Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
s.ops_Freak

Default KotL.

I have a skillbuild that I use consistently but I've been having some doubts...

Mine looks like:

Illuminate
Chakra
Chakra
Illuminate
Chakra
Illuminate
Illuminate
Spirit Form
Mana Leak
Mana Leak
Mana Leak
Mana Leak
Spirit Form
etc.

I max Chakra more than Illuminate in the early stages because the ability to spam > One strong Illuminate.

I stop leveling chakra after lvl 3 because I feel like that solves all my mana needs and leaves room for me to get my Ultimate much easier.

I don't really upgrade my Ultimate till later on because it's scaling is bad (only the CD decreases) which also leaves room for me to get that very useful Mana Leak much faster.

Ok, so I used to sacrifice one point of my Illuminate for Mana Leak but I find that the -100 DMG from it isn't worth it for a skill that might be rendered useless since it doesn't burn that much mana and can be countered easily since they are not obliged to move and even if they do decide to move, the mana drained is not significant. Besides, the casting range on Mana Leak is horrible at lvl 1 and the opponent would most likely see it comming and go back.

So.... what's your skillbuild and give reasons why...
Still a DotA 1 Fan? Cool! 2 Friends and I will be founding a room on RGC in the very near Future! When I say that this will be the only environment still worth playing, with regards to DotA 1, I mean it! Contact me if you're interested in becoming part of it
Old 09-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
^^DragonFist^^

Steam: ^^DragonFist^^
Default Re: KotL.

Your skillbuild is about the same as mine, but I would put a mana leak point at level 5 instead of that chakra (optional)
Old 09-23-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
asdfgadsfz12

1. I don't think you should keep Chakra at level 3 because it's for your allies as well.

2. Illuminate is very strong early game to harass and shoot from forest. There's no reasons you should be spamming it because you should be hitting all your illuminate on both creeps and players. I use Illuminate at level 3 when it's level 2.

3. I would keep ult at level 1.

4. Mana leak is good for the slow afterward.

I haven't used KOTL in awhile, but I usually just get aura based items for pushing creeps. AC, Shiva, Vlads, etc...
Old 09-23-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
KillerTaipan

I put an earlier point in mana leak..useful if someone just casted all their shit, and they are chasing you/ally, you can slow them pretty good.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #5
BlueRangerGoGo

Illu or mana leak at level 3 will be better. You can use a clarity pot if you have mana problems at level 3
Old 09-23-2010, 03:08 AM   #6
SG|The ShadowZ|

See which hero is at your lane and leak + illumate can be a wise combo for harass as they need to compensate either to loss mp or hp. For supporting nuke allies, chakra will be evident as well as advocative.

|[P]ara[S]ite|

Quote:
Everyone has a right to be stupid, but some just abuse the privilege.Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:31 AM   #7
beard

unless I predict lots of turtling, I will always leave illuminate and chakra at lv2 and max out mana leak first. At higher levels the mana lockdown is very valuable during ganks. Most of the time landing a full charged illuminate is impractical and I usually release it earlier, so I never bothered with full lvl illuminate until later in the game.

The other issue is that unless you are winning 5 teamfights in a row, you won't be past lv12 before the game is already determined. You will almost always have low level spells instead of having them at max level.

Also you should level ult whenever possible, you get more spirit form time and your blinding light lasts longer, it pays off.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
cuban-communist
Banned

^Much better. I often take a level of mana leak to use if i can catch the enemy. You can take off 20-60% of their mana as the first wave ends most of the time. People bring lots of tangos and salves, very few people bring enough clarities to survive aggressive mana leaks.

Illuminate/mana leak
Chakra
Illuminate/mana leak (whichever wasn't leveled)
Chakra
Chakra
ulti
illuminate
mana leak
mana leak
mana leak
chakra
stats/illuminate/ulti

Mana leak is insanely powerful. It robs a hero who runs of all their mana no matter what point of the game it is. Heroes with no mana are usually not very useful. Heroes who stand still for 8 seconds are usually not very useful. Win win.

Hitting people will lvl 2 illuminates is powerful throughout early/mid game. When ulti is up it is much easier to have it cast a level 2-3 illuminate then be forced to figure out where enemies will be in 5 seconds.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
andrfid

I always take Spirit Form at 6, 11 and 16, it's great for team
Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
qoou

In a regular game:

Illuminate/Chakra
Chakra/Illuminate
Chakra
Mana Leak
Chakra
Spirit Form
Chakra
Mana Leak
Mana Leak
Mana Leak
Spirit Form
Stats/Illuminate
Stats/Illuminate
etc

In a pub game:

Illuminate
Chakra
Chakra
Illuminate
Illuminate
Chakra
Illuminate
Spirit Form
Chakra
etc

I surrender the internet to you. Farewell all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleSoul78 View Post
Bai for AX Batlefuri it make you diil mor DEIMIDJ wit spin ent wen u hev mor DEIMIDJ u nid to bai laifstiil for mor HELT POinT. en nol u lifstiil wit mor sple6 DEIMIDJ
Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
^Eternity^

Better players often go for:

Leak
Chakra
Chakra
Illuminate
Chakra
Ulti
Chakra
Illuminate
Leak
Leak
Leak
Ulti
Illuminate
Illuminate
Illuminate
Stats
Ulti

Simply because 1 hero caught out of position will suffer greatly with mana leak burning away their mana.Spamming mana leak at lvl 1 i viable on melee opponents. Chakra is rather more important to spam on allies and since mana leak is a cheap spell compared to illuminate its better to use mana leak and let your ally spam spells in order to do damage/get kills.

Early game give mana to your partner every cooldown and your partner should be spamming his spammable skill anyways.Illuminates should be done from fog and sparingly since it takes a lot of mana and level 1 of it does too much damage with higher levels being useless pretty much.Also its easily detectable using a wand/stick.

Lastly hitting a maxed illuminate during teamfights is deadly but to make sure you hit your illuminate you can release it even in spirit form by simply pressing the ability hotkey T again.

A Rogue who wields a dagger can either be cunning; or careless; or just plain lucky. - Xiven

www.bits-pearl.com

for the best cultural fest in India for the year 2011.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
Milk

+1 on early Mana Leak. That skill isn't abused enough in-lane and it alone lets you dominate some lanes.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #13
chuavechito

In competitive games: you need to support and gank.

Mana
Chakra
Chakra
Ilu
Chakra
Spirit
Chakra
Mana
Mana
Mana
Spirit
Ilu
Ilu
Ilu
Stats
Spirit

In public games: you need to farm and push.

Ilu
Chakra
Chakra
Ilu
Ilu
Chakra
Ilu
Chakra
Spirit
Mana
Mana
Mana
Mana
Spirit
Stats
Spirit

Old 09-26-2010, 05:26 AM   #14
Cerealmaniac

This works fine for a pub farming Ezalor, but in competitive, where you are going for support, Ezalor needs Mana leak and Chakra early, and just 1 level of Illuminate. The extra illuminate damage is unecessary on a hero that isn't meant to get creeps or heroes. The Mana Drain is invaluable during early laning especially when combined with a level 1 Illuminate, they can either choose to get damaged, or lose all their mana. You will mainly be using Leak, and using Chakra to sustain allies' mana as opposed to your own.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:51 AM   #15
KuroNeko
Forum Staff

Just fyi...

Kotl's ultimate
-cd 80/70/60
-blind duration 3/4/5
-recall 5/4/3 (or so)

My build is pretty much the same as yours, but for a heavy support/ganking/babysit kotl, I've seen some guys get 2 illu, 3 chakra, then max mana leak.

Nuke without stealing creeps from carries, usually best when with a PL or something...

In a game where you might be soloing, your build is fine.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #16
leomon235

I only play KOTL with an aggressive laner like PL or ES, and my build goes:

Chakra
Mana leak
Chakra
Illuminate
Chakra
Spirit Form
Chakra

Aka, massive support build ftw. If I'm playing pubs, I'll forgo Mana Leak and Spirit Form and just go illuminate spamming ftw.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #17
rakmaninoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgadsfz12 View Post
I haven't used KOTL in awhile, but I usually just get aura based items for pushing creeps. AC, Shiva, Vlads, etc...
yeah AC is partially an aura orientated item. however, 35 out of 55 attack speed and 10 out of 15 armor is personal. -5 team minus armor aside, this is probably 60% a personal item. Don't act like it holds a candle to guinsoo. And your fantasy about aura based items makes me suspicious that you are the noob i was 5 years ago who thought he was pro for getting meka vlad necro on furion. I mean seroiusly, you can fantasize about being a poly-pusher, but a guinsoo is gonna help everyone so much more.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #18
Kris

Just max stats at 19

It fixes the feeder problem

SatireTrolling: the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #19
woozie how

Add one level of mana leak early and the build is fine.
I have a friend over the internet, he has 2 fathers (gay couple) and he has the happiest life a teenager cam have, he has a car, goes to best school and can bring girls to his room without any objection. and his is rich.

Course he'd like to know about his mom but its only blood for that matter. and he is happy enough with his fathers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NegiThree View Post
I have a friend, he is Jesus. He drove an SUV over the pacific ocean and we ended up camping inside an orange county dunkin donuts.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:41 AM   #20
†André†

Guide Writing Award 

While baby sitting that PL I basically go no
Mana Leak
Chakra
Chakra
Illuminate
Chakra
Spirit Form
Chakra

from then on it depends.. if I am still with the lane with PL, I level Mana Leak or else if I am defending towers or roaming I go Illu..

While not babysiting anyone I go.

Mana Leak
Illu
Chakra
Chakra
Illu
Illu
Chakra
Spirit / Illu
Chakra / Spirit
then proceed to max mana leak and so on..

Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 AM   #21
mykzgen

Pretty much the same whether you are support or push build. You level up chakra first.

I used to level up chakra and mana leak back when it stunned if I was full support but now, fuck it.