Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:12 AM   #1
kuhph

Default I have a doubt. What is a carry????

The problem is that I speak spanish as my main language but I am having a hard time trying to understand what you people write most of the times, and I dont want to change to dota spanish web page because I like this one

Old 04-30-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
Estraz

Default Re: I have a doubt. What is a carry????
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

A carry is a "hero type", just like support and ganker. The carry "carries" the game. He's basically the one on who you'll have to rely lategame. They're generally itemdependent heroes. Earlygame they're weak, but once they get their farm they'll be almost unstoppable. As a team you really want to defend your carry and make sure he gets the farm he needs.

Examples of carries would be Medusa, Phantom Lancer, Morphling, Faceless Void etc.

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

- M. Gandhi

Old 04-30-2010, 02:40 AM   #3
Nameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estraz View Post
A carry is a "hero type", just like support and ganker. The carry "carries" the game. He's basically the one on who you'll have to rely lategame. They're generally itemdependent heroes. Earlygame they're weak, but once they get their farm they'll be almost unstoppable. As a team you really want to defend your carry and make sure he gets the farm he needs.

Examples of carries would be Medusa, Phantom Lancer, Morphling, Faceless Void etc.
Medusa is a Tank. Also it's a ROLE not a TYPE. Hero Types are AGI,STR and INT type.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
DoubleTimE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Medusa is a Tank. Also it's a ROLE not a TYPE. Hero Types are AGI,STR and INT type.
Medusa, like Necrolyte, is a carry that carries by tanking up. A hero can be bothor not: Axe, for example, is a tank and not a carry. Obviously there are some grey areas, like bristleback, but Medusa is pretty much the definition of a carry: Once she is truely farmed it is gg. Just because her item builds tend to make her very beefy doesn't mean she loses her carry definition.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
mwdiver9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTimE View Post
Medusa, like Necrolyte, is a carry that carries by tanking up. A hero can be bothor not: Axe, for example, is a tank and not a carry. Obviously there are some grey areas, like bristleback, but Medusa is pretty much the definition of a carry: Once she is truely farmed it is gg. Just because her item builds tend to make her very beefy doesn't mean she loses her carry definition.
This is exactly what I was gonna write. Good thing I hit refresh before posting lol. Look at the Ok vs Unique to show how a very very farmed medusa can be overcome.
Its not the training, Asians are born better at video games the same way black people are more athletic. Lewl. At first the Asian elitism in this thread annoyed me, but then I said to myself "meh, they finally found something they're good at, I'll let them enjoy it."

My Favorite Heros.

What this forum makes me do 90% of the time

Old 04-30-2010, 03:35 AM   #6
Jenova-

Even when "carry" is specifically and in general lines what Estraz said, the term is used by extension to any hero capable of dealing a lot of damage and being the one who determines the match, be it in terms of hero killing or damage dealing (v.gr.: "X hero carried that game").

Literally the hero that "carries his team to victory".

Obviously, this is a slang, so don't expect deep etimological and semantical researchs on it. There are and always will be grey zones when using the word, but I think you get the general idea.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:46 AM   #7
Nameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTimE View Post
Her primary role is to be a Tank, secondary being a Carry. Meaning, she's a Semi-Carry.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:54 AM   #8
kuhph

now i understand, thank you, and in that definition i think the phantom lancer is the best carry

Old 04-30-2010, 03:57 AM   #9
aiceball
Banned

Quote:
Her primary role is to be a Tank, secondary being a Carry. Meaning, she's a Semi-Carry.
Disagree.
Semi-Carry is someone who excels at mid game and, depending on how successful mid game was, may carry later on.
Examples are PotM, SF, even Barathrum.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #10
DoubleTimE

Quote:
clearly im not going to change your opinion, but imo medusa's primary role is that of a hard-carry. Unlike a true tank, medusa has no problem if the enemy team doesn't hit her: she doesn't need to soak up damage, she dishes enough out as it is. She is a lot like razor: they include tanky items in their build because it is more effective since they expect to get focused, but the end goal is dealing dmg, not taking it, which both razor and medusa do very well. While it is true lots of medusa's power comes from her mana shield, I would argue that her splitshot combined with her primary agi make her a clear powerhouse carry that just happens to be really really really hard to take down (one of the reasons she is picked/banned so often)

Old 04-30-2010, 04:23 AM   #11
CurseDemon

Carry is basically a role where the team relies on this particular hero and hopes that this hero would bring victory to the team. Carry itself has some types, like tank-carry (medusa,necro,krobelus), hard-carry(TB,Void,Troll,PA), or semi-carry (PotM, SF). They are generally weak early game(not all), but will get stronger at late game.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:58 AM   #12
Shadow Fury
Banned

Suggestion Award 

I could tell you, but I think I'll go with telling you the location of the "Search" button, since everyone's answered it anyway. It's at the top of the page with the other white buttons in a row, just below the big yellow "Forum".

Old 04-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #13
Zangetsu2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhph View Post
I am having a hard time trying to understand what you people write most of the times
Me too /o/

And not because of the language used on the forums >.>

Old 04-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #14
PeGBoY
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu2201 View Post
Me too /o/

And not because of the language used on the forums >.>
That's just your down syndrome trying to work itself out, unfortunately there is no cure.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:42 AM   #15
MyZahir

Lol. Just because he has two roles doesn't he' a semi-type. Like what nameless said, Medusa is a carry and tank, thus he is a semi-carry? Hence Tide is both an Initiator and a roamer, that means he's either a Semi-roamer or a Semi-initiator. Medusa is picked mostly for lategame potential and not for tankiness.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #16
Zangetsu2201

^
^Actually, no matter how hard I tried, I never understood how can a person express even his valid arguments in a manner that makes him look like a retard.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:45 AM   #17
Shadow Fury
Banned

Suggestion Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu2201 View Post
^
^Actually, no matter how hard I tried, I never understood how can a person express even his valid arguments in a manner that makes him look like a retard.
Must be his Down Syndrome acting up.

Geddit? Down? Up?

Old 04-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #18
LightningZLaser

Quote:
How can Medusa be a tank when no one wants to aim her? I dont think even pubs want to aim her first with that mana shield on. Therefore Medusa is a full carry since she has good dps and is always aimed last.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #19
Lazy-Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdiver9 View Post
This is exactly what I was gonna write. Good thing I hit refresh before posting lol. Look at the Ok vs Unique to show how a very very farmed medusa can be overcome.
OK still lost iirc... even if medusa had 5XX creep stats when game ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZLaser View Post
How can Medusa be a tank when no one wants to aim her? I dont think even pubs want to aim her first with that mana shield on. Therefore Medusa is a full carry since she has good dps and is always aimed last.
Look at that very same replay. Medusa gets targeted and taken down first at every team battles, and ridiculously fast.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #20
1nF

Quote:
Medusa semi-carry? ROFL. Nice try, try again.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #21
fr0zenknife

Carry Derp Da Derp, Derp Dee Derpity Derpy Derp. Until One Day, A Derp A Derp A Derp A Derp. Derp Da Derp

Old 04-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #22
5chneemensch

Steam: 5chneemensch

Medusa is a pusher who carrys due her abilitys, IMO

Old 04-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #23
Lycan
Administrator

Steam: Princelycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhph View Post
now i understand, thank you, and in that definition i think the phantom lancer is the best carry
so you want me to close it?

Death is the only true winner of war

Old 04-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #24
Estraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy-Cat View Post
OK still lost iirc... even if medusa had 5XX creep stats when game ended.

Look at that very same replay. Medusa gets targeted and taken down first at every team battles, and ridiculously fast.
I knew people would bring up this replay... which is why I said almost unbeatable =/ This match is dubbed one of the best out there because after being raxed a team managed to beat up a lategame medusa. It's not something you see often... it only shows how powerful she is later on. Anyway, they focused her down with a couple of ultimates (ravage, ghost ship) and a madly farmed potm, not to mention blademail which caused her to hurt herself.

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

- M. Gandhi

Closed Thread
  Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat