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #37
BossOfTheSoss

I used to be a fan of BoTs + bfury dusa, but I found that build made games go too long. Now I go Agi treads, wand, Manta, Linkens and finish games around the 30-40 min mark.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:21 AM   #38
SuicidalSausage

Quote:
The problem is have to farm items to cover all three needs, mana, health, and dps. Therefore, I just pray to god they dont have any nukes or gankers, and rush that bfury for faster farms. otherwise, I dont think it's really worth it to play dusa.
Yeah, as I said before, (you did mention it in your post actually) Orchid is amazing.
Orchid provides the much needed dps, and huge mana pool/regen, all built at side shop.
Along with a Strength Treads you also have the HP needed to match the mana shield, also built at side-shop.

Don't forget that you also have a 5 second pseudo-disable now (with only a 25 sec CD) allowing you to be useful even with your ultimate on cooldown.

Costing 6475 for these two together, being built completely at the side shop is a huge bonus, allowing you to stay in your lane and ricefarm.

It is slightly cheaper than Linkens, but provides SLIGHTLY less tank ability, which is made up for by the increased damage, and the utility of Soul Burn.
  Defense of the Ancients Game Strategy