Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
syNth

Default How to counter Balanar?

This Saturday I'm having a 3 versus 3 game with a friends. One of them on the opposing team has been talking about using Balanar. Now it's not his imba attack/movespeed or Void, it's his silence I'm so worried about not to mention the 40% miss chance. Now I know all of you must be thinking disables and stuff (we're going for a disabler strategy by the way), but he would just sneak behind at night and silence our main disabler. That would be a lot of pain in the ass.

I'm thinking of playing Nerubian Assassin because that's the only hero I can think of at the moment. Now I have to decide what heroes my teammates should be playing in order to win this match.

So, any thoughts? Counter heroes?

Join Dota-Two, a Dota 2 fansite!

Old 09-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
DrDragun

Default Re: How to counter Balanar?

Balanar is powerful in 3v3. Wait for him to use Void, then use your TP scroll to escape. His fear doesn't block item usage. Invest in wards and don't fight him out on the open map if possible.

Check with the mechanics guys; Abaddon's shield may remove fear, I forget. If not then Omni's repel definitely will.

Last edited by DrDragun; 09-02-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
pipser

Rasta, naix, hmm doom?

There are three kinds of men:
The ones that learn by reading.
The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence.

98% of the forum play the tag game, if you are in the 2% who don't- click here

Old 09-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
HappyCat

Make his laning life shit. NS absolutely needs solo mid for the rune and quick exp advantage, but his lane control is non existant barring last hitting with Void. Pick someone strong like Tinker/SF and make sure he can't farm a single creep during the first day. This has a great multiplier effect since his first night will be adversely affected, and it is during the first night that Balanar is at his strongest.

Wards are good too to deny his hp/mana regen from Bottle especially since he tower dives a lot.

NA is a really good soft counter. NS isn't exactly the smartest hero around. A Necronomicon helps too since they can also scout where he is hiding. Off the top of my head other good counters include LoA for his debuff removing Shield or even Omni for Repel. Or since it's a 3v3 pray they lack aoe, pick Brood and push down his towers mid lane.

Anyways, I'd be glad they picked NS instead of Bloodseeker for silencing.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
syNth

We could work with any hero actually, it's just that at night he would be abusing his silence and render an important hero of ours useless.

But Doom sounds viable, it's just a matter who silences who first. Thanks for the suggestion pipser

EDIT: Thanks for the tip, HappyCat. I wouldn't worry about mid/late game if we reach it without any problems, but it's the early game that worries me the most. Omni could work if only he is not silenced first or he has adequate mana; which he does not at early game.

Last edited by syNth; 09-02-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
m0by

rofl guys.. Any setup can pwn balanar.. Just pwn him early game.
If its a 3 lane 3v3 game, get viper / silencer / chantress..
You will really assrape them early game, and if they leave their lanes to gank, you will get crazy free farm.
Just pwn the Lasthits / denies, and you will easy win midgame, and lategame because of item advantage.. In Dota You can't really counter anyone with heroes, its more about the grind and the items... i hate the fact that heroes can counter eachother.. so sad..
get your early games and pwn them..

Old 09-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
IAmTheSpoon

Anyone who can make his early game suck.
Any disabler/stunner before he gets BKB.
TP scroll. Pwnt.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
syNth

I've played Balanar a lot and I know what it his early game is. Stay way back during the first day, only farming with Void and the occasional last hits. But that doesn't matter, as long as he is able to farm up boots and a couple of bracers before night comes, he could own in the night with his void and silence.

The only thing that bothers me the most is the fact that he could render our most important hero useless for up to 8 seconds.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
doomsheep

Old 09-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
Treant

^ That.

Just like anyone else here, make his laning life a hell. And since when Guinsoo can be silence?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
syNth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treant View Post
^ That.

Just like anyone else here, make his laning life a hell. And since when Guinsoo can be silence?
I don't think acquiring Guinsoo at early game is possible. Just like I said, I'm only worried about early game here, where clickable items are rare and the skills of the heroes are prominent.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
doomsheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by syNth View Post
I don't think acquiring Guinsoo at early game is possible. Just like I said, I'm only worried about early game here, where clickable items are rare and the skills of the heroes are prominent.
viper, vengeful, rexxar, sf.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #13
DrDragun

If he's solo mid then he can use the hill to hide+void hit creeps and tower hug. Kind of plays like mortred. Crappy, but enough to survive even against a viper, and if you pull a man in to gank him then another lane is free farming. Still if you limit his farm enough and he sucks enough first night, then he is basically out of the game.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #14
pipser

Thats why dota is 5v5, not 3v3.

There are three kinds of men:
The ones that learn by reading.
The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence.

98% of the forum play the tag game, if you are in the 2% who don't- click here

Old 09-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
syNth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipser View Post
Thats why dota is 5v5, not 3v3.
Loads of 4v4, 3v3, 2v2, and 1v1 official tourneys out there.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #16
hajasmarci

Broodmother?

Old 09-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #17
MurazorOFAngmar

Any kind of disable will screw him over big time. also try Viper if it's a 3v3, the slow and DpS from him should really bother Balanar.

Us.East

Dota since 2002 - RoC -
Warcraft since 1997

Old 09-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #18
mrmemories

Omniknight. use repel before he slience you.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #19
ian

naix would raaaape him.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #20
Fettkuken

The silence isn't really a problem if you just throw the most important spells first, and he really should have problems running to silence your main caster if he stays abit behind a couple of disable heroes like Atropos.
Say you pick Atropos, Broodmother and Crixalis. If he silences Broodmother, Brood can't use his ulti or nuke, but both Atropos can easily keep Bala under controll with sleep and then Crix can Epicenter, so when Balanar wakes up he has a epicenter on his ass + Broodmother is unsilenced. If he silences Atropos, Brood and Crix can still take out one of them while Atropos is silenced because of the lifesteal and stun/epi, and Atropos can later sleep one and ulti another so you isolate them nicely. Lastly, silence Crix and Atropos can again just sleep Balanar or another hero while Crix waits to be "unsilenced" + Brood can wreak havoc.

Also remember that the silence is quite short in the early lvls, so it won't be very effective untill lvl 9+ if he wants to max void and nightstalker.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #21
NHP54

NS is a pub hero, so I really don't know what the big deal is when you consider how he needs to wait until night to be somewhat of a threat. And the fact that it is 3v3 makes it even easier to know when NS is going to try ganking.

Check out my hero suggestion.

Goliath the Guardian Golem

Old 09-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #22
NFO.zez

His Overpowered in night!!
No one can touch him at night!!
Balanar grants :
75% IAS
35% IMS
4 sec slow spell
8 sec silence spell
40% to miss an attack spell
What more do you need than above thing??
Just dont stay close to him on night!!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #23
Jack-B-Quick

As previously stated here, you need either a lane control hero or a harasser to dominate him early game. Personally, I've found Huskar can be extremely effective for doing it. Just burning spear his butt off.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #24
EternityPala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian View Post
naix would raaaape him.
QFT +1.
Also, carry a TP scroll around, and TP when he voids you, and you think you're in trouble.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #25
Milli

His Overpowered in night!!
No one can touch him at night!!
Balanar grants :

75% IAS
35% IMS
4 sec slow spell
8 sec silence spell
40% to miss an attack spell

What more do you need than above thing??
Just dont stay close to him on night!!
- Gameflow suggestion for Flying Courier
- Icon suggestion for Elder Dragon Form

Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #26
djrd1100

I guess a short list of heroes to counter NS. I guess Axe is the biggest problem because even when he is low in hp it takes alot to kill him. Also if he gets NS low enough he could die.. I think Lycan isnt so bad because his wolves will destroy a lane with NS and if he gets to level 6 he can run away from him. I think Syllabear is a good counter how you can do anything about his bear and hes probably just as annoying as NS early game.

I was thinking about Panda how he also has a slow and spell that slows and misses. He can also ult if hes low so either you dont die or you see if NS stays around and might get a kill. Im just not sure if he waits till your ult is over to attack you but hopefully you hurt him enough that he doesnt stick around. I think if your good with Bristle he might be able to tank whatever NS throws at him but i wouldnt push too far because you need to stay close to tower at night to be sure.

I think Enchant could be good because of your heal and untouchable but hes pretty low on hp but still would do alot better in a lane then NS. I think Batrider could be good because he has good stats early on and he cant chase you with Firefly which you should be able to use after you tank whatever damage he does. Necro'lic/Visage is also pretty good because all your revenants will be attacking him while he chases you. You would just need some hp items early on because his hp is pretty low. Dark Seer would be a pretty fun hero how he can hopefully save anyone that NS is chasing with surge as well as have a strong lane.

I see the main problem vs NS is having low starting hp because he can just nuke/wack/nuke and ur dead. Hes still tough but as long as you dont die right away to his combo you can end up probably surviving whatever he does. He also isnt that good of a pusher until night so you will have the ability to tower hug to help with his attacks.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:21 AM   #27
dtnmang

Just gank him and you'll be fine.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #28
SirIsaacNewton

If NS solo, you should pick someone to lane control the crap out of him. If he go to dual lane he wouldn't be at sufficient level by first night.
If you are playing EM I suggests you pick NS first because he is the best hero at EM mode,

Closed Thread
  Defense of the Ancients Game Strategy