Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
darkseraphim

Default DotA characters in relation to Warcraft storyline

I just want to discuss how some characters from DotA fit into the Warcraft universe. This has no gameplay value, nor any aesthetic value in-game, but it is nice to know this and say, "Aah, so that's who he is.." or "So that's why this happened..". Anyway, I'm going to start the discussion with a few of my favorite heroes. You can add your own info as well, so we can have healthy discussion regarding how each character fits into the world of Azeroth. Wowwiki.com and playdota.com are my sources, by the way.

First up, Admiral Daelin Proudmoore: "Daelin Proudmoore was the "Lord Admiral" and king of Kul Tiras. As "Grand Admiral" of the Alliance, he was the supreme commander of the naval forces of the Alliance during the Second War. He was a staunch enemy of the Horde, refusing to believe that it could ever change its ways — he greatly hated the orcs and would have been more than willing to see them all dead. Eventually he was consumed by his own hatred, killed by the Horde led by Rexxar."

Knowing this, we can assume that these events have not yet come to pass in the DotA timeline, since both Proudmoore and Rexxar are well and alive, and are even allies as Sentinel! Daelin Proudmoore was, by the way the father of Jaina Proudmoore and her siblings.

Since I've mentioned Rexxar, I might as well have him up next.

"Rexxar, Champion of the Horde, is a half-ogre, half-orc beastmaster of the Mok'Nathal clan, and may be one of the last half-ogres of the clan. He saved the city of Orgrimmar from the hatred of an enemy of the Horde. He was instrumental in assisting the Horde after the fall of the Burning Legion. Due to his mixed lineage, he is a towering and massively muscled warrior, and he wields his two huge axes with tremendous skill and ferocity. Rexxar is always seen with his loyal bear companion Misha."

Well, in DotA, Rexxar has not yet acquired Misha, it seems, as he can only summon a scout hawk and a quillbeast. Also, as mentioned above, he has no enmity with Daelin Proudmoore in DotA.

Next up, Vol'jin.

"Vol'jin is the son and former apprentice of the troll witchdoctor Sen'jin, leader of the exiled Darkspear Tribe that lived on a small island chain in Stranglethorn Vale. During this time period, the Darkspear trolls were almost wiped out by a human invasion, as well as constant murloc raids. Only through the timely intervention of Thrall and the orcs did any trolls survive. Sen'jin died bravely on the islands trying to save his people. With Sen'jin's death, Vol'jin became chief shadow hunter for the tribe. In order to repay Thrall for saving his people, Vol'jin pledged his loyalty and service to the Horde."

None of this is mentioned in his DotA background story. Instead, he is portrayed as "a risk-taker", his experiments "unstable" and "destructive". From a brave Horde leader, he is given a dark twist in DotA.

Another Horde classic is Cairne Bloodhoof, the Tauren Chieftain.

"Cairne Bloodhoof is the Chief of the united tribes of the tauren, chieftain of the Bloodhoof, and leader of Thunder Bluff. Allying with the Horde upon its arrival on the shores of Kalimdor, Cairne stands today as one of its wisest and most venerated leaders. He wields the Bloodhoof Runespear. "

The Runespear is not mentioned in DotA, nor his accolades as Chieftain. Instead, Cairne is represented as merely becoming the renowned leader he was meant to be.

Of the High Elves, Alleria.

" Alleria Windrunner was the head scout of the Alliance Expedition to Draenor........ Alleria Windrunner is the eldest of the Windrunner sisters, all of whom have served Quel'Thalas and the Alliance with distinction. She also had a younger brother. Alleria always wore a necklace given to her by her parents, an exquisite piece containing an emerald, a ruby, and a sapphire...... After the damage that changed Draenor into Outland had been done, Alleria, Turalyon, Khadgar and the rest all returned to the orcs' homeworld. They set out to return to Honor Hold, which was still standing even after the chaos that had occurred on Draenor. However, although Khadgar, Danath Trollbane, and a few other heroes from this time are present in Outland, and players may interact with them, neither Alleria nor Turaylon are anywhere to be found, leaving their current whereabouts a mystery. "

None of this in the DotA story, instead it says that she "joined the Sentinel as a free agent shortly after the War of the Magi". Her disappearance has not been mentioned or has not happened yet.

From Azjol Nerub, Anub'arak.

"The former king of Azjol-Nerub, Anub'arak was among the nerubians slaughtered in the War of the Spider. One of his most loyal commanders was Anub'Rekhan. Ner'zhul the Lich King raised the high lords of the Spider Kingdom as undead to do his bidding, Anub'arak among them.

Now as a malicious crypt lord, he is forced to use his powers to purge the snow swept landscape of any remaining resistance to the reign of the Lich King. Despite the pleas from his former subjects, he has been ordered to massacre many nerubians who tried to oppose the undead. "

His DotA story is consistent with this one, though his kingdom over Azjol Nerub is omitted.

The Blood Elf, Kael.

"Kael'thas "Kael" Sunstrider was a senior member of the Kirin Tor and the Prince of Quel'Thalas, the last of the Sunstrider dynasty. After the fall of Quel'Thalas, Kael'thas led what remained of his people in the service of the Alliance. Striving to placate his people's addiction to magic, he later covertly allied with Illidan Stormrage and the Burning Legion. He was branded a traitor after his allegiance with the Legion was revealed. Kael'thas plotted to summon Kil'jaeden the Deceiver through the Sunwell, but his plans were foiled by the Shattered Sun Offensive. He was defeated by their forces in Magisters' Terrace."

The DotA version of his story is similar, yet it has no mention of his princehood in Quel'Thalas, his alliance with Illidan, or his membership with the Kirin Tor. It instead says that he served Ner'zhul and not Illidan.

The undead Lich, Kel'thuzad.

"Kel'Thuzad was the founder of the Cult of the Damned and one of the principal agents of the Lich King responsible for the spreading of the plague of undeath across Lordaeron.

Originally a human mage of the Kirin Tor, Kel'Thuzad was swayed under the influence of the Lich King. After bringing the plague to Lordaeron, he was slain by Arthas. Arthas (by then a death knight) resurrected him as a lich so he could summon Archimonde the Defiler into Azeroth. Following Arthas' departure for Northrend, Kel'Thuzad was left to command the Scourge of Lordaeron from his necropolis, Naxxramas. Following his first defeat, he and his necropolis moved to Northrend."

All that is mentioned of his origin in his DotA story is his ressurection. No mention of his alliance with Arthas, or any of the events he was responsible for in WC3.

From Nox.knight, Furion.

"Malfurion Stormrage is the greatest archdruid of all time, and one of the most powerful mortals in the Warcraft universe. He is the twin brother of Illidan Stormrage, and the beloved of Tyrande Whisperwind. Malfurion started the practice of druidism among the night elves under the tutelage of the demigod Cenarius. Following the conclusion of the War of the Ancients, he became the Archdruid of the night elves. Often he is called shan'do, meaning "honored teacher". However, some close friends occasionally tend to call him "Furion" or "Mal", the shortened versions of Malfurion. "

Those who have played the WC3 Campaigns know the part Furion played as the leader of the Night Elves. His DotA story also mentions the defeat of Archimonde, thought there was something that caught my attention. "The land is never safe. Furion, therefore, never rests. " is inconsistent with his current state, since after Archimonde's fall, he hibernated to a spirit world called the Emerald Dream, but got stuck and, with Cenarius, battled the so-called Nightmare. Ergo, Furion appears in DotA when he should be trapped in his dreamstate.

From DoomSlayers, Azgalor.

"Azgalor was once the lieutenant to the mighty demon-king Mannoroth. Following Mannoroth's death at the hands of the orc Grom Hellscream, Azgalor took it upon himself to direct the Burning Legion's ground forces at the Battle of Mount Hyjal. Though he isn't as clever as his former master, he has an aptitude for chaos and violence that is legendary even among demonkind.

Following his master's death, Azgalor took control of the Burning Legion's ground forces and accompanied Archimonde as he made his ascension up Mount Hyjal towards Nordrassil, the World Tree. After various attacks, Azgalor invaded but was repelled; after some time he began to attack alongside Rage Winterchill but was still held back.During the battle he attacked the human base with undead and demons in his army; he managed to separate a small force led by Broll Bearmantle from the main army as he and other powerful demons were attracted by the Idol of Remulos. Though Broll called to the deep earth to protect his force so that they could reintegrate to the rest of the army, in the end the pit lord overwhelmed him. As Broll fell, Azgalor used his two-bladed sword, Spite, to smash the Idol of Remulos, corrupting it and killing Broll's daughter, Anessa. But just as Azgalor and the Burning Legion thought they had achieved victory, Malfurion set loose his wisps which imploded the Tree and incinerated Archimonde"

Azgalor plays a part in the battle of Mount Hyjal, and since his DotA story says he landed in Kalimdor, this, I believe is consistent with the campaign.

If anyone has any ideas, opinions or more information, please share it here!
Last edited by darkseraphim; 05-26-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Nox.knight

Default Re: DotA characters in relation to Warcraft storyl
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

You forgot Furion.

and also, DotA =/= war3lore.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
darkseraphim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox.knight View Post
You forgot Furion.

and also, DotA =/= war3lore.
I am not saying that that DotA lore and Warcraft lore are one and the same. I am simply explaining how things would look like if we affiliate DotA characters with their Warcraft counterparts. Also, why wouldn't you affiliate the two? DotA teems with Warcraft lore; locations (e.g., Winterspring - Alleria), events (Archimonde's defeat - Furion, War of the Magi - Crystalys), and characters, (Daelin Proudmoore, Kel'thuzad). Again, I am not saying DotA and Warcraft are on one line. I am saying that DotA and Warcraft are on two lines that intertwine constantly, yet never meet resolutely.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
killergeist7

I played story yesterday and saw Murloc is just a normal creep xD.
And what bout Terrorblade? ;P
Old 05-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
DoomSlayers

Azgalor (Pit Lord in DotA)
"Azgalor is the fourth boss in the Battle for Mount Hyjal raid instance, preceded by the most difficult set of trash waves."

Before you post, remember this...
-The opinion of the majority doesn't represent a fact (it represents an opinion).
-You do not represent the majority.
-em is part of DotA. Denying it is the same as living in denial.
-Whining is part of the human nature.
-Adding insults in your text doesn't make you look cool, it makes you look stupid.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Linism

Nothing to do with DotA, but where does Sylvannas fit in with Alleria? Her younger sister? I did play WoW but I was too busy staring at Sylvie's undead boobies to listen to her backstory/chatter about it.

And what's this War of the Magi thing?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
Roseveld

nice read, but I don't think any dota heroes could be related to the WC 3 story line
Old 05-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
darkseraphim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseveld View Post
nice read, but I don't think any dota heroes could be related to the WC 3 story line
All of the heroes I mentioned appear in the WC3 storyline, except for Alleria, who appears in WC2. Please play campaign mode if you have any doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linism View Post
Nothing to do with DotA, but where does Sylvannas fit in with Alleria? Her younger sister? I did play WoW but I was too busy staring at Sylvie's undead boobies to listen to her backstory/chatter about it.

And what's this War of the Magi thing?
Yes, Alleria is Sylvanas' older sister. There was another sister as well, Vereesa Windrunner. BTW, There are only brief mentions of Alleria in WoW. Alleria Windrunner is from WC2.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
Roseveld

I don't doubt you, you are missing my point.
Yes some dota heroes are plucked from Warcraft 3 and used as models and name...because it's a warcraft scenario...
But Dota has no relation to the whole warcraft storyline nor can Dota be placed in the timeline of warcraft.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
Lapis Lazuli

Quote:
But Dota has no relation to the whole warcraft storyline nor can Dota be placed in the timeline of warcraft.
It can be if you try
Trying atm, successful imo
However, u need to ignore WOW for my story to work

I have finally gotten around to fix the link for the blog, cheers

Old 05-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
darkseraphim

Quote:
I don't doubt you, you are missing my point.
Yes some dota heroes are plucked from Warcraft 3 and used as models and name...because it's a warcraft scenario...
Well, that's not for us to say, but for Icefrog. While there's nothing that says specifically that DotA is in the same timeline as Warcraft, there's also nothing that says there isn't. Only master Ice knows. What I'm trying to say is that I'm describing how the two intertwine at times, and BTW, I think I do get your point. Sometimes people like to think of DotA in it's own universe and timeline, and it's easier that way. But then again some (like me) like to complicate our lives by analysing the connections between things. Blame me for watching The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons for days on end. LOL. Anyway, I'm just offering a glimpse of how things would look if we connect the dots. Agreed?

Now here's a question. The forests of Winterspring or Shadowmoon Valley are from Warcraft, right? If we make a DotA character then situate them into the aforementioned settings, are they DotA or Warcraft? Or say, Furion, who was responsible for bringing down Archimonde, according to his story (DotA and Warcraft), are you saying there's no relation, when the DotA story itself says that the Furion in DotA is one and the same with Malfurion Stormrage* of Warcraft?

*In case you didn't know, Malfurion Stormrage is also known as Mal, Shan'do and FURION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotM.Redemption View Post
It can be if you try
Though the information I got came from wowwiki, the events stated there are around the WC2 - WC3 - Frozen Throne timeline, more on WC3 - Frozen Throne. WoW happens quite a while after Frozen Throne.
Last edited by darkseraphim; 05-26-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
hajasmarci

rexxar became a champion bc he defeated proudmoore.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
darkseraphim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajasmarci View Post
rexxar became a champion bc he defeated proudmoore.
No he didn't. He already was a leader of the Horde even before he killed our good ol' captain.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
MonkeyEx

tl'dr version?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
Roseveld

I agree it simpler to think of dota as it's own universe and timeline, however I just experience it that way to.
I don't think it was meant to be very related to Warcraft but ofc only Icefrog knows this for 100% certain.

This might help for you:

The Origin of names and creatures in DotA - DotA Allstars Discussion
Old 05-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #16
lozarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkseraphim View Post
From Nox.knight, Ergo, Furion appears in DotA when he should be trapped in his dreamstate.
Maybe dota is furion's battle in the emerald dream.

And at one fell swoop all inconsistencies are solved with the "it's all a dream" get out of jail free card!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRaynor55 View Post
It's not like the average forum poster is playing chess while the average pubber that they bash is playing checkers. The average forum poster is playing checkers while the average pubber is eating glue.
Hero sugg: Flash - a movement based hero, for awesome chasing and team manouverability
latest rep:
Lycan laning and then CRUSHING EVERYTHING IN HIS PATH
Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #17
darkseraphim

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk_T4nkR View Post
tl'dr version?
Excuse me? I didn't quite catch that.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #18
darkseraphim

Quote:
Doesn't tell me anything I don't already know, but thanks anyway.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #19
Kaiverrettu

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk_T4nkR View Post
tl'dr version?
The first big wall of text after the hero name is mostly about his lore and character in wow/warcraft universe. If you wish to read only the connection with dota, read the smaller span of line below them, those were all quite short.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #20
refrag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotM.Redemption View Post
It can be if you try
I'd love to hear it, cause I'm making up a story for almost every hero on my own (with the informations given by DotA, not from WC3).
A full story of DotA, how the heroes came into the war would be just... Awesome!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #21
darkseraphim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozarian View Post
Maybe dota is furion's battle in the emerald dream.

And at one fell swoop all inconsistencies are solved with the "it's all a dream" get out of jail free card!
LOL... If that were so, then Cenarius should also be present.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #22
BooBoox3

DotA was originally a "reenactment/alternative story" version of the last battle of the original wc3 campaign where the Allied Forces defended the World Tree against the Scourge. That's why some hero ideas are directly taken from the campaign story.

Some heroes that are taken directly from wc3 campaign are:
Furion (Sentinel hero, although his role there was more of a support/summoner hero)
Anub'arak (He was an Undead strength hero in frozen throne)
Kel'thuzad (The main Lich you control in the campaign)
Admiral Proudmoore (Was an enemy hero in the FT bonus campaign)
Rexxar (Originally had a bear companion, but can summon hawk and quillbeast too. Was the main character in the FT bonus campaign.)
Kael (Invoker was a high elf Mage in the FT campaign. He turned bad though. He was the main character in the blood elves campaign.)
Cairne Bloodhoof (Was a Thrall's Tauren Ally in the original campaign.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Interesting fact- some hero models were taken from important characters from the campaigns, making newbies and noobs who only play wc3 for dota only confuse dota as canon. I soooooooo hate arguing with them.

Purist=Paladin Arthas
Abaddon=Deathknight Arthas
Rylai=Jaina Proudmoore
Zeus=Muradin Bronzebeard's avatared form.
Ezalor=Antonidas
Mirana=Tyrande Whisperwind
Axe=Grom Hellscream
Mortred=Maiev Shadowsong
Terrorblade=Illidan Stormrage
Leshrac=Cenarius
Traxex=Sylvanas Windrunner (My favorite Ladder hero)
Medusa=Lady Vashj (Kael's Naga partner-in-crime)
Gondar=Was a dranei hero in the Blood Elves Campaign... forgot his name.
Mangix=Was a bonus Pandaren hero in the FT Campaign
Alleria=Was Sylvanas Windrunner's original model before Arthas killed her. Ironic huh.
Krobelus=For a time, Sylvanas was a special banshee.
Rotund'jere=Was Kel'thuzad's Necromancer sprite when he was still alive I think.
Azgallor=Mannoroth in the campaign. (Pit Lord)
Balanar=The Dreadlords in the campaign.
Banehallow=I think it was Archimonde's Model, only now he's more pinkish.
Luna Moonfang= Maiev had a special Huntress subordinate. I forgot her name, but I liked her so much in the campaign so I added her here. She was a normal huntress riding one HUGE panther.
Rhasta=Shadow Shaman Orc hero. (Forgot his name...)
Demnok Lannik=There was an orc hermit that used this model in one of the campaigns. He gives you a sub quest. I think it was also used as Gul'dan's model.
__________________________________________________ ______________
The other heroes are alternative hero models(magina, etc.), tavern heroes(nevermore, etc.), hero skills(rattletrap, etc.) army units(naix, etc.) and neutral units(broodmother, etc.) Only exception is Rootfellen, the only hero that was a building model xD.

Anyways, I only listed the Campaign Units that were given names. I might not have remembered them all though. Some are recolored version so they might not look similar at first glance.

BTW, I've always wondered... did Rexxar's loyal bear companion ditch him for Syllabear? Damn... what a bish. o_o

@darkseraphim: you're both wrong. Rexxar was appointed "Champion of the Horde" before battling Proudmoore. In fact, he was given that title because he was gonna fight Proudmoore. Thrall is still the leader of the Horde.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #23
dthjunior

Admiral's daughter Jaina had siblings and Daelin was there father???

My Userbars

Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #24
BooBoox3

yep. Admiral Proudmoor is Jaina's daddy. She has 2 human brothers, the eldest being dead. It was also "rumored" that she has a half-elf half sister.

Darn kunkka probably had a bit too much rum in his youth ending up with a one-night-stand with an elf! XD
Old 05-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #25
dominator02

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLocked View Post

I will correct the wrong you said and those you don't know the name.

Leshrac=Cenarius
Answer:Primal Guardians and Cenarius's model is a non ghost KotG
Answer:Akama,The Elder Sage
Answer:Azgalor is the real one and Mannaroth uses the green one
Answer:Kil'jaiden is the real one
Luna Moonfang= Maiev had a special Huntress subordinate. I forgot her name, but I liked her so much in the campaign so I added her here. She was a normal huntress riding one HUGE panther.
Answer:Naisha
Answer:Rokhan,The Shadow Hunter
I know those models.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #26
darkseraphim

Quote:
Alleria=Was Sylvanas Windrunner's original model before Arthas killed her. Ironic huh.
Yes, the model is Sylvanas, but Alleria the character was Sylvanas' sister, as stated above, from WC2, did you know that?

Quote:
@darkseraphim: you're both wrong. Rexxar was appointed "Champion of the Horde" before battling Proudmoore. In fact, he was given that title because he was gonna fight Proudmoore. Thrall is still the leader of the Horde.
I said a leader, not the head honcho. IMO, being a champion, people look up to you, making you a leader, but not necessarily the one in charge. Semantics, dude.

Quote:
BTW, I've always wondered... did Rexxar's loyal bear companion ditch him for Syllabear? Damn... what a bish. o_o
My guess is that Misha the Bear got too tired of the wastelands. Bears aren't made for that climate, I guess. So, to the forest Misha goes.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:50 AM   #27
AmplifyDamage

nice post.

Originally, DotA was an Alternate Universe/Timeline of the Great Battle of Mount Hyjal.

To this day, this alternate timeline continues but Icefrog keeps adding more lore heroes.

With the implementation of each 6.X9b boss, Icefrog adds in an important and iconic hero from the campaign. (Kael'thas, Cairne)

With the recent addition of more iconic heroes from Azeroth (Alleria, rexxar, voljin, Daelin) you can clearly see Icefrog is staying true the campaign with his direction.

Even his own neutral heroes fit perfectly into Azeroth ( A murloc and an Ice Elemental)

To anyone that disagrees and states "DotA is unique it has it's own story etc) let me point out to you the "world tree" and the "lich king".
Old 06-01-2010, 05:52 AM   #28
BooBoox3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkseraphim View Post
Yes, the model is Sylvanas, but Alleria the character was Sylvanas' sister, as stated above, from WC2, did you know that?

I said a leader, not the head honcho. IMO, being a champion, people look up to you, making you a leader, but not necessarily the one in charge. Semantics, dude.

My guess is that Misha the Bear got too tired of the wastelands. Bears aren't made for that climate, I guess. So, to the forest Misha goes.
Yeah I read it. Although I didn't play wc2, I read the official storyline, that's why I said it's ironic Alleria in DotA uses her sister's "original" model.

Leader means Head Honcho, unless desgnated with a noun before it like "Squad Leader", "Troop Leader", but "Leader" means the top dawg of the team.

Misha's an unfaithful bear. poor rexxy.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #29
zaphodbrx99

visage is rexxar when he was transformed into a flying unit.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #30
darkseraphim

Quote:
Yeah I read it. Although I didn't play wc2, I read the official storyline, that's why I said it's ironic Alleria in DotA uses her sister's "original" model.
Actually, Alleria looks identical to the High Elf Sylvanas model, but Alleria should have this tatoo over her eye.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #31
the49er

Can someone tell me from where these hero's-Nevermore,Atrops(bane elemental),Vengeful spirit are taken???
Old 07-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #32
Randoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by the49er View Post
Can someone tell me from where these hero's-Nevermore,Atrops(bane elemental),Vengeful spirit are taken???
Im not sure abt atropos and Nevermore but vengeful is one of the summon? that the spirit of vengence spawns. (spirit of vengence is the ultimate of Maeiv in WC3 campaign. it looks like a big version of spectre.)
Old 07-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #33
killergeist7

If I recall right Bane is a creep, Nevermore is a black tinted Fire Lord, Venge is the summon from Vengeance (it IS a big version of spectre) , that Maeiv in campaign calls.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #34
the49er

As in earlier posts it is said Illidan is Terrorblade in Dota,and Illidan and Malfurion stormrage are twin brothers in wc3 campaign,but in dota Terrorblade(illidan) and Anti-mage are Twin sons of Prophet(Furion) aka Malfurion stormrage.How can be brother(refering to illidan) in wc3 campaign shown as son in Dota?
Can someone explain this to me?
Old 07-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #35
BooBoox3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the49er View Post
As in earlier posts it is said Illidan is Terrorblade in Dota,and Illidan and Malfurion stormrage are twin brothers in wc3 campaign,but in dota Terrorblade(illidan) and Anti-mage are Twin sons of Prophet(Furion) aka Malfurion stormrage.How can be brother(refering to illidan) in wc3 campaign shown as son in Dota?
Can someone explain this to me?
Easy. Terrorblade is not Illidan. Don't confuse the characters.

Bronze scum unite! \o/
Old 11-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #36
Gladyrose

Hello there,,

as a great fan of the warcraft storyline,, i will announce here, that, DOTA and the Campaign stories are not the same.

they are from different timelines.
as in campaign, in WC reign of chaos: it is the continuation of the human/orc wars and the rising of the undead. In this point, Arthas is shown and also Uther.

after series of events, Arthas was consumed by revenge and became a traitor.
Arthas became Abbadon after holding the Frostmourne.

but the thing is, Uther did not die yet. And Omniknight only appeared after Uther died seeking revenge of his death.

The campaign's and Dota's timelines are rather very much far for about Thousands of years.

DOTA shows the heroes on the time of the last war. to destroy the Frozen Throne or to have the World Tree destroyed

while on the campaign, they haven't even have the proper alliance yet.

at the introduction of the frozen throne campaign, Maiev tries to catch Illidan who consumes the Skull of Guldan.

this means that Tyrande Whisperwind released him from prison to fight against the Burning Legion and then other many more series of events.

In Dota, there is no story line but there are background stories.
their background stories connects to the people in the campaign.
for example: omniknight's leader is Uther.

Axe clan who consumed Mannoroth's blood.
these are some of the background stories that connects.

but as the game says,
in: Defense of the Ancients: Allstars - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

DOTA is only a fanmade custom map and the storylines are not connected to the campaign. They can be, but for now they are not.

but i really want them to be connected, since the Burning Legion made numbers of invasion. DOTA may be the last invasion in the story,

and one more thing: Jaina and Rylai are not connected
Kunkka and Admiral Proudmoore are not connected

their models are just the same.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #37
Gladyrose

they are connected, but not all
for example: Cairne Bloodhoof.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #38
drakonis

Pro gravedigger.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #39
RaidenStorms
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooDX View Post
DotA was originally a "reenactment/alternative story" version of the last battle of the original wc3 campaign where the Allied Forces defended the World Tree against the Scourge. That's why some hero ideas are directly taken from the campaign story.

Some heroes that are taken directly from wc3 campaign are:
Furion (Sentinel hero, although his role there was more of a support/summoner hero)
Anub'arak (He was an Undead strength hero in frozen throne)
Kel'thuzad (The main Lich you control in the campaign)
Admiral Proudmoore (Was an enemy hero in the FT bonus campaign)
Rexxar (Originally had a bear companion, but can summon hawk and quillbeast too. Was the main character in the FT bonus campaign.)
Kael (Invoker was a high elf Mage in the FT campaign. He turned bad though. He was the main character in the blood elves campaign.)
Cairne Bloodhoof (Was a Thrall's Tauren Ally in the original campaign.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Interesting fact- some hero models were taken from important characters from the campaigns, making newbies and noobs who only play wc3 for dota only confuse dota as canon. I soooooooo hate arguing with them.

Purist=Paladin Arthas
Abaddon=Deathknight Arthas
Rylai=Jaina Proudmoore
Zeus=Muradin Bronzebeard's avatared form.
Ezalor=Antonidas
Mirana=Tyrande Whisperwind
Axe=Grom Hellscream
Mortred=Maiev Shadowsong
Terrorblade=Illidan Stormrage
Leshrac=Cenarius
Traxex=Sylvanas Windrunner (My favorite Ladder hero)
Medusa=Lady Vashj (Kael's Naga partner-in-crime)
Mangix=Was a bonus Pandaren hero in the FT Campaign
Krobelus=For a time, Sylvanas was a special banshee.
Rotund'jere=Was Kel'thuzad's Necromancer sprite when he was still alive I think.
Balanar=The Dreadlords in the campaign.
Demnok Lannik=There was an orc hermit that used this model in one of the campaigns. He gives you a sub quest. I think it was also used as Gul'dan's model.
__________________________________________________ ______________
The other heroes are alternative hero models(magina, etc.), tavern heroes(nevermore, etc.), hero skills(rattletrap, etc.) army units(naix, etc.) and neutral units(broodmother, etc.) Only exception is Rootfellen, the only hero that was a building model xD.

Anyways, I only listed the Campaign Units that were given names. I might not have remembered them all though. Some are recolored version so they might not look similar at first glance.

Wrong. Azgalor is purple. Mannaroth is green. Gondar uses Akama's model.
Lesharc's model is technically not Cenarius, he uses ghost model that was used by spirits who protected his horn. It's all in WarCraft 3 Reign of Chaos campaign.
  Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat