Originally Posted by Altazen
I've seen 2 suggestions to use Urn. Why is that?
Personally, i dont suggest getting urn. Dont get me wrong, urn is good for gankers but if your getting urn you are delaying his core early-mid item w/c is rushing str threads and MOM. Once you got these core items you can gank with ease.
So why not get urn to boost your hp, some mana regen, and active heal and damage? Because you dont need to. PT, MOM, and TP is enough for early-mid. Dont delay it. Though i am not saying it is not good though, but you can live without it period.
How? These is the best pattern to kill and gank for barathrum from my experience.
1. Select the best and killable target.
2. Prepare before take off (carry dust if your planning to kill invi heroes always), and Always have a Town of Portal for emergency escape.
3. Cast charge of Darkness from the farthest part of your fountain/well and target the hero. These enable you to regain the mana lost by casting charge of darkness therby by the time you leave the fountain you have full mana pool.
4. ping allies for your target while your on the run.
5. watch the current situation before diving in and abbandon target if neccessary. take note of their available skills, cd of their skills, how many are there, how much damage output they can have, can you survive these gank etc.
6. upon impact, do normal attacks only and turn MOM active if you have it. Dont cast netherstrike if you dont need to.
7. Do animation cancelling while attacking. This will increase your number of attacks by atleast 1 or 2 before enemy will be out of range if he decide to walk away (remember that if you accidentally completely cancelled an attack, bash animation while still occur occasionaly).
8. Use your dust only when they wind walk. For Phantom Lancer just make sure to target him when your sure he is him from a far to lock him up and use dust after impact because his images might screw you later but once you use your dust if he dopplewalk he is easily identifiable. There is no way he can out damage you at low levels and he cant outrun you also.
9. Use Netherstrike if a) you cant catch up with your opponent -anticipate if he will be in the fog afterwards so think in advance b) you think he would cast a skill that would mean a failure gank
10. When an opponent is a blink type like magina, raijin. Anticipate his movement and cast netherstrike accordingly. The timing for magina is after you attack him opponents tendencies are to blink away imediately, here you should cast netherstrike the moment you think the stun will be out but that is not 100% sure. Some will turn arround first then blink away but the animation for netherstrike is so good that you would still catch him as long as you anticipated that he will blink in the next second or 2. But a wise magina would fight 1st and burn your mana before blinking away but lucky for you magina's health is so low on early rounds and will probably wont make it in time before he blinks. Proceed to normal attack him as long as you can still cast your netherstrike before you run out of mana. So cast it before it happens. That is the least you can do. (Lvl 1 200/Lvl 250/Lvl 3 300). For Raijin the moment he pause a bit, he will use his ss but a wise raijin will use the "s" command to lure you into using it.
11. Use TP if necessary.
12. Farm in the nearest lane possible and watch the cooldown of your skills.
13. Before the CD cooldowns use your TP and regenerate mana asap (Mana and hp is no issue now w/ these method). Buy TP scrolls again. Then repeat the process. Dont worry about the cost of TP once you kill nonstop, money will be no issue. Farm in between ganks. Good Last hitting skill is required. Kill and kill the killable ones and have no mercy. That is the way to gain gold and experience.
Also by these method you are unpredictable since you can be on any other lane and they cant see you from one lane or another. Sometimes you need to change your usual target since they become aware of the pattern so try and gank others and ask for help when needed. Remember to gank the hard carries that is your main role in these type of build.
Sometimes you would fail but once you attained and master these you'll become unstoppable. Also by choosing barathrum you must have no fear because a good barathrum is mostly aggressive but wise. Wise in the sense that he knows when he can win the battle or when he dont. Experience wise you must choose your battle. Dont choose a battle where you cant win. There is a difference between being brave and being a fool. ^_^
Try to make your barathrum as aggressive as you can be. Try to get that 1st blood as much as possible because gold wise and experience edge early is a must. Being aggressive and showing you are the boss in the lane makes a difference. Psychological warfare is always included in any scenario even in real life dont you think? So use it to your advantage. Barathrum can kill even at low levels and only selected heroes can come close to that. You can out damage some 2 heroes you being level 3 or 4 vs same level heroes or maybe i am exagerating too much but the thing here is that there will become situations early that even you have low health if they have no skills to use you can turn around and kill them both and so watch out for that situation. Think outside the box. Whats happening, your mana, theirs, cds, current lives etc is important little things to watch out for. That will be the advantage of keen eye players over experienced but lazy pro players. Superb Laning knowledge is required also, specially if your laned against a good one. Find a guide out here, specially the miscellaneous guide here are good. It will help your barathrum gameplay by a lot.
Watch out for void and naix in a one on one battle and a good alleria. Though a good player can hit you hard no matter what hero he use so be good using yours too. ^_^
***Lets face it that Barathrum for now is meant for pub games so dont expect to do good in inhouse game though sometimes he can make it w/ good supporting heroes like omniknight and dazzle***
Special Note: You can use Netherstrike as last resort for escaping and use it at the safest area where you can target it to and use it then juke then use TP. You can also use charge of darkness to get into place faster. You can use "s" button to imeddiately run after charge of darkness is casted during times you need it instantly for escaping and stunning targets. Remember that MOM increases your movement speed and maybe used for escaping and takenote that it amplifies the damage you took during a duration. Blademail adds intimidation, it is magical damage, you take regular damage except that you deal some damage to your opponent depending on their current magical resistance plus 25% natural magic resistance and so a BKB nullifies any damage they would take but if used wisely will turn the tide of battle no matter how strong your opponent. TP saves lives. Animation canceling increases damage outputs as well as number of attacks therby increasing the chances to bash so do it always (practice the timing).