Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Volaju

Default Phoenix Item Build?

Usually I can come up with an item build that synergizes with a heros skillset fairly easily, even if its a new hero. Phoenix however... is really weird. =P

All of his skills eat his own HP, so tanking up almost seems to be anti-synergy. On the other hand, life regen seems to be required, and if you don't stack HP, giving up 25% of your HP to cast might put you in the danger zone of nuke death etc. As a result, would hood (possibly pipe) / mek trump items like vanguard / heart, since they provide methods to recover lost HP rather than buffing the maximums?

None of his skillset is very physical DPS oriented, and 2 of his skills actually turn off his physical attack ability (lazerbeam and ulty) However, he is a ranged strength hero, and that fact alone should be taken advantage of...

On the other hand, because of that fact, items like manta / necrobook might be viable to give him damage dealing minions while he "channels" these other abilities?

I imagine 2 ranged strength images, and necro 3 minions attacking your enemies while you ulty makes it very dangerous for the enemy team to attack your egg, because they just might die in the process. These minions and images would also increase your damage output while using lazerbeam, which other items don't seem to match.

His beam costs a % of mana constantly, which means that much like storm, he would need massive mana regen to use it much. Would guinsoo be useful on him? Should mana regen not be focused on that much, and instead aim to succeed your combo, cast everything in your arsenal, and rely on supernova to regen at the end?

I had considered refresher as well... it provides hp/MP regen which is nice, but the kicker is you can do your dive/nova combo twice, and since nova itself restores your mana to full, that pays for the active cost on refresher orb.

Also, like any tanky hero, he could put AC to use I'm sure, though I really have no idea where I would fit that in. >_>

As you can see, I'm all over the place, and really can't decide. The following items seem at least potentially useful on paper though:

Treads / BoT
Urn / Wand
Hood or Pipe / Mek / Vanguard / Heart
Necro / Manta
Guinsoo / Refresher
AC

I have no real go to build atm, what have you guys tried, and how successful did you find it?
Old 12-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Leadblast
Banned

Default Re: Phoenix Item Build?
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Rather than AC I'd pick Shiva's. Mana pool for beam and armor which he needs desperately. He can't go with physical DPS anyway.

you're gonna need mass mana regen if you're to use beam often.
Last edited by Leadblast; 12-25-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
Vect

Yeah, this is a problem I've been facing too. As much as slark has synergy with almost every item, this guy doesnt have a real synergy with any.

Althought he has no real steroid skills I will be testing him with some DPS items, played like a huskar.
Laser is not that much of a dps as everyone claims and doesnt kick in until hitting 3000+ hp hero at which point it's possible he will have satanic or heart anyway.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadblast View Post
you're gonna need mass mana regen if you're to use beam oftem.
Well what else can you do after first 2 spells?
^ This is why most of the agi heroes like Troll, Slark, Mortred are always outshadowed by better carry picks in competitive and are good only in pubs.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
rumplea25

bloodstone.. max laser first
Old 12-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Myself

How to play him before he gets nerfed:
Skill spirits and laser, fuck dive. (If you suck, get it once)
Acquire Soul Ring.
Use Soul Ring.
Use Spirits.
Use Laser Forever.
You don't need anymore items.
Lazerzzzzzzz.

Also lets take a look at the basics.

He has insane base damage and decent +str, you'll see the base dmg getting nerfed in the next version and he isn't that good of a physical DPS machine anyway.
His armor is pathetic and so is his agi gain.
His intelligence is patheticish.

I think it's fairly clear that your main source of damage will be laser. Icarus isn't a solo hero, he is the backing artillery of a team.

The core item as I mentioned is soul ring. During the phases where your manapool is pretty low channeling laser won't take much out of it. The common strategy would be to use Soul Ring, spirits afterwards (pretty cheap mana and will completely make up for Soul Ring health loss AND laser health loss) and start firing your lasers.
Later items are completely up to the enemy team but regardless you want to go with as many utility items as possible. Mainly items like Pipe and Meka. They increase your survivability while lasering and are helpful to your team.
You could also go for Blink/Force if you find yourself in need for more mobility but I think his Dive is more than able to cope with his style of play.
Last edited by Myself; 12-25-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
LimitbreaKer

Bloodstone fixes all the problems for me.

Could consider Linken's...
[22:14] NeC.madchen: i made "calculations in the warehouse" in c# and prof gave me A
[22:14] NeC.madchen: he said: u imba, u so pro
[22:14] NeC.madchen: and i said u noob, gg no re
Quote:
[17:23] deaded: please insult me im scottish i get off on that shit
Quote:
[16:41] CRO_ZeuS: fuck u then
[16:42] Bart0zzo: u2
[16:42] Bart0zzo: where are ur friends?
[16:43] Reynevan: oh, there's my friends!
[16:43] Reynevan: which slot can i take?
Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Leadblast
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself View Post
Acquire Soul Ring.
Use Soul Ring.
Use Spirits.
Use Laser Forever.
You don't need anymore items.
Lazerzzzzzzz.
yeah. Neglect arguably his best skill. Use SR. Use lazerz forever. Tear your own HP bar in pieces dumb.
I'm quite surprised you didn't suggest Armlet at this point in time.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
Vect

Quote:
yeah. Neglect arguably his best skill. Use SR. Use lazerz forever. Tear your own HP bar in pieces dumb.
I wouldnt say it better myself.

Burst dmg (dive) > dot (laser)

And it serves for positioning, for escape, for a much easier ulti usage etc.

% skills scale late game while fixed burst dmg does not, I cannot find any reason to max laser over dive
^ This is why most of the agi heroes like Troll, Slark, Mortred are always outshadowed by better carry picks in competitive and are good only in pubs.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
Myself

Quote:
Tear your hp bar to pieces? Did you even test out what I said? Your spirits will heal you to full once you unleashed your spells and the SR buffer will give you around 10 seconds of FREE LASERING not to mention the entire process will HEAL YOU. I think the +150 and 1.5 disarm time lvl4 has over lvl1 PALES IN COMPARISON to a 28% slow difference and +30 base damage.
Maxing dive and neglecting laser is the newbies way to play, those who can manage their hp right should have no problems stomping with laser spirits phoenix.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
Vect

Where are you playing? This will only work in a low level pub with auto attacking mortred who doesnt know how to back off a little or juke right left.

In anything more serious, YES, 150 burst dmg and 1.5 second of disarm do make a difference.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vect View Post
Where are you playing? This will only work in a low level pub with auto attacking mortred who doesnt know how to back off a little or juke right left.

In anything more serious, YES, 150 burst dmg and 1.5 second of disarm do make a difference.
Please read what I wrote correctly before responding.

I didn't say it doesn't make a difference, I'm saying the lasers' slow makes more of a difference, you feeling me?
Naturally getting laser works better when you're in a dual or tri lane primarily because phoenix is one of those heroes who is 10x more effective with a partner. If you are (for some reason) soloing it might be better to get dive if you intend to snatch some early kills as the lasers damage will more or less be the same and there is too little room and time for long maneuvers which is where the laser slow would ordinarily shine.

Obviously I know it's a tradition in Strategy to call any 'non-traditional' (how does this even apply to a hero out for 1 day) skill build to be mocked and to point out how 'it only works in pubs' but if you give what I said a slight thought you might see how laser is better in a supporting fire role phoenix.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #12
Volaju

I've played him a few more times now and goten much better at it, I can honestly say you're a healing machine if you get Mek + Urn. You're also rather tanky, though I blame his retarded str growth that im sure is going to get nerfed next patch.

Anyway the item build I seem to like most atm is:

Str treads
Urn
Wand
Mek
Linkens

If the game progresses, you could work toward bloodstone, or get a platemail and make an armor item if the need is there.

These items all give him HP in some way, and every item aside from treads gives MP regen for spam. You can heal allies with mek + urn + spirits, and you heal yourself with those as well, and the linkens / bloodstone obviously heal you up as well... you become a fountain, litterally. Like you know how fountains pewpew with a line of death while healing everyone. Thats you >_>

I still like the concept of necrobook on him since he permasnares and minions improve his DPS during laser attacks, but it might not be core afterall. Still nice though.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
Leadblast
Banned

Quote:
Tear your hp bar to pieces? Did you even test out what I said? Your spirits will heal you to full once you unleashed your spells and the SR buffer will give you around 10 seconds of FREE LASERING not to mention the entire process will HEAL YOU.
They will heal you after 12.5 seconds since the moment you used the spell. Don't you think that too many things can happen during that time interval?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
Vect

Quote:
Please read what I wrote correctly before responding.

I didn't say it doesn't make a difference, I'm saying the lasers' slow makes more of a difference, you feeling me?
Naturally getting laser works better when you're in a dual or tri lane primarily because phoenix is one of those heroes who is 10x more effective with a partner. If you are (for some reason) soloing it might be better to get dive if you intend to snatch some early kills as the lasers damage will more or less be the same and there is too little room and time for long maneuvers which is where the laser slow would ordinarily shine.

Obviously I know it's a tradition in Strategy to call any 'non-traditional' (how does this even apply to a hero out for 1 day) skill build to be mocked and to point out how 'it only works in pubs' but if you give what I said a slight thought you might see how laser is better in a supporting fire role phoenix.
Laser Pros:

Toggleable skill,
Range,
Slow,
Pure dmg dot that is effective against tanks

Cons:

Movement cripple,
Hard to keep focused on anyone above 300 ms,
Scaling mana and hp cost

While the above is irrelevant for an argument I wrote it as a reminder.

Quote:
While slow is good, it is unreliable thanks to turning speed.

I will once again bring up my previous point. In a serious game (not gosugamers competitive, the games where people have some skills and dont pick 5 agi carries and cooporate together) burst dmg and 3.5 sec disarm makes MORE difference than a situational and unreliable slow that can be microed out (EVEN when disabled you would end up doing more dmg with burst and auto attack on a target)
I am not arguing you because the build is "non-traditional" (I personally like mjolnir and blademail on this hero to make some lighings pop up while my spells are on cooldown ), I am doing it because current dota metagame is aggresive doesnt really fit laser rush, I dare to say it doesnt even fit phoenix skillset at the moment.
Even viper is not a popular pick now althought he is an amazing laner and ganker.

Personally more that I think of it, I am seeing more similarity with THD. They both build tankish items while they unleash their spells.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
hajasmarci

treads dagger bkb
Old 12-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #16
Unfawkable

Bloodstone or Linkens is good if you main the laser, if not, a regen item such as hood is good, though I'd avoid Vanguard since he's range, but it works I guess. Radiance is also pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by potog View Post
I was killing other kids when I was a kid and I don't brag about it
Old 12-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #17
LysanderXonora

Quote:
Skill spirits and laser, fuck dive.

Quote:
Tear your hp bar to pieces? Did you even test out what I said? Your spirits will heal you to full once you unleashed your spells and the SR buffer will give you around 10 seconds of FREE LASERING not to mention the entire process will HEAL YOU. I think the +150 and 1.5 disarm time lvl4 has over lvl1 PALES IN COMPARISON to a 28% slow difference and +30 base damage.
Maxing dive and neglecting laser is the newbies way to play, those who can manage their hp right should have no problems stomping with laser spirits phoenix.
You try me. Use laser only. No dive. One hammer from rk and you're back at your fountain. You must be playing some noob pub to even think it works. Yes he heal is good, BUT IT TAKES 10 SECONDS. YOU CAN DIE MANY TIMES OVER IN THAT 'SHORT' TIME.

@TS, Well I'd go mekan (early headdress) treads/phase (situational), refresh (too good to pass up) and then AC or Shivas.

Visit my blog here.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:31 AM   #18
Vinc3nt

blademail?
it gives you armor and int gain a little that mean gives you mana and regen. beside that you can counter carry from return damage and after using your blademail and get lot of damage, you can use your ulti to heal yourself
any opinion?
Old 12-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #19
randashield

well, guys, phoenix is one hell of a hero. but i'm kinda disappointed since i haven't seen any thread for tuskarr, his a strength but very cute hero with incredibly cute skills. like it doesn't seem to match with his appearance. i kinda think that he is an earth based hero. lol! when i played him, its like i wanna shout 'it's time to play snowbalLLLLLL'..... lol!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #20
Lycan
Forum Staff

Another ranged tank that's a masochist... so adapting huskar bracers(jango) treads soul ring armlet/hotd/bkb

Death is the only true winner of war
Old 12-26-2010, 01:18 AM   #21
Carman

When I played him, I tried out talisman of evasion (had some extra gold), and it actually worked quite well considering his ult requires a # hits to kill him. Icarus dive + Supernova into battle was good.

My build was bracer, bottle, arcane boots, talisman of evasion, and then HoT. I was unsure about HoT because the his spells cost a percentage of his hp, but the regen was great.

"The closer you are to the light, the greater your shadow becomes."
Old 12-26-2010, 01:50 AM   #22
LysanderXonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
Another ranged tank that's a masochist... so adapting huskar bracers(jango) treads soul ring armlet/hotd/bkb
Except phoenix haz no beserk blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman View Post
When I played him, I tried out talisman of evasion (had some extra gold), and it actually worked quite well considering his ult requires a # hits to kill him. Icarus dive + Supernova into battle was good.

My build was bracer, bottle, arcane boots, talisman of evasion, and then HoT. I was unsure about HoT because the his spells cost a percentage of his hp, but the regen was great.
You mean talisman affects sun??

Visit my blog here.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:02 AM   #23
CrimsonArch

I just tried the soulring laser forever build in a pub. It does decent dmg, but you need a stunner or something if you want to kill someone with it, i took little to no dmg from the healthcost thanks to the birds, but I don't know how it would go if I was ganked while doing it.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:08 AM   #24
KoR.zERo.DVL

Quote:
Acquire Soul Ring.
Use Soul Ring.
Use Spirits.
Use Laser Forever.
Also get MoM and Armlet. you'll be owning yourself

<--

I AM PROUD TO BE PINOY. AND IF YOU HATE PINOY, t(-.-t)
Don't Judge us when your country ain't no better
Old 12-26-2010, 02:11 AM   #25
Carman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LysanderXonora View Post
Except phoenix haz no beserk blood

You mean talisman affects sun??
Yep, that's what it seemed like. I'm not 100% sure atm, I'll have to confirm.

Edit: Not so sure anymore. it seemed like some hits weren't reducing my hp bar, but I may have been mistaken. If anyone knows, some confirmation would be nice.

"The closer you are to the light, the greater your shadow becomes."
Last edited by Carman; 12-26-2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:11 AM   #26
Vect

More I play him more I go for DPS build after survivability items (vg, hood or bracers), later HoT, AC.. imo infact he can be played as huskar.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:43 AM   #27
The_Reaping

I always stack strength items, and HP items, HoT, Vanguard, Sange, etc. I always end up with a positive KDR.. I also end up with over 3k HP which never seems to drop low enough to die.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:55 AM   #28
ZΣD

how about bloodstone?
Old 12-26-2010, 04:41 AM   #29
SnakeSolid

My first core item is Arcane Boots. This is to allow me to spam spirits for the heal or to harass early game. Spirits give Icarus incredible lane staying power and Arcane boots allows him to never be unable to use it after a harass/near death. Spamming Dive is not advised though due to it's slightly long cooldown and you may not be able to use it when you need it. The reason I choose Arcane Boots over Treads is because Icarus is unable to benefit from the attack speed and since his spells all use up a percentage of his mana/hp pool, getting more mana/hp is not as good as getting regen. When I got Arcane Boots, I found that it's usefulness remained throughout the entire game, unlike when using other heroes as the mana used for Sun Ray increase as he levels up. Arcane Boots is technically also a free heal as it gives him mana to use his spirits to heal himself. This is, however, up to you. If you feel that Icarus dies very easily after using his hp consuming spells and that the spirits do not heal him fast enough, then go for it.

After that I always get Bloodstone, building up from perseverance and getting energy booster last. This is because all the skills remove a percentage of his health/mana, while the regen is constant. Thus, theoretically, by getting the energy booster last, you are able to use Sun Ray for extended periods of time. For Icarus, regen > hp/mana, similar to Storm Spirit and his Ball Lightning.

Linken's is also a viable choice as it provides mana and hp regen also, coupled with an amazing spell block. However, I prefer bloodstone to Linken's as Icarus's nature is to stand at the edges of the battlefield providing his stable DPS and slow, and to finish off fleeing enemies with dive while healing allies with his spirits. This allows him to accumulate lots of charges while his ultimate and his tendency to be at the back of the fight makes losing the charges unlikely. This also means that it is usually difficult to target Icarus with spells of any sort as the enemies have to get through the entire team to get to Icarus. However, if you are facing a hero with an annoying single target spell (e.g. a Lucifer that is always using Doom on you), Linken's is by no means a bad choice.

I feel that Sun Ray is Icarus' signature spell, apart from his ultimate. While Dive and Spirits should be maxed early for the damage, heal and escape mechanism they give, not to mention good laning capabilities, once Sun Ray is maxed in the mid game, it turns Icarus into a powerful caster-dpser. Thus, I focus my build on being able to use it for long periods of time and also to be able to have enough mana for his other spells as well. Early game Sun Ray is not so effective as the opponents' health is not high enough for it's percentage damage to be good though, so generally I refrain from getting it early.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:48 AM   #30
Royal_Naga

Quote:

Edit: Not so sure anymore. it seemed like some hits weren't reducing my hp bar, but I may have been mistaken. If anyone knows, some confirmation would be nice.
Supernova ignore the hits from no-hero units (tested)
Old 12-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #31
[AirCoN]

Final item build:
2 bracers
Pt strength
Heart
Heart
Heart
Heart
Heart
Heart
Heart
Heart
Heart
Heart
Heart
Heart
Heart
Heart
Healing salve<- emergency
Old 12-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #32
feral_nature

mek>bloodstone>cuirass for me.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #33
Whatever

Quote:

talisman have nothing to do with it, since item is disabled while icarius in sun mode,IMO the hits that doesn't reduce your hp bar is come from a very low damage hit (from creep for example) because your damage reduction is around 98% but hero damage surely will give you 1 damage
Old 12-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #34
Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by LysanderXonora View Post

Yes he heal is good, BUT IT TAKES 10 SECONDS. YOU CAN DIE MANY TIMES OVER IN THAT 'SHORT' TIME.
This is where the skill comes in. Knowing when to go in.

In most cases you will get away with the standard use spirits and immediately go in tactic as long as you got some allies with you. However there will be times when you will need to time your entry, what I mean is use spirits, wait a few seconds and then go in. Not difficult I think?

As for laser being difficult to target, since when was difficulty an argument against taking a skill? His laser is all about positioning. Look at it in a purely mathematical way, the further the target is from your laser the easier it will be to track him and this is why phoenix should never be up and personal with his targets. If things go for the worst and you need a radical direction change don't be afraid to cancel your current laser and make a new one. Knowing when to move and when to stay put is also one of the keys to mastering the laser, tactics range from spamming the hotkey for miniature movements to selective movement control.

For me the laser is a much more rewarding skill than the dive. However nothing is yet set in stone. It is quite clear Phoenix will be nerfed in several ways and for now there are quite a few ways in playing him ranging from the backing fire support to the insane tank hero to the physical DPS machine.
In my opinion however I think his base damage will receive quite a nerf along with his str gain and probably his heal as well which would cripple the last two roles I mentioned quite severely. I mean after all we don't need anymore of those heroes now do we?
Old 12-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #35
eminenz

I just played him in pubs up to now but it worked quite well there. Firstly I go for RoB, Wand and Arcane Boots, sometimes Headdress. Then I build Perseverance or Point Booster, when there are many nukers in the other team. At last I dissassemble the Boots and complete Bloodstone with the Energy Booster.
My Skillbuild is usually

Dive
Laser
Heal
Heal
Heal
Ulti
Heal

Max Dive then Laser
Old 12-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #36
rumplea25

Quote:
This is where the skill comes in. Knowing when to go in.

In most cases you will get away with the standard use spirits and immediately go in tactic as long as you got some allies with you. However there will be times when you will need to time your entry, what I mean is use spirits, wait a few seconds and then go in. Not difficult I think?

As for laser being difficult to target, since when was difficulty an argument against taking a skill? His laser is all about positioning. Look at it in a purely mathematical way, the further the target is from your laser the easier it will be to track him and this is why phoenix should never be up and personal with his targets. If things go for the worst and you need a radical direction change don't be afraid to cancel your current laser and make a new one. Knowing when to move and when to stay put is also one of the keys to mastering the laser, tactics range from spamming the hotkey for miniature movements to selective movement control.
This is one of the best way to play phoenix. That's exactly how I play. Its just that its difficult to do if you don't have competent ENOUGH teammates because laser needs quite some time to kill a full or 3/4 hp hero. Well if you don't have competent ENOUGH teammates anyway, don't expect to win with phoenix.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #37
Hero Hunter

I have been doing Power Treads, Basillus, Urn of Shadows (this is great on him), Eul's and Linken's. It works fine

I would consider some luxury items like Guinsoo, Tarrask, Bloodstone, Shiva's, Satanic or Skadi.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #38
Vect

Quote:
It is quite clear Phoenix will be nerfed in several ways and for now there are quite a few ways in playing him ranging from the backing fire support to the insane tank hero to the physical DPS machine.
In my opinion however I think his base damage will receive quite a nerf along with his str gain and probably his heal as well which would cripple the last two roles I mentioned quite severely. I mean after all we don't need anymore of those heroes now do we?
Where are you taking this info from?

Majority of community on this forums is saying Phoenix is quite balanced by his cooldowns and armor, some even suggest a buff and say he is underpowered.

Now I know Icey doesnt always do what community wants but lets go back 1 year in the past...

Slark was "voted" to be balanced aswell and he didnt recieve any nerfs.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #39
LysanderXonora

Quote:

Supernova is not affected by any items u hold..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSolid View Post
My first core item is Arcane Boots. This is to allow me to spam spirits for the heal or to harass early game. Spirits give Icarus incredible lane staying power and Arcane boots allows him to never be unable to use it after a harass/near death. Spamming Dive is not advised though due to it's slightly long cooldown and you may not be able to use it when you need it. The reason I choose Arcane Boots over Treads is because Icarus is unable to benefit from the attack speed and since his spells all use up a percentage of his mana/hp pool, getting more mana/hp is not as good as getting regen. When I got Arcane Boots, I found that it's usefulness remained throughout the entire game, unlike when using other heroes as the mana used for Sun Ray increase as he levels up. Arcane Boots is technically also a free heal as it gives him mana to use his spirits to heal himself. This is, however, up to you. If you feel that Icarus dies very easily after using his hp consuming spells and that the spirits do not heal him fast enough, then go for it.

After that I always get Bloodstone, building up from perseverance and getting energy booster last. This is because all the skills remove a percentage of his health/mana, while the regen is constant. Thus, theoretically, by getting the energy booster last, you are able to use Sun Ray for extended periods of time. For Icarus, regen > hp/mana, similar to Storm Spirit and his Ball Lightning.

Linken's is also a viable choice as it provides mana and hp regen also, coupled with an amazing spell block. However, I prefer bloodstone to Linken's as Icarus's nature is to stand at the edges of the battlefield providing his stable DPS and slow, and to finish off fleeing enemies with dive while healing allies with his spirits. This allows him to accumulate lots of charges while his ultimate and his tendency to be at the back of the fight makes losing the charges unlikely. This also means that it is usually difficult to target Icarus with spells of any sort as the enemies have to get through the entire team to get to Icarus. However, if you are facing a hero with an annoying single target spell (e.g. a Lucifer that is always using Doom on you), Linken's is by no means a bad choice.

I feel that Sun Ray is Icarus' signature spell, apart from his ultimate. While Dive and Spirits should be maxed early for the damage, heal and escape mechanism they give, not to mention good laning capabilities, once Sun Ray is maxed in the mid game, it turns Icarus into a powerful caster-dpser. Thus, I focus my build on being able to use it for long periods of time and also to be able to have enough mana for his other spells as well. Early game Sun Ray is not so effective as the opponents' health is not high enough for it's percentage damage to be good though, so generally I refrain from getting it early.
I kind of disagree. I completely ignore heal early on. I go for a Gaulent, branch, headdress recipe and 6 tango. Then i skill dive. Afterwards laser,laser, dive,laser, ulti, dive, dive, heal, laser, ulti etc. etc.

Heal is the real useless one early game. The damage it deals is =.= and the healing is not as worth it imo. The reason more laser is cause of the ridiculous 32% slow at lvl 4 and its massive damage. You use your laser from the forest on a hero, your partner goes in and stun him, and afterwards you'll have no problem killing him and his partner if you're lucky. Whereas heal just makes it hard for you to actually kill..this has worked every game and just owns with prophet.

My subsiquent items would be PT, Headdress, Persa, and then Refresher. If we still havent won I'd get an AC.

Visit my blog here.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #40
trackts

mek>Perserverance(later linkens)>Hood did pretty good on him. Regen of mana and HP is better for him instead of stacking pool beacause all is % based. Adding EHP and Regen is the best way to handle the costs since he don't take much damage unless you dive in with the birds. I prefer stay at safe range shoting my lazors!!!
  Defense of the Ancients Game Strategy