Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Hex-

Default English Speech :D

Just a little speech i did in class. Enjoy, it might enlighten you

Quote:
Statement of Intent:
Target Audience: Year 11’s
Purpose: To enlighten people about Cyberbullying and that a lot of people are cyberbullies and don’t realise.
Context: A persuasive speech.

Look down. Now back up. Where are you? You’re in a classroom, with 13 people out of everyone on the class list having been cyberbullied once in their life. Whats on your mind at the moment? Im thinking about how 3 of them have been cyberbullied more than once. Im also thinking about how 2 of them have been cyberbullied in the last 30 days. Now, you might be thinking, this isn’t a very big number. But when you put it on a global scale, that’s 60% of school students having been cyberbullied. Anything can happen when you’re on the internet.

Bullying is described as being “repeated acts over time that involves a real or perceived imbalance of power with the more powerful individual or group abusing those who are less powerful.” Bullying consists of 3 basic types of abuse; emotional, verbal and physical, and it usually involves subtle methods of coercion such as psychological manipulation. Bullying in schools and the workplace is also referred to as peer abuse. Bullying can cause serious emotional damage and sometimes physical damage, with the majority of it occurring in schools, but it can occur in any context and with any two people, anywhere in the world, thanks to one of the most common, and rapidly escalating forms of bullying, Cyberbullying.

Cyber bullying is described as being: “The use of information and communication technologies to support deliberate, repeated and hostile behaviour to an individual or group that is intended to harm others”, as said by Bill Belsey, a Canadian politician. Cyberbullying can be as simple as continuing to contact someone after they have said that they don’t want anything else to do with the person, or as harsh as blackmail, with threats, sexual remarks, ganging up on people, and posting false statements about people.

One of the main problems associated with Cyberbullying is that it is not as obvious to the person committing the act that they are cyberbullying, so they might not mean it, but it is coming across in a bad way. In fact; it’s not always being seen as cyberbullying. Some things can be very small, such as just saying no to someone all the time when they try to speak online on a medium such as Facebook, it may seem to be a joke to you and to everyone else for a while, but eventually the subject just gets annoyed and may make a violent outburst. Or it may be something called Trolling.

Trolling is a deliberate act such as posting something off topic or inflammatory on an online social medium such as Facebook, Myspace or various forums, with intentions of provoking people to react in a certain way, much like politicians or the newspaper. Trolling can be as simple as posting an internet meme such as the rickroll, which is a link to Rick Astleys song Never gonna give you up, or by interrupting a civilised conversation by saying something like “this post is dead”, or “did someone see the game on the weekend?” when it clearly has nothing at all to do with what anyone is saying.

Cyberbullying has been active in kids as young as year two; with boys initiating it more often than girls at a younger age, while girls initiate it more the boys by middle school. But regardless of the sex, the purpose is to intentionally embarrass others, harass, intimidate or make threats online to one another. This bullying can occur through email, text messages, posts on blogs or social networking websites, and regular websites. Most cases of cyber bullying happen in 7th and 8th graders.

Cyber bullying is not just limited to children, however, and while the behaviour is essentially the same, the distinction of age groups is referred to as cyberstalking or cyberharassment when done by adults towards other adults. Common techniques used by cyberstalkers include vandalizing search engines or encyclopaedias, to threaten a victim’s earnings, employment, reputation, or safety. A repeated pattern of such actions against a target by an adult denotes cyberstalking.

In 2006, an organisation called I-Safe conducted a survey on students of grade 4 to 8. The results were as follows.
• 42% of kids have been bullied while online. One in four have had it happen more than once.
• 35% of kids have been threatened online. Nearly one in five had had it happen more than once.
• 21% of kids have received mean or threatening e-mails or other messages.
• 58% of kids admit someone has said mean or hurtful things to them online. More than four out of ten say it has happened more than once.
• 58% have not told their parents or an adult about something mean or hurtful that happened to them online.

These numbers were obtained from a random group of 1500 kids. When you put that onto a global scale, I’m just going to say that there are about 1.9 billion kids in the world today, just as an example, this makes 1 140 000 000 kids who have been cyberbullied. Of course, you have to remember that not every kid has access to technology, but the number will still be a very big number regardless.

Cyberbullying can have some very serious outcomes. Victims usually have low self esteem, they usually cyberbully back, and they show a variety of emotions, including scared, angry and depressed. Some even go as far as suicide to solve their problem, which just makes it worse for everyone else, such as Megan Meier, a 13 year old girl who hunger herself after what Cyberbullying that was enacted by one of her past friends mothers under a false name on Myspace. How would you feel if you had been the person to cyberbully her to such lengths as this? It’s not a very nice thought.

What’s being done to stop Cyberbullying? You may be wondering. The government keeps saying that they are putting money into it but we have yet to see where this money is going. They are also putting notices on the internet and having people go out to schools and other public forums to try and teach children about Cyberbullying. But other than this, the government hasn’t really done all that much. Some states in the USA have put up laws against Cyberbullying, but Australia has yet to do this.

If you want to help in the fight against Cyberbullying, you can go onto the internet and learn about Cyberbullying, you can take a test to see if you’re a cyberbully or not, and you can carefully watch what you are typing on Facebook, through texts, and on forums and blogs, for those people who use them.

Im on a horse.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
PuЪLiㄷEиəℳy#1

Default Re: English Speech :D

A good issue...

Trolls should see this... never mind, it won't work...
Old 06-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Kriegskanzler

Suggestion Award Literary Award 

This text made me think Cyberbullying was a problem in the same grand scale as Global Warming.

... and it is what makes this text a very successful one. T-Up.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
悲しいバグ
Banned

I have read an article about cyber-bullying such as this.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
Hex-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impeticus View Post
I have read an article about cyber-bullying such as this.
Haha kewl =D
Old 06-30-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
BryonX

nice troll attempt hex

Check Out my hero suggestion!

Ro' Vex The Ancient Dinosaur
Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
Hex-

Haha, i trolled in the middle of my speech xD
  Entertainment Fiction & Literature