Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
jtMessy

Default Ursa Item build

Ursa is one of my favourite heroes and I play him quite regularly using my own set of item builds.

I just checked some of the guides on the forums and it wasn't quite nearly the same as my item build.

I start off with 2 slippers, wand, tangoes and salves. I then build up to magic wand, quelling blade and PMS and regular boots.

My first core item would be vanguard, at which point after completing I would roshan and complete my phase boots.

After that, I get my dagger and gank continuously until I am able to farm up a guinsoo to KO an enemy hero with hex, making the team battles a constant 4v5 situation. By then the game should be over.

Is my build viable?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
kampfer.

Default Re: Ursa Item build

get lothar and vlad fast than gank
else for luxury try to get life / dps items HoT mkb against bfly user and all others -.-
pretty fexible
Old 06-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
arijit

GUINSOO ON URSA WTH !!!!!!!!! LOLZ
Whats your team doing then ??

Make Vladimir's Offering. Then HoT or MKB or Rad.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
pyjama

you can't have too many guinsoos ,can you?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
jtMessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfer. View Post
get lothar and vlad fast than gank
else for luxury try to get life / dps items HoT mkb against bfly user and all others -.-
pretty fexible
I prefer dagger over lothars for its flexibility, and its cheaper. Somehow I always forget about vlads but even if I do get that it'll probably be after dagger and before guin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit View Post
GUINSOO ON URSA WTH !!!!!!!!! LOLZ
Whats your team doing then ??

Make Vladimir's Offering. Then HoT or MKB or Rad.
Guinsoo solves ursa's mana problem. And hex is well, hex. Lol. Helps me take down their carry or main support almost instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyjama View Post
you can't have too many guinsoos ,can you?
True that.

But anyway, is guinsoo really not a viable item for ursa?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
arijit

imo you can go for Shiva's guard instead if you need mana. Vladimir also give little Mana regen. Dagger is better than lothars, on ursa.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
VadujE

Since you get everything a ursa needs it's viable.

phase dagger is imho enough for ursa to do his job.
Vanguard Vlads are quite nice for him, like HoT or guinsoo.

Guinsoo is never a bad choice, however it's annoying to farm it. I personally gank most of the time after dagger and don't farm much anymore.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
banjkan3

I build ursa as:

PMS + Stick + Phase -> Vlads/Vanguard -> Dagger -> Hex

Throw a BKB in there if necessary.

The first stuff should be obvious, vlads if you're foresting, vanguard if you're laning, either of them will allow you to do Roshan and give you a form of regeneration. Dagger should pretty much be a given, although Lothars can be fun, Dagger is just cheaper and harder to counter. Also, Ursa, unlike SF cannot feasibly farm up a 15 minute lothars and then stomp the game with it in most cases.

Hex is where it gets controversial, and most people would build a heart there instead. The way I see it, if stuff is still insta-dieing to you come 30-40 minutes into the game then you've probably won already. People SHOULD have either a stun, or a slow, or an escape or (most annoyingly for Ursa), a GHOST scepter and this stage of the game, and you'll struggle to instarape things like you did before. Sure a heart will make you do more damage and make you harder to kill, but it doesn't fix any of these problems for you.

BKB will solve stuns, particularly if your team has enough disable, but even then you still want some item AFTER that. Until you've experienced the true horror of a Guinsoo + Dagger bear I guess it's hard to understand how evil it is. It renders everything but raw HP & armour useless against you, even BKB is hard to cast if you're blinking from fog and hexing instantly.

ONCE you've made these things you can consider a heart or an MKB (vs wr and suchlike), or possilby even S&Y (cheap, damage, -ms, hp, attackspeed for when your overpower is down), but I really don'ot see how any of these items would come above hex in order of priorities.

So yes, your build is very viable, and in my eyes the best build for ursa.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
jtMessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit View Post
imo you can go for Shiva's guard instead if you need mana. Vladimir also give little Mana regen. Dagger is better than lothars, on ursa.
Shiva's is good, but wouldn't spending an extra $975 for a hex and better mana regen(not to mention +10 to all stats) outweigh shiva's slow and armor? Plus, ursa is already an agi hero so he should have decent armor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadujE View Post
Since you get everything a ursa needs it's viable.

phase dagger is imho enough for ursa to do his job.
Vanguard Vlads are quite nice for him, like HoT or guinsoo.

Guinsoo is never a bad choice, however it's annoying to farm it. I personally gank most of the time after dagger and don't farm much anymore.
Phase dagger does prove enough to do his job. But vanguard adds survivability and damage so yeah why not? What do you do with the cash after you've ganked like 5-10 times? Lol.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
arijit

Guinsoo costs fairly high. By the time you get that money you can get other items. And late game due to your stats, Mana problems should decrease. Disables are always good to have though. But on ursa it seems a bit odd. Anyway after your initial build and HoT any thing is viable on ursa I guess.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
jtMessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjkan3 View Post
I build ursa as:

PMS + Stick + Phase -> Vlads/Vanguard -> Dagger -> Hex

Throw a BKB in there if necessary.

The first stuff should be obvious, vlads if you're foresting, vanguard if you're laning, either of them will allow you to do Roshan and give you a form of regeneration. Dagger should pretty much be a given, although Lothars can be fun, Dagger is just cheaper and harder to counter. Also, Ursa, unlike SF cannot feasibly farm up a 15 minute lothars and then stomp the game with it in most cases.

Hex is where it gets controversial, and most people would build a heart there instead. The way I see it, if stuff is still insta-dieing to you come 30-40 minutes into the game then you've probably won already. People SHOULD have either a stun, or a slow, or an escape or (most annoyingly for Ursa), a GHOST scepter and this stage of the game, and you'll struggle to instarape things like you did before. Sure a heart will make you do more damage and make you harder to kill, but it doesn't fix any of these problems for you.

BKB will solve stuns, particularly if your team has enough disable, but even then you still want some item AFTER that. Until you've experienced the true horror of a Guinsoo + Dagger bear I guess it's hard to understand how evil it is. It renders everything but raw HP & armour useless against you, even BKB is hard to cast if you're blinking from fog and hexing instantly.

ONCE you've made these things you can consider a heart or an MKB (vs wr and suchlike), or possilby even S&Y (cheap, damage, -ms, hp, attackspeed for when your overpower is down), but I really don'ot see how any of these items would come above hex in order of priorities.

So yes, your build is very viable, and in my eyes the best build for ursa.
YESS finally someone who agrees with me completely. As he said, dagger guinsoo ursa can instarape someone within 3.5 seconds. I only stumbled upon it after trying to kill a buffed up Slark. Also, Guinsoo provides crazy mana regen. Bundled with vanguard, you don't even need to go back to fountain for regen anymore.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
feral_nature

i either go for tank build - phase>blade mail>hot
or ganker style - phase>dagger>bkb
Old 06-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
CvP
Forum Manager

Steam: cvp_bg

one thing I always do is go jungle, farm up a vlad and kill roshan at or before 13 min mark.
then I can get dagger and boots by 17/18 min. then eul/guinsoo/heart/bkb depending on situation.

basically, once i have boots, vlad and dagger, it's all about roam and gank.
I try to specifically target opponent paper heroes. sniper/drow/luna/sf are my fav

Dota 2 Saber Mod
Play as Saber in Dota 2. No VAC issues. Just install and enjoy!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
menke51

Vanguard first is a good item imo, but you can make PMS and a vitality booster you save up for your HoT as well, if you don't really need the regen. qb is useless cause it doesnt stack with your orb. After vanguard go for dagger, then upgrade your boots to whatever you like. then there are many options.

-armlet (nice hp boost, armor, dmg, ias)
-vlads (if team doesn't have one)
-terrasque (imba dmg with your ulti, but quite expensive)
butterfly (pretty nice dmg too, also expensive)
-bkb (obvious reasons )
Old 06-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
jtMessy

I don't see the real benefits of getting a heart. I mean yes it does give HP and damage, but w/o bkb, you can't kill if you get stunned or slow. Even if the enemy doesnt have a slow/stun, if you dont manage to kill within the time he's slowed, then you're basically fucked.

IMO, i think that HoT/bkb is more of a tanker build while guinsoo is a ganker build. Anyone agree?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #16
Fixthemix

Shivas is actually pretty underrated for Ursa, other than the obvious slow for pounding on things, the +10 armor means your hit points will drop slower, which agains means more damage from your ultimate. Also gives the decent aura.

I rarely build it though, my core goes: Wand, PMS, Phase Boots, Vladimir's, Vitality Booster -> Heart. Depending on lineup, I sometimes go Blink/Treads instead of Vladimirs/Phase, but it's all situational.
After Heart, the massive armor boost & -as aura from Shivas adds loads of survivability, although I think Butterfly is better (preparing for flame).
Old 06-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #17
feral_nature

lol how u tank with bkb when u evade nukes/stuns/disables?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
lapiz

Well ur right about the guinsoo. It is most of the time the best item to get for mr bear after the initial items (treads+vlads+dagger/lothar or phase+vang+vlad+dagger/lothar, personally I prefer dagger and treads). It gets a lot easier to pick off heroes when u finally get the guinsoo. Also BKB > heart almost always.

Id guess that would be the "core" for my bear. Of course theres quite a few situations where u have to or ur allowed to alter that order.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #19
arijit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtMessy View Post
I don't see the real benefits of getting a heart. I mean yes it does give HP and damage, but w/o bkb, you can't kill if you get stunned or slow. Even if the enemy doesnt have a slow/stun, if you dont manage to kill within the time he's slowed, then you're basically fucked.

IMO, i think that HoT/bkb is more of a tanker build while guinsoo is a ganker build. Anyone agree?
Benifit of HoT is for ursa's ulti. Gives imba damage. Imo bkb is situational on Ursa.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #20
scrubsie

BKB situational? Hehehehe. How are u gonna kill somebody when there's at least 3 disables on the other team? Unless you play a pub where everyone pick 5 agi carries.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #21
kampfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubsie View Post
BKB situational? Hehehehe. How are u gonna kill somebody when there's at least 3 disables on the other team? Unless you play a pub where everyone pick 5 agi carries.
Says the 54post guy
Bkb is situationnal imo sometime youjust dont need it
Old 06-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #22
banjkan3

Quote:
lol how u tank with bkb when u evade nukes/stuns/disables?
Because they have to focus you with everything else. Anyway, it's not WoW, tanks don't really exist.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #23
jtMessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfer. View Post
Says the 54post guy
Bkb is situationnal imo sometime youjust dont need it
That's true. BKB is always situational. Just depends on what heroes are on your team and what heroes are on theirs.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #24
kampfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtMessy View Post
That's true. BKB is always situational. Just depends on what heroes are on your team and what heroes are on theirs.
On some hero its pretty mutch. Core like on SF
Old 06-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #25
SenshiNoRyu

For me Ursa's core is stout shield (somtimes upgraded to PMS) Vlad's (kill Rosh) Phases + Dagger (sometimes boots + dagger than phases after). No others items are obligatory.

Against many disables /nukes I buy BKB + HoT, Guinso is always viable, Sometimes Linkens against Doom, Necro or such, against Blinkers/pseudo-Blinkers i even get Orchid sometimes.

The point is you must win a game before 50 minute mark or you will get helluva hard time very late in the game.

On a side note: I highly recommend Vlad's over vanguard for Fuzzy. The best scenario against burst (nukes mainly) damage is, as already mentioned, to get PMS + Vitality Booster (=> HoT later). Ursa is Physical damage burst hero, so you get more regen from autoattacking than from passive vanguard starting from level 11. Also Basilius/Vlad's mana regen helps a lot early since his Int is rather low. And another benefit of Vlad's is pushing power, which is also good task for Ursa to lifesteal/mana regen after gang.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #26
Leebus
Banned

I can never decide what to get on ursa. you can't get orb effects, which just leaves choice of boots/lothars or blink/vlads, vanguard/heart/bfly/bkb/assault. I never see any variety of items on ursa. Then again I play pubs cause cp6 won't let me into garena without filling requirements. I'm bored...

But seriously, if slardar's on the other team i buy a quelling blade and eat into the bottom right corner of the map where i wait for mhers to find me.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #27
SenshiNoRyu

All fine, except the fact that your post make little to no sense. xD
Old 06-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #28
feral_nature

Quote:
Because they have to focus you with everything else. Anyway, it's not WoW, tanks don't really exist.
somehow i cant believe it that if i play against decent players and run to them with overpowered enraged bear they wont select me... all of them... and let me skin them alive.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #29
jtMessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenshiNoRyu View Post
On a side note: I highly recommend Vlad's over vanguard for Fuzzy. The best scenario against burst (nukes mainly) damage is, as already mentioned, to get PMS + Vitality Booster (=> HoT later). Ursa is Physical damage burst hero, so you get more regen from autoattacking than from passive vanguard starting from level 11. Also Basilius/Vlad's mana regen helps a lot early since his Int is rather low. And another benefit of Vlad's is pushing power, which is also good task for Ursa to lifesteal/mana regen after gang.
Your reasoning for vlads over vg is pretty good, but if by going vlads then you're almost certain to get a HoT as luxury instead of anything else. However, if by going vlads instead of VG early game, which would deal more damage as VG gives the extra hp which in turn boosts the damage of your ulti or the damage bonus given by vlads.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #30
banjkan3

Quote:
somehow i cant believe it that if i play against decent players and run to them with overpowered enraged bear they wont select me... all of them... and let me skin them alive.
That's because you do damage, damage dealers do exist. Tanks don't, you can't force people to attack you (unless you're axe). People will focus the heroes that hurt the most, that's why you kill the Puck or the Drow or the Ursa first, not because they're some kind of mysterious "tank".

Given this, if peoplea re focusing you it's because you hurt and in that case you probably don't want to be disabled -> you go BKB. There are tanky heroes, i.e cent, but there are no tanks (barring axe, i guess).

Quote:
The problem is that when you're ursa you're NOT always hitting stuff, there'll be times when you're running away/past towers or even disabled, when you're hitting, the regen is great, when you're not, all you have to defend you is the armour aura. Vlads on jungle ursa is great, but if you lane him I'd say that vanguard is marginally better.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #31
TehMoep

I dont get the hate on hex on ursa, its also good on Magina for the same reason (but is even more viable on ursa imo).
I think its a good idea when u lack disables/allys.
And bkb is almost allways good, when you fight a team without any real disables you have won allready anyway.

AOE POISON DESO BUGS OF INSANITY !!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Stream View Post
"STFU, noob" if an enemy should this quote, I ignored him temporaily.

Iff he is dead, I took off my pant and slap my penis at the screen part where showing his corpse.

Satisfied
Old 06-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #32
Reesj

This is the easy buuild I been using on Ursa and It Rocks. Start with shield quelling and set of tango. Get small ring and then shobimask and boots from your side shop. At this point you will be nearing lvl 6 and I normally start nutraling a bit while laning and get Vladmire for easy roshan and nutral( gr8 mana regen u will need for fast farming also).

So my basic is Boots, Stout and vladmire. Right then I hit Roshan and after get Phase boots then dager or Lothas depending on team and situation. I hardly convert to venguard but go for a heart mostly. IF can't farm that gr8 I will buy a ring of regen for venguard but mostly after vitality go for rever. After BkB if game go l8 or b4 heart take BKB if so many disablers and they start pushing or move together.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #33
nix

Guide Writing Award 

QB
DOESN'T
WORK
ON
URSA
at all.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #34
Reesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehMoep View Post
I dont get the hate on hex on ursa, its also good on Magina for the same reason (but is even more viable on ursa imo).
I think its a good idea when u lack disables/allys.
And bkb is almost allways good, when you fight a team without any real disables you have won allready anyway.
WTF Waste your gold on that when from that gold you get heart and instant gib them in 1s ? You don't need them to run a chicken when they are dead b4 they know it.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #35
banjkan3

Quote:
WTF Waste your gold on that when from that gold you get heart and instant gib them in 1s ? You don't need them to run a chicken when they are dead b4 they know it.
Ah yes I forgot heart makes you kill people in 1 second... wait no, stfu you're talking crap.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #36
Reesj

Quote:
Ah yes I forgot heart makes you kill people in 1 second... wait no, stfu you're talking crap.
Are you stupid or never played a ursa? You press ulti then press button saying over power then hard part man go press near that hero to blink and watchi how much time it takes to kill him with a heart( Considering non strenth carry ).

Well sorry if thats so complicated to understand .
Old 06-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #37
Qnznbl

First of all when playing ursa you must have a good lane partner. Without a good lane partner you are practically 0 early game (no courier/wards/disables). Secondly you should rush phase boots for extra DMG and MS. That way you will be able to kill Heroes pretty fast provided your teammate has some kind of disable/slow + moving through creeps and your last hitting will improve. After that you may want to buy PMS (dont think its worth it though) and Vladi (a must). Then you should be able to farm dagger quite quick provided you kill Roshan (you may want ask your teammate to ward the entry) and maybe had some kills.

If you get dagger somewhere around ~20 minute mark you should be unstoppable. Late game choices = HoT, Bkb, Guinso. (I think Vanguard is a waste). Also you may want to ask your support Hero to buy you some tangoes and clarities ( Even with vladi and CM's aura you should feel the mana need since you probably gank/use dagger a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubsie View Post
If you have aoe disables and/or Guinso you can really rape without bkb.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #38
roatapatrata

early vang> early vladi.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #39
banjkan3

Quote:
Are you stupid or never played a ursa? You press ulti then press button saying over power then hard part man go press near that hero to blink and watchi how much time it takes to kill him with a heart( Considering non strenth carry ).

Well sorry if thats so complicated to understand .
Have you ever played vs anyone who isn't bad? (read: makes a ghost scepter vs your heart rush ursa)
Old 06-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #40
Kris

Dagon ursa solves all problems

rly

SatireTrolling: the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.