Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Kiry0

Default Define Carry, Ganker, and Tank

I have seen threads on worst and best carries and I am confused about who is categorized where. I would have assumed that a carry was a massive dps agil hero, a ganker is an invis/fast moving hero/anyone with a blink stick, and a tank was a massive HP str hero. But with reading threads about how AA can carry and how BH is a ganker not a carry I am wondering what defines these categories.

I am a nub to these forums I know so take it easy, I hate breaking the 50 post unsaid rule but I really am trying to hone my skills from the average pubber to maybe getting into comp games.

PS Not looking for a list of which heros go where just a reasonable definition so that I can figure it out myself.

ktxbi
Old 02-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Otaia

Default Re: Define Carry, Ganker, and Tank
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

A carry is generally defined as any hero that has high lategame (or mid-late these days) potential with the right items. This definition isn't limited to agi heroes, and not all agi heroes are carries. Carry potential usually comes from skills that add a lot of survivability, AoE damage, or disables.

Gondar is not a carry because he has nothing that really makes him shine lategame other than a 17+3.0 agi growth. He's fragile, he has no skills that boost his survivability or damage other than a crit/maim on a 6 second cooldown and a really crappy nuke, and he doesn't really have the ability to farm lategame items unless his team already has the upper hand in kills. In a big lategame teamfight, Gondar is unlikely to be the one dominating and getting all the kills (in a somewhat organized game, at least).

Faceless Void, on the other hand, is a carry. Although he's just about as fragile (not counting skills) and his damage is about the same, his skills are much more powerful lategame. He has a blink/slow, 25% evasion, 25% bash, and a huge AoE disable that gives him enough time to take out multiple units once he's farmed enough.

There are quite a few non-agi carries as well. Even though Necrolyte doesn't do much physical damage, he has an incredibly powerful AoE nuke/heal on a 5 sec cd, but he can't really spam it until he has items for mana, and enough tanking ability to use it more than twice in a teamfight.

The roles aren't set in stone; there's a lot of overlap and you don't have to assume every hero is only good at doing one thing. Any hero can also be a semi-carry if they scale well into lategame. For example, Windrunner has a great skillset that can be useful throughout the game and has carry potential, but is generally outclassed by true carries (once they have their items).
Old 02-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
MalTheAwesome

Here's how I define them. Gankers are people who have the nukes or disables to suddenly pop out and kill someone. For instance, although pudge has high hp and a magic damage reducing passive, he's not tank. He can't stand physical damage enough, and why build him to recieve damage when he can keep carries from farming enough to deal it? Pudge can take a hit very well, but once he gets enough kills, so anyone who plays him knows he's a ganker/support.

I'm gonna name a role you forgot about, support. Supporters are people who keep the carry healthy and alive and don't require many items. They usually have some sort of disable that allows the heavy damage dealing carry to destroy the enemy hero for exp and gold. For instance, vs. Although some play vs as a carry, all of her dps skills and her nuke all benefit allies more than her. Vs even has swap, which has the potential to kill her in order to kill an enemy of greater importance.

Tanks are heroes who stay in the enemy's face and give them trouble, forcing them to focus the tank. Tide is a good example, as, with his kraken shell, he can sustain a lot of physical damage(I tower dive with him and suffer only a smidgen of health loss, let's put it that way) and his disables make him feared. His ultimate is just plain annoying.

Carries are a wide category, but usually divide into 3 groups. Semi carries are gankers who have some dps ability or something that benefits from items and allows them to really be dangerous late game. Mirana and Lanaya come to mind, as they gank and have enough dps to carry late game. However, they don't carry anywhere near as well as true carries.

Mid game carries are carries who also gank, but they carry better than semi carries and need more farm to be useful. Sf and storm fit into this category, as they need a few cores, but are very nice gankers. Meepo fits into this category as well. Basically, these are hard carries who need skill to play well.

Late game carries are, imo, usually boring. They are pure right clickers who farm all day then do boring team fights. Usually they have a means of mobility or get blink dagger, and from there they have a combo somewhere along the lines of, "mobility, self buff, right click, trololwinlol". Examples of this are Troll Warlord and Sven. Troll being a farm all day then pwn carry, Sven being a farm and try to gank when needed, go through a few team fights, and pwn late game carry. Yes, I'm biased.

Also, there are hybrids. For instance, you can play Panda as a ganker, initiator, tank, and a carry. This is because all of his skills are versatile like that, he does need some farm though, so he can't be a pure support. His ult allows him an escape mek and ganking tool that allows him to carry very well, tank damage then survive, and ganker extremely nicely.

Hope this wall of text helps. ^_^
Old 02-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
seberdays

sven is not a ganker?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
fireblaze762

Hard Carries are generally heroes who can utilise farm extremely effectively, with each item increasing their potential by a lot. They are very powerful mid-lategame. They will spend the whole time farming, and generally more gold intensive than level intensive.Examples include Void, Mort, Spec, Dusa, Drow

Semi carries are generally heroes who can utilise both farm and levels effectively, who generally peak at around a certain level and with a certain item (e.g bkb). Each additional item makes them stronger, but does not increase their potential as much as a hard carry. They will often gank a fair bit midgame, but still scale effectively into lategame. Examples include SF, Storm

Ganker carry: These are generally heroes who are given farm at the very beggining of the game so they can be set to rape face midgame. They often do not have particularly strong lategame, but if they can a minor amount of gold/levels they are extremely powerful midgame and are reasonably powerful lategame. They are generally level intensive, often aiming for a fast level 6 OR they are extremely powerful trilaners.
Examples include Bat, visage, puck, lion
Old 02-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
Varuka

Most heroes can be played in more than one role. On the forums people generally refer to heroes by their most common role. It's totally possible to play a support Mortred, by leveling dagger early, putting 1 point in blink, and then maxing blur and stats.. for items grab Janggo, RoB, mek, etc.

As such, when referring to specific games, hero roles are different from the generic ones. The last game I played had a carry Venge, for example (usually venge is played as a roaming ganker / support... this one went 15/3, IIRC), and a support Slithice.

This is also part of the reason why people disagree so much with the terminology. In different regions / levels of play, heroes can be used vastly differently.. Storm Spirit (Raijin Thunderkeg), for example, is played as any of: carry, ganker, or support, depending on the skill of the player, the region, and the level of play.

I've carried pubs with AA / Chen, and I've ended up playing support SF.. that doesn't make AA as a hero a carry, or SF a support hero. That said, most heroes have a few roles they can fit in best, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieaw.th View Post
Varuka you are best freind of the tree world in warcraft galaxy
Old 02-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Raul222

So if you dont like to read wall of text
Support heroes are heroes like cm , venge , lich , heroes that can do their job without needing items, usually they have disables or skills that buff their team ( lich-armor, venge auras).
Tanks and carrys on the other hand are very tricky. There are some "natural tanks" like tide, axe and normal carrys like never,sniper ,but there are also tank-carrys like medusa , razor , necro, alche . Heroes that left alone are quit squishy but with the right items and with skills they are unkillable and can dish out huge dmg and as such they can carry the team.
Also good carrys have some skills that lets them farm easy, alche has spray , dusa has her snake , never razes , and so on. Heroes like void magina are rarely used just because they lack that, even tho they are beasts in late game.

Edit : damn it wall of text again
"If you're going to give everyone jump, you've got to give everyone things to jump over. And with all that jumping, people are going to get thirsty, so give everyone the ability to piss Gatorade. That'll make everyone too strong though, so they'll nerf it into Vitamin Water. This will cause everyone to feel like their ability to express anger is underpowered, so you've got to give them all guns.
Guns you say? Yes, guns. Anyone with arms, legs, fins, flippers, mechanical bits, or incorporeal form gets a gun. I know what you're thinkin, "But Bweezle, what about Morphling?" Fuck it; build it on a boat and let it float on top of his head. Why does everyone need guns--to shoot you and this idea."
Old 02-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
Kiido

I have said this many times: there is no such thing as a tank in the game of DotA.

The idea of a tank probably originated from online RPGs like WoW, where you get a beefy character (who's not good for very much else other than being the thickest guy around) to stand right up in the front of the battle, and then proceeding to soak up the NPCs' attacks (since they are programmed to aggro the first guy within range). Such a tank fulfills a very specific niche - he most often has inadequate damage, lack of good support skills, but his usefulness comes from the fact that he can take a bullet for his team, absorbing the NPC's attacks for them, while the softer damage-dealer characters take it down.

DotA, obviously, is not a player-vs-monsters game. You can make the beefiest, toughest haro around, but nobody is gonna aim him for two good reasons. One, he's the hardest hero in his team to kill. And two, he poses the least threat.

Just think about it this way. Would you want to aim the 3k HP Centaur, with a skill that hurts you when you attack him, and who also has 100 DPS?
or
Would you rather get at that frail little 948 HP Mortred, who deals 600 DPS?

It's a very logical choice: nobody is gonna aim a "tank" just because he has the biggest damage-taking capability. In fact, that would be totally counter-productive, devoting yourselves to the weakest member of the enemy that incidentally also takes the longest to bring down.

So it would seem that the team's "tank" would be the hero that not only poses a significant threat, but also isn't the toughest guy around. However, we still need to make one more distinction: and I'll introduce the concept of threat-over-time.

To give another example, we'll take Centaur again. The poster-boy of the "tank" role, who is ironically one of the worst tanks around, as I've already explained. Anyway, to get on point, I'm sure we can all agree that Centaur poses a threat on the battlefield, quite a decent one. His stomp deals nuke damage and a massively long stun in an AoE, while Double Edge is a fearsome single-target nuke.

These properties of Centaur pose a threat, no doubt. But they don't pose threat-over-time. This is a very crucial difference. While Centaur can blink in, do his stomp-D.E combo, he is virtually useless after that. You almost cannot stop him from doing his spells, not only because they are instantly cast, but also since a decent Centaur will have his blink. Coupled with his return and shit-ton of HP, Centaur is probably the least-priority target on the battlefield.

Nobody will bother to aim him, and he has therefore completely failed in his supposed role as a "tank".

And now, the opposition to such a hero: the DPSer. The DPS hero poses a threat, likewise, but with one big difference: this threat is a function of time. DPS is dealt over time, the implication of which is that if you eliminate the DPS hero early in the fight, you mitigate the threat that he/she poses, in juxtaposition to the caster hero, who'll most likely get off their nuke/disable whether or not you choose to send your attacks their way.

So whatever you might have heard pretty much goes out the window. "Centaur is a tank", "Axe is a tank", "buying a radiance makes you a tank", all these are good examples of fallacious reasoning.

The role of "tank" has never existed in the game of DotA. People are smart, they won't stubbornly focus the biggest, buffest guy on the enemy team (well, most of them that is). It all boils down to the concept of threat-over-time.

Any threat that is time-sensitive can be reduced, by reducing the time the hero has in which to deal it. People will concentrate their fire on the biggest source of threat-over-time, because it is the only logical choice, the one that promises them the greatest chance of winning.

tl;dr: Tanks don't exist. Refer to wall of text for further details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyampagn View Post
Meh Jesus is overrated...SK needs only 3 seconds to come back; 3 days and you call youself god? cmon
Old 02-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Kiido

Fuck double-post

Quote:
Meh Jesus is overrated...SK needs only 3 seconds to come back; 3 days and you call youself god? cmon
Old 02-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
Denki
Banned

^ Yeah bro we get it you said it many times. Many times, it was, that you already double-posted a wall of text.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
BenchBreaker

wall of text do not apply in pubs, where ppl will focus the first/biggest hero they see

hence tanks are a valid and often important role in pubs, hence the frequent enquirers about "who are the best tanks"

Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
C.cL-CaLL_Me

^tiny with lvl 3 ulti?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
Maya

@Kildo

First of all, I've never supported the term 'tank' in the RPG games in first place. Tank implies a huge indestructible machine that wrecks havoc.

That is not the case in RPG games. Tanks in RPG and "tanks" in DotA are quite different. Now that we are clear about this

Never forget the psychological factor in the game. When a huge flashy hero suddenly blinks next to you and casts an imba skill that stuns for ten minutes or halves your hit points, your first reaction would probably be to disable or nuke him immediately. The secondary role of initiators ("tanks") is to soak up the barrage of magic because they are pretty much useless afterwards anyway. Here's where the "tanking" thing comes up.

After the tank appears, naturally you would take some time, however minute, to evaluate the situation. The heroes you are talking about often come together with a huge, flashy model, with huge, flashy spells, that obscure the environment. Basically, they create a mess for their team to follow up. In the mess, searching around for a hero to target takes a bit longer than usual, and you need a lot of experience to overcome the instinct of "hitting on meat", i.e. the closest thing to you that poses a threat.

Now when you think about the element of surprise and the disadvantage of having no knowledge or expectation of the enemy team positioning, plus the weakened state of your own team immediately after the "tank has fired all the cannons", DotA's tanks justify their term much more, don't they?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #14
Kiido

^ You're right there, a strong psychological element does come into play.

The typical mentally-deficient pub thinks to himself "OMG that 100 DPS Centaur is burning me for 30 HP A SECOND with his radiance I MUST AIM HIM and tear myself to shreds from return even though there is a Drow dishing out 500 DPS!!!!!1".

Of course against more experienced foes, this is less likely to happen. With experience comes a better understanding of the heroes, and they will most likely have a subconscious gauge of each heroes impact on the battlefield, and won't simply aim the biggest guy who gets in their face.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
fireblaze762

Generally 'tanks' are Agi/Int heroes with reasonable hp, and great passives or highly spammable, damaging skills.
Strength heroes (bar alch ofc) are generally terrible tanks due to their slow farming abiliy, Lowish armour and lack of powerful passives while still maintaining threats.

Buying tank items is generally very easy, while increasing threat level is generally much harder. For example, think about an necrolyte with Mek, and then think about a cent with crystalis. Necro is a much superior tank.

'Tanks' are generally strongest when they have powerful aoe 'DoT' skills that slowly inflict i high rate of damage. Basically a hero who has high damage without actually needing to explictly attack, is generally the best 'tank'. Give them some Vg/hood and they will be not only a prime target, but also difficult to kill.

A prime example is necrolyte. He has lowish Hp/armour, but is a massive threat if not dealt with.
Every second he deals 1% damage to everyone opponent
Every 5 seconds he heals his team by 135 hp, or rouphly 27hp regen (if he has mana)
Every 5 seconds he deals 275 damage, or rouphly 55 DPS

If battle lasts long he will be able to get off a good Reapers scythe, which can deal a significant amount of damage.

With such skills, without even attacking, he needs to be killed quickly (unless he is oom), and buying tank items like vg/hood/mek makes him an ideal tank.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
alwaysgorandom
Banned

1. get big kill streak
2. noobs focus you to try and end it for profit
3. counter-profit.

that´s the only way to tank.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #17
Kiido

@ fireblaze762:

Picking out DoT skills as the defining factor of a tank is fallacious. DPS is simply another form of damage, dealt over time. Hell, even arc lightning is damage over time (2.25 second intervals, rather than the usual one second intervals).

There is conceptually no difference between a radiance burn, a heartstopper aura, and a Mortred's physical attacks.

They are all damage-dealing skills, they are all time-sensitive, and they all deal damage directly proportional to how long the hero is on the field, making a hero that possesses any of the above a prime target, regardless.

With that in mind, the only factor that separates one form of threat-over-time from another is the overall battlefield impact. Sure, the radiance burn affects everyone, catching their collective attention. But if the enemy were to look at it rationally (not always the case, though), what do you think is more dangerous to them?

A radiance, dealing a total of 150 damage every second, split over 5 heroes?

Or a Mortred that's dealing 1k crits, attacking thrice every second, and who has the potential to completely remove one of your teammates in slightly over a second, as opposed to a measly burn of 30 HP/sec from radi?

Granted, psychology plays a role. The radiance burn is visually blatant. The Tidehunter that blinks into your midst is an immediate threat, which brings on your emotional responses, calling for immediate action. But against calm, experienced enemies, this attention-whoring tank strategy loses it's effectiveness.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
fireblaze762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiido View Post
@ fireblaze762:

Picking out DoT skills as the defining factor of a tank is fallacious. DPS is simply another form of damage, dealt over time. Hell, even arc lightning is damage over time (2.25 second intervals, rather than the usual one second intervals).

There is conceptually no difference between a radiance burn, a heartstopper aura, and a Mortred's physical attacks.

They are all damage-dealing skills, they are all time-sensitive, and they all deal damage directly proportional to how long the hero is on the field, making a hero that possesses any of the above a prime target, regardless.

With that in mind, the only factor that separates one form of threat-over-time from another is the overall battlefield impact. Sure, the radiance burn affects everyone, catching their collective attention. But if the enemy were to look at it rationally (not always the case, though), what do you think is more dangerous to them?

A radiance, dealing a total of 150 damage every second, split over 5 heroes?

Or a Mortred that's dealing 1k crits, attacking thrice every second, and who has the potential to completely remove one of your teammates in slightly over a second, as opposed to a measly burn of 30 HP/sec from radi?

Granted, psychology plays a role. The radiance burn is visually blatant. The Tidehunter that blinks into your midst is an immediate threat, which brings on your emotional responses, calling for immediate action. But against calm, experienced enemies, this attention-whoring tank strategy loses it's effectiveness.
DoT does not explicitly refer to actual 'DoT' skills like Poison nova, but more than a hero can consistently deal damage, over a long period of time, preferably without even attacking and dealing it in an aoe.

Its basically saying that heroes like centaur, who's damage is limited to Stomp+double edge combo, is fairly weak tank as opponents wont attack it as it poses no threat over a long period of time.
On the other hand, a necrolyte or dusa may not have an immediate effect, but if not dealt with quickly you will sustain a lot of damage, and their team mates will be much harder to kill.

On a hero like mortred, you dont want to tank, and you really wont tank, although its likely you will get focus fired when you dont have Bkb active.
Mortred excels when the oppponents are attacking one of your other heroes, and she blinks in and quickly destroys a support hero using her blinkstrike. Mort works best when she is unnoticed, hence the idea of 'phantom assasin'. Playing her as an actual 'tank' (vang+blur gives alot of survival) works decently, although she becomes minimalish threat and will be relagated to more of a ganker using dagger. If you dont agree, watch the showmatch with ZSMJ playing tank PA, and see how useless he was lategame.

Many heroes are high threats, its just the problem of whether they can remain high threats while only buying tank items, or whether they have enough mana and low enough cooldown skills to warrant them surviving longer and finally whether they need to be in the middle of the fight, as that will result in them taking many aoe nukes.
On a hero like lich, theres minimal point in tanking him up, since he probably already FA'ed his team, and if he gets off chainfrost, his Job is done and his only use will be frost novaing every 6 seconds. While a hero like zeus, who continuosly nukes would be a prime target, doing significant damage over a long time, but he is limited to mana, and in general tanking him up isn't as good as just positioning yourself correctly.

Finally: If a hero tanks damage, its highly likely that they will also get stunned. Hence, they often wont be able to actually attack and thus since tanks dont get bkb, its generally better if you can deal damage without attacking, E.g Alch with radi+acid spray.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #19
Dejaime

This guide here: Improving Yourself - DotA Guides
has got good definitions and examples

[:
Old 02-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #20
Leadblast
Banned

I would define tank as a hero that has lots of EHP. A hero that has either a lot of HP, armor, HP regen or a really good combination of those factors. That's all there is to it, really. You can't say that tank is a hero who forces the opposition to focus him, because there's only 1 hero in Dota capable of that (Axe), but the others can still tank to a degree.

A carry is a hero which has the potential to kill the entire enemy team, or at least a considerable part of it, either by physical DPS, items, spells or combination of those. Though if I may say, "carry" is sort of a non-sensical term for the context. I would rather call them "destroyers" because that's their job - to destroy the enemy team.

Ganker is sort of like carry but with less killing potential. Generally gankers should have some sort of disable. You just can't kill without disables.

yes, my definitions are somewhat ill.
Last edited by Leadblast; 02-03-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #21
hajasmarci

the carry wins you the game
the ganker spends his time ganking heroes
the tank draws aggro (eg: cm with his ulti, alche with his red color, sf with his dps)
Old 02-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #22
Leadblast
Banned

^when I think of CM I imagine her as a support rather than a tank. If she draws attention she's usually dead in 3s.
Similarly, SF is more of a carry, he deals lots of damage but can't take a beating himself.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #23
gd1

Carry heroes have the ability (amount of support required defines the extent to which they can carry) to take on more than 1 hero of the enemy team and be the deciding factor in defeating them. For balance reasons, carry heroes are only able to do this much later in the game. Void can chrono and kill more than one, Obsidian Destroyer can ult to kill several heroes at once, and Mortred (imo) can crit with bfury to either severely damage or kill multiple heroes.

My Mortred Guide

Mortred Blur Remake-As a PA player I completely endorse this suggestion.
Shun Goku Satsu
Old 02-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #24
BiH-Kira

Tanks
A tank is a hero that wants and will focus the enemies fire on him self. The only hero that has a skill to make the enemies focus him, is Axe. But there are also some other heroes like Necrolyte, Krobelus, BB, Alchemist, ect. that deal insane AOE damage if they stay long enough alive. They are built as tanks (tank items) and they WANT to be focused.

Some people would say that a fed PA is a tank. She can take loads of damage and will be focused. But she's still not a tank. She will be focused, but she doesn't want that to happen. PA wants to blink in, kill someone, stay unnoticed. Just because a hero can tank and will be focused, it doesn't make him/her a tank. The hero must want to be focused.

A tank can also be a carry and/or a ganker at the same time. Necro, Krobelus, BB, Alchemist, ect.
Roles in DotA aren't strict. A hero can and will have more then just 1 role.

Carry

A carry is a hero that will lead his team to victory. It's the teams main force. It can be an early hero, a mid game hero, or a late game hero. Late game hero isn't the best definition of carry. Not every carry is a late game hero. If your Pugna and Brood are going to finish the game in the first 10 minutes, then they are the carries. If you PA is the hero that you rely on to finish the game, the she is the carry.

As said in the tank section, roles aren't strict. So many heroes will have more then just 1 role. Only exclusion are late late game carries. Those are heroes who need shitloads of items to be able to carry the game, but are actually useless without them. They can be played in other roles, but will be extremely weak during all stages of the game, even in late game because of the lack of farm.

If a pusher finishes the game in an early stage, then it's him who is the carry. He carried the game, he carried his team to victory.

Ganker
Gankers are heroes specialized in killing lone heroes or 2. Early and mid game gankers are usually item independent heroes with strong nukes and/or disables. Late game gankers are heroes with insane DPS to kill fast even fed heroes.

Ganker is actually the least defined role. "Ganking" means killing a lone hero or 2. It doesn't define how, when, with who. Every hero can gank, some better some less. Carries can also be considered gankers when searching for lone heroes.
Ganker is more of a sub-role then actually a role. A tank, carry, support, initiator, all of them can be gankers. It just depends when they can do that most efficient.

A PA or Void will do that after they get fed, which is late game. A CM,Lion, Lina, Veng, ES... will do that, solo or in pairs, during early and mid game since that is the time where they are the most efficient. Where spells (fixed numbers) hurts the most.

Roles in DotA aren't strict and most heroes have more then 1 role. There are also sub-roles. I think there are only few heroes that are defined by just 1 role.
1500 posts.

Part of the 'Suggestions Review thread'. If you have a request for a review of your remake suggestion, please send a private message.
Last edited by BiH-Kira; 02-04-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #25
ALL_CAPS_GUY

I think there are enough answers.
Stop acting good.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #26
DemonDays

some heroes can change role from early game to lategame, gondar is a ganker early-midgame and if he dominated he can carry lategame.(with the gold difference you made with track)
Old 02-04-2011, 03:21 AM   #27
ninjah42

a tank is someone who is jacked and commonly referred to football players
Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #28
Leadblast
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonDays View Post
some heroes can change role from early game to lategame, gondar is a ganker early-midgame and if he dominated he can carry lategame.(with the gold difference you made with track)
Yes, that can be. Like DK who spends most of his early game tanking and pushing then he becomes a tank-carry by late game with enough items.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #29
KoR.zERo.DVL

^DK is not a good tank
hes more of a DPS-AOE-Carry

<--

I AM PROUD TO BE PINOY. AND IF YOU HATE PINOY, t(-.-t)
Don't Judge us when your country ain't no better
Old 02-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #30
Kiido

^ You're only right because tanks don't exist.

Quote:
Old 02-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #31
KoR.zERo.DVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiido View Post
^ You're only right because tanks don't exist.
my post?

<--

Old 02-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #32
Clear

PD have definitions for those terms..i wonder if they got deleted..

When she's a jail bait, it's better to masturbate.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #33
LostFlip

TL;DR's
Carry = a lategame hero who usually gets the kills, he "carries" the team to victory
Tank = strenght hero who's job is supposed to "go in first so he gets damaged first"
Ganker = a hero that can "surprise" people when laning, example tuskarr snowballs and stuns enemy, storm spirit ball lightnings and electric vortex. gankers should have some sort of disable

Last edited by LostFlip; 02-04-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #34
Clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostFlip View Post
TL;DR's
Hard Carry = good agi hero that can kill most of enemy heroes in late game
Tank = strenght hero who's job is supposed to "go in first so he gets damaged first"
Ganker = a hero that can "surprise" people when laning, example tuskarr snowballs and stuns enemy, storm spirit ball lightnings and electric vortex. gankers should have some sort of disable
i saw tinker carry too.. :/

When she's a jail bait, it's better to masturbate.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #35
Leadblast
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoR.zERo.DVL View Post
^DK is not a good tank
Fail beyond repairs.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #36
KoR.zERo.DVL

^ Ok, I know hes fucking hard to kill, BUT MAKING HIM A TANK MEANS GIVING UP YOUR DPS!

U see, if your the tank in ur team, You'll be happy to eat all their shit nukes and disables.(YOU GOT BKB? MOST ULTI GOES THROUGH BKB.)

So playing him as a pure carry is alot better rather than your belief of him as a tank.

HoT is not even a good choice for him -.-

Id rather get radiance, or DR.

<--

Old 02-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #37
Harnstoff

Location: Höllhaus, Haselbach, Straubing, Bavaria, Germany, Europe :)

imo, it's all very fishy.
My opinions:

(1)Carry: Scales, either with items (spec-tier) or with levels (invoker-tier). Never really peaks, can always make excellent use of additional farm.
(2)Semi-Carry:
(2a) Either needs early levels and holds this momentum throughout the game: SF-tier
(2b) Or is good early and can scale with a bit of midgamefarm: Sven-tier
(3)Support: Doesn't scale that well, peaks very early.

That's one basic distinction. Another one is about what you're doing in the game
(1) Carry: Now that's bad, because the term becomes amigous. Here means rice-farmer.
(2) Ganker: Runs 'n' kills
(3) Babysitter: Helps (1) doing his job

About 'Carry wins the game': That's bullshit imo. The team wins the game, period.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #38
Leadblast
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoR.zERo.DVL View Post
^ Ok, I know hes fucking hard to kill, BUT MAKING HIM A TANK MEANS GIVING UP YOUR DPS!
So what? Tanks are tanks. DPSers are DPSers (not implying that mixes/hybrids between both don't exist). Point is you can pick DK and make a tank out of him if you want to, and it will work as a tank.

Now, whether people develop the DPS aspect more than the tank aspect of him or not, that's another matter.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #39
LostFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear View Post
i saw tinker carry too.. :/
oh yeah. but most carries are agi, anyways ill change that one

Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #40
KoR.zERo.DVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadblast View Post
So what? Tanks are tanks. DPSers are DPSers (not implying that mixes/hybrids between both don't exist). Point is you can pick DK and make a tank out of him if you want to, and it will work as a tank.

Now, whether people develop the DPS aspect more than the tank aspect of him or not, that's another matter.
hayzzzz.

Not because DK has high armor doesnt mean his a good tank.

1st of all, tanks eats both physical and magical damage.
2nd, Armor only reduce Physical.
3rd, DK HP isnt high.

It will work as a tank, but not like other tanks with impressive HP.

P.S Then why did you say tank-carry?

<--

Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat