How To Make a Good Hero Suggestion
By : NoThlnG
...1.1 How to Select a Good Model
...1.2 Unused Model Lists
2. Basic Informations
...2.1 Primary Attributes & Stats
...2.2 Attack Range & MS
...2.4 Other Details
...3.1 Originality / Uniqueness
......3.4.1 Forced Synergies
...3.5 Fitness to the Warcraft and DotA
This is the first step of making a hero.
Models will determine if the skills suitable or not as well as it's fitness in DotA.
1.1 How to Select a Good Model
Thre are several things you should keep in mind which are :
- Fitness to your theme (You can't use burning model for ice theme)
- Fitness with your skill (You can't use hero that use sword for arrow skills)
- Fitness to DotA and Warcraft (Cartoonish, realistic, etc are excluded because of this reason)
- Repetitiveness (Don't use heroes inside DotA. Make a remake instead)
1.2 Unused Model List
These are several sites that contain lists of unused models
2. Basic Information
One of the most important, but often neglected part of the hero.
Basic information here contains stats include primary attribute, attack range, MS, story, affiliation, roles and themes. I will explain them one by one here
2.1 Primary Attributes & Stats
You should carefully choose the right primary attribute for your heroes.
STR heroes should look strong or big. Heroes that carry giant / heavy weapon or heavy armors and helms mostly belongs here.
AGI heroes should look fast or agile. Looks weaker, or at least smaller than STR heroes. Heroes that carry light weapons mostly belongs here
INT heroes should look intelligent. Heroes that carry some wands/staffs or wearing robes or mage hats mostly belongs here.
Now stats. Most people just give stats without any deep thinking. They just give crazy starting stats and stats gain which in game, it will be totally imbalanced.
This is how I give base stats.
- Very Low = 10 or below
- Low = 11 ~ 13
- Medium Low = 14 ~ 16
- Medium = 17 ~ 19
- Medium High = 20 ~ 22
- High = 23 ~ 25
- Very High = 26 or above
It doesn't matter which stats you'll give what number. But make sure that your stats average is still at medium.
Other things to remember :
- If your hero has high base stats, balanced it or reduce it's stats gain
- If your hero has low base stats, balanced it or increase it's stats gain
- Don't waste stats on something unimportant. If your hero is spell based, don't waste your stats on agi. Use it on str or agi.
- Look at your skills. If your skill needs lot of int then give very high stats on int.
2.2 Attack Range & MS
There is nothing much I want to say here but remember these :
- Don't give attack range more than 650 without any reason it will cause imbalanced.
- Most int heroes are ranged and most str heroes are melee while agi is about 50:50.
- In most case, melee heroes having more MS than ranged heroes.
- Spell casters tend to have lower MS then attack-based heroes.
I'm not a good story-makers so I can't say much about it.
But keep the story interesting but still related to DotA.
These things are good to be mentioned in stories :
- The hero's origin
- What hero did before he came into DotA
- How did he came into DotA (what event make it)
- How powerful the hero
2.4 Primary Attributes & Stats