Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
scron2

Default Why Garena Sucks

Being curious as to what Garena exactly is... I downloaded it and tested it today.

It took me about 1 hour to really setup and understand how things work.

Some things that are cool about Garena are that about 250 people can be in a single channel. But this "plus" is quickly taken back when you realize the games you see are only the ones of the room you are in. What's more is that most of these rooms are close to 90-100% full which means you can't join them at all unless you BUY some gold membership in order to join a full room. AND THIS MAKES FINDING GAMES HARD.

I managed to stroll through many rooms and found a few games (1) in North America and (2) in Europe. The game in a North America channel didn't even fill up. It was 4v4, actually 4v3 with the leaver. I had to wait quite some time to find a host on the same version. Infact many users were on the old patch! @wtf!.

In the Europe channel game I joined, lag was nearly unnoticed. It truly was like a non-choppy game. This is all garena has going for it as I see it (perhaps all the players were north american I don't know). Sure there was a leaver in my first Europe Room game but hey, what can I expect right? The second game I had went very well and my team was winning when sometime after the sentinel lost its mid the host went -kickafk 1 and left the game causing a full disconnect.

So when we look at this reasonably: Garena doesn't ban leavers, mhers or custom kickers on their lower level games. Their higher level games claim to do so BUT in order to get into a high-level room you have to be like level 5. Well I played about 3-4 games and advanced not one level. So I was like.... why the fuck would I play in a place where I can't find a game very often and where it doesn't level up very quickly....?

In comparison, a TDA game sees at least equally skilled players. And I'll mention THR in this as well. In THR people may mh but noone has the ability to custom kick players which is just annoying. Noone can leave the game causing a mass disconnect. Games are found ALL THE TIME, VERY FREQUENTLY ON BNET, east or west.

As far as I see this Garena could use ONE major improvement: Allowing users to join games by their LOCATION. What do I mean? I mean that if you are in a North American Game Room, that you get to see ALL the games listed in any North American Room and this would be the same for the major geographic locations. The settings to only see games within the room you are in should be a "feature" incase you are trying to set up a private game of some sort.... because all in all you logged in to find a game and play as many as you want... well it isnt' as easy as bnet but at least it runs well, even though people disconnect all over the place in Garena.

Well that's about it and that's why I think Garena sucks compared to bnet for finding games.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
raz44

Default Re: Why Garena Sucks

its better than d stupid BOTS in BNET anyway!!

Old 03-17-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
kawumm

Guide Writing Award 

finding games in garena hard? zzz. much harder in bnet
/thread
epic

Old 03-17-2010, 02:14 AM   #4
koalasex

I think you were just really unlucky.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:15 AM   #5
N00BKILLER12345
Banned

Garena is suck because game always end after first blood.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
scron2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawumm View Post
finding games in garena hard? zzz. much harder in bnet
You have got to be kidding me. That is such a lie. Any game window on any gateway has at least 6 dota games posted at any time.

But if you are on Garena you have to stroll through like 20 rooms before finding one that has players out of game and ready to host. Not to mention the fact that you have to be a certain level for some rooms.

Simply put, go to throneit.com, and login and check their available games. There are pretty much always games hosted and you can join from any gateway. You can't argue with the facts. BNET is faster for finding games.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:34 AM   #7
TheAmerican

Never had problem with finding a game.
Unfair to compare TDA with Garena Pubs.
The appeal of Garena is that the lag is less for most people, even when playing with hosts across the world.
I frequently play in Asian rooms and such.
And the leveling is to make sure your account is valuable before you enter HLR. Less chance you will mess up games. The whole point is like the icons for TDA. Except not as easy to get in, which is good because they are more exclusive and stuff. Which means you are less likely to have leaverfags on there, who just make a new account and....

Old 03-17-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
kawumm

Guide Writing Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scron2 View Post
You have got to be kidding me. That is such a lie. Any game window on any gateway has at least 6 dota games posted at any time.

But if you are on Garena you have to stroll through like 20 rooms before finding one that has players out of game and ready to host. Not to mention the fact that you have to be a certain level for some rooms.

Simply put, go to throneit.com, and login and check their available games. There are pretty much always games hosted and you can join from any gateway. You can't argue with the facts. BNET is faster for finding games.
i play on northrend - i was under the impression throneit.com is only available on american gateways?

whenever i check the custom games at night, i have a REALLY hard time finding a game that actually fills at some point (read: no hostbot) and preferably uses some sort of delay-reducer, because that tiny thing that garena has going for it is actually pretty damn important to me.

whenever i join a full (or rather close to it) room in garena at night it may take a while for a game to fill, but its still way faster than looking for a host on bnet and usually it fills quite fast. i play a lot of pubs, cant argue with my experiences.
however, a wc3 patch got released recently and a lot of garena users are still using the old one, hence their games wont show on the list. this may explain your experience. joining a room isnt that hard, just try a few times, bang youre in. only hard if you try to join a specific room that has 230/225 users or sth. maybe its also region-specific, i can only speak for europe.

pretty funny that a troll would call me a liar.
/thread
epic

Old 03-17-2010, 03:00 AM   #9
Estraz

I never have any problems finding game on northrend tbh, even though I'm rather picky in gamemode, latency reducer and even gamename.

As for garena, for the 250 people in a channel there's sure as hell very little hosting going on. I'm just playing PDGG though, sometimes you have to wait for a game there as the number of people there isn't too massive but once you got a game there will will be another one up right as you finish, and best of all no leaving ;(

Anyway I haven't played garena pubs a lot, but yeah it's weird how few games are being hosted.

Oh and I've also played throneit, yes it's US only. Played together with an american, plus I wanted to try out their system. Throneit does lead to full games, so after a not too long time you'll have a game. However, you do usually need to wait for a fair while though. Their gamemodes are shitty. Way too many -em games, so you're gonna have to wait till they get a game up with your fav mode :/

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

- M. Gandhi

Old 03-17-2010, 03:10 AM   #10
voko

LAN is the best that is of course you if and only if have friends to play with though. That is what I play and lucky of me I have a social life. ^_^

How will you acknowledge your Dota skills here in playdota.com without being labeled elitist?

Last edited by voko; 03-17-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:15 AM   #11
Darkdays

I detest Garena when I play in a USA room, and 8 out of 10 people in my game are playing from China, and 4 out of 8 disconnect as soon as game starts.

There's also the, "I have to tunnel my friend a billion times to see his game."

As for the whether or not it's easier to find DotA game in Garena vs.BNet, you gotta remember, Garena is almost DotA exclusive, but at the same time, only spots 250 people per room. Most likely, 200+ are already in a game, and another 40 are afk.

Battle.net doesn't have this room limit, which in theory let's you find games much more easily, but it's not DotA exclusive, and people tend to play EM, and as we all know it, just about everyone (except claniraq) in this forum hates EM. So in BNet, you will actually see more DotA games, but, a lot less that you actually want to play (because they are -em)

щ(゚Д゚щ) Thanks to Senjougahara for the siggy!

Last edited by Darkdays; 03-17-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:21 AM   #12
JimRaynor55

Garena has some good things about it, such as reducing lag, providing large rooms, and giving you a free and easy banlist. It also has lots of problems too.

The people are generally too retarded to update the game (i.e. one freaking click on the "Battle.net" button), meaning every time Blizzard releases a patch you won't be playing for the next few days. It's one thing to not realize that a new patch has been released; it's another to KNOWINGLY play an older version of the game. Two days ago I saw someone asking for 1.24c games. Not even 1.24d, but 1.24c. WTF?

You also have a hard time screening out people who are playing in rooms outside of their geographic area. A game may be hosted in the USA room and get people from Peru, China, Andorra, or Afghanistan. A lot of these people won't speak the language, besides knowing how to bitch the host about the lag. As if playing from a different continent doesn't cause lag...

A small number of rooms at any given time tend to get overcrowded and filled to capacity. So while there are lots of rooms, you won't be able to join the busy rooms while all the other rooms are too empty.

Goblin Techies
Pit Lord

Old 03-17-2010, 03:22 AM   #13
walkingonsnow

The only good thing about Garena is there are no botters there.

Everything else is crappy. Entering a room without gold membership, HACKERS like every game, retards, leavers, disconnections, bla bla...

Tunneling is also annoying.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:24 AM   #14
Darkdays

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRaynor55 View Post

The people are generally too retarded to update the game (i.e. one freaking click on the "Battle.net" button), meaning every time Blizzard releases a patch you won't be playing for the next few days. It's one thing to not realize that a new patch has been released; it's another to KNOWINGLY play an older version of the game. Two days ago I saw someone asking for 1.24c games. Not even 1.24d, but 1.24c. WTF?
Either that or THE MAJORITY OF GARENA PLAYERS ARE BOOTLEGGERS THAT DLED WC3 FOR FREE AND CANNOT ACCESS BNET SO THEY PLAY ON GARENA INSTEAD AND THUS ARE UNABLE TO UPDATE THROUGH CLICKING THE FREAKING BNET BUTTON

Old 03-17-2010, 03:28 AM   #15
goldenzero2

Quote:
Being curious as to what Garena exactly is... I downloaded it and tested it today.

It took me about 1 hour to really setup and understand how things work.

Some things that are cool about Garena are that about 250 people can be in a single channel. But this "plus" is quickly taken back when you realize the games you see are only the ones of the room you are in. What's more is that most of these rooms are close to 90-100% full which means you can't join them at all unless you BUY some gold membership in order to join a full room. AND THIS MAKES FINDING GAMES HARD.

I managed to stroll through many rooms and found a few games (1) in North America and (2) in Europe. The game in a North America channel didn't even fill up. It was 4v4, actually 4v3 with the leaver. I had to wait quite some time to find a host on the same version. Infact many users were on the old patch! @wtf!.

In the Europe channel game I joined, lag was nearly unnoticed. It truly was like a non-choppy game. This is all garena has going for it as I see it (perhaps all the players were north american I don't know). Sure there was a leaver in my first Europe Room game but hey, what can I expect right? The second game I had went very well and my team was winning when sometime after the sentinel lost its mid the host went -kickafk 1 and left the game causing a full disconnect.

So when we look at this reasonably: Garena doesn't ban leavers, mhers or custom kickers on their lower level games. Their higher level games claim to do so BUT in order to get into a high-level room you have to be like level 5. Well I played about 3-4 games and advanced not one level. So I was like.... why the fuck would I play in a place where I can't find a game very often and where it doesn't level up very quickly....?

In comparison, a TDA game sees at least equally skilled players. And I'll mention THR in this as well. In THR people may mh but noone has the ability to custom kick players which is just annoying. Noone can leave the game causing a mass disconnect. Games are found ALL THE TIME, VERY FREQUENTLY ON BNET, east or west.

As far as I see this Garena could use ONE major improvement: Allowing users to join games by their LOCATION. What do I mean? I mean that if you are in a North American Game Room, that you get to see ALL the games listed in any North American Room and this would be the same for the major geographic locations. The settings to only see games within the room you are in should be a "feature" incase you are trying to set up a private game of some sort.... because all in all you logged in to find a game and play as many as you want... well it isnt' as easy as bnet but at least it runs well, even though people disconnect all over the place in Garena.

Well that's about it and that's why I think Garena sucks compared to bnet for finding games.
For your suggestions you have to think logically, do you think that it's free to have all those servers and to support all those people?

It's not, not only is the cap there so that a server doesn't overload it's there so that they can make money as well. I think you're unlucky with those games, and also their's a trick to get in the rooms where you just spam click, rather simple and it allows you to get in a full room in 5 mins max. There you'll prob end up finding games no problem.

Also for the version update people are lazy, that's just people. In asia they are still using 1.22 in some parts and they have 2-3 seconds delay so don't complain.

Leveling is quite easy, you actually get exp for leaving your account on. You can make a new account and you can end up getting to level 5 if you play a whole day.

Something that is easier to do in Garena is to play with a friend. That is a good and bad trait of Garena. Becuase it's easier to join the same host you might end up facing a stacked team or a bunch of friends, not to say that they'll always be good but yea.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 AM   #16
JimRaynor55

Quote:
So when we look at this reasonably: Garena doesn't ban leavers, mhers or custom kickers on their lower level games. Their higher level games claim to do so BUT in order to get into a high-level room you have to be like level 5. Well I played about 3-4 games and advanced not one level.
I think you may be talking about the USA High Level Room. That one is meaningless and its level requirement mysteriously ranges from 1 to 10. No one plays in it, and nobody gives a crap about it.

The Europe High Level Room is the one people talk about. Level requirement for the lowest Europe HLR is 14. And it's...somewhat better than regular pub. The leavers and noobs are fewer in number, but still show up. And I recently discovered how bullshit the ban request requirements are for the HLR. Not only do you have to have a replay, but you need to take a damn screenshot of the moment when the person you're accusing left the game. What a bunch of unnecessary, time wasting crap.

I hear it gets better as you advance to the higher HLRs, but that comes with higher level requirements as well. It's taken me months just to get to the lowest HLR.

Goblin Techies
Pit Lord

Old 03-17-2010, 03:33 AM   #17
voko

To experience the best of garena, join a clan or guild. Usually clans even though amateur clans organize frequent friendly games against other clans. From there you can be guaranteed that they are not leavers.

How will you acknowledge your Dota skills here in playdota.com without being labeled elitist?

Old 03-17-2010, 03:35 AM   #18
Kris

Don't talk shit on GGC because you are low skilled at joining rooms. Also don't expect to find many games on 1.24e for another month or at least until a fix to the bugs that patch brought comes out.

SatireTrolling: the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:36 AM   #19
Darkdays

Quote:
Originally Posted by voko View Post
To experience the best of garena, join a clan or guild. Usually clans even though amateur clans organize frequent friendly games against other clans. From there you can be guaranteed that they are not leavers.
Can you not do that in BNet as well?

I honestly think that the only advantage of Garena is the ease of finding clan wars as there's a chat box for it.

There's the PDGG as well, but we all know that doesn't count as it trumps everything

Last edited by Darkdays; 03-17-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:45 AM   #20
scron2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Don't talk shit on GGC because you are low skilled at joining rooms. Also don't expect to find many games on 1.24e for another month or at least until a fix to the bugs that patch brought comes out.
Ok don't you get it? If joining a room is something beyond common-sense (requiring "skill"), then that in itself is the problem. It's a poor design, that's all I'm saying.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:01 AM   #21
godzbane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00BKILLER12345 View Post
Coz of Ragequit. Agreed.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #22
Night1301

mostly they dont even ragequit, cauz they left the second they died....

Click Remilia for my Touhou albums, and here for Touhou doujins.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:32 AM   #23
voko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdays View Post
Can you not do that in BNet as well?

I honestly think that the only advantage of Garena is the ease of finding clan wars as there's a chat box for it.

There's the PDGG as well, but we all know that doesn't count as it trumps everything
Garena= more people

More people= More chance of finding clans to stick with

Old 03-17-2010, 04:35 AM   #24
Exige1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdays View Post
I detest Garena when I play in a USA room, and 8 out of 10 people in my game are playing from China, and 4 out of 8 disconnect as soon as game starts.

There's also the, "I have to tunnel my friend a billion times to see his game."

As for the whether or not it's easier to find DotA game in Garena vs.BNet, you gotta remember, Garena is almost DotA exclusive, but at the same time, only spots 250 people per room. Most likely, 200+ are already in a game, and another 40 are afk.
you're clearly retarded. obviously everything you stated is not according to the real happenings of Garena

Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 AM   #25
AduhAwas

Guide Writing Award Video Maker Award 

Yes Garena has its flaws, but it is still the place to be for dota.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:51 AM   #26
kawumm

Guide Writing Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00BKILLER12345 View Post
that is the case in bnet as well. actually, thats a plus for GGC - when one person leaves after FB and theres a rmk, its way easier for the same ppl to join the game - they instantly see the same host on their list again. in bnet you gotta wait for new ppl or tell the others the gamename, and change that gamename to public eventually... not to mention those hosting tools consume more time than simply clicking "create game"
/thread
epic

Last edited by kawumm; 03-17-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 AM   #27
enjoyx

Dumb thread, if you don't like it get your ass back on bnet. What are you trying to accomplish with this thread?
I played on bnet for years, found out about Garena and never went back.

there's a reason less and less people are playing on bnet, while Garena keeps expanding.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 AM   #28
halimsideek3

I dont know how it is in Europe or America, but in Asia garena works wonder. I would like to suggest to you to check out the asia room. For example under asia room go for Malaysia room and see how many rooms are there. And all of them are full. I never try Bnet but I think garena is not as bad as what you said. Maybe you had a bad luck?

Old 03-17-2010, 05:36 AM   #29
thekodobeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyx View Post
there's a reason less and less people are playing on bnet, while Garena keeps expanding.
Part of the reason could be the ability to play a pirated version of Warcraft 3 online. BNet losing users isn't unusual when you consider how old this game is, along with people switching to HoN.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #30
potseng

I think the room system is stupid as well. The only thing I hate about ggc is trying to get into a full room. I think the HON has a much better system that you can see all the games in your region and how many spots left in the game.
By the way, I think the 6v6 map on b.net works really well because normally one or two people will leave in the first 10 mins, and it's still 5v5. I hope I can see 6v6 game in ggc as well. Just my 2 cents

Old 03-17-2010, 05:59 AM   #31
mwdiver9

I like Garena alot. I usually have little to no troubles other than some team-stacking. No delay or lag. Its a pub so basically there are gonna be leavers from time to time but its still a better deal then battlenet which is near useless if you dont want to play -em.
Its not the training, Asians are born better at video games the same way black people are more athletic. Lewl. At first the Asian elitism in this thread annoyed me, but then I said to myself "meh, they finally found something they're good at, I'll let them enjoy it."

My Favorite Heros.

What this forum makes me do 90% of the time

Old 03-17-2010, 06:01 AM   #32
dominator02

Steam: Dominator IV

Pros
[+]PDGG can only be there
[+]Pubs are great because they don't use -em at all.especially higher levels
[+]Lag reduction
[+]no botters
Cons
[-]Maphacks
[-]Flamers,trollers

Garena isn't suck.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:01 AM   #33
Sources

more of scrons antics

Old 03-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #34
Supamahn

Garena is easy to find games IMO. But so not worth it. Filled with ragequiiters, qqers, leavers, feeders, hosts who stack teams, leaving hosts, maphackers, and complete retards. But at least no -em games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawumm View Post
i play on northrend - i was under the impression throneit.com is only available on american gateways?

whenever i check the custom games at night, i have a REALLY hard time finding a game that actually fills at some point (read: no hostbot) and preferably uses some sort of delay-reducer, because that tiny thing that garena has going for it is actually pretty damn important to me.
Really? I play on Azeroth or whatever it is (US West) and I have no trouble finding a game no matter what time even at 4am. Also, there are like 5 hosting bots and a shit load of player hosted games.

Then again Bnet has the same but less IMO.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #35
ex-Skyforger
Banned

I'm not keen on bashing GGC, since we are likely to play CWs there, in custom rooms instead of RGC, but talking about pubs:
1st lolwut epic lowskill
2nd b.net bots lag less than any random Garena games (I always have <20 ping, <40 if I'm downloading with like 1-2mb/s - Garena never gonna beat this)
3rd fail sentinel brosquads
4th infact getting a game started takes (considerably more) time => searching room with free slots, waiting for someone to host and wait to get the game filled / host your own game and wait to get it filled
5th gay profile image - I can't get over this lame metrosexual dude from a crappy anime portrait with BLUE HAIR FTW
6th struggle with noob leavers to play in non-fail games? what kind of fucked up logic is that?

So my advice would be: if you like Garena, it's basic idea and concept, join the PlayDota room (read the requirments ofc, as there are some) OR gtfo from Garena and either use RGC or custom b.net based leagues.

edit: omgwtfbbq, what's with all the -em hate? "imma just be elitist and go for shitting all over Garena, coz in RGC there is no -ap for lame pickers, only -cm/-cd coz we aint no nabz for playing -ap" Q,Q

Last edited by ex-Skyforger; 03-17-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 AM   #36
ulzimate

Garena's one greatest flaw that drives me crazy is that the developers actually encourage you to idle in their rooms, and yet they have a cap on how many players can be in a room at a time. There's absolutely no logic in this, especially for high demand rooms like certain clan war or high level rooms.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #37
NHP54

Garena pubs are what they are, so don't expect much.

It's a good place to find clan wars.

However, my only real gripe is how people DO NOT UNDERSTAND the language of the rooms they are playing in (cough* English), especially considering how DotA involves communicating with others.

If you are from a non-English speaking country, then play in the rooms where your language will be understood.

Check out my hero suggestion.

Goliath the Guardian Golem

Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #38
rulikkk

"It took me about 1 hour to really setup and understand how things work."
Your connection is poor? You're using a calculator? It's strange that you needed a whole hour to understand simple concepts of garena (pick the game, pick the room, play).

"Some things that are cool about Garena are that about 250 people can be in a single channel. But this "plus" is quickly taken back when you realize the games you see are only the ones of the room you are in."
"Allowing users to join games by their LOCATION."
This is technical limit. Garena is much like a VPN server, each of the player gets a new IP assigned on a virtual-local network, and this network has a limit of 254 users.

About lags. If you're in Europe, it's a good point to platy in a Europe room. You can always ping the host to estimate the delay (<100 would be fine, 100-200 is playable, that's for me). But if you're in Australia and play in North Amrican room, do not expect a good ping, because the host is most likely to be in North America.

About finding games. It never made a problem for me. Probably, you're using patch older than 1.24c, which is most of garena players are on, and can't see most of games.

About leavers, bans etc. Garena is a pub, yes, you will never be prohibited to leave there, many people will ban a leaver, but does that matter? There are plenty of other hosts there. Moreover, if you banned someone, and he joined your host nothing special will happen. But there are also many rooms with a special communties (clans, etc) where you can play with more or less responsible people, even at level 1. Just explore.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #39
Zangetsu2201

Garena sucks because it has a gay skin (really stupid graphic designer), you have to wait 5 seconds between entering rooms (and they think they're great...) and it allows people to stay afk on rooms (IMO, it should kick you after 15 minutes).

Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #40
Daimonie

Europe dota rooms 1-15 are so called ladder rooms, they usually have 3-4 games filling when you're there.

Garena's sucks because the connections are crap. Suddenly lagg (Garena crash), suddenly, disconnect (Garena crash), suddenly, can't see a friends game (yay garena). etc etc.

Closed Thread
  Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat