Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Cristiano375

Default Luna Moonfang Item build?

Hey, whats moon raider's item build?
so far people say PT, radiance, lothars, HoT, BKB, Butterfly or Buriza.... is that right?
and what some defensive stuff and hp regen items?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Idx

Default Re: Luna Moonfang Item build?

PT and dominator are core imho, the rest is pretty much up to you
Old 10-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Lulzicon

Radiance on Luna is like asking to get killed faster with her already low HP.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
woozie how

Treads bkb manta. Then get what the situation requires.
I have a friend over the internet, he has 2 fathers (gay couple) and he has the happiest life a teenager cam have, he has a car, goes to best school and can bring girls to his room without any objection. and his is rich.

Course he'd like to know about his mom but its only blood for that matter. and he is happy enough with his fathers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NegiThree View Post
I have a friend, he is Jesus. He drove an SUV over the pacific ocean and we ended up camping inside an orange county dunkin donuts.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Morlic

The build I put her up at CWs is the following:

PT > Bottle > Wand > Wraith > BKB > Agha > Manta > HotD > Butterfly

This is assuming to solo mid. runewhoring and gank. As for the runes... If your supporter placed uphill wards at both sides of the midlane (which in our opinion helps the easily-gankable Luna quite a lot), 90% of common midheroes can not follow you to the runes when you decide to go for them after Level 6 (yammy, solo hero eats Ulti+2 single Casts...). Therefore, you can obtain a decent rune control and controll the game ganking-wise while maintaining a good farm at midlane.

However, if we feel like the lineup needs Luna to carry a little bit harder, I go for HotD before BKB (though getting the Ogre Axe before maybe) to convert a neutral creep to keep stacking those ancients which are more or less made for Luna to take out (cmon those bounces rly hurt).

The build gives you quite good survivability (BKB+PT+Wraith+PB+Ogre Axe... c'mon) which allows you to cast a lot in teamfight and also bringing that Ulti through. Which is your main task. Obviously.

AS for pubs... I still go the same build. It is just too good. If the enemy team lacks disables/spells, skip BKB but thats it. Probably you want a HotD for insane ancient stacking before as well, so you end up fed by hero kills and cs-wise. However, sometimes the rest of the team just gathers "lol, watch this!! COME!" and takes out the ancient spot I stacked 6 times with 4 man, leaving me without that farm... Well, at least, they didn't feed meanwhile.

So for pubs:

PT > Bottle > Wand or Wraith > HotD > (BKB) > Agha > Manta > Butterfly
Old 10-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
deaded

agah is a bit poor on her, manta/bkb are the essential items.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Morlic

As of 6.68c you are perfectly right, however with the recent buff of Aghanims in 6.69 aline with the Manta-Nerf, I feel like Agha is way stronger to get.

When going for BKB first, Luna will not have that much agi/basedmg anyway so the Manta Illus will increase your dps only very slightly. Of course it adds much needed survivability but Agha (and the buildup via PB+Ogre Axe)offers you tons of HP as well. The Spelldodge is nice but not that much needed at that time of the game either since you will still have a BKB with more uptime than 5 sec quite likely.

Potentially 1,8k magic Dmg on a hero via 1 spell is no joke and Luna's Ulti can completely force people not to go for teamfights other than the lane-based ones (where the creeps will eat some nukes). Teamfights at rosh can really be screwed up by Luna when all beams hit heroes exclusively. Now of course the enemy supporters could just engage later, keeping distance. However, this gives you much needed time to turn the tide of the battle / to initiate.

Assuming you are planning to push heavily, Manta>Agha might be worth it, but don't forget that Agha helps you a lot (more) to win those teamfights which is definitely needed to proceed pushing.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Val

Guide Writing Award 

PT, HotD and BKB are your core if you plan to DPS.

I find caster builds with Agh's underwhelming. I don't see why you would want lothars (to cast your ult?) and much less radiance (which gets you focused).

After your core, it used to be that manta was the clear luxury of choice. With the recent change, it may be that butterfly is a better alternative, but the build-up is a pain. You have to realize that Luna's damage is quite powerful without spending gold buffing it so things like an early BKB are great. Anyhow. I'd get 1 damage item after the core and then work on a satanic. Luna needs to survive, but that's about all she needs to do.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
3.2_Sky_Dive

What about getting Wraiths and Agha on her-->massive hp&mana, as well as ok dmg and ias, so you can deal dmg with your attack but primarly you dont die too fast and you might even skip bkb and go for butterfly/manta directly.
This would go for caster/ulti luna early and with your good farming/ganking tools you can get enough gold to farm the dps items.
I know skipping Bkb is usually not an option, but with enough hp it seems redundant, as well as there will be bigger threats dps wise during midgame, and when you go dps you´ll get Manta-->it wont be too easy to focus you.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
chuavechito

Wand Treads Dominator
Manta
BKB
Butterfly
Satanic

Old 10-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
deaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val View Post
PT, HotD and BKB are your core if you plan to DPS.

I find caster builds with Agh's underwhelming. I don't see why you would want lothars (to cast your ult?) and much less radiance (which gets you focused).

After your core, it used to be that manta was the clear luxury of choice. With the recent change, it may be that butterfly is a better alternative, but the build-up is a pain. You have to realize that Luna's damage is quite powerful without spending gold buffing it so things like an early BKB are great. Anyhow. I'd get 1 damage item after the core and then work on a satanic. Luna needs to survive, but that's about all she needs to do.
id still say manta before butters mostly because it still gives you massive damage in team fights thanks to glaives.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
r3dman

If u want to have fun, go PT, Agha, Refresher (dont forget it also gives +40 dmg) and proceed to get DPS items AND EB (Domi can be gotten earlier if u want). Example of a teamfight:

1.Position yourself close to battle but not too close.
2.Wait for initiator to initiate
3.Are all enemy creeps/summons dead? If yes, go to 5. If no, go to 4.
4.Clean all creeps with glaive bounces or (if its just 1 or 2) with a manual lucent beam (i know its a waste, but unless u have to stop channeling, its nut much of a problem).
5.Cast your ult in the middle of the battle.
6.Use refresher.
7.Cast your ult again.
8.Autoattack enemies.
9. ???
10. Profit!

Well, this build is just if you are overfed xD

When 3v1 ganks go wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyampagn View Post
Meh Jesus is overrated...SK needs only 3 seconds to come back; 3 days and you call youself god? cmon
Old 10-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #13
hajasmarci

wraiths phase hotd bkb

treads is the standard but phase is just insane rite nao.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
Mordax

Edit:
Omfg my eyes hurt when I read how the trolls suggest to buy HotD right after treads...........
You probably never bought a bkb in your life.....
I dont know why everyone follows this shit built, my theory:
50% of the pubbies think they lifesteal from all glaives and 50% saw it in 2year old pro replays, where it was common that luna as carry STACKS ANCIENT SPOTS......

In early game dominator is serious fail, what does it help you in a clash when you run in with your ulti?
You do 2 hits and die.
Wow you stealed 50Hp thats awesome, and the 5 armor reduced 5% of all dmg since most of the dmg that killed you was magic.
You are dead and HotD helped alot.....

At the start you do DMG with your ulti -> the longer you live and tank the more dmg you do.
It is the same as with razor, the fact that both heroes are agi does not mean that you have do buy dps and lifesteal and nothing else.

So at the start get Treads and a tanky item, mostly Bkb.
If you play pub and your enemys picked agi shit only, go vanguard.
After that it depends on the game. You can get pretty much everything, Zepter, HotD, butterfly, manta. (illus have moonglaive)
Last edited by Mordax; 10-19-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
hajasmarci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordax View Post
At the start dominator is serious fail, what does it help you in a clash when you run in with your ulti?
You do 2 hits and die.
Wow you stealed 50Hp thats awesome, and the 5 armor reduced 5% of all dmg since most of the dmg is magic.
You are dead and HoD helped alot.....
5armor and stealing 50hp is like a ranged vanguard that has the awesomistic helm of iron will component, which is broken as hell, and can be bought at the sideshop unlike vitality booster.

hotd is the standard item after treads since like the introduction of luna. sometimes its even rushed before buying treads. it has nothing to do with trolling. you can easily wipe out creepcamps with it and it helps you to farm up bkb relatively fast.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #16
deaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajasmarci View Post
5armor and stealing 50hp is like a ranged vanguard that has the awesomistic helm of iron will component, which is broken as hell, and can be bought at the sideshop unlike vitality booster.

hotd is the standard item after treads since like the introduction of luna. sometimes its even rushed before buying treads. it has nothing to do with trolling. you can easily wipe out creepcamps with it and it helps you to farm up bkb relatively fast.
this pretty much - at the early stages of the game you shouldnt really be entering teamfights unless your ulti is up. Hotd means you can farm your bkb much quicker though in serious games i would be tempted to get bkb 1st.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:23 PM   #17
Mordax

omfg srsly are you.....
Old 10-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #18
Blackguy19

Power treads, manta , hotd ?
Old 10-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #19
RaiKay

Am I the only one who plays her as an early game caster, then moves to a semi-carry build towards mid game?
I go for 2x bracer, arcane boots then aghys (maybe get an urn as well). Play her as a roaming ganker/pusher and continually harass the lanes my carry is in. Then I start going for HotD, butter, manta, whatever.
I think playing her as an early carry is wasting the potential for a spammable high damaging nuke with a ministun.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #20
mxt

THreads -> bkb -> yasha -> dmg+ item -> finish manta

Edit: Yes, THreads. It's the new name now in .69c
Old 10-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #21
Blackguy19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxt View Post
THreads -> bkb -> yasha -> dmg+ item -> finish manta

Edit: Yes, THreads. It's the new name now in .69c
No it's not. In fact, 69c isn't even out yet.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
mxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky.ace View Post
Old 10-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #23
kaspa84

I think Ethereal Blade fits very well with agility hero- nuker concept of Luna. It's not core, but definitely a item to consider if your team has other heavy nukers.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #24
Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxt View Post
Take your crappy drawings elsewhere. Also, I just read the 6.69c changelog - it's Power Treads not Power Threads.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #25
AzureD

HotD first can work if your team can cover for you while you farm. It is in some ways like getting HotD on Drow. HotD does not only give you armor and lifesteal for defense but also a creep and damage.

Most of the time BKB is better especially when faced with very good players and I would know. Luna has been my second most played hero although I no longer play her much at all ever since the BKB nerf.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #26
Constant_jammer

In the beginning it is not super essential to spam boots. Her base MS is 320, which from level 1 - level 7 +- is more than perfect.

So what i do is this:

Vanguard
Normal boots
Mask of Madness - this means the Berserk can subsidize for your butterfly later on
Treads or travel
Butterfly or aghanims are essential late game.

Luna is an amazing Bush - especially since meeting up with an enemy hero or two XD is no problem at all with her ulti

Lothars for hero hunting
Old 10-23-2010, 02:14 AM   #27
AzureD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_jammer View Post
In the beginning it is not super essential to spam boots. Her base MS is 320, which from level 1 - level 7 +- is more than perfect.

So what i do is this:

Vanguard
Normal boots
Mask of Madness - this means the Berserk can subsidize for your butterfly later on
Treads or travel

Luna is an amazing Bush - especially since meeting up with an enemy hero or two XD is no problem at all with her ulti

Lothars for hero hunting
Vanguard and MoM are items I would avoid on Luna. I prefer items that increase survival and grant damage at the same time for her.

Treads, BKB, HotD, Butterfly, Manta, Wand, and even Aghanim provide this for her.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:06 AM   #28
EyeOfFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_jammer View Post

So what i do is this:

Vanguard
Normal boots
Treads or travel

Lothars for hero hunting
It's 330 now - she has the highest base MS of any hero.

Also: no love for blink?
Old 10-23-2010, 04:15 AM   #29
Clear

manta FTW!!

its super dps

actually i love push strat

this is awesome paired with naga

When she's a jail bait, it's better to masturbate.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:30 AM   #30
cc.jmk!

I usually get bottle, and then go Treads>Dominator>Lothar as core.. then i go for Butterfly.. If things are getting nasty, you may try Vand after lothar.. but not that recommended

As for the "dreamed set", you may try to aim for Treads+Satanic+Lothar+Butterfly+BKB+Bottle.

Aghanim and Manta are definitely good choises too.

Treads+Satanic+Manta+Lothar is probably even more powerful than my 1st choice. Manta Ilus have Moonglaives so :P imagine the results XD
Old 10-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #31
roatapatrata

2xbracer pt/arcane aga/manta
Old 10-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #32
centaminatOr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano375 View Post
Hey, whats moon raider's item build?
so far people say PT, radiance, lothars, HoT, BKB, Butterfly or Buriza.... is that right?
and what some defensive stuff and hp regen items?
PT > Wand > 2 Wraiths > BKB > Agha > HotD > Satanic > Butterfly/Manta/Micon

focus on getting items that increased your HP/MP first since You kill solely on Spells in early/mid game then later can get damage items..

in 6.69 Necromicon just too good too passed for many heroes. Micon also synergy well with Luna since dual auras are awesome and bonus Str+Intel provided by Micon is what Luna looking for..
Old 10-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #33
RandomFlamer

Blink dagger makes this tarded rightclick hero a bit easier to stomach.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #34
elsoloist

Currently working on a new guide for luna. I been specifically playing luna since she came out. The thing about luna is that her item build is highly dependent on the gameplay, due to the flexibility in her game. I tend to either go for 2 bracer + arcane + hotd or bottle + wand + bracer + treads. Point booster can be used to substitude either bracer or wand, depending on opposiing lineup.
Point booster is optional, and after that, it's usually a choice between finish aganihm, building a bkb, or building a yasha-manta. Typically against good caster lineup i'll be forced to build a bkb, and seldom do i have the chance to build aganihm scepter since it's not that game breaking on her unless u have a intiator like es that can seriously clear creep waves AND at the same time snare their team long enough for ur 12 lucent beams to land due to the long timing. Lothars pretty silly, blink can be situationally useful, and same goes for force staff (can happen when u build staff of wizardry first after point booster, when building aganihm, and realise u have mobility issues).

And to the post that says necronomicons, when are necro wariors counted as hero units?The speed aura is hardly worth the price, considering the str gain is really little, and the int gain is overkill.Snaring is also a problem considering her onli "snare" is a 0.7 second stun every 6 seconds. Early on, hp/mp is very VERY important. After that, use that early game advantage to either carry ur team to victory via dps, or via spell damage. It's totally dependent on the lineup.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #35
carpet muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordax View Post
Edit:
Omfg my eyes hurt when I read how the trolls suggest to buy HotD right after treads...........
You probably never bought a bkb in your life.....
I dont know why everyone follows this shit built, my theory:
50% of the pubbies think they lifesteal from all glaives and 50% saw it in 2year old pro replays, where it was common that luna as carry STACKS ANCIENT SPOTS .................................................

Omfg seriously? Explain drow. please
Old 10-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #36
wd.Ripper

Question Re: Luna Moonfang Item build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky.ace View Post
Loel i can't believe anyone fell for that :'D ?

HotD & Bkb, rest is situational.

Early game Bottle & Urn is really good imo, just gank 24/7. Every rune helps you alot (although illu not so much).
Old 10-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #37
petmaloo

PT and Domi is core if you want to carry. Abuse Domi by creep stacking neut camps or even ancients if you think you can handle them already.

The rest is pretty much what's needed in the game.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #38
xbox619

Treads,Dagger,Bkb,bottle,Manta,Hotd
Old 10-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #39
galuf

pt + situationnaly wand + situationnaly RoB + situationnal bottle(pub and no runewhores anywhere).

Then it's up to you, if your early is going well and you think you can outcarry other team fast (luna is a good carry) you should aim manta fast coupled with hotd and keep going for a traditionnal luna carry build with bkb/butterfly/sata/buzyra...

If your team has at least another carry or you are not really shining(not real lane domination 1 or 2 creeps average/wave, you should aim for agha bkb build (finish with a carry item, actually EB can be nice due to the fact that luna has a very strong nuke potential with ultimate and beam but you can aim for Butterfly, manta, sata...)

If you rely only on your ulti to dps (poor geared) you should aim for a bkb asap.

Rejected: dagger (a potential hardcarry must never buy that)
lothar (countered, don't work with ultimate, delay the rest)
scadi (it will take too much time for a cheap damage output, and it doesn't provide any escape mech)
bloodstone (certified useless)
tarasque (too expensive and you can really leech a lot of hps with bkb/sata anyway)
vanguard (HotD gives armor and is upgraded later, don't delay your gear)
eul/ghinsoo/force staff (delays too much, + you already have a stun and good ms)

synergies: manta + butterfly + EB: high agi gain (so dps so lifesteal in teamfights) coupled with a great nuking potential especially against a hard carry like trax. Add a BKB on you will not be ethered allowing you to keep fire.

Best late luna's build: BoT/Sata/BKB or Manta/Bury/Butterfly/Manta or BKB or EB or Buryza. (I prefer the buryza thing because in fast it almost double the crit chances)

You can see that agh doesn't worth it late game against other carry items so imo you should skip it if you managed a great early and focus on hardcarry stuffs.

OR you can play luna as a full support wich imo is lame because actually the hero fit to late game and you'll loose that strengh.

Lurked on "I'm the juggernaut, bitch"
Last edited by galuf; 10-23-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #40
Royal_Naga

Style 1: Walking Ulti

-Treads Str
-Aghaim
-BKB
-Eteral Blade
-Bloodstone/Linked
-Refresh

Style 2: Semi carry ftw?
- Phase Boots
- Poor Man Shield -> Sell it mid game and change it for vandguard/Hood of Defiance
- Diffusal
- Manta
- Buterfly
- Buriza