[TWEAK] Thrall's Thematic Concept and Workout
Hi there fellow suggestors and reviewers,
a lot of discussion is on-going at the moment on Thrall's visual aspects and his theme, mainly criticising how they are in-game right now.
For this, there are many good and logical reasons:
- Although he's called a Far Seer, he doesn't use any of the typical abilities for such a class.
- The shamanistic lightning part of his theme isn't very creative
- He uses a strange psionic theme, which doesn't resemble Thrall at all
- Many aspects of Thrall's warcraft background are left out
Some argued that this was enough reason to change his model completely
I hardly think this has a chance to be implemented. We've all waited for Thrall really long, IceFrog surely worked on him for quite a while, unfortunately, most of us are not pleased with how Thrall is thematically atm - I'm pretty sure that's not an easy situation for IF either.
Therefore, my try to solve this problem goes into another direction. Instead of changing the whole background and the model of this hero, I'd prefer optmising and improving his currently insufficient theme
Unfortunately, I'm not talented with making visuals myself, this suggestion is more about the idea so far. If more talented guys could help making them and even come up with more ideas (always appreciated), I'll gladly put them in OP with credits
So, everything's said so far, moving on to the ideas
ANALYSIS OF THRALL'S BACKGROUND
What is Thrall's background
. If you want detailed information about this, read this
Melee fighter, blademaster
Far Seer Theme - Shamanistic Part
- "He mixes a judicious amount of melee with powerful spellcasting to great effect", says wowwiki.
Hardly possible to add this background. It would simply change his gameplay too much. Besides, he sits on the wolf, so it wouldn't make sense anyway.
Far Seer Theme - Seer part
- In ladder warcraft 3, Thrall is basically nothing more than a Far Seer, he doesn't use any special spells.
- In ladder, he uses both the lightning element and the earth element.
- "In one of the most spiritual experiences of his life, Thrall befriended the spirits of Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and the Wilds. He became the first new shaman since Gul'dan's vile corruption of the Horde." is mentioned in wowwiki.
Earth, Air, Fire, Water and the Wilds. That's a huge array of possibilities for a workout of his shamanistic sub theme. Sadly, IceFrog only took the lightning.
Here, different unique combinations of the elements are also possible (magma/lava just as an example), such uniqueness would even show his outstanding level of shamanism for that he is renowned.
- On the subject of the spirit wolves: I don't think they can be used without changing his skills. Besides, Lycanthrope already sort of uses them and I don't have the intention to make something unnecessarily overused.
- As stated here, being a seer doesn't necessarily mean that you can see far away places. This aspect doesn't go at all with his skills.
- However, being a far seer can enable you to see in the future and the past, and Thrall could do this as well ("that he had foreseen the future", wowwiki). This aspect could be used in his skills.
- His legendary hammer. This really could be used in one of his skills, and there are possibilities left open to add this awesome and unique aspect.
POTENTIAL VISUAL CHANGES
- The wolf he's riding. Would be cool to add something with this, but I don't see the possibility with his current skills atm.
I really think the current visual looks cool and it goes well with the skill, but there's one major problem:
The animation is really similar to Razor's Ult animation
: Using Doomhammer here could be an option to show the doom on the enemy, but I left it out, because this skill is instantly cast atm and such an animation would probably have effects on the gameplay by changing this.
Glimpse has only got a small lightning field animation on the hero and on the place he will be teleported.
I think this is very unfitting and relatively unimaginative.
It also looks like a smaller version of Ult's animation
:Of course, shamanistic aspects could be used here as well, but I think the other options clearly outweigh this option.
The current animation is that a field is created in which a lightning field animation grows and grows.
It looks quite good Imo and I'm not sure if it should be changed.
That's it so far, thank you for reading it. Any further suggestions added will be pronounced and written in changelog. I'm open to any further suggestions, ideas, objective criticism and even improvement ideas and of course, I'm desperately in need of anyone doing some animations, so please help me ^^
, for Doomhammer animation
, for his awesome Template, now first time I use it for a visual suggestion
, who helped me or reviewed this. And if you read this, thank you for having spent the time to read this thread