Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:39 AM   #1
IceFrog
Administrator

Default Suggestions Forum

The new suggestion forum is not ready yet. We are going to be doing a new structure for how suggestions work moving forward. There isn't an exact schedule yet for when it will be available, but I'd like to say a little about the objectives here so you guys can give your thoughts.

The primary goal is to have a system that focuses more on the debates and discussions of ideas. Various factors need to be considered when evaluating what to implement: things like development time, how it affects all players and not just one segment of the playerbase, what the short term and long term gameplay ramifications would be, how it affects player enjoyment levels, game depth, etc. Another goal is to shift away from a very high quantity suggestions to fewer but more manageable quality ideas. A healthy discussion oriented system that takes a variety of different game design evaluation metrics into account has the potential to be both an interesting experience for the people who enjoy suggesting ideas but also more useful to me personally as a developer.

If you have any ideas about how to setup the new system, post in this thread. In the meantime, you can post suggestions in whatever manner you are used to. Use labels like [Gameplay] or [Cosmetic] before your thread title.

Update: I thought Polls were disabled before, they are now disabled. Until we come up with the new system we are going to use (which will take a bit of time), I'd prefer if people focused on the discussion and debate of a feature rather than on a simple vote that usually ends up ignoring the most important aspect of the suggestions process. We lose very valuable information about whats good and whats not good for the game if people are just encouraged to do a vote without explaining, it also leads to people misvoting because they feel bad to TD. So for the meantime, focus on just explaining why something is good or isn't good and analyzing what effects it would have both on development time and on gameplay depth and quality.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Euquila

In order to move away from having lots of suggestions--most of low quality--to having a smaller pool of suggestions of high quality, there has to be a mechanism that quickly and effectively moves low quality threads to an "unsuccessful" bin. Here, the suggestions can still be viewed and edited upon, and the thread starter may even request for a review--which would move the thread back to suggestions forum.

Such a mechanism would undoubtedly involve mods. Perhaps if X-number of mods disapprove then the suggestions is immediately moved to the "unsuccessful" bin? This would help keep things tidy in the suggestions forum so that visitors have a more enjoyable experience.

I do agree that too many suggestions at one time makes the whole system ineffective. It's better the have a few that everyone can focus/debate upon and really get down to the nitty-gritties (ex: gameplay ramifications).

Old 05-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #3
neb_thims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euquila View Post
In order to move away from having lots of suggestions--most of low quality--to having a smaller pool of suggestions of high quality, there has to be a mechanism that quickly and effectively moves low quality threads to an "unsuccessful" bin. Here, the suggestions can still be viewed and edited upon, and the thread starter may even request for a review--which would move the thread back to suggestions forum.

Such a mechanism would undoubtedly involve mods. Perhaps if X-number of mods disapprove then the suggestions is immediately moved to the "unsuccessful" bin? This would help keep things tidy in the suggestions forum so that visitors have a more enjoyable experience.

I do agree that too many suggestions at one time makes the whole system ineffective. It's better the have a few that everyone can focus/debate upon and really get down to the nitty-gritties (ex: gameplay ramifications).
vBulletin has a "Moderation" queue - if you set the main suggestion forums to force all new threads to be approved by mods first, and had a separate "suggestions in progress" forum where people can get feedback, the mods could use the moderation queue to weed out ones that don't meet a certain standard - they could use a rubric, or a straight +/- vote.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
Otter

I don't think that we should "preapprove" threads, I think people would interpret that as a sort of nazi-style moderation. We'd hear a ton of "omg the mods wouldn't even let me present my idea wtf?" However, I think that liberal use of the lock function would go a long ways. If it quickly becomes clear that there are lot of reasons why an idea is infeasible, it should be locked and laid to rest.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:38 AM   #5
Jenova-

Also, with that method we are assuming that moderators have the definitive truth and knowledge when it comes to judge the quality of a suggestion, which isn't always true (in fact, it's hardly ever true). I don't think we should put excessive powers in the hands of the moderators when it comes to deciding the outcome of a suggestion, as that generates problems of objetivity. Also, we have to consider that probably not all moderators will have a good insight of how a good suggestion should be (I've had a lot of colleagues in the suggs forum of D-A that had a lot of common sense and were very smart, but that couldn't really tell when a suggestion was "those special ones" that really deserve to be highlighted).

I say we should let the community work freely, with us only guiding them (and obviously participating).

Old 05-30-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
CvP
Forum Manager

Steam: cvp_bg

how about requesting peoples from top teams around the world to take suggestion moderation position?

ice can invite may be 30 to 50 people. say, 20 accepts.
then we create a group of those 20 ppl.

they will initially review the suggestions, and cast vote.
say 65% needs to give yes for a suggestion to initially pass.

then it can be placed in "potential suggestions" and so on.

Dota 2 Saber Mod
Play as Saber in Dota 2. No VAC issues. Just install and enjoy!

Old 05-30-2009, 05:00 AM   #7
Otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvP View Post
how about requesting peoples from top teams around the world to take suggestion moderation position?
Definitely not. There are very few high-skill players who are also good at analyzing the game itself. Ice talks to most of them directly and a few are in beta, so there is no need to seek out more of them. Choosing moderators for suggestions should be an extremely careful selection process, almost entirely based on ability to understand proper game design. Playskill is pretty much irrelevant, the game needs to accomodate players of all skill levels, so some diversity in this regard is important.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
disrup3

I think for a successful suggestions forum the beta team somehow has to be involved. Whatever system we come up with will most likely not be very successful if this community and the beta team are working independant from each other.

And just telling the beta testers to "come here and read the suggestions" is not a solution or an involvement

Old 05-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
mDREAMm

The only thing which seems the most proper one to me atm is to take the concept from both ideas-some people disapprove of having moderators to decide whether their suggestion should pass on and be reviewed by all members.On the other hand,letting everyone to post their suggestions is a very risky move since the whole meaning of the section will be lost due to flooding with "unsuccessful" suggs.Thus,why don't we do the following thing:

-All members will be allowed to post their suggestions.
-To avoid having the section overflooded,the will be a "bin" as Euquila said,but I insist that we don't name it "unsuccessful".Mods of the section must be of greater number compared to others such as Mech,Random Chat,etc to ensure that there will be at least one to do the job.

The result is that everyone will post their suggestions but if poor,they will be removed in a short period of time by mods to a "Secondary suggestion place",where people will still be able to review them to avoid complains.Thus we'll have our few nice suggs to discuss of, and a place where the other ones can be observed as well.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
Eleventh

My advice would be to reward good responses/feedback. This can be done through a reputation system or some other means. If the goal is a system focused on debate and discussion, such reinforcement is truly essential. Otherwise, debate degenerates into conflict and discussion into thoughtlessness.

Also, if the number of people who are allowed to vote on/provide feedback on suggestions is ever limited (to moderators or some group of voters/responders), make sure the criteria for entry into such a group captures what makes someone a good voter/responder. Otherwise, you run into problems of objectivity and elitism (as mentioned by Jenova- and Otter).

A quantified response reputation (as mentioned above) is one such criteria option. The problem with this would be the work of maintaining a reputation system and preventing its abuse. However, I believe these issues to be addressable.

An alternate/additional option would be to have people apply to the voter/responder position, citing thoughtful posts they made in some open 'in progress' forum. Such an application process might also capture what Otter says is most important: the "ability to understand proper game design". However, it also creates the extra work of evaluating applications and possibly leads to problems of objectivity/elitism.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
Euquila

So at one end we face problems of objectivity/elitism and the other we face poor maintainability/effectiveness. After reading all your posts, I'm leaning towards the later: a more liberal framework = more community participation which is (imo) the most important thing.

Also, yes, naming the bin "unsuccessful" would be fail in the name of promoting participation. I take it back!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
Otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euquila View Post
So at one end we face problems of objectivity/elitism and the other we face poor maintainability/effectiveness. After reading all your posts, I'm leaning towards the later: a more liberal framework = more community participation which is (imo) the most important thing.
Lots of community participation is cute, but certainly not the most important thing. The priority has to be making sure the discussion is useful, not that it comes in large quantities. If it's not going to be useful, we might as well delete the section right now. With that said, yes, the framework should be somewhat open with lots of room for discussion in any direction. However, don't expect it to be productive without highly involved moderators.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
Malice

I think once there is a set method for writing up the suggestion which forces members to think before they post, it would eliminate some suggestions that are just though of on the spot with no clear deep thought about the matter. For example If to create a suggestion thread the user MUST follow the proper format

EXAMPLE:
Quote:
Type of suggestion: (item balance, gameflow, hero remake etc..)
Target player base: (more for pub players, more for competitive players, all)
Pros: (benefits, short and long term)
Cons: (ramifications short and long term)
Feasability: (it can work great because
etc..

Thats not the format i'm proposing, just an example of the need for one. This will force users to think more about what they type, filtering out extrememly low-level quality posts.

The next step is to have a chosen team of moderators go through and comment on the suggestions so to eliminate more low-level posts.
But what i think will be great is that if Icefrog or an admin can give each thread a comment on whether or not it is feasible. This way the admins don't have to go through every single suggestions thread. But it will eliminate the argument of opinion and objectivity between moderators and users.

Lets say for argument sake, three moderators comment on a suggestion, one thinks it's feasable, one thinks it's awesome and one thinks it's rubbish. To completely eradicate opinionated objections, an admin should give his expert explanation as to why or why not it just isn't feasable. In the end, the sole decission really is Icefrogs and i know we're going to run into a lot of instances where suggestions will be on both sides of praise and disregard.

Imo, the admins have to play a big role in managing this section

And die in sight of heaven..

Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
jmesch04

Some things that I would like to see, and even more so think would help the community are as follows.
1. I think that we need to be more open and close less topics. Having strict rules like [teir 4] and what not are only going to hold us back. Sometimes an item with an interesting mechanic or an interesting aura is held back because people make the item or ability to specific to start with.

2. We need to avoid to many niche sections...
2a. I would suggest (Modifications to Current Game) (New content) (Gameplay) (Heroes) I would only keep heroes because that's something that people can do on the whole much better than part of an adding into new content section.

3. We should avoid a poll type system... That is soooooo bad for this community and destroyed suggestions at other communities

4. Within each section topics that become quickly heated should be moved into a general section called or something like (shows promise or interest section) So if the community is really liking the idea or a mechanism people can start throwing ideas around in there.

5. Rules for each sections should be different, in the main 4 they should be more loose but with enough structure that people have to follow and not let in crap.
5a. they should make sure to cover these things in the OP, what is it, how is it different, target audience (heroes/gameplay), target goal or result.
[this way people can decide if the suggestion is not only interesting and something we want but if it is in fact doing what the OP wants it to do. Often times people make and item they think is great for a certain class but it's really better for another group.]
I think something like this or loosly based on this would look great. Moderation needs to be done well though but not closing everything right away, but letting the community chose what to close. We need to also be warn heavy for things like "+1" in these sections.

Coming Soon...

Old 06-04-2009, 02:11 AM   #15
china_white

I agree with most of what jmesch has said. In addition to the 4th point, we have to make sure we don't turn it into something like a "potentials" system, because I think that the way that works is just crap. We also want to encourage actual feedback, so is it possible to filter out short spam replies?

Old 06-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #16
Cigaro

Awesome 

Throwing in my idea for an ascension system.

We need to differ between our sections.
Cosmetics can be handled by the public alone: Whether something looks good needn't to be decided by an expert. Give Ice half a dozen ideas per new version to pick from, so there's no pressure.

───

Hero/Item/Remake/Gameflow Suggestions:
Make a new ascension system, with 3 different stages. New threads start in the 'basic'/stage I section.
Threads will have polls - to vote between 1 (don't like it) and 5 (I fully agree), but they're not binding in any way, and we could even make vote options more liberal. It's become obvious that forumers don't dare to vote T-Down - because it reads 0% agreement. Voting rather in favor will please them, and leave us the option to differ between excellent and good threads.

Potential voters (see below for explanation) can push threads to the popular stage (-> II).
It's upon the individual PV's decision whether something is suitable or not. Threads for the popular stage haven't got to be absolutely brilliant, yet they should be thought-out, or at least be backed up by large public interest.
If a thread has received many 3-4 votes, that's a reason to leave it where it is. Other reasons can be: already suggested, uncodeable, ...
A short comment should be given as well.
There's gonna be a sticky where people can nominate their threads, even multiple times.
Said stage II is still open to public, people can comment freely and cast more votes to show their support. Most important: The reduced number of threads in this "potential section" will get them a lot more attention. I expect no thread there to have less than 1 page of replies at long term.

Now comes Stage III. It's kind of a final niveau suggestions want to reach. If a potential voters considers a popular thread for implementation, he posts about it in Potential Voters Discussion. Given that 3, 4 others strongly agree (templates would be recommended, but they aren't a must), the suggestion is moved to potential suggestions. Only ~1% of all suggestions (10% of popular suggs) should reach that level (from my calculations, that's about 2 threads per week). As of then, only potential voters can post in those threads, and by looking up the last few posts, it'll be easy to find out what their hopes/concerns/verdicts are.

Note: We don't create copies of those topics. One suggestion, one thread.

Potential voters are:
-Moderators
-People we recruit amongst the beta team and outstanding forum members
Hard to estimate total number of staff required, but since they don't get tags anyway, it wouldn't be all too problematic.

Advantages
-we actually sieve (aimed-at-1%-standard)
-the public can only give recommendations with their votes
-no more pointless 50/50 cosm. votes

Disadvantages
-it's entirely arbitrary (TDA, anyone?)
-struggles amongst the potential voters (unless we behave like non-internet-people)

Here's what the structure would look like:

(forum rules)
(announcements)
-Core Suggestions ("post your ideas here!")
--Stage II (popular ideas)
---Stage III (potential ideas)
--Hero Suggestions
---Ability Suggestions (now subforum of hero suggs)
--Item Suggestions
--Remake Suggestions
--Gameflow Suggestions
--Cosmetic Suggestions
-Discussion (same function as before)
-Any contests we might have in the future
-Guides & Lists (placing them under discussions was not the smartest thing ever I suppose)
-Potential Voters Discussion (hidden)
-Staff Conference (hidden)

(Colors have been added for better overview only)

───

Users post their ideas in Core Suggestions (better name to be found). From there, moderators move them to the according categories. This is by far more user-friendly than letting them search for the right section (especially newbies), and in case we still have multi-mods, more than possible by logistic means. Just an idea though.

───

Possible addition:
Abilities are free to use by default, unless user has placed a red warning at the top of his thread.
Not sure if ability suggestions should be given the possibility to become potential? It seems somewhat pointless - rather encourage hero suggestors to use the ideas.

───

I left balance suggestions aside, as they're not relevant here (and pointless anyway).

───

I am strongly opposed to a "trash can" for unsuccessful threads, or closing them. Even an archive would be bad!

Old 06-11-2009, 04:58 AM   #17
PS2MAN
Banned

Two ways to go about this.

First is the way described above, however there could be a better way to get things across. Premise is like when Puck was made, and we can still have the first system along side it.

IE Post in suggestion forums that you want some ideas on a Remake of XYZ or you want to add Hero mode XYZ. Then create a forum for those ideas alone while you work on the version, putting the good ones in their own section. It would allow the community to focus on suggestions that "Need" implanting rather than "want" implanting, which is better for both sides. However you'd need some pretty good staff to arrange and maintain such a method of suggestion.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:11 AM   #18
Diceman

I like Cigaro's idea. I can see it working.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:11 AM   #19
Jeity

A suggestion forum tends to be extremely diverse, and thus moderators are naturally a must. The thing I realized about the moderators on the old forums was that while there were indeed some quality figures, there were also too many who didn't have a thorough enough understanding of the game, or who played moderator partly for their own means. Moderators need to do just that, moderate. Moderators should become less involved in the actual judging, therefore having more time to oversee the judging process. It will however, be necessary to participate in the beginning as the forum is just starting out.

In terms of organization, the previous forum wasn't too poorly designed, although the subforums do need to be changed up a bit. Cigaro's idea isn't too far off from what I'm thinking; mainly it's just necessary to make sure good ideas don't fade into oblivion just because they don't make it to the highest tier of "potential".

By this, I'm suggesting that for each suggestion category, there are 3 sub-forums, possibly a 4th archive sub-forum for suggestions that don't pass the first sub-forum.

1. The first sub-forum is the biggest one, used to control the huge influx of topics, and applying the classic Thumbs Up Thumbs Down system to gain a vague idea about the quality of the suggestion. It's quick, easy, and most importantly unavoidable. It's important to make sure the vote ratio is not too easy to obtain, so that the next subforum is not flooded.

2. After having received enough positive votes, the suggestion will move on to this next sub-forum. On this forum, there will once again be a voting process, but this time voters MUST post a relevant comment for the vote to count. It is at this stage where it is imperative that the moderators are able to sit back and objectively determine which posts qualify as votes. The job of moderators will primarily be in this forum.

3. The last sub-forum holds the highest quality suggestions. To have your suggestion reach this level, designated judges have to follow a specific judging rubric. However that rubric is designed, suggestions that pass will enter this forum while those that fail will be closed and stay in the previous one.

The system is aimed at better separating those in power from their suggestions, and making sure good ideas are not forgotten but GREAT ideas are still recognized. The previous forums also had a problem with suggestions reaching the necessary votes and ratio, getting on the waitlist, and then getting a bunch of negative votes while it's on hold. With this setup, suggestions that are publicly recognized can be immediately bumped up to the next phase of judging without having to constantly battle it out.

For example the Hero Suggestion forum would look like this.

Hero Suggestions
===> Hero Suggestions - Public
===> Hero Suggestions - Potential
===> Hero Suggestions - Priority

The 3-tier division makes the transition smoother, and the process more thorough. This is of course the basic outline. Things like the actual rubrics, designated judges, and whatnot would still need alot of work.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:21 AM   #20
Deathlust_

I think that something regarding moderators would be beneficial, but instead of having a negative approach to it (rating it negatively), they should be rated positively instead. (Sort of like Moderator's Choice on DA.com).

The approvals shouldn't be handed out lightly, but if a trusted group of individuals are able to help point out the more quality suggestions (in their view), it won't work as a perfect system, but it will help sort out things with a high accuracy rate.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #21
amped^^

I'd like an ascension system similar to what Cigaro suggested. Something like

Core
Stage II(Popular)
Stage III(Potential)
Stage IV(Under Review by Icefrog / Testers)
Stage V(In development / To be implemented)

I think something systematic and decisive would be ideal. The suggestion forums on the old website were set up kind of poorly. Even if you cleared every phase and were approved at the potentials stage it really didn't matter. I think community members would like to know where exactly the suggestion stands.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #22
uo111

Thumbs up

Go Cigaro Go

I honestly can't imagine a better suggestion process. Especially the cosmetic idea, it was just ridiculous on DA.com.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #23
Elune

Guide Writing Award 

I think it coult have some sub-forums like "new heros" "new items" "heros remake" "items remake"

Old 06-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #24
boshen

I think Cigaro's idea is well worth trying, however a couple of things I'd like to add:

- Mods should enforce quality posts that contribute to discussion. Hopefully this will encourage posters in this sub-forum more articulate and fruitful compared to the other forums.

- Having a diverse range of mods will both improve the quality of suggestions that get approved and eliminate elitism. The number one selection criteria should be understanding of the game design rather than skill in DotA, having mods of all skill levels will allow ideas to be better evaluated by all demographics

- Some sort of disclaimer that allows ideas to be borrowed and reused. Often I see some parts of suggestions work better with other suggestions. Hopefully, after implementing this we'll have a free library of sorts where future suggesters or Icefrog will be able to refer to when they need ideas.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #25
naiad

i'm afraid that if i suggest something, icefrog or other staff related dun even read my suggestions because there r so many suggestions here in the suggestion forum. that would kill my or likely most people's enthusiasm to post the ideas.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #26
uo111

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshen View Post
I think Cigaro's idea is well worth trying, however a couple of things I'd like to add:

- Mods should enforce quality posts that contribute to discussion. Hopefully this will encourage posters in this sub-forum more articulate and fruitful compared to the other forums.
This is not a good idea imo.

What constitutes a "quality" post is very much open for interpretation. Some mods will differ in this criteria from other mods, and since it is mostly opinion based, there really is no reason why mods should get that power over even normal members.

That being said, obvious spam/flaming/trolling and one-liners should be dealt with accordingly, as everyone can agree, "It sucks, go kill yourself," or "t-up/t-down" does nothing for the suggestion, and really just waste space/discourages members.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #27
Cp6uja

Guide Writing Award 

First, I agree with Cigaro. I mean, binary polls are not enough. I've received so many T-Downs on reducing mapsize for 30KB just because people don't get the high-tech compressing method. Thumbs up for 1 -> 5 polls!

Second, I like those phase stuff, I mean, potentials were nothing at DA. Well, not nothing, but they were treated as same as basic.

Third: Caps lock on: WE NEED MORE CONTESTS! Especially Hero and Item. But with one catch: IceFrog MUST implement it (as same as Puck), just to make Us, people who suggest, happy and motivated to keep on with ideas and voting. Whats the purpose of Item contest, when we have 1st 2nd and 3rd place, and no item goes in? That creates bad mood at suggestion forum, and people start to bandwagon, example from poster above:
Quote:
i'm afraid that if i suggest something, icefrog or other staff related dun even read my suggestions because there r so many suggestions here in the suggestion forum. that would kill my or likely most people's enthusiasm to post the ideas.
You see? He is already afraid. People need any kind of motivation. Better implement that hero/item , even if he is kind of overpowered, but remake it, people won't mind, just put it in for the good of community!

Fourth: Cigaro, can you somehow make Poll UNavailable untill you post comment? There are so many bad votes without any kind of post! Random T-Downers are cancer for suggestions.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #28
JJE92
Forum Staff

Suggestion Award 

Hmm hi everyone, my suggestion would be something like this.

In the old Dota-allstars forums it often happened that people posted incomplete or really bad suggestions at Model section, I think this shoulf be a bit changed so that this wont happen anymore.

1. stage: Progression - Here you have to post your suggestion at the beginning. This is simply to sort out incomplete and worse suggestions, that are sometimes simply posted in forum sections where they dont belong at all
In order to go on to the next stage, you must atleast have lets say 10 positive votes. 10 users must approve your suggestion as being complete and good.

2. stage: All User allowed to Vote - Here the topic will be moved and everyone can vote if he likes your suggestion or not.
In order to get potentialed, you need to have 90% TUps with 30 votes, 85% TUps with 50 or more votes, i think thats how it was as well in old forums.

3. stage: Potential - Here the forum crew and potential users (users with a potential suggestion) can vote if they like the suggestions or not.
If a majority of 90 / 95% or higher approves the suggestions, then itll be moved to the next stage.

4. stage: IceFrog / his other staff members - Now the chief of Dota himself can decide whether he wants to implement the suggestion or not.

This would be my favourite system, hope you like it.

As to the votes, id say that you should have to post some reasons why you voted this way. Otherwise it could happen that the quality of the suggestion will have a lower standard, because you cant improve your suggestions if you dont know why some few people voted TD. Perhaps it could be somehow made at hero suggestions specifically, that if you vote, you have to fill out a voting template or sth like this.
Therefore flaming someone for his vote should result very fast into a suspending of posting rights, because this really is manipulation, which makes fair criticism more difficult for some people and reduces quality of the suggestions.
The only time you should be allowed to write one-liners is imo, when you say "already everything stated by other members".

Just my idea, i know this is very difficult to solve, because some will still prefer to vote anonymous, i dont know how to solve this problem.

Concerning the rest, I agree in most points with Cigaro and Cp6uja_

Last edited by JJE92; 06-11-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #29
Nameless

I like Cigaro's idea. But adding another stage where in it's Potential Suggestions that would surely not be implemented could be ok. So we can't get our hopes up.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #30
boshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by uo111 View Post
obvious spam/flaming/trolling and one-liners should be dealt with accordingly, as everyone can agree, "It sucks, go kill yourself," or "t-up/t-down" does nothing for the suggestion, and really just waste space/discourages members.
That pretty much sums up what I think should be discouraged. When I say quality, I certainly don't refer to input that comes from people who have been playing dota for years. What constitutes a quality response imo, is genuine opinion backed up by good evidence that prompts further discussion.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #31
Naldoparin

I also like the stage system, but I think it could be automated to save the mods some time.

How about implementing some kind of "experience" system for suggestions?

There are a number of levels, starting with something like "idea".
Everybody can vote at this stage, options are "Complete suggestion" (+1 exp) and "Still needs some work" (-1 exp).

Once your suggestion gets 10 exp, it gains a level and is now a "suggestion" and automatically moved to the according subforum.
Here everybody can rate the suggestion with -1 to +1 by a vote button in the thread, and -5 to +5 on the "post reply" page to encourage replies to the suggestions.

Next level (maybe 50 exp) would be something like "potential suggestion", similar to "suggestion", but only available for a limited number of potential voters.

The final level (exp depending on the number of possible potential voters) would be "ready to implement", from there on it's up to Icefrog.

Everybody has one vote per suggestion and level.

Editing is possible on every level, but it puts the suggestion back to the basic amount of its level (e.g. 50 exp for potential suggestions) and gives everybody the chance to vote again. (maybe another "typo edit" button may be added here, to edit things that don't change the suggestion itself)

This could be made more complex, like potential voters give double exp, everybody can only spend a certain number of vote points per day etc, suggestions with a certain negative exp get automatically closed, different exp counters for originality, usefulness, codability, etc...

This would require some coding, but it would make the mods' lives much easier.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #32
Pascal3000

SHIT WHAT HAVE I DONE t.t I posted a proper suggestion and convinced a mod i was allowed to (rightfully so) and right away this forum is flooded with 2nd class Hero ideas and dumb suggestions

Sorry Icefrog =/

Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #33
mus.ika

Although not entirely true, the potentiality of a suggestion is not determined by the community. You might not agree with me but, yes, that is the fact. The decisions are not made by us, although we can infuence the decisions of those on top, like Icefrog himself. Even a very popular suggestion could not not make it to implementation.

The feasibility and actuality of a suggestion is solely in the hands of "them" as the developers. So for me any system would do, BUT I would like to suggest this:

Once the potential of a suggestion of being implemented is seen, Icefrog himself or "them" should endorse such suggestion to the community and then take it all from there. This would encourage people to build quality suggestions and not just post not-well-thought of suggestions. Although it does not mean that the picked suggestion is a sure implement.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by mus.ika; 06-11-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #34
uo111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal3000 View Post
SHIT WHAT HAVE I DONE t.t I posted a proper suggestion and convinced a mod i was allowed to (rightfully so) and right away this forum is flooded with 2nd class Hero ideas and dumb suggestions

Sorry Icefrog =/
IT WAS YOU!!!!!

Seriously though, it filled up with suggestions fast.

I think the suggestions forum should be locked for new threads until a system is developed. People don't rightly know what to do with them.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #35
boshen

One thing we can consider is that once a suggestion reaches a sufficiently high popularity/ranking a sub-forum can be created for it so every aspect of it can be scrutinised and discussed upon.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #36
Milli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
<Very long post.>
!support.
I was thinking of something similar, so your suggestion is awesome

€: If a vote-principle should come I think editable votes would be a good idea. That's because people often get the suggestion wrong and can't change their vote. Also suggestions are often changed in progress, so it would also be nice to have people be able to change their votes.
- Gameflow suggestion for Flying Courier
- Icon suggestion for Elder Dragon Form

Last edited by Milli; 06-11-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #37
TraVeIIeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by uo111 View Post
Seriously though, it filled up with suggestions fast.

I think the suggestions forum should be locked for new threads until a system is developed. People don't rightly know what to do with them.
I have to agree, it's quite cluttered already and people neither know how to format their suggestions nor how to vote on others. Some suggestions have binary polls others use the 5 point system which cigaro suggested - which is quite a good idea by the way - and others have no polls at all. Once the subforums are installed and a new system is found the mods will have to move all topics and edit the polls accordingly - just a heap of unnecessary work.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #38
Jenovaside

Default Limit posting rights

People should be restricted to threads started in suggestions, perhaps X (100-200)post minimum to start a suggestion and one per week maximum, which could possibly be waved with higher post count or by mods after said user has shown that his suggestions are well thought out.

This might lead to +1ing but would cut down the seguestions.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #39
Pascal3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenovaside View Post
People should be restricted to threads started in suggestions, perhaps X (100-200)post minimum to start a suggestion and one per week maximum, which could possibly be waved with higher post count or by mods after said user has shown that his suggestions are well thought out.

This might lead to +1ing but would cut down the seguestions.
Post Count limitations to access forum functions are NEVER good, especially with a still fairly weak mod team and on a fairly new site. It encourages spam and lowers post quality (is that even possible right now? )

Anyways, a pre-check system would be good, which means

User posts topic --> Mod team checks the suggestion for decent quality and viability --> Community gets to see and comment on the thread --> Icefrog gets to decide on the ideas and can take the reaction of the community into account.

And i wouldnt want you to encourge Hero / Item ideas too much, as it will flood the forum and make it unusable for actual gameplay / balance / cosmetic suggestions. If you want those to exist, then make an additional "idea forum" or something

Old 06-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #40
FrozenStorm

A lot of good ideas here, agree with much of what was said, especially 5 tier system recommended by amped^^.

One thing I think would be fantastic that would help both potential idea thinkers and mods is a couple of resources for suggestions. For example:

Templates for Hero/Item/Cosmetic/Gameplay Modes/Map Changes:
- Something like a txt file with the forum coding for text size/color/layouts for content, that just requires you to add images and content and provides a standard of viewing for voters and mods. This would still require suggestors to do a significant amount of work adding images that would discourage the random, thoughtless "on a whim" suggestion, but would just generally make things prettier.

A guide to codability:
Probably would be difficult to write extensively, but just some general guidelines to start would help people with limiting their thoughts to what can be done would also eliminate clutter of suggestions that aren't feasible.

Strict Rules:
Like the rules that are required reading before posting first on these forums, pop something up before starting a new topic or commenting on things past the bottom tier of forums that clearly states "Think things through, use this template, read codability guide" and "Post quality feedback, explain feelings, vote on concept offer suggestions on numbers" etc. that requires a checkbox and maybe a timer to proceed, to discourage people from spamming useless stuff.

Also love the ideas to hold periodic contests that *actually* matter, run by IceFrog, offering guaranteed implementation to winners in order to encourage serious development of great ideas. We're a competitive bunch, DotA players, we'll come up with something of high enough quality to be ready to be playable with guarantee of implementation on the line.

Now Playing: MW2 and League of Legends
Don't know about LoL? It's a great successor to DotA! Signup Here! My username is FrozenStorm there ^^
Check out my

Slardar Guide in Progress
Archive of the Outpicked Game
Bio / Introduction Page (with pictures ^^)

Closed Thread
  Defense of the Ancients Suggestions