Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Lithary

Lightbulb Celestial Armor

I have always wanted to make an item which will give reliable Damage Block and an item which will be a non-supportive high tier item with magic protection, so this idea was born.
Anyway, lets start!

- Celestial Armor -

- Description -

Holy armor worn by Templars.

- Fun Description -

A blade can't cut trough this armor, and still cut a tomato!

- Components -

Vanguard (2225 gold)

Hood of Defiance (2125 gold)

Celestial Armor Recipe (500 gold)

Total: 4850 gold

- Bonuses -

+15HP/second regeneration
+300 HP
+30% magic resistance

- Damage Block (passive) -
Gives a 100% chance to block 30 damage for both melee and ranged heroes.

- Removed Active -
- Divine Judgment (active) -
Cast on target enemy unit and deals damage based on unit's sins.
Deals 50 damage plus 1 damage for every creep killed, 3 damage for every creep denied, 5 damage for every assistance, 10 damage for every hero killed and 20 damage for every building destroyed by targeted unit (damage type is magical).
Has 150 MP mana cost, 45 seconds cooldown and 900 casting range.
Effect/animation of this skill should be next: It should summon an angel (same one like Omniknight summons with his ultimate) above targets head and when angel swings his sword a Holy Light from ladder effect should appear and deal damage to unit so it makes this skill a damage skill with bit of a delay.
You should also have a vision of that unit and 300 AOE around it (unobstructed vision) for the duration of effect/animation and True Sight of targeted unit for the duration of the effect/animation (basically, vision and True Sight last from moment this skill is cast on enemy to the moment angel deals damage to it and goes away).
This can be cast on enemy heroes, enemy units and neutrals, but can't be cast on enemy machines and buildings.

- Reason -
Well, people already pointed out the fact that this item is a carry/tank item while the effect is for support heroes.
Every other ability I could come up with, but that it fits this item (both theme and concept), would be imba.
In the end, I simply decided to remove the active from the suggestion since other effects are still worth the money and main purpose of this item is still there - to give a advanced version of Vanguard and a non-support item which gives magic protection, so a tank/carry can use it as well.

Changelog:
• November 5th, 2010:
- Removed version with Poor Man's Shield.

• June 24th, 2011:
- Remade the recipe and some bonuses accordingly.

• July 3rd, 2012:
- Removed the Divine Judgment active.
- Changed the fun description.
- Reduced recipe cost from 1000 to 500 gold.

Well, that's it.
Sorry for all possible typos I've made and just remember to past down your divine judgment on me based on concept and not numbers, but tell me if number should be fixed!

Attached Images

Last edited by Lithary; 07-03-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Straight Flush

Steam: Cap
Default Re: Celestial Armor

so this aims for farmers and gankers right? Although I reckon the damage should be buffed a bit since if they were able to get that amount of kills they'd be pretty damn powerful
Old 10-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
mahcookie

Liek. But you might give it a dmg cap.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Mr. Foxxie

Nahhh, seems pretty balanced to me. T-UP

Though its a bit biased on the amount of farm your opponent gets. Its an anti-carry item that deals insane spell damage to farmers/gankers.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
baddyboy

Name : T-Up
Recipe : T-Up
Stat : T-Up
Effect : T-Up

Yup I like this armor. Though it would be a good idea to have a cap on it so it wouldn't get waaay to powerful....
Old 10-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
Lithary

Smile Re: Celestial Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKnight172 View Post
so this aims for farmers and gankers right? Although I reckon the damage should be buffed a bit since if they were able to get that amount of kills they'd be pretty damn powerful
You might be right.
I will think about it and will probably buff that skill.
If damage doesn't get buffed, then at least I will buff it's cooldown or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahCookie View Post
Liek. But you might give it a dmg cap.
No need.
By the time this stuff starts to deal some serious damage, target will probably be a really strong fella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkyBoi View Post
Nahhh, seems pretty balanced to me. T-UP

Though its a bit biased on the amount of farm your opponent gets. Its an anti-carry item that deals insane spell damage to farmers/gankers.
True.
Will help you against well farmed (and automatically well equipped) enemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddyboy View Post
Name : T-Up
Recipe : T-Up
Stat : T-Up
Effect : T-Up

Yup I like this armor. Though it would be a good idea to have a cap on it so it wouldn't get waaay to powerful....
As I said above, in case this item does some serious damage to a target, that means that that target is well farmed and well equipped and that it can take it.
Still, I will work on that skill a bit more just in case.

Thank you all for your support, I'm glad you like this item!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Hudacik

Finally something that doesn't hurt the poor supporters.
T-UP
Old 11-03-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
nijj

T-UP, really nice idea. I like it, hope I'll see it in DotA soon

Old 11-03-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
hoduc91

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijj View Post
T-UP, really nice idea. I like it, hope I'll see it in DotA soon
I think that you will never see it in DotA if it keeps its current form. There is no way an item which provides both magical and physical resistance can get its way in DotA. Moreover, why should an item's ability punish someone because they are playing well? I think that this is unfair, an item should rather buff the weak item-carrier instead of punishing an enemy hero because he plays well. All in all, T-down.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
GEBnaman

Very much T-Up.
This item is essential to any losing game and can extend games and perhaps change the tides of battle.

T-Up

T-up + T-up = 2 Thumbs up ^_^

Edit: I realized that this is a very noob-friendly item and perhaps might become the noob-tube of DotA like the Grenade Launcher is to DotA.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Lithary

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoduc91 View Post
I think that you will never see it in DotA if it keeps its current form. There is no way an item which provides both magical and physical resistance can get its way in DotA. Moreover, why should an item's ability punish someone because they are playing well? I think that this is unfair, an item should rather buff the weak item-carrier instead of punishing an enemy hero because he plays well. All in all, T-down.
You are looking at this item in a wrong way.
1st of all, I don't understand why there shouldn't be an item that gives both magical and physical defense, but OK, we could discuss this a bit more.
The thing I don't understand is, what do you think is wrong with this item's active ability?
Of course that you are going to punish your enemy for playing well, it's only natural.
This is an ability that helps you turn the tables around just like any other ability in DotA.
Also, there are other items that punish your enemies for playing good.
Look at the Blademail, it punishes enemies for playing good and having high damage (if you want to look at things that way).
There are some other skills that punish enemies based on how strong they are.
This skill only highlights that and is doing it in a original way, not done before in my opinion.
Since this item does damage based on how well enemy farms, by the time this skill starts to do some really serious damage, enemy is going to be farmed and equipped well enough that this skill will not be something that serious.
Like I said, we can still discuss about bonuses of this item, but I think that activate ability is perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBnaman View Post
Very much T-Up.
This item is essential to any losing game and can extend games and perhaps change the tides of battle.

T-Up

T-up + T-up = 2 Thumbs up ^_^

Edit: I realized that this is a very noob-friendly item and perhaps might become the noob-tube of DotA like the Grenade Launcher is to DotA.
Yes it is.
Newbies need some love to you know.
But anyway, this item is made to help turn the tides in case enemy is not careful.
I don't like games where enemy has an advantage and then he relaxes and just pounds you like a little bitch.
This item will make enemies think and stay alert to the end of the game since they could lose that advantage in case they are not careful.

Thanks for support everyone!
Old 11-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
hoduc91

First of all, don't say someone is wrong just because you don't understand what he is talking. Second, magical and physical can never go together in DotA. You should look at recent change made in Khadgar's Pipe of Insight, it used to give bonus armor but was removed later for balance reason. In DotA, there should never be an item which gives complete protection, IMO. Moreover, armor and damage block should also never go together because they both counter physical DPS. Having an item which gives damage block, armor, magic resistance is just an overkill, with this item, who would bother get a Hood/Pipe/Cuirass/Shiva, honestly? You can freely think about that. So, your recipe and passive bonuses are bad, IMO. Third, you should consider the impact of this item on DotA. Icefrog is trying to gear DotA toward having a faster gameplay by encouraging ganking, fighting. More teamfights, ganks will make DotA more entertaining to watch, at least IMO. Your item only encourages turtle playstyle and it doesn't fit the current trend. I am bored of watching over 60 min turtle replay in 6.52 or 6.67. Fourth, your active is bad and boring, IMO. The above items/abilities you mention contain a strategic use and require the player to have a good skill to make full use of it. Your active is just one kind of target-the-hero-with-highest-CS-or-kill/assist skill and it is done. It is bad to punish your enemy because simply he outplays you. It is your fault to give him too much creep/hero kills. It doesn't make any sense to punish someone simply because he plays well. If the active is that you receive less damage from that player if he has more kills than you then I will approve it. And finally, you should state a reason why this item should be implemented in DotA. I don't find any reason for your item to appear in DotA,atm. That's my opinion
Old 11-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
Lithary

Quote:
First of all, don't say someone is wrong just because you don't understand what he is talking. Second, magical and physical can never go together in DotA. You should look at recent change made in Khadgar's Pipe of Insight, it used to give bonus armor but was removed later for balance reason. In DotA, there should never be an item which gives complete protection, IMO. Moreover, armor and damage block should also never go together because they both counter physical DPS. Having an item which gives damage block, armor, magic resistance is just an overkill, with this item, who would bother get a Hood/Pipe/Cuirass/Shiva, honestly? You can freely think about that. So, your recipe and passive bonuses are bad, IMO. Third, you should consider the impact of this item on DotA. Icefrog is trying to gear DotA toward having a faster gameplay by encouraging ganking, fighting. More teamfights, ganks will make DotA more entertaining to watch, at least IMO. Your item only encourages turtle playstyle and it doesn't fit the current trend. I am bored of watching over 60 min turtle replay in 6.52 or 6.67. Fourth, your active is bad and boring, IMO. The above items/abilities you mention contain a strategic use and require the player to have a good skill to make full use of it. Your active is just one kind of target-the-hero-with-highest-CS-or-kill/assist skill and it is done. It is bad to punish your enemy because simply he outplays you. It is your fault to give him too much creep/hero kills. It doesn't make any sense to punish someone simply because he plays well. If the active is that you receive less damage from that player if he has more kills than you then I will approve it. And finally, you should state a reason why this item should be implemented in DotA. I don't find any reason for your item to appear in DotA,atm. That's my opinion
I am aware that this item can be improved, but having item that has defense against physical and magical attacks is OK.
I will balance this a bit more and then you can tell me what do you think.
But about effect.
It doesn't encourage turtle style play at all.
Hell, this actually encourages faster play.
How?
Well, if you make this item, your enemy will surely want to end game more quickly, don't you think?
Also, about 'Your active is just one kind of target-the-hero-with-highest-CS-or-kill/assist skill and it is done.' part.
Every skill has it's own way of being used.
You can say for Reaper's Scythe that it is just a skill that is used only for low HP heroes and that's that (same can go for Mana Void and Culling Blade).
This item is not only used for someone outplaying you.
This is standard nuke that becomes better and better as time goes.
Still, I will make an alternative version just in case.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
-Shahzal

Signature of the Week Winner 

The damage is based on your creeps/herokills/denys etc ,or the ones who u cast it on ?

Click On Ronaldo To View My Gfx Portofolio!
PM For A Sig
Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
l0r4k

I say no to items, that give all the kinds of defence in one piece. It's really not needed in current DotA.
No
__
I LOVE YOU!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
Lithary

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Shahzal View Post
The damage is based on your creeps/herokills/denys etc ,or the ones who u cast it on ?
It's based on the ones who you cast it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0r4k View Post
I say no to items, that give all the kinds of defence in one piece. It's really not needed in current DotA.
Why not?
I say that Pipe could use a little buff and this item could perfectly fit in.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:43 AM   #17
Shamanoid

I also have another suggestion :

Jesus's Upperbody armor
|
|
|
Components - Radiance(hand)
+
Hood of Defiance (Head)
+
Linkin's Sphere (off-hand)
+
Shiva's Guard (shoulders)

Info : What Jesus wore when he went to paintball.
Status : 20Hp/sec regenration, 55% spell resistance, +300% mana reg, +20 str, +20 agi, +50 Int, +17 armor, +60 damage, 50 immolation, Freezing Aura, Arictic blast and 20 Block spell

This is just a joke, and i'm a troll.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #18
Lithary

Bad troll attempt to be honest.
It would be much better if you sad that name of the item was Jesus' Boxers or something.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #19
Captain Planet
Forum Staff

Location: Frieza Planet 419, because nobody ever goes to Frieza Planet 419
Steam: Freaky Alien Genotype
Guide Writing Award Guide Writing Award Suggestion Award 

Active ability is awesome.

But Armour + magic resistance is a no-no. You'll have to remove one or the other. That's why old Khadgar's Pipe was remade to use HoR instead of Buckler.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #20
Cyclop91

t-up for the active only..like the idea..
the defense stuff seems OP
Old 11-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #21
Teare

Active ability is nice and all, I'm all up for it, but it doesn't seem to fit an armor. A sword, stave or ornament would fit it better. And like mentioned, damage reduction and magic resistance may prove to be really overpowered together. If it has to stay, it has to be jack-of-all-trades but master-of-none. Can't have your cake and eat it. T-up btw.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #22
Lithary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Juggernaut™ View Post
Active ability is awesome.

But Armour + magic resistance is a no-no. You'll have to remove one or the other. That's why old Khadgar's Pipe was remade to use HoR instead of Buckler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclop91 View Post
t-up for the active only..like the idea..
the defense stuff seems OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teare View Post
Active ability is nice and all, I'm all up for it, but it doesn't seem to fit an armor. A sword, stave or ornament would fit it better. And like mentioned, damage reduction and magic resistance may prove to be really overpowered together. If it has to stay, it has to be jack-of-all-trades but master-of-none. Can't have your cake and eat it. T-up btw.
How about if I reduce magic resistance to 15%?
The idea of this item is to have defense from both magic and physical attacks.
But if I have to choose between two, I would personally reduce magical resistance instead of physical in order to balance it.
Also, I know that it is strange for armor to have offensive ability, but the idea is somehow to bring up violent and merciless justice that from Templars.
You know, best defense is a good offense stuff.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #23
k5nn

why not try throwing in a little bit of auras
Old 11-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #24

edit: realised im mistaken... sry will do proper review later
Last edited by avatar0; 11-26-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #25
Lithary

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5nn View Post
why not try throwing in a little bit of auras
The idea of this is to make a aura free defensive item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar0 View Post
the divine judgement active is shit and btw its stolen from LoL
Erm, I wouldn't call it shit and it is not stolen from LoL since I don't play it.
I don't play LoL nor HoN.
Only thing I know about those two games (except that they exist) is that they originated from DotA and that's all.
Don't go telling people around that they stole something from somewhere when it's not true.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #26
darkish_emo

hmmmm... sounds familiar... i think this armor came from the mobile game Heroes Lore Winds of Soltia...Right?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #27
Lithary

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkish_emo View Post
hmmmm... sounds familiar... i think this armor came from the mobile game Heroes Lore Winds of Soltia...Right?
Not exactly since I never even heard of that.
Don't play mobile games at all.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #28
DigoO

this is like the old aegis of immortal
Old 12-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #29
Lavalampe

Quote:
Vouch
Overpowered perfect protection item with an n00b-nuke for bad players. Imagine this item on pudge or magina... They will be nearly unkillable for heavy nukers.
Or even Ursa will become a heavy tank that deals tons of dmg...

Old 06-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #30
Lithary

Changed the recipe and some bonuses.
Bump!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #31
DjBolo

T-UP I like this armor too
Old 06-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #32
FleshTRNDstone

Like the idea very much!
However, having said that, it will inevitably turn into an anti-carry item...for other carries!!

Possible solution?
Make it a supporter item only.
How?

Heroes with creep kills/ hero kills higher than a value of X, will not gain benefits from it.
(Heroes can use it, as long as their kill count doesn't exceed a certain amount, after that, it auto diss-assembles or something)

That way, it can only be utilized by supporter heroes (what it is meant to do), or carries who had a bad early game, and not be abused by already super strong farmed heroes.

Support! But only if you add some sort of mechanism to prevent heavily farmed heroes from using it.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #33
Lithary

I've decided to totally remove the active (look for reasons and explanation in the OP).
Old 07-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #34
okrane
Banned

can't say that I like it. I mean, it's just Vanguard + Hood in a single item (basically saving a slot). Not too many heroes get both of these and usually you are better off upgrading the Hood into the pipe, so I dunno. I guess it can't hurt but it doesnt seem to add much to the game.