Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
mustin98

Default Techies Item Build

I like getting an aghanims as fast as i can as a first item, and then a euls or guinsoos.
Which item build do you prefer with techies?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
PudgePie

Default Re: Techies Item Build
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Void stone and travelz...Then the cool farm starts and guinsoo maybe. Eul's is rly cool too ^^
Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Skaloon
Banned

bkb
Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
leeoku

assuming u picked techies, start with tp+soul ring recipe+3 branches+rest in clars. rush a soul ring. if u feel like it go for boots. Usually i can rush a sheep fast since tech owns at killing creeps+random hero kills/assists. After that i go BoT,aghs. by this point game should be over. if not, go like nec/shiva
Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
.Budi

Steam: .Budi

soul ring + arcane. rest is luxury.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
JimRaynor55

Courier
Boots
Soul Ring
Arcane Ring
Scrolls and Sentry Wards
Force Staff (if team is losing and I need to turtle) and/or Guinsoo (preferable, if winning)

Luxury:
Boots of Travel
Aghanim

Goblin Techies
Pit Lord
Old 05-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
Soth

screw all tp's everyone is talking about, screw the clarity pots aswell.
soul ring recipe, mantel of int, sobi mask, get your ass to the lane, farm 300 with mines soulring done.
2-3 nulls, PT(int), Agha. Must build. don't listen to anyone else.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
STR1D3R

lol @ soth, tp + clarities is almost guaranteed FB and maybe double FB, much faster soulring.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
PeGBoY
Banned

Dagger->Suicide or -repick.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #10
Soth

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR1D3R View Post
lol @ soth, tp + clarities is almost guaranteed FB and maybe double FB, much faster soulring.
In a pub, sure.
In a mid game, sure.
High Level, hell no.

In either case, it's a waste of money. And you won't really get it much faster, mine is guaranteed, yours is dependent on the situation.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #11
TurtleLord

In high level its wand bottle vanguard BKB.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #12
Xerx

Don't ask the forum there's lots of bad advice. Just follow what the pros get like kuroky. Get Helm of dominator quarterstaff then ogre axe then maybe make a dagon after that. Oh and boots. Hope i halped.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:26 AM   #13
Night1301

soulring/arcane to start for your mana supply

then get eul/sceptre/force/hex, which ever you like, they always a good thing

i dont suggest phase boots for him, yes it does gave damage, but travel is better imo, well it's not like techies needs boots really bad anyway

Click Remilia for my Touhou albums, and here for Touhou doujins.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
Morbius

I personally go soul ring and then forcestaff and then stack divine rapiers.

Soth, low level tactics will be more effective for anyone who has to ask advice on the forums.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:30 AM   #15
Knight

voidstones. . . that will spam your bombs =)
Old 05-18-2010, 03:57 AM   #16
JimRaynor55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
screw all tp's everyone is talking about, screw the clarity pots aswell.
soul ring recipe, mantel of int, sobi mask, get your ass to the lane, farm 300 with mines soulring done.
2-3 nulls, PT(int), Agha. Must build. don't listen to anyone else.
If you start out like that you won't be buying the Courier for your team. I think that Techies can and should support, because of his combination of low item dependence (aside from mana regen) and excellent farming.

What is the benefit of multiple Null Talismans? For mana they're not cost or space efficient. As time went on and more items were added to this game, Bracers/Null became weaker and weaker.

Null is 485 gold, 3 Nulls are 1,455 gold. That's just 245 gold cheaper than Arcane Ring. But Arcane gives you +410 max mana (immediate activation after first spell cast) compared to 234 mana from 3 Nulls (as well as much better mana regen that can also help teammates), and only takes up 1 item slot.

Even if you don't want to spend 1,700 gold on Arcane (which is still cost efficient for pure mana, and Techies can expend enough mana to make that worthwhile), you could just go Magic Wand instead for far better performance than Null. Small stat items like Null are just outdated now.

Intel Treads is +10 intel (+130 mana) and +10 damage for an additional 950 gold over normal Boots. Is +10 damage and 25% IAS really relevant on Techies? Treads also prevents you from upgrading to Boots of Travel, which can help a lot with late game pushing.

If you compare a 2 Null + Intel Treads build to an Arcane + regular Boots build, the guy who went Arcane will have 124 more mana and an extra available item slot for 220 less gold. If it's 3 Nulls + Intel Treads, then the guy who went Arcane would have 46 more mana and 2 more available item slots, for 705 less gold.

He would have less damage of course. But 2 Nulls + Intel Treads = +22 damage, which just lets Techies break even with the normal hero (assuming that normal hero doesn't build for big DPS or even get stat items for his primary attribute) given Techies' -20 or -25 disadvantage in starting damage. And Techies has so many more options during a fight other than physically attacking, such as using a farmed Guinsoo, throwing a Remote Mine (2.5 second channeling), or running in to melee range for Land Mine/Stasis/Suicide (any or all of those spells). All of these spells (except for the Hex) have big payoffs but take time to cast, and thus interfere with normal ranged attacks unlike other heroes' spells that can be dumped out in a second.

Because of these reasons I just don't see the point in buying small stat or damage items on Techies.

TP + Clarity is worth it IMO even in higher level games. Of course you're not getting instant First Blood in the lane if your opponents are on to you and make sure to scout/occupy the spot first thing. It's about making full use of your time though, because Techies unlike other heroes can produce things at any time he wants and reap the rewards later (unlike any other hero who is just wasting mana if they cast without a target). If you don't stack mines in the lane for FB, you can stack it at a lane's side entrance, a ramp, or even in a path in the middle of the woods. Doing those things can either get you a kill, or at least a stopped gank later in the game. The enemy cannot possibly occupy every conceivable spot in the game, on your side of the map.

Goblin Techies
Pit Lord
Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 AM   #17
The Lord God

I would agree with every thing Jim Raynor has said, and throw in the fact that I never forget to make Soul Ring as one of my first items on Techies.

However, my play style is quite a bit varied from a normal Techies play style.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #18
plzonlygame

clairities, soul ring recipe, TP scroll

attempt FB

ring of regen first if aggresive lane, otherwise sobi first

finish soul ring

boots

euls

travels

force staff if you suspect they will get a gem

scepter

hex

heart

I'm not a great fan of arcane ring on him. By the time you have euls, you will be getting the same or more mana per second that arcane provides but euls scales better into lategame and has the nifty active.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #19
Rivirland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerx View Post
Don't ask the forum there's lots of bad advice. Just follow what the pros get like kuroky. Get Helm of dominator quarterstaff then ogre axe then maybe make a dagon after that. Oh and boots. Hope i halped.
erm... Nothing wrong with Quarteraxe of the Dominator!!

Try clarities, tp scroll and a branch and quickly go to your hard lane (their safe lane), put 4 bombs and get the branch on the floor. Usually, they'll pick up the branch and die to the bombs
Old 05-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #20
MaDuiN

I just played a game with Techies, who actually carried

He 1st tp'd to forest-side forest, got the early fb with hes 3 mines, nad I think he just bought clarities 24/7 and staff of wizardy as 1st item. Then I guess he bought 2 sobi masks, and made aghanims in 17min. Proceed to Orchid by level 14, which was around 30ish minute. He made boots somewhere there, propably after staff+point booster.

Later with agha+orchid he just mass-spammed remotes to farm everything, got himself BoT and kept on farming moer. Think he gone for MKB after that, and Crystalys. He made buriza and started BKB, and game ended :< This was at 60ish minute.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #21
IQTwin

I prefer building techies toward a lategame teambattler, instead of a minespammer early so I'll end up underfarmed and underleveled.

Aghs, BoT, Guinsoo is my core, with that I will be able to mine as much as I like when the time comes, and before that I generally use 2 nulls for easier lasthitting + some mana. Don't really get manaregen early on, I only need it for the occasional Stun trap + Mines at towers.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #22
Soth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
I personally go soul ring and then forcestaff and then stack divine rapiers.

Soth, low level tactics will be more effective for anyone who has to ask advice on the forums.
lol, really? "Low level tactics", you make me laugh dude. I possibly owned more people with techies than you will in your lifetime.

touche ray. But we both know that our builds and playstyle differ alot from eachother.

With the PT(int), you will not only get the needed movement speed, but also the Int, so a perfect item for techies, imo. The Nulls serve as a little hp boost and mana boost, this is to give techies a little surviveability. You don't need a arcane ring anymore, since you basically don't run out of mana with soul ring. I'm used to getting 3 nulls though, fast to farm and good for the hero. Like i mentioned above, you need some hp to survive in the lane, or do you want to be stuck somewhere, unable to gain experience, or do you hope that someone will die from your mines?

The nulls are transition items, you can sell them later on, the more items you get. When you have the 3 nulls, get the point booster asap, and you should have around 1k hp and 1k mana. Not bad for a hero who seems to be an easy kill.

All in all it depends how you want to play techies. Since for every playstyle there is a different build, even though i was trying to be sarcastic in my post i guess that didnt work. :P

Anyway, i have played so many techies games that i can hardly count them, my build payed out the best for my playstyle, with a very high success rate. And i tried every build possible for techies...
Old 05-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #23
mustin98

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeGBoY View Post
Dagger->Suicide or -repick.
amen. lol i actually saw a techies do this and went on a 7 kill spree because of an idiot weaver that thought he was unkillable
Old 05-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #24
Subway

@ SNOW TOAD

Change your avatar dude!! Google images ..

Boots and Cyclone for me are core. Sure I can name high tier items but in all practicality these two are choice. To be effective you need to be everywhere. These items grant high mobility and Cyclone's active allows you to run away instead of another fail suicide. BoT is best, but I prefer Treads for the stat gain.

Force Staff is forcing usefulness where there is little.
Sheep is good on every hero lol...

Old 05-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #25
Super-sheep
Banned

dps techie is also possible

orchid -> treads -> deso -> mkb and something like that
Old 05-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #26
Subway

^I wanted to do this yesterday but got confused how to put it together. Now I see I forgot about Orchids. I was mid cyclone build and bought a Javelin (MKB) and eventually sold cuz it was NOT helping lol.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #27
darewin

aghanims so you won't mind enemies buying wards, wards, and gem
Old 05-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #28
darewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-sheep View Post
dps techie is also possible

orchid -> treads -> deso -> mkb and something like that
yes and you will lose to a troll with treads and HotD on a rigth clicking battle
Old 05-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #29
greenspleen

depends on your playstyle, lol......
if you rush into your enemies and suicide, then force staff/blink would do nicely
if you prefer to lay mines and wait in your base and detonate them.... aghanims, mana regen (perseverance, guinsoo)

But always get boots. BoT wins

Old 05-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #30
Qnznbl

You should always buy courier. Also i was surprised how good Sould ring is on Techies. It is quite cheaper then arcane and has a shorter cooldown + it provides you more mana.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #31
Subway

lol darewin. Why the scenario Techie vs Troll? Techies understand they don't excel in 1v1 combat whereas battle techie can sit in the back and still fill his niche while providing consistent heavy damage with his FAR FAR away ranged attack/remotes.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #32
JimRaynor55

Hey, I just wanna make some suggestions. And I don't think we really differ that much, we both use Suicide but I just use it a lot more

I think Techies can exceed Soul Ring alone, if mines are spammed every time the cooldown is finished. Techies can cast any time his spells are available because as I said before, he gets the benefits later so he should produce as many mines as he can. Techies can potentially spend more than 565 mana every 12 seconds, and this is considering just level 1 Remote Mine. That's insane mana usage, and furthermore Soul Ring is a drain on your hitpoints. But Soul Ring + Arcane, the two best pure mana items in the game, can support all-out Techies spamming.

I haven't found a need for the small bits of early hitpoints. 2 Nulls is +114 hitpoints for 970 gold. You're not that far off from a Point Booster for that money, and going straight Point Booster will put you on the fast track to completing Aghanim. Techies can avoid issues of early lane durability by roaming for Suicide and pulling neutrals (buy a Sentry Ward if you have to, the enemy very likely won't buy a 2nd pair of Observers just to stop your pulling). In an organized game he could be paired with a hero who can capably solo, or better yet a hero with an imba ability to set up Suicide. Tiny, Bane Elemental, and Dark Seer can allow you to Suicide with ease even against skilled opponents, which leads to more gold for you so you can skip the small items and get Guinsoo/Aghanim/etc.

Goblin Techies
Pit Lord
Last edited by JimRaynor55; 05-18-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #33
teng)

whatever I like, I make orchid,deso,mkb before.
who care, a game with techies will never be a serious game to me.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:53 AM   #34
JimRaynor55

Quote:
Originally Posted by teng) View Post
whatever I like, I make orchid,deso,mkb before.
who care, a game with techies will never be a serious game to me.
Great contribution to this thread.

Goblin Techies
Pit Lord
Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #35
Spar-

TP + all the clarities I can get as start items (courier if I random)
Then i farm up 3 sobi masks + BoS and build Orchid ASAP
Then it depends on what I would get. Guinsoo, Force Staff or various damage items are preferred.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #36
Soth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRaynor55 View Post
Hey, I just wanna make some suggestions. And I don't think we really differ that much, we both use Suicide but I just use it a lot more

I think Techies can exceed Soul Ring alone, if mines are spammed every time the cooldown is finished. Techies can cast any time his spells are available because as I said before, he gets the benefits later so he should produce as many mines as he can. Techies can potentially spend more than 565 mana every 12 seconds, and this is considering just level 1 Remote Mine. That's insane mana usage, and furthermore Soul Ring is a drain on your hitpoints. But Soul Ring + Arcane, the two best pure mana items in the game, can support all-out Techies spamming.

I haven't found a need for the small bits of early hitpoints. 2 Nulls is +114 hitpoints for 970 gold. You're not that far off from a Point Booster for that money, and going straight Point Booster will put you on the fast track to completing Aghanim. Techies can avoid issues of early lane durability by roaming for Suicide and pulling neutrals (buy a Sentry Ward if you have to, the enemy very likely won't buy a 2nd pair of Observers just to stop your pulling). In an organized game he could be paired with a hero who can capably solo, or better yet a hero with an imba ability to set up Suicide. Tiny, Bane Elemental, and Dark Seer can allow you to Suicide with ease even against skilled opponents, which leads to more gold for you so you can skip the small items and get Guinsoo/Aghanim/etc.
Well im using suicide just as much, but only when it is needed, or when i have no money.
Nulls and pointbooster, together are a great deal. It's a huge amount of hp and mana, which can be used for good. Haven't gone for the SoulRing+Arcane build yet, even though i think one is certainly enough for techies.
But then again it all depends on the playstyle and the enemies you play against.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #37
fr0zenknife

Eul's, Aghanim, Hex
Old 05-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #38
Subway

^A recipe for crispy pwnage.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #39
fill-in-name

build a battle techies: guinsoo's, mjoll, skadi, heart, aghan, and necro. I guarantee you, no one will see it coming.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #40
MAbZ

most important item is aghanims then dagger forcestaff and euls then manta butterfly
  Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat