The recent new model that Chaos Bolt got is fine and dandy, but it can be better, seeing that it's just a recolour of an existing engine model. There are a few problems with that:
- The missile looks small and weak, not like a bolt that could stun enemies.
- The missile model is just a tint, and the impact sound is weak.
- Seeing it's imported, there's no excuse to not make it more unique, and less like the model that it was based off on.
I've basically taken the liberty to give the model a few edits.
Download the model here
- The size of the ball was enlarged and thickened so it looks more threatening, material and powerful.
- A much more potent impact sound was given to the bolt.
A Few More Editor Touch Ups
I also suggest changing some of the spell's visual animation:
- Give the Chaos Knight the "attack" animation when he's casting. It makes him look like he's flinging the bolt out.
- Give the bolt's missile an arc of 0.3. It makes the bolt's movement look erratic combined with the bolt's wild rotation.
- Change the text showing the bolt's stun duration from blue to red (255/127/127).
- Synchronise the stun and the bolt impact already! As of now, the damage and stun is dealt the moment the stun is cast but before the missile hits! So the missile is really there for show, which it shouldn't be. It's as simple as moving the dummy causing the stun to the Chaos Knight and letting him fire the stun from there. To synchronise the damage, a timer delay based on the formula [ Distance between targets / Bolt's missile speed ] can be used, and the damage is dealt after the delay.
There are no pictures this time, because it doesn't depict the edits I've done to the bolt properly. Check out the testmap here
to see it in action instead.