Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
TheBloodseeker

Default DotA on Battle.net

Is dead.

Getting a game going takes longer than 30 minutes, at times 2 hours. Unless you are playing Dota cash, which in this case is the ruler of the games simply because they host the most and new players are attracted to their consecutive games.

TDA? good luck, there has to be at most 19 players, and even that is pushing it. You can always see the same people over and over again.

Why make this thread? Why even mention this to the DotA community? It's because i care, it's because im worried about DotA even having a chance against HoN or LoL. Maybe it's too late, maybe DotA 2 is 2 years too late. LoL players are convinced their game is best, and HoN players are convinced their game is better than LoL. Those die-hard players are not switching, its the same for the dota players when LoL or HoN came out, we never switched - we can expect the same from them.

To be honest, i don't blame them, its basic marketing. And its predictable, in fact i wrote to icefrog and the forum several times about this issue. Now its too late, we missed the marker. Icefrog nailed the coffin with Bots.

Sure if you look at it, Bots are good. They don't lag (when hosted correctly), they are not bias, and they can host continuously without players in game to stay.
But that is NOT the dota community, and that is NOT what the community comes to play.

People did not come to 'play', they came to ridicule and destroy the opposition. To humiliate and shorten the ego of an opposing enemy. No one farms 40 minutes to increase their player skills, they do it to shove a rapier down their throat.

We are a community of Trolls, Trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls. And with the major element, The Host, we lost it all. and to boot, a global banlist (practically global, since pubs don't join anything but dotacash) makes the game unthinkable to join in on.

I haven't finished a complete game in over 2 months, 2 fucking months.

What is left? does Icefrog care? At this point in time, its not going to work itself out, it needs to be guided and worked with, or else our precious game will be gone.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
Thor258

Default Re: DotA on Battle.net
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

People have moved to other clients like DotALicious, Ranked Gaming Client, iCCup, Garena, etc.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
Morbius

...on battle.net
Old 02-16-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
Naroblas
Banned

Quote:
does Icefrog care?
no

hope i helped
Old 02-16-2011, 01:54 AM   #5
CelestialRice

I see plenty of people on Garena/DLG

RIP DotAlicious Gaming - June 2013
Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 AM   #6
slasherboy89

So long as I have someone to play with, be it a boring game with newbs and leavers or an outstanding game where winning or losing is on the edge of a string, its fine by me, cause its just an entertainment for me.

If I were serious about gaming, I'd be honing my skills to the point where I'd participate in tourneys, not just for the sake of self improvement so I would laugh at others with my strengths.

Every joke that touches a person's race, religion or believes is acceptable. Either everything is okay, or none of it is.

If you found a joke to be offensive, then you are a racist bastard.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:41 AM   #7
karadoc

Maybe it's only dead in your country. I play lots of games on battle.net, almost every day, and it only takes minutes to get a game. (Australia.) There are frequently several games being hosted at once.

In contrast, I tried dotalicious for the first time a little while ago and it took quite a long time to start a game. Much longer than getting a game on battle.net.

So again, battle.net dota isn't dead at all. It just depends on where you live.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:45 AM   #8
acf3passion

I stopped playing Dota on Bnet ages ago because:

1. Bnet's 250ms ping is fucking horrid unless you host using your own spyware-ridden bot.

2. Flamers and childish kiddies plague US servers. Fucking shitty ass American mentality is worst for DOTA (And I'm American!).

3. APEM faggots

4. Even when I left, DOTA was slow there. Takes too long.

5. Host bot abuse faggots. These little pussy 10 year-olds think they're the shit with bots. I've been kicked and banned before because I went rampage. Fucking children.

Garena is better because:

1. I always host. 0 ping = godly last hitting and raping

2. I play on Europe servers because no one plays in North America. It's busy, games fill fast, and no problems.

3. People are VERY NOTICEABLY nicer compared to kiddie Bnet. Less flaming, no APEM faggot games, less retards.

I don't care WTF you say. Garena beats Bnet by MILES.

And yes, other platform users can shove it because I've played on those. Dotalicious is the most serious, but I really don't like their lag, and leavers still persist (when they do, you wait ETERNITY for reconnection wait).

I played a mate from PD IH. He skilled Crits early with Leoric with no Soul Ring. What a noob. I don't think I'm missing much there.

Bnet <<<< Pile of shit <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Garena

Every day pub stomping = Garena is great
Serious games = Dotalicious

Old 02-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #9
darewin

Well DotA players think DotA is the best, who cares about HoN or LoL players not switching to DotA 2 when it comes out.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:49 AM   #10
MissBlood

Quote:
LoL players are convinced their game is best, and HoN players are convinced their game is better than LoL. Those die-hard players are not switching, its the same for the dota players when LoL or HoN came out, we never switched - we can expect the same from them.
Baddies

Romeo & Juliet - Act 1, Scene 2, Line 53:
Benvolio: Why, Romeo, art thou mad?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:00 AM   #11
acf3passion

Seriously man, use Garena. I've never looked back. Bnet 'community' isn't gonna magically change. It's been turd and always will be.

Yes, Garena has its share of leavers, flamers, etc. But it's nowhere near the epic proportions of a clusterfuck that is Bnet.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:07 AM   #12
kitchen

Suggestion Award 

HoN players, die-hard? S2 was banking on dota players picking up hon, and a bunch of hon's playerbase (ok, I have a pretty small sample size, but of the 10 or so friends I know who play HoN, all used to or still play dota, and from browsing their forums it seems like a lot of them are in the same boat) is current/ex dota players who had no qualms switching. I don't think they'd have any problem switching again.

And seriously, not having a host isn't that big of a deal. I only play pubs and dotacash is fine for me, and this is after years of regularly hosted games.

Maybe you're trolling or just getting a little ferclempt about something else, but there's no big problem here.
Last edited by kitchen; 02-16-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:40 AM   #13
pokesam94

Quote:
Originally Posted by acf3passion View Post
I stopped playing Dota on Bnet ages ago because:

1. Bnet's 250ms ping is fucking horrid unless you host using your own spyware-ridden bot.

2. Flamers and childish kiddies plague US servers. Fucking shitty ass American mentality is worst for DOTA (And I'm American!).

3. APEM faggots

4. Even when I left, DOTA was slow there. Takes too long.

5. Host bot abuse faggots. These little pussy 10 year-olds think they're the shit with bots. I've been kicked and banned before because I went rampage. Fucking children.

Garena is better because:

1. I always host. 0 ping = godly last hitting and raping

2. I play on Europe servers because no one plays in North America. It's busy, games fill fast, and no problems.

3. People are VERY NOTICEABLY nicer compared to kiddie Bnet. Less flaming, no APEM faggot games, less retards.

I don't care WTF you say. Garena beats Bnet by MILES.

And yes, other platform users can shove it because I've played on those. Dotalicious is the most serious, but I really don't like their lag, and leavers still persist (when they do, you wait ETERNITY for reconnection wait).

I played a mate from PD IH. He skilled Crits early with Leoric with no Soul Ring. What a noob. I don't think I'm missing much there.

Bnet <<<< Pile of shit <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Garena

Every day pub stomping = Garena is great
Serious games = Dotalicious

agreeded very much, im just sad i cant get my Garena to work anymore
Old 02-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #14
Pandamonium

People have moved to Garena, Heroes of Newerth, Dota Pod and other DotA gaming platforms.

For PANDARIA!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:43 AM   #15
dronza_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesam94 View Post
agreeded very much, im just sad i cant get my Garena to work anymore
What's the problem with your garena?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #16
Rivirland

Bnet isn't dead in Europe. I played 2 games yesterday, but I realised why I moved on to a better platform: I random'd N'aix and went mid against a Destroyer who used his orb when he had the mana, until he was oom and when he regenerated enough mana, he used his orb again. He was bottle first and I outlaned one of the best solo mids with a N'aix. We had a Rhasta in our team who said I was noob because... idk, he blamed the enemy for being noob because they 2v1'd him (aka gank :'D), we had a Rooftrellen who left after getting killed once etc etc

Most games are em, lots of noobs, but a guaranteed pub stomp there.

Garena is worse, by the way. Bottle first in sidelane is not weird to see at all, people stay in lane with 10% hp and cry for no miss when they die when someone in his own lane kills him while being fogged. Way more noobs and leavers there imo.

Anyway, people have moved to platforms where leaving is punished, with stat tracking etc etc
Old 02-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #17
Cp6uja

DotA on Bnet has never been popular anyway.

Also, people do play on Bnet, but you can't see those games, since they are private, like Dota-League and Dota Cash.

And why would you play on Bnet which has nothing to do with DotA when you have RGC, DLG, ICCUP, Garena which provide much better options.

This is very wrong observation, and your worries about other DotA clones are silly.

Increase DotA speed for about 10 fps here. Want fast and stable DotA? Go here!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #18
Rikoshay

Battle.net is the worst platform these days.
Hackers, Leavers, and plenty of noobs.
DLG, iCCup and DP is probably the best platforms for DotA.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #19
sebeke

Playing DotA on bnet is useless really. Garena is also shit, so many random drops,lags bugs etc and if you play pub everyone suck. The worst thing is that garena admins dont care as long as cash keeps comming from gold account, they dont even bother to fix GGTV or a million bugs. Also garena.ro (part of garena) is hackers who ddosed RGC lately. RGC far superior platform without all these anoying things. Only reason to still play ggc is for cws since noone switched yet ( also leagues).
Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
Madchen

Dota-legaue SIG's on bnet are very good pubs games. Much more better the nany ggc pub even rgc pub but also skill lvl in sig is above those two.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #21
Mr. Burns

Yea things were better 2-4 years back. No bots in sight etc...
Yea it really is annoying that you can't play 5vs5 till the end. I play sometimes in
Useast. There is more 5vs5 (till the end games) than Bnet Europe.
Btw, Op do you play in Eu or UsBnet?
Yeah bots don't lag, but best things in bots is !votekick (you can kick lagging or noob player).
I don't have any idea that how games does full in Garena or Dota-league or iCCup, but (ofc depends on a bot and game)sometimes it takes pretty long to find games with 4 or more players.
There is some good players in Bnet, but they just play with noobheroes (BS,Traxex etc.) and it pisses me off sometimes, but there is some good Invoker and Pudge (haven't saw good Sf or Potm player for a 3-4 months) players, though maybe players who plays with Traxex,Bs etc. aren't good players if they just play with "noobish" heroes just like my big brother did (now he playes almost every hero except Visage,Chen,Pudge,Potm..).

Imo Bnet cannot be saved anymore.
Last edited by Mr. Burns; 02-16-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #22
sunnymarcell
Banned

you are wrong. so many usfags crying that american battle.net is lagging, slow, and shit

europe battle.net is perfect. no lags, only bot games, dont need to wait more than 5 minutes to start the game. the only problem is the leavers, but they will be always.

europe > usa
Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #23
Amaranth Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
Yea things were better 2-4 years back. No bots in sight etc...
Yea it really is annoying that you can't play 5vs5 till the end. I play sometimes in
Useast. There is more 5vs5 (till the end games) than Bnet Europe.
Btw, Op do you play in Eu or UsBnet?
Yeah bots don't lag, but best things in bots is !votekick (you can kick lagging or noob player).
I don't have any idea that how games does full in Garena or Dota-league or iCCup, but (ofc depends on a bot and game)sometimes it takes pretty long to find games with 4 or more players.
There is some good players in Bnet, but they just play with noobheroes (BS,Traxex etc.) and it pisses me off sometimes, but there is some good Invoker,Pudge (haven't saw good Sf or Potm player for a 3-4 months) players, though maybe players who plays with Traxex,Bs etc. aren't good players if they just play with "noobish" heroes just like my big brother did (now he playes almost every hero except Visage,Chen,Pudge,Potm..).

Imo Bnet cannot be saved anymore.
Red: Yeah thats me xDD Yeah bnet sucks. I invite all to Dotalicious, do it!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #24
meist0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymarcell View Post
europe battle.net is perfect. no lags, only bot games, dont need to wait more than 5 minutes to start the game. the only problem is the leavers, but they will be always.
i can confirm that. never had any problem playing in europe bnet.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #25
Mr. Burns

@Reaperdude Yea right! Again at friday
Old 02-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #26
Alibambam

Quote:
Seriously man, use Garena. I've never looked back. Bnet 'community' isn't gonna magically change. It's been turd and always will be.

Yes, Garena has its share of leavers, flamers, etc. But it's nowhere near the epic proportions of a clusterfuck that is Bnet.
Garena=B.net

Old 02-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #27
acf3passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibambam View Post
Garena=B.net
No fucking way, not a god damn chance in hell. You must be blind.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #28
Whitefang

Actually I think there are more players on LAN cafe than online. Well, that is in Malaysia and one LAN cafe can connect to another LAN cafe network which make the game is available all the time. Online Dota players doesn't represent the total numbers on all Dota players around the world. I remember even IF used to make a survey about LAN players and I guest they are more than online players as they don't have to go through all the hassle to choose platform, account sign up, login and so on. Just open Warcraft, select game and play. But I think the rate of leavers in pubs are still the same no matter where.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #29
Rivirland

Quote:
No fucking way, not a god damn chance in hell. You must be blind.
I agree. Garena < Bnet

And to all the guys who saying there are hackers on Bnet: No. Just no. I've never seen a hacker in my life on Bnet, because you get IP banned when Blizzard finds out and Bnet actually has some anti-maphack tools which cause you to be IP banned. Garena is full of map/drop/... hackers, and that just sucks.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #30
fireblaze762

Well Bnet is alright if you find a good bot, especially one with stats which give you a similar experiance to the more 'advanced platforms'.

With bots you can almost always get no delay, often play against reasonably good players, and occasionally play against really good ones.

Bot games are vastly superior to normal host games.
If you know the bots name, you can always /whois it, and always find a game with no lag, and with the game mode you want. And theres no lag, or hosts waiting forever for their friends.

For instance, i play on europe, I always go /whois ghostgraz3, which is an ap bot hosted by ghost graz (excellent bots and good community). Due to the high number of admins, you can often have great games against them.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #31
Varuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodseeker View Post
and to boot, a global banlist (practically global, since pubs don't join anything but dotacash) makes the game unthinkable to join in on.
Here's the part you lost me.

Dotacash is popular. There are at least several hundred players online at any hour of the day, games take 30 seconds to 2 minutes to host and launch, max. At peak hours, sometimes the 10-second countdown to start takes longer than the game took to fill.

So, you start off by saying host bots are good... then you say this.

Why is the game unthinkable to join in on because of a global banlist?.. and Dotacash is VERY forgiving in their ban system.. you can even blatantly leave games, and as long as you give a reason on the website, you wont get banned.. and "The game was basically over" is an acceptable reason to leave.

You've posted a rant like this before and -- as far as I can tell -- this boils down to the same reasoning... which seems to be you like being host and having control over who gets banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieaw.th View Post
Varuka you are best freind of the tree world in warcraft galaxy
Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #32
SwedishChef

Typing "/j allstars" dosn't work for you?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #33
moon31f

Brazillian BNET dota community:

3 full clan channels + the tryhards, inhouses and a couple of CFs everyday during our 6PM~midnight time. Pubbies only go down from 5AM to 9AM in the weekdays. Pretty good for me.

If we get bored, get down to RGC.

Can't say i don't like it. After some years, i kinda know everyone already. And there is always the plus of no hacks, cause we care for our HARD EARNED cd keys. Since its VERY hard to get one in Brasil, hackers are at bay.

It miight be this way till dota 2 comes out.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #34
Xmarksthegank

There are certain leagues running such as Dota-League, DotaInvite, Nordicleague, Div-league and GhostGraz running on Bnet to say the least.

Bnet standard 250ms ping is not an issue these days.
0 ms delay is what you get if you host, no matter where you play.

BNET works fine, at least on Northend. It's just that... you don't join the normal games. The only ones who are hosting "user-hosted" games (which are laggy, look at DL as an example, bots >>>>> any host) are those who want to have the hosting powers. Thus, now it's a 95% chance that when you join an user-hosted game on bnet, you will have

1) Host abusing VCK, cancels the game the instant things go wrong etc.
2) Retarded extra rules added into the game

But those account for like 5% of the games. Pub-leagues, like Dota-League and Div-league offer better leaver protection although skill-level wise it only removes the recipe-only buyers.

BNET as a platform >>> Garena. It's just a matter of playing the right games.

You shouldn't really look that worried about it in any way. Dota lost a lot more players when wow or other big games came out and wc3 died out. Right now only the less-casual players are playing, and if someone who plays casually is to play, he is guided by his friend in 9/10 of the cases.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #35
Mordi-

There's not a whole lot IceFrog can do about the Battle.net scene.

People have moved on to other clients that do a better job.

A major kink was that whole bot fiasco, now it's possible to get decent pings and have stable games but most of the players have already left Battle.net and moved on.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #36
Fredbull

It doesn't take me more than 2 minutes to get a game going O.o try joining allstars or clan pdc - that is, if you don't mind playing veryyy low level pubs.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #37
MurazorOFAngmar

whats new thebloodseeker crying and claiming dota is dead. he does this every few months.

Us.East

Dota since 2002 - RoC -
Warcraft since 1997
Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #38
Blarrg

Go on a different realm.

On US East games fill in just a few seconds, at most a few minutes. The DotACash bots also have great servers (I average ~12 ms ping).

Quote:
Originally Posted by damN_Grave View Post
Blarrg is awesome
Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #39
damN_Grave

Seriously, some of my good DotA friends in school have switched to LOL.
And a lot of others around the country.

Sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven2k View Post
Grave you dickhole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3H View Post
God damn it gravedamn.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #40
mwdiver9

Why do people act like you can only play one game in the genre? I play 2 consistently (HoN and Dota) and I even play LoL from time to time. When you take into account the people that play Dota + another game you will notice that Dota will not die and that the same amount if not more people will buy and play Dota 2. Bnet is completely taken over by bots.
Its not the training, Asians are born better at video games the same way black people are more athletic. Lewl. At first the Asian elitism in this thread annoyed me, but then I said to myself "meh, they finally found something they're good at, I'll let them enjoy it."

My Favorite Heros.

What this forum makes me do 90% of the time
  Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat