Laser uses an imported model for its missile art. There are a few small problems with this model:
The New Model
- The model doesn't have proper 'birth' and 'death' animations. This makes the animation look a little weird because there is no transition as the laser comes out of the Tinker. The large beam appears atop the Tinker and flies towards the enemy, whereby it suddenly just disappears.
- The model is disproportionately large (I actually mistook the damage to be AoE the first time I saw it).
These are the few things I've done to the model:
- Given the model transition animations (birth and death animations) so it doesn't appear/disappear so suddenly.
- Scaled down the model by 30%.
- Tweaked the sound effects a little. It sounds less electrical and more plasmic.
- There is MSI; the new model that replaces the old one is about 200 bytes larger.
Find the imported model here
There are no pictures here because still pictures don't capture the transition animation well enough. There is a testmap that you can find here
to see it in action.
Custom Buff Effect
This isn't a part of the main suggestion, but I've also created a custom buff effect for Laser's blind effect to replace the current non-fitting yellow buff effect. This effect is included in the testmap.
The model can be found here
Again, not part of the suggestion, but there is a slight visual discrepancy when Laser is cast on a target. If you look closely, you will see that the damage is applied a short moment before the missile hits the target. This can be easily fixed by changing the code such that when the spell takes effect, a a slight delay (using a timer) is put on before damage is applied.
The delay (in seconds) is gotten from a simple formula: Distance between Tinker and the Target ÷ Laser's missile speed