Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Pantera_1

Default Slark's item build?

This are the common items i seen with slark. Is it a good build?

Power tread: gives cheap attack speed which slark needs. the problem is which type? I mostly go for str tread since you badly need hp.

I feel vanguard is a neccessity on slark because of his paper hp. But slark isn;t a tanker, he's killer. he has invisibility and leap. is skipping vanguard good?

Ok, mom is one of the best item for slark cost wise. It synergize well with essence, and that extra damage is neglected because of your ulti. But what if the enemy gets a gem? Mom would make you a super super glass cannon?

Allows slark to kills a target easily because of his high attack speed. But isn;t it too focus on a single target? it's 5 vs 5 after all. not 1 vs 1

It gives slark the disable that he needs. the void stone can be purchased early in the game. since slark has hp regen and if he has a void stone, he would not need to return to the fountain. however, it gives a paltry 10 damage, 10% attck speed only. Although it's surprisingly effective even as a first item for slark.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
TheAmerican

Default Re: Slark's item build?
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

MoM is stupid on most heroes and that includes Slark. He is already fragile and relies on an invisibility as a survival skill with MoM? Too risky no thanks.
Vanguard is meh, Slark should be ganking a lot. Guinsoo looks pro and is always good but there are more optimal items. Armlet/SY/Diffusal are a couple good items for him. Personally I'm rushing Basher because he is a ganker/single target DPS hero. Getting more hits in boosts DPS a lot. I've been skipping Death Pact lately and just get a level for dispell, getting stats earlier. Wand/Strength Treads/Basher/PMS is generally how I build him it works pretty well.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Pantera_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaNK_FaN View Post
MoM is stupid on most heroes and that includes Slark. He is already fragile and relies on an invisibility as a survival skill with MoM? Too risky no thanks.
Vanguard is meh, Slark should be ganking a lot. Guinsoo looks pro and is always good but there are more optimal items. Armlet/SY/Diffusal are a couple good items for him. Personally I'm rushing Basher because he is a ganker/single target DPS hero. Getting more hits in boosts DPS a lot. I've been skipping Death Pact lately and just get a level for dispell, getting stats earlier. Wand/Strength Treads/Basher/PMS is generally how I build him it works pretty well.
Mom is stupid on most heroes, but until the enemies buy a gem (very unlikely in pub, competitive games are unrelevent since you rarely see slark), it's one of the best item for slark. it's as good as on void. Armlet is trash on agi heroes and you won;t regen in battle. diffusal is awesome on him because of the slow and dps. Death pact is great because it aids you greatly in your farming and is your only nuke. maxing it allows you to kill more easily too. the thing with basher as your second main item after tread is you'll be lacking attck speed initially without mom. therefore bash won;t proc as much.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
GoD_Tyr

I recently tried some stuff with him. Considering orbs, I find diffusal the best cost/efficiency wise. Later adding Manta and Basher will make you killing machine (stat removal+mana burn is way too powerful - which certainly includes images).

Otherwise, he already got awesome regeneration with his ultimate passive effect. I`d say that power treads (str version) should do well, along the Poor Man`s shield and perhaps 2 wraiths. He is a fragile hero, and spending money in tanking damage won`t make him more efficient in ganging and killing - where this hero excels.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Pantera_1

slark needs mana regen since he already has hp regen. which mana regen item should i normally go?

1. void stone which can be ubgraded to guinsoo or linken or fury?

2. Ring ob basilius which can be ungraded to vlad?

3. bottle or wand?

4. Soulring?

5. Combination of both or triple? list out.

5. no mana regen item is neccesary? lolz...
Old 05-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Zagrief

bottle w/crow or basilius not soul ring slarks way too paper @_@
Old 05-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
beard

I try to get as much HP as possible on slark so he can tank nukes and gank early.
It worked pretty well for me since pounce - whack - death pact combo is enough to bypass nukes and rape everyone.

pms, wand, str treads, vanguard/hood, then build whatever luxury is needed, manta/diffusal are great choices. You never die with manta style and you never miss kills with diffusal purge.

I have a slight problem with mana though, he needs 200+ worth of mana for every gank and wand doesn't cover it well enough. I can't swap to int treads either because he is paper, even early stats doesn't help. What is a cheap solution for early game mana?
Old 05-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
BrightEyes

pt on agi, mom, basher, butterfly ftw
Old 05-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Estraz

Can always get a sobi mask/ring of basilius and upgrade to vlads if you feel like it, for some additional mana. The main thing slark needs is some beef so he can actually stay around without getting instagibbed, and have a total hp pool that is worth regenerating to. Vanguard is an option, although the regeneration is somewhat wasted. You could just go for a simple vitality booster and be done with it there.

I find SnY a good item on slark, simply because it gives him some beef along with damage/attackspeed. Ofcourse the speed is great as well because with treads (which you should be getting as it's +190hp, as well as attackspeed for faster draining), you're not quite fast enough. Sure you get the mass boost when nobody sees you, but you have to at least be able to get out of sight.

Wand is good on any hero and slark is no exception, and helps with your mana. For some early cheap damage/protection, you could get a poor man's shield. I think that's about the core of slark the way I'd build him (I don't play him a whole lot, though).

In short:
Poor man's shield
Magic wand
Power treads
Vitality Booster
Sange & Yasha
Vladmirs Offering (get the sobi or RoB early on a bit of extra mana)

If necessary you can build some cheap stats items (bracers/wraiths, or if you're really desperate for mana, even nulls). I don't think it's necessary though, as the 6 items above already fill up your inventory and aren't worth sacrificing for low-end stats items.

Edit: If you have gold to spare afterwards, here are some options:
vitality booster -> heart of tarrasque
poor man's shield -> butterfly (also gives protection against physical damage)
magic wand -> whatever the hell you feel you need. Possibly basher.

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

- M. Gandhi
Old 05-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
theagg

I usually get urn on him, uses it as an extra nuke on my enemies or heal any1 in the lane I'm ganking after the kill. This gives me enogh mana reg, with a wand too. Slard isn't really that mana heavy.

item build is
PMS
str treads
urn
wand
vit
either I go straight to heart from here, or I get a hyper stone if we are winning. I change PMS or urn to a tp scroll if I go hyper stone.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
kurru

StReNgTh PowEr TrEads
C0UplE [B]RacErZ
WaNd Of ImBaChaARg3ž
Bl4cK King[// BaR
Old 05-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
iKrivetko

Stop being pussies and start rushing Skadi
Old 05-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #13
PI-Dimension

MoM isn't bad on him: he's going to die extremely quickly anyways...

AGI Treads, MoM, Hyperstone ftw...
Old 05-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #14
Kodakgee

I also think urn is useful on slark for the str, mana regen, and nuke/heal.
I've been getting vanguard, but maybe I'll just opt for PMS instead.
I've been getting SnY and it has been allright so far.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:16 AM   #15
da_j0sephz

pms
boots
stick
str treads
sange
yasha
sange and yasha

then
(get heart first if bkb isnt that important)(get gem if enemies have invis or have sentries placed. you can get sentries to antiward
bkb
heart
talisman of evasion
butter
Old 05-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #16
SlayerII

mom+bkb=win =)

build:
treads(str,agi while healing,int when mana suddenly is empty)
wand
vit
bacers
gg branch(to bkb or MOM)
gg branch (to MoM or bkb)

if MOM is to risky just quarterstaff

vit to heart later
bracers to dependOnGameItem(mkb vs evasion blind for example,or linkens if bkb seems not to be neough)

urn should be carried by someone else, but could be used
same with bottle

MoM to butter later(shouldnt happen)
Old 05-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #17
PeGBoY
Banned

I just said in another thread that S&Y absolutely fucking sucks but Slark is one of the few heroes I would actually consider getting it on. That said, Skadi is actually the best item for him because it covers all of his weakness.

I find vanguard/hood to be shit on him because the regen is entirely useless. If you go that route then PMS/BKB is so much better.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #18
da_j0sephz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeGBoY View Post
I just said in another thread that S&Y absolutely fucking sucks but Slark is one of the few heroes I would actually consider getting it on. That said, Skadi is actually the best item for him because it covers all of his weakness.

I find vanguard/hood to be shit on him because the regen is entirely useless. If you go that route then PMS/BKB is so much better.
true. that said, if you are doing poorly or need bkb asap, you can get sange then follow up with other core items instead off completing sny
Old 05-15-2010, 02:36 AM   #19
leeoku

pms+str treads+ wand+vit booster is core. u dont need regen on van
Old 05-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #20
Blarrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeGBoY View Post

In theory, yes skadi is amazing for him. But incredibly hard to farm at the same time. If you can really farm it decently, go for it. Otherwise I just stick with str treads, bracers, diffusal... then manta/bfly/heart as luxury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damN_Grave View Post
Blarrg is awesome
Old 05-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #21
Faek

Armlet wins games. You can't really die unless they have 20 seconds worth of disable. My build
PMS>Wand>Ptreads(str, usually)>Armlet/BKB>Armlet/BKB>anything, really, but Satanic sounds promising.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #22
Ritmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera_1 View Post
Mom is stupid on most heroes, but until the enemies buy a gem (very unlikely in pub, competitive games are unrelevent since you rarely see slark), it's one of the best item for slark. it's as good as on void. Armlet is trash on agi heroes and you won;t regen in battle. diffusal is awesome on him because of the slow and dps. Death pact is great because it aids you greatly in your farming and is your only nuke. maxing it allows you to kill more easily too. the thing with basher as your second main item after tread is you'll be lacking attck speed initially without mom. therefore bash won;t proc as much.
No. MoM is the lamest item in dota. You should get Mjoll for attack speed.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #23
HermitKrabs

Early Survivability, such as PMS, Vitality booster, Hood of defiance (Regen is wasted, but burst damage especially fucks up slark), Str Treads, wand

Late game: Yasha-> Manta, Diffusal, Bkb/Heart.

Focus on survivability early on, later when essence shift begins to weaken, switch priority more towards damage.

In battle, use ult, focus on one person, when ult ends, use manta. The stolen stats during your ult transfer to your illusions. With the extra attack speed from essence shift, you and your illusions burn mana faster.

Slark has low mana costs, so a wand+diffusal is usually sufficient
Old 05-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #24
TehMoep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarrg View Post
In theory, yes skadi is amazing for him. But incredibly hard to farm at the same time. If you can really farm it decently, go for it. Otherwise I just stick with str treads, bracers, diffusal... then manta/bfly/heart as luxury.
He can farm pretty good with dark pact actually, but he shouldnt be farming in early-mid when he excels at ganking imo.

AOE POISON DESO BUGS OF INSANITY !!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Stream View Post
"STFU, noob" if an enemy should this quote, I ignored him temporaily.

Iff he is dead, I took off my pant and slap my penis at the screen part where showing his corpse.

Satisfied
Old 05-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #25
Miguelin11

treads, domi and a couple of wraiths with ethereal as a luxury
Old 05-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #26
hadess-

Slark is so fragile..if you wanna go Mom on him rush Bkb next or the disablers on your enemy team (if any) will disable the crap out of you..if there is only 1 disabler dont need bkb since u can use dc before they try to disable you ..then after that get ethereal Blade..
Or u can always go treads, s&y, vladmirs, then ethereal blade..
Old 05-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #27
JaNmAyKeL

Starting Items: 3 GG Branches,Stout Shield,Tango & Salve

Core Items: Wand, PMS,Wraith, PT, S&Y/Diffusal

Situational Follow-up Core Items: Armlet, BKB, VG/HOD, Manta Style & Basher

Luxury Items: AC, Bfly & Orchid
Last edited by JaNmAyKeL; 05-15-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #28
PudgePie

LOL...MoM sucks...Just rush Diffusual and basher...Or SnY >.< for atack speed just get a hyper stone if needed ;O.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #29
Moja

Early items: treads, stick, basilius, ogre axe x2
Mid-late items: treads, stick, basilius, sny, bkb

Stick (not wand), and basilius take care of his mana needs. The rest is survival.

Farming midgame is a waste of his huge ganking ability, and with his stat gain he is a very subpar carry. +30 str from treads and axes make him very hard to kill midgame, while essence shift can still get you kills.

If you can't gank at all midgame, speedfarm a skadi and try to carry. But good luck against real carries...

In almost every game, bkb is a necessity by late mid-game.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #30
kawumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeoku View Post
pms+str treads+ wand+vit booster is core. u dont need regen on van
this, additionally i like to get a bottle; the hp-regen might seem wasted, its actually not though - you can use it during ulti and for burst heals in fog etc. slark is a great runewhore and needs quite some mana to pwn and get some farm at the same time. afterwards diffu/sny/manta/basher, its really all good; MoM is for games that you already won by picks, incredibly risky. if you wanna rice like a lamo replace vitbooster with pointbooster for skadi, that being said slark does NOT need skadi even if it is a great item on him, he should get ganking at 6/7 asap and only stop to pact some creeps in between.
/thread
epic

Old 05-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #31
Mazoku

Quote:
He can farm pretty good with dark pact actually, but he shouldnt be farming in early-mid when he excels at ganking imo.
He can Gank + farm neutrals while he waits for the kill (farming incredibly better than most gankers, POTM, Pudge for example while netting lots of kills).
Imo:
If you are doing great rush skady + str PT.
If you are doing OK, go for point boster and ogre axe and wait what happens, if geting raped by disables go bkb, if you are raping every time even harder get skady.
If you are doing REALY BAD get sange n yasha, cheap components paired up with slark farming potential will ensure you complete this item 100% sure, although the maim is unrelible and the other bonuses are just mediocre.

In all cases slarks need more hp pool so you need to buy "yes or yes" at least 1 item that grants at least hp (i recomend skady, sange+yasha, bkb).
Other items like vanguard (the regen + block aint neded mid game) or HoT( the regen gets totaly wasted) are not recomended.

Mom is just a crapy item on slark, he canot aford by any means the 30% plus in damage as he will die to one finger of death... Your invis does not makes you invulnerable to AOE damage and it does not last long enough.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #32
DopeDeDarkô

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmerican View Post
But dude getting dps in a single fight doesn't mom and basher do great than ur suggestions? armlet is good ya true. but sy takes time to get farmed, i dont think its great. Get mjolnir and vlad with basher + BF will seal the deal.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #33
Scyfex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeDeDarkô View Post
But dude getting dps in a single fight doesn't mom and basher do great than ur suggestions? armlet is good ya true. but sy takes time to get farmed, i dont think its great. Get mjolnir and vlad with basher + BF will seal the deal.
MoM lasts 12 seconds, stealth lasts 5.5. Never, ever get MoM on him.

Vlads is useless on him too, but if you skip that your build sounds fine.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #34
aestropher

MoM is actually decent if enemies lack burst and stunlocks.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #35
Audio88

eye of skadi only item to build on slark.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #36
SanKakU

it might be easier for you guys to just visit my thread.
http://www.playdota.com/forums/showp...40&postcount=4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera_1 View Post
This are the common items i seen with slark. Is it a good build?

Power tread: gives cheap attack speed which slark needs. the problem is which type? I mostly go for str tread since you badly need hp.
there's no need to stick to str, you can swap it between attributes, each attribute bonus is useful at one time or another. this boots is the recommended one. as for slark, building it with belt is preferred...however some heroes such as vengeful spirit or drow ranger might sometimes prefer to build it with the +6 agi item, but as of yet there is no agi power treads item that you can access to the shop so we have to manually put in that +6 agi item...problem is i don't know the code name for it D: so i just put in alacrity blade and i click it, click yasha, and THEN click the +6 agi item...which takes too long....

I feel vanguard is a neccessity on slark because of his paper hp. But slark isn;t a tanker, he's killer. he has invisibility and leap. is skipping vanguard good?
ya i skip it. it's up to you. it serves many slark players very well, however...you need to stack up +str items most of the time if you are not getting it, that, or make a bloodstone. it's your decision but it's not a recommended item in my book, but it's fine, nothing wrong with it, just get the ring of health last because it's the least important component.

Ok, mom is one of the best item for slark cost wise. It synergize well with essence, and that extra damage is neglected because of your ulti. But what if the enemy gets a gem? Mom would make you a super super glass cannon?
what you should be concerned about it a lot of aoe spells that can damage you in your ultimate. other than that, it's a situational item. you can see that in my list i have a note that explains when you'd want to buy it.

Allows slark to kills a target easily because of his high attack speed. But isn;t it too focus on a single target? it's 5 vs 5 after all. not 1 vs 1
well the belt offers hp, and for the passive chance to stun and bonus damage, the extra 2500 gold is quite the bargain. think of it as potentially increasing the length of your leash time. that, or you can get it against heroes that can escape and/or kill you if you do not stun them. this item is quite honestly a hundred times better than black king bar for slark.

It gives slark the disable that he needs. the void stone can be purchased early in the game. since slark has hp regen and if he has a void stone, he would not need to return to the fountain. however, it gives a paltry 10 damage, 10% attck speed only. Although it's surprisingly effective even as a first item for slark.
just buy abyssal, imo. that item can work, it's quite good. but it's got an awful buildup. not recommended, but it's not all bad. an orchid would actually provide far superior damage output(as would abyssal blade) and give a similar result. orchid also has a much better buildup.
responses colored.

"although the maim is unrelible and the other bonuses are just mediocre."
that is just not true. when a target is stuck in your leash, you can pretty much guarantee they're going to get maimed, unless they somehow manage to avoid getting attacked by you. also, the bonuses are fine. the +ms is useful while you are seen, and who doesn't like +dmg and the +atk spd is very good for slark's essence shift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaNmAyKeL View Post
Starting Items: 3 GG Branches,Stout Shield,Tango & Salve

Core Items: Wand, PMS,Wraith, PT, S&Y/Diffusal

Situational Follow-up Core Items: Armlet, BKB, VG/HOD, Manta Style & Basher

Luxury Items: AC, Bfly & Orchid
you shouldn't need salve unless you're doing something crazy like backlaning(fighting between the first 2 towers of your opponents in your assigned lane) with axe(which is VERY VERY effective with slark). replace that with extra gold which you can use to get your wand or whatever(still going to suggest vladmir's offering, but you don't need lifesteal every game ) faster.

further, manta style is far better than bkb on slark. try to get bkb only if you absolutely must because most of the time, manta style is good enough and is completely superior in terms of damage output. even vladmir's offering is an item that is much cheaper and usually mitigates plenty of damage while offering enormous DPS output when compared to BKB. you should only buy BKB if you're getting stunlocked or are in danger of being stunlocked because otherwise, you can always buy bloodstone and/or vladmir's offering to help keep you alive. if the aoe damage is so monstrous that not even bloodstone/vlads can save you, then by all means get a BKB(or even better just get a satanic!)...but why wouldn't you try to bait out spells with manta style? is a lot more fun...
commends are valves trick to put the player into the noobteams. there they can teach, lead, forgive and be friendly to the noobs
Last edited by SanKakU; 11-17-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #37
Mcspecht123
Banned

no idea why people mention armlet on agi heroes who could be way better with other items like bkb..
Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #38
sumthingsup

armlet is good on people who absolutely know how to abuse it.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #39
Exhumed

Armlet instead of MoM, gg wp
Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #40
1Frame_Dynamism

Armlet is fine, though I personally wouldn't look to getting it early, only getting it after Manta/other key items as an extension, makes the illusions funner too.

Necrobook is good on him.
  Defense of the Ancients Game Strategy