Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
seacrac

Default Tri-lane is OP?

I am not talking about pubs but in competitive games. Chinese teams use tri-lanes in almost every games and there is no way to counter it except with your own tri-lane. Thus, 1-1-3 is the dominant laning strategy unless you risk one lane being totally ruined by the opponent's tri-lane. Thoughts?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
Green Yoshi

Steam: Yoshi
Guide Writing Award 
Default Re: Tri-lane is OP?

I almost want to put a Captain Obvious picture in here. Yes, 3-1-1 is the dominant strategy because it's the best way to guarantee maximum farm over your three farmers (2 solo, 1 babysat by 2 supports). But you sometimes end up with your own trilane facing a solo and your solo facing a trilane. Trilane-vs-solo is an easy situation for you but if it's the other way round, your solo will probably end up underleveled, somewhat underfarmed and forced to play very passively. But even this situation is favourable to 2-1-2 because having two heroes against a trilane simply results in an underfarmed carry and useless support hero, and having two heroes against their solo is often not enough to control the lane properly (for example, if that solo is Windrunner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGEND OF DIV View Post
competive play is useless to balance heroes
Quote:
Well I told you that last couple of years but as far I see nobody is deny anymore in Dota2 guess now all people realized that deny is useless
Old 09-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
s.ops_Freak

Yes, the era lane of dual lane is over.

They've went so far as to sometimes leaving the entire lane open.

Anyway, ever since this tri-laning got popular alot of heroes ran away from the spotlight. Great dual laners such as SK/Lina/PotM/Sven/Spectre/Panda/Slardar/PotM/Ursa etc and even if they are picked, they still have to change their playstyle as they can't afford to be as aggressive as if it was a dual lane they are up against.

We've came to see new picks such as Veno/WR/Enigma(solo)/Drow/Lion(solo)/THD/etc all because strong solo laners are needed in this era or because Range is an important factor in the tri-laning stages therefore leaving SK/Panda/Slardar, etc in the dust.

It's not OP but it does require alot of constant relocating yourself in terms of positioning, capitilizing on enemies mistakes (their bad positioning or choices), teamwork, chain disabling, your decisions (who to aim/when to disable, etc) and synergy with the 3 heroes picked (atleast 2 stuns and a carry for a tri-lane).

What do I think about tri-lanes?

I hate it TBH.

It completely ruins the fun factor in the game as the roaming role is almost non existent now since heroes are usually occupied in the tri-lane vs tri-lane already.

The replays are more boring to watch since there are now two solo lanes competing against each other in last-hitting.

There are less ganks occuring (atleast in the earlier stages of the game) since it's pretty obvious when one is going to occur knowing that a hero/es are missing from the tri-lane.

Warding is not required now since the game is more based on laning more than ever so there's less strategy involved, IMO.

New strategies will always come around, some providing to be more beneficial than the other and players will tend to stick to it. It doesn't matter if it's boring or not, they only care about what wins games and what loses games and tri-laning is one of those strategies that wins them.
Still a DotA 1 Fan? Cool! 2 Friends and I will be founding a room on RGC in the very near Future! When I say that this will be the only environment still worth playing, with regards to DotA 1, I mean it! Contact me if you're interested in becoming part of it
Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
kingtipop

^I tend to ward if I'm in the more passive tri-lane, and my carry is safe with just a support for a bit.
i.e, Morph+WD+Tide.
Me on tide I would roam between mid and my lane
Old 09-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
BlizziC

thats why you should play mid-skilled games, dual lanes and 1 solo, some cm pub games are actualy fun(playing serious)
even i suck with CM i managed to get 0-7-32 easly cuz its good enough, it was only 1 noob in that game, no need to play games where people trilane if you just play for fun and not somewhere you get damn serious
Time doesn’t stop
Prepare your doubts
Eat them up
Old 09-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
seacrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.ops_Freak View Post
Yes, the era lane of dual lane is over.

They've went so far as to sometimes leaving the entire lane open.

Anyway, ever since this tri-laning got popular alot of heroes ran away from the spotlight. Great dual laners such as SK/Lina/PotM/Sven/Spectre/Panda/Slardar/PotM/Ursa etc and even if they are picked, they still have to change their playstyle as they can't afford to be as aggressive as if it was a dual lane they are up against.

We've came to see new picks such as Veno/WR/Enigma(solo)/Drow/Lion(solo)/THD/etc all because strong solo laners are needed in this era or because Range is an important factor in the tri-laning stages therefore leaving SK/Panda/Slardar, etc in the dust.

It's not OP but it does require alot of constant relocating yourself in terms of positioning, capitilizing on enemies mistakes (their bad positioning or choices), teamwork, chain disabling, your decisions (who to aim/when to disable, etc) and synergy with the 3 heroes picked (atleast 2 stuns and a carry for a tri-lane).

I hate it TBH.

It completely ruins the fun factor in the game as the roaming role is almost non existent now since heroes are usually occupied in the tri-lane vs tri-lane already.

The replays are more boring to watch since there are now two solo lanes competing against each other in last-hitting.

There are less ganks occuring (atleast in the earlier stages of the game) since it's pretty obvious when one is going to occur knowing that a hero/es are missing from the tri-lane.

Warding is not required now since the game is more based on laning more than ever so there's less strategy involved, IMO.

New strategies will always come around, some providing to be more beneficial than the other and players will tend to stick to it. It doesn't matter if it's boring or not, they only care about what wins games and what loses games and tri-laning is one of those strategies that wins them.
True enough. I was about to post in the OP how the replays had gotten more boring with 2 solo lanes and 1 tri-lane, where all the actions occured in the tri-lane with basically no gank at all. After the laning phase, it turns into 5v5 team battles. Ganking is dead (although it long had, since the 6.64 era).
Old 09-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Varuka

Quote:

I hate it TBH.

Fair enough. Less roaming

WTF? It's a three-ring circus. Watch the TRILANES! Why would you sit and stare at a farming solo? The farming heroes become exciting later, and the trilane is the pre-show entertainment then.

And on the other hand, early game has gone from lasting 20 minutes down to lasting 10 minutes.

Fair enough. I would argue the strategy has shifted from lane-to-lane combat toward the action contained within one tight area, before exploding outward.
I really think it's the best thing to ever happen to competitive DotA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieaw.th View Post
Varuka you are best freind of the tree world in warcraft galaxy
Old 09-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
nobodyFTW

never thought of that in this way, very n1 explanation
Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
s.ops_Freak

Watching the tri-lanes itself is pretty much boring as well IMO...

Reason being is because it tends to get too repetitive/obvious on what's going to happen and who they're going to aim first (seeing that Venge stunning x hero, CM 'nova'ing' x hero and Morph finishing x hero off with Waveform isn't entertaining at all..).

I'd much the dual laning times where people actually had more time to respond to enemies, heroes wouldn't be so underleveled all the time and people could actually afford to leave the lane without worrying about their allies getting ripped to shreds.

With dual lanes, there was much more action in all 3 lanes rather than ALL the action included in one lane where everything is too obvious to entertain the viewers (atleast me).

Well what I'm trying to say here is, dual lanes provided more entertainment for viewers but in the end tri-laning will always be the more dominant strategy to win games no matter how boring/repetitive it is.
Still a DotA 1 Fan? Cool! 2 Friends and I will be founding a room on RGC in the very near Future! When I say that this will be the only environment still worth playing, with regards to DotA 1, I mean it! Contact me if you're interested in becoming part of it
Old 09-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
Varuka

Quote:
Well what I'm trying to say here is, dual lanes provided more entertainment for viewers but in the end tri-laning will always be the more dominant strategy to win games no matter how boring/repetitive it is.
I mean, that's not entirely true. If IceFrog decided he disliked trilanes, it's quite possible to alter EXP gain by adding dummy units (On Unit Death -> if dying unit is a lane creep -> grab all hero units in 1k AoE, if there's more than 3, create some dummy hero units, or reduce the exp bounty on the dying unit.)

Storm Spirit while, for example, gets less exp gain from killing with his ult because of the dummy unit created while he ROFL's is hero-based.

So, it's entirely possible to "nerf trilanes."

Quote:
Last edited by Varuka; 09-15-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
mahcookie

zomg imba nerfplox
Old 09-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
Skaloon
Banned

seriously, stop crying - few months ago everyone cried about turtle strats. how "boring" that was and shit, now trilanes are boring too? as far as i remember every single dominating startegy in competitive games was called "boring" for two years or so till now. damn i think it's not two years it's even more, competitive DotA was "boring" from the begining. remember the uncancelable dagger Era - every single gank ended by the guy who got ganked blinking the fuck out. if we could get some threads from those times, i think we would find guys talking about how "boring" DotA is. BTW, there was always a lot of "Boring" farming, positioning, turtling in DotA.

so if DotA is so "boring" why the hell to we play it, why the hell do we watch thsoe replays, why the fuck are we even discusing this "boring" game here?

just shut up and enjoy the game - which is really interesting. the positioning in trilanes by pros are so fun too see. and there are a lot of mid game fights these days, games actually got shorter and so on.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
s.ops_Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaloon View Post
seriously, stop crying - few months ago everyone cried about turtle strats. how "boring" that was and shit, now trilanes are boring too? as far as i remember every single dominating startegy in competitive games was called "boring" for two years or so till now. damn i think it's not two years it's even more, competitive DotA was "boring" from the begining. remember the uncancelable dagger Era - every single gank ended by the guy who got ganked blinking the fuck out. if we could get some threads from those times, i think we would find guys talking about how "boring" DotA is. BTW, there was always a lot of "Boring" farming, positioning, turtling in DotA.

so if DotA is so "boring" why the hell to we play it, why the hell do we watch thsoe replays, why the fuck are we even discusing this "boring" game here?

just shut up and enjoy the game
Same can be said for school.

Why do we play it? Because it's actually more fun doing so than watching most of the replays.

Why do we watch the replays? To educate ourself on what's happening in the competitive scene and to improve our individual/team skill by observing and analyzing what the pros do.

Why are we discussing it? Because that's what forums are created for.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
Estraz

What if your 2/2/1 lineup has the 1 person against a trilane, and the dual lanes against a solo? If you have strong laners that way you can do a pretty good job at not giving 2 of their solo heroes farm, whereas they'll only be limiting one of your solo's.

Might be stating the obvious here but even though I agree a trilane should be faced with either another trilane or a solo lane, I think a 2/2/1 could still be put up against it. Downside is you don't know where their trilane will be. If you have 3 heroes that could all hold a solo against a trilane you'd only need the supports to go to the right lane.

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

- M. Gandhi
Old 09-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
Skaloon
Banned

Quote:
Same can be said for school.

Why do we play it? Because it's actually more fun doing so than watching most of the replays.

Why do we watch the replays? To educate ourself on what's happening in the competitive scene and to improve our individual/team skill by observing and analyzing what the pros do.

Why are we discussing it? Because that's what forums are created for.
but it's not boring at all. damn those turtle starts was so interesting, you just have to see the little things, think about them, look at the positioning and so on. and now these games became way more action packed than they were few months ago and people are still crying how boring they are. almost everytime you can see 4x4, 3x4 or 3x3 fights before creeps spawn - due to trilanes. what can be more interesting? i don't get it.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #16
pilz

nvm
Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #17
Skaloon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilz View Post
Surprise! It comes from the chinese players, who INVENTED boring play. First ricing till minute x and rightclick, now that.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #18
Green Yoshi

Steam: Yoshi
Guide Writing Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estraz View Post
What if your 2/2/1 lineup has the 1 person against a trilane, and the dual lanes against a solo? If you have strong laners that way you can do a pretty good job at not giving 2 of their solo heroes farm, whereas they'll only be limiting one of your solo's.

Might be stating the obvious here but even though I agree a trilane should be faced with either another trilane or a solo lane, I think a 2/2/1 could still be put up against it. Downside is you don't know where their trilane will be. If you have 3 heroes that could all hold a solo against a trilane you'd only need the supports to go to the right lane.
This is actually quite an interesting idea. The downside is that if a team runs 1-1-3 they nearly always put their solo in mid. Which means you're gonna have to put a dual lane in mid, also from the solo mid position even against two heroes it's not hard to get farm (e.g. With long-range Shadow Raze) and you don't have the advantage of having a "mid solo" who can utilise the runes. After all, if you send one of your dual-laners from mid to grab the rune your opposing solo is going to farm which defeats the purpose of dual-laning it in the first place.

Quote:
competive play is useless to balance heroes
Quote:
Well I told you that last couple of years but as far I see nobody is deny anymore in Dota2 guess now all people realized that deny is useless
Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #19
lazymexican9

are you kidding me? trilanes are incredibly fun to watch. 10x more interesting than watching 2 range heroes harass the other team's melee hero in the lane. last hit battles are a thing of the past (except for maybe a bit solo vs solo).

small amounts of roaming is still beneficial. you just don't see stupid things like perma-lvl 1-roaming ES, which was a stupid idea imo b/c it relied on your enemy not having sufficient warding
Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #20
Varuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosArchangel View Post
This is actually quite an interesting idea. The downside is that if a team runs 1-1-3 they nearly always put their solo in mid. Which means you're gonna have to put a dual lane in mid, also from the solo mid position even against two heroes it's not hard to get farm (e.g. With long-range Shadow Raze) and you don't have the advantage of having a "mid solo" who can utilise the runes. After all, if you send one of your dual-laners from mid to grab the rune your opposing solo is going to farm which defeats the purpose of dual-laning it in the first place.
There's possible mitigating strategies for that. Putting one or two "hard deny" heroes mid (Enigma / Lich) could work.. or a hard deny and a soft carry. (PotM, lich)

You could then also roam one of the two from mid, reducing pressure on your other two lanes in a way the Trilane team would have a harder time responding to.

Even saying this sounds a little ridiculous.. but I'd give it a try.

Quote:
Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #21
Jakino2

I say its time for all mid strategy
Old 09-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #22
red_4900

0-5-0 anyone?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #23
Yurnero

Pretty sure DotA is meant to be played and not watched.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:10 AM   #24
s.ops_Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurnero View Post
Pretty sure DotA is meant to be played and not watched.
Soccer/Football/Tennis/Golf/Basketball, the list goes on.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #25
karadoc

My prediction is that even if dota itself is unchanged, this current dominant strategy will change again. I think it's interesting that new strategies come and go like this, and I don't think the tri-lane games themselves are boring.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:09 AM   #26
sniperattack

I find it kidna interesting actually, but I agree with karadoc.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 AM   #27
Bob_Rubb

I think it is a pretty good bet to let a solo against the trilane because it means 2 vs 1 + 2 vs 1 for the other lanes

This is OUROBOROS
--------------------->
EPIC barathrum video
Quote:
Originally Posted by refrag View Post
there's no need for logic in bara, just balls.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #28
sniperattack

Usually its 1v1, 1v1, and 3v3
Old 09-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #29
Shadow Fury
Banned

Suggestion Award 

Tri lanes are not OP. They're just hard to counter.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #30
Domenico
Forum Staff

Steam: barrogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaloon View Post
Damn i think it's not two years it's even more, competitive DotA was "boring" from the begining.
That's the point every pro-DotA thread contain. But global strategies are always shifting, with remakes and trend changes. And having strategy mirror every game... Well, it's common for dota, but breaking this tendency is nearly impossible.
At least, you can enjoy innovations every time metagame/trend shifts. It's less boring than playing a game for 5 years or more to see same things over and over again, even if it involves more strategies. Watch some old RTS games if you want an example.

And, after all, you always can play some CM pubs or not-so-serious inhouses trying something new just for fun.

Competetive games vs fun games are just like real warfare vs action movies - they are about different things.

BTW, a rare sight of a trilane raped by soloer really worth all described "boredom".

"The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments."
— Friedrich Nietzsche

------------------------------------------
DC and VG mod. Feel free to PM me with your concerns.
My Steam
Note that I have that infamous edit-a-lot-after-posting syndrome.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #31
vvjacobo

Steam: Parteculos

Trilanes can be "beaten" (you survive and farm a bit), you just have to choose one pick to fuck that tri lane.

I have done it easily solo with
Ezalor, pitlord, seer

I have done easily 2 vs 3 with
Omni + ranged (i did it with drow and razor)
silencer + abbadon

I have done it hard (got killed but i got some farm)
Alchemist leveling acid

And i bet there are even better ways.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #32
Rikoshay

MYM does that alot I've seen them do that alot in pub inhouses wars. it's pretty amazing how talentivly skilled they are but yes they play for the moneyzzzz.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #33
cro.pwr

i personally hate trilanes because u mostly have to trilane to counter them...
but against 2stunners/1ricer tri lane, ezalor is doing wonders :]
Old 09-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #34
Gute_Nachricht

It makes me sad. Because Tri-Lanes means no space to pick Chen. Chen is awesome. I hope the metagame shifts with the new update. I think tri-laning should be disencouraged, I have the feeling it wasn't intended in the game's design, but the again, I'm not IceFrog either.

Ulfar the Wendigo
Old 09-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #35
fr0zenknife

Imho, creeps should only give exp when there is 2 heroes at most.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #36
qoou

Or, you know, you could just get WR and put her up against the enemy tri-lane, then dual-lane both their solos. Only one person on their team could get any farm at all.

I surrender the internet to you. Farewell all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleSoul78 View Post
Bai for AX Batlefuri it make you diil mor DEIMIDJ wit spin ent wen u hev mor DEIMIDJ u nid to bai laifstiil for mor HELT POinT. en nol u lifstiil wit mor sple6 DEIMIDJ
Old 09-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #37
Sources

I don't really think its appropriate to call a lane configuration OP, as it is something both teams can do. Conversely, a hero can be "OP" because only one team can have it.

With tri-lane you can either beat it with a better tri-lane, or send a hero like WR and have her try and handle it.

But yes, it would seem tri-lanes are the dominant play style this version. Probably because of the continuous bonuses to assists (aoe gold,exp) for the past few versions.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #38
kawumm

Guide Writing Award 

i say who cares since both teams can form a tri-lane (and both only one)
/thread
epic

Old 09-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #39
fevgatos

A Rhasta + Ursa lane rapes those trilanes. Now add in a Sven TP'ing from the top lane to assist, it's a fucking hell.

---------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonLasher View Post
If I told you "AFK Mom just died" and afked right outside of your tower range with hold. 10$ says the most people would kill the hero, if you don't; your one naive child.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #40
kawumm

Guide Writing Award 

^ rhasta eats stun = profit? ursa dmg output is nothing great on low lvls either. also, why the fuck does sven have to come from top lane???
/thread
epic

Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat