Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
mattimias

Default Items for Zeus...

Usually whenever I pick or get randomed Zeus, I get tangoes,clarities,2 nulls and boots if I can. Then I get dagon, soulbooster. Usually around this point it's mid-game and I get aghanim,and finish my bloodstone. I don't level my dagon and I don't upgrade boots.

Could someone please criticize (Constructively) this item build and offer some suggestions on how I should modify it? One of the questions I have is that should boots be upgraded? Or should they just stay as boots?

Should I level my dagon? And what items should I get if I already have all the above and have spare money in the late-game? Thanks for comments.

Created by the one and only awesomest Nitroskim!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
badmafa
Banned

Default Re: Items for Zeus...
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

You shouldn't be getting Dagon at all. You should be addressing Zeus's survivability. Force Staff would be a much better purchase. You should definitely be upgrading Zeus's boots, if only for the extra movespeed. Arcane can usually be justified, but if you're doing well, Travels are also an option.

I wouldn't recommend Aghanim's.

If you're going the Soul Booster road, don't finish Bloodstone. Get that Void Stone and instead work towards Guinsoo's. If you only invest in magic damage (like buying Dagon/Aghanim's), your enemies will all buy Hoods/Pipe and your usefulness plummets. Guinsoo's ensures that you have a real disable that doesn't care about magic resistance.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Thephoniex

how can you live as zues with your only survivability comming from base move speed? anyone with a slow kills you.. and that includes OOV... what do you do against someone who gets a hood? not leave the fountain?

zues items
-urn- you need some hps
-bracer-> janggo- hps and speed
AB- you need mana to spam
force staff/euls- both are good, i perfer euls because you can remove debuffs on yourself with it. Euls also combos well with lighing/chain.. hit um twice then euls them.. then hit um twice again and ult.. can be deadly.

dagon should never be gotten.. if you really want to get a high end item, get refresher.. for 1k more gold you get double damage from your ult, which is more than what your ultstick gives.

Sheep is great and so are bot's.. midgame upgrading AB to bot is good if you have the gold. getting sheep is also great if you have the gold. I personally would perfer linkins for suriviability over soulbooster/bloodstone.

dagger for positioning is also super useful.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
woozie how

1)Arcane OR Phase boots
2)Urn+basilius OR Soul Ring
3)Force Staff
4)Euls
5)Jango

And that is all you need to be awesome.
I have a friend over the internet, he has 2 fathers (gay couple) and he has the happiest life a teenager cam have, he has a car, goes to best school and can bring girls to his room without any objection. and his is rich.

Course he'd like to know about his mom but its only blood for that matter. and he is happy enough with his fathers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NegiThree View Post
I have a friend, he is Jesus. He drove an SUV over the pacific ocean and we ended up camping inside an orange county dunkin donuts.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
plzonlygame

start - magic stick, 3 branch, tango, potion

core - wand, arcane boots (str treads if you are getting most runes), cloak/hood/vanguard, blink, bottle

luxury - hex, scepter
Old 03-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
HonorGuard

Zeus is one of those early-mid game nukers, and late game disablers, except unlike heroes like rhasta or puck, he doesn't have any disabling skills. The only thing going for him late game is the hp loss from static field, and thats about it.

What you need in your build is survivability, as many above have said. However, you also need to work towards farming up that guinsoo for the disable, as well as for the spamming of your spells, to the static field effect.

Normally, late game i don't even bother using the Bolt, because they just get the hood. Start bolting creeps for the money, and static field and arc lightning will handle the rest. Late game, you need a blink or some kind of re-positioning tool. You also need the disables.

There are very few ways to play zeus, so I believe that only slight deviations may be made to the item and skill build.

My Guide
Improving Yourself In DotA
Old 03-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
mattimias

After comparing lvl 1 dagon and force staff, I find force staff to be slightly better. However, I can't seem to find any use for the ability of force staff, other than providing a boost.

So your saying that i should replace one of my nulls with the items needed for arcane boots eventually? Or something like that? The mana boost is helpful. Hmm...

No Aghanim? That's odd. Wrath causes 570 dmg. with scepter. It's useful for Zeus. Why not?

It sounds reasonable, and I think I can do without perseverance. Guinsoo is expensive though, I don't know if i can even complete it in most games. If I don't forgo Aghanim, that is.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
cro.pwr

guinso/euls/blink/survivability items

basicly, you want him to have disable for late game, and he needs survivability since hes paper nuker (linkens, bloodstone, bla bla bla)

e: ninjad 5 times xD
Old 03-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
doomsheep

get a stick and upgrade it quickly for merlini action. they'll be wanting to kill you once you hit 5. after that i find pretty much any of the usual stuff works.

dagon is a very bad idea. if you really need damage you can go for EB.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
mattimias

And please don't provide an entirely new item build, I just want to modify my current build.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
HonorGuard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattimias View Post
And please don't provide an entirely new item build, I just want to modify my current build.
Why don't you like your build? Why is it weak to you?

If your playstyle suits your build, then why not continue with it? Sure there might be more effective ones, but if you're not compatible with them, how are you going to pull them off?

My Guide
Improving Yourself In DotA
Old 03-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
Chefsache

Get just Wand/Boots instead of Nulls/Boots, then go for a quick Pointbooster and Agha, one of the escape-items before finishing Agha if they really want to hold you down.

BoT after.

Get rid of Dagon and Bloodstone.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
ima_sheep(sux)

start: ring of protection + 6 clarity + 1 tango
```hope for a chicken```
nuke creeps with chain and use clarity until you get 600 g > bottle
boots
blade of atk x2
if you happen to have a lot of gold from spam/gank/tower > blink dagger > euls
else > euls parts > euls > blink
situational: ghost scepter / guinsoo parts
eth blade
sell phase > bots
refresher
buyback gold
skills:
chain > static > bolt > bolt > bolt > ult > bolt > static all the way > chain all the way> stats all the way
Brain: use it to the max
fingers: click very fast but don't break your mouse
Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Chefsache

Quote:
Originally Posted by ima_sheep(sux) View Post
start: ring of protection + 6 clarity + 1 tango
```hope for a chicken```
nuke creeps with chain and use clarity until you get 600 g > bottle
boots
blade of atk x2
if you happen to have a lot of gold from spam/gank/tower > blink dagger > euls
else > euls parts > euls > blink
situational: ghost scepter / guinsoo parts
eth blade
sell phase > bots
refresher
buyback gold
skills:
chain > static > bolt > bolt > bolt > ult > bolt > static all the way > chain all the way> stats all the way
Brain: use it to the max
fingers: click very fast but don't break your mouse
Why buy a RoP if you don't plan on getting the Sobi for RoB after?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
Heroico

Simple, he forgot. Finish the RoB. Anyway I don't like that build.

Some build:

Sobi or RoR, tangos, claritys, branches, etc.
Finish Soul Ring.
Boots.
Another Sobi.
Void Stone.
Finish Eul's.

Throw in a Point Booster or an Ultimate Orb (depending on your money) in between, before or after the Eul's.

Finish Guinsoo or Aghanim (depending on what you bought).

You can make Arcane Boots, but you won't need that much mana (Eul's+Soul Ring is more than enough). Make Travelling boots if you want, or better yet, finish the major item you didn't finished before (Aghanim or Guinsoo)

Throw in some Bracers if you feel you don't have enough HP. Or just place some stats points instead of leveling up Arc Lighting.

Possible late game items:
Boots
Soul Ring
Eul's
Guinsoo
Point Booster
Scroll of Town Portal

Skill build:
1. Arc Lighting
2. Static Field
3. Lighting Bolt
4. Lighting Bolt
5. Lighting Bolt
6. Thundergod's Wrath
7. Lighting Bolt
8. Static Field or Stats
9. Static Field or Stats
10. Static Field or Stats
11. Thundergod's Wrath
12. Static Field or Arc or Stats
13. Static Field or Arc or Stats
14. Static Field or Arc or Stats
15. Arc or Stats
16. Thundergod's Wrath
17. Arc or Stats
18. Arc or Stats
19+. Stats

Explanation: 1 level of Arc early for last-hits and Static abuse. Bolt is maxed first of course. Take Wrath whenever you can.
After that, you can max Static if you're doing well, or 3 levels of Stats if you're doing poorly.
If you opted for maxing Static Field, then you can take 3 levels of Stats or max Arc Lighting. If you opted for 3 levels of Stats (8-9-10), then max Static now.
Max Arc if you haven't done it yet. Maybe you will want to not level it to 4 and leave it at 3. Why? because it has A LOT of jumps at level 4 (9 at 3, 15 at 4), and it will cooldown before it actually finishes (you can't use it while it's still jumping), so you're wasting the great late game potential of Static Field.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
kawumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmafa View Post
You shouldn't be getting Dagon at all. You should be addressing Zeus's survivability. Force Staff would be a much better purchase. You should definitely be upgrading Zeus's boots, if only for the extra movespeed. Arcane can usually be justified, but if you're doing well, Travels are also an option.

I wouldn't recommend Aghanim's.

If you're going the Soul Booster road, don't finish Bloodstone. Get that Void Stone and instead work towards Guinsoo's. If you only invest in magic damage (like buying Dagon/Aghanim's), your enemies will all buy Hoods/Pipe and your usefulness plummets. Guinsoo's ensures that you have a real disable that doesn't care about magic resistance.
pretty much this. urn/basi/bottle are also pretty nice on zues, dagger too (although force-staff is arguably more versatile on zeus, he doesnt really need precise positioning, benefits from the int and the fact that he can use force after getting dmged). euls is also ok but i kinda hate its build-up.
/thread
epic

Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #17
midgtwitafidgt

Many teams have been playing him as more pure AoE damage nuker, putting him in a tri-lane with Bracers. All he has to do is survive and dish out nukes. Even with tanking items, he does ridiculous AoE damage. Lesson being: SURVIVE. That's pretty much all you need, and a little boost for your mana pool. Agha is not a bad item, because it gives you Stats, but in many cases there are more pressing needs that your team needs and you can fill (Force Staff, Eul's, etc.).
Old 03-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #18
MikeTAR

You should really read Merlini's guide to Zues. (notice in dota when you pick/random zues his name sometimes switches to Merlini) nuff said
Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 AM   #19
sd19

As for me my core items for Zeus are:

Boots/Arcane Boots - IMS is always good and the mana recovery is a plus.
Soul Ring - More Mana.
Force Staff/Euls - Utility items are always welcome.
TP - No need for explanation.

Other items to consider:

Guinsoo - Well, since Zeus will not be farming the whole time, you cannot get this item every game.

Boots of Travel - Frees up a space in your inventory and the almost global teleport is always good.

Shiva's Guard - Gives a little survivability against physical attacks and the additional damage and slow always come in handy.

A.Scepter - If you're gold doesn't reach 1.5k consider this than forcing yourself for a Guinsoo.

That's it. For me positioning and timing is the key whenever you play Zeus. You stay behind casting spells non-stop. Then Ulti-ing before team fight for anti-dagger/map awareness/roshan fights.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:15 AM   #20
jijer0711

well....dagon isnt a gud item on zues..
i usually get arcane boots,bottle,2x bracer, scepter and guinsoo...
Replace arcane boots with BoT if the game lasts long...
Old 03-11-2011, 03:24 AM   #21
galuf

arcane boots are not mana efficient... especially when you are pubbing and aim for luxuries.

That's just maths... with that cost on ultimate and zeus's int you should take rough regen instead and a stick/wand is often enough in early squirmishes/teamfights.

For pubs I would say PT or BoT / Ghinsoo / Tarasque / planeswalker cloak > pipe if nobody makes it against some caster comp. Ghost scepter is strong against heavy phisical damage dealers and orbwalkers (taking it earlier can give an edge against viper/trax/od) but care of the timing. ^^ (anyway it's more money efficient than u orb).

If you are doing badly soul booster + forcestaff can be enough to allow some spam time late.

If you don't plan to roam early or if your lane is not that intensive (passive play) urn is a bad idea.

Lurked on "I'm the juggernaut, bitch"
Old 03-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #22
RandomFlamer

Phase boots + Force Staff + Euls. Crazy mobility + enhanced base damage and disable. Not to mention casting bolt, euls, bolt. Goof stuff.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #23
MaDuiN

I always get Arcane boots + urn + stick + aghanim + refresher. Maybe a Bracer -> Jango if too squishy, or Ghost spec if against massive physical dmg dealers.

This will leave you maybe a bit squishy, and deaths will occur. But on the other hand, why make a mobile Zeus, when the hero does not need mobility, hes a bit like Sniper - stay out of trouble, nuke from a far, try to use as much of your mana as you can before dying (sniper should use as much bullets as he can before dying ).

Dagon is useless because you need to get to close range (which isnt a good idea during mid to late game) and bloodstone is just a waste to Zeus (since you dont need kills, or mana regene or hp regene that much).
Old 03-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #24
sunnymarcell
Banned

if i random i go sobi mask+tango/salve+3x branch+magic wand recipe, if i pick i go 3x branch+wand recipe+tango+salve, buy magic stick + sobi mask at lane.

i always rush refresher+aghanim, but its a dumb build, and countered hard by hood/cloak.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #25
Busty_Chix

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoG- View Post
start - magic stick, 3 branch, tango, potion

core - wand, arcane boots (str treads if you are getting most runes), cloak/hood/vanguard, blink, bottle

luxury - hex, scepter
^^ works like a charm.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #26
LukeWindwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by galuf View Post
Ghost scepter is strong against heavy phisical damage dealers and orbwalkers (taking it earlier can give an edge against viper/trax/od)
Wat?
Old 03-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #27
Thephoniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeWindwalker View Post
Wat?
umm.. if you ghost septor yourself then you can run away from viper/drow because they cant hit you anymore.. I would not want to do it against OD.. because he can still ult u.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #28
midgtwitafidgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by galuf View Post
arcane boots are not mana efficient... especially when you are pubbing and aim for luxuries.

That's just maths... with that cost on ultimate and zeus's int you should take rough regen instead and a stick/wand is often enough in early squirmishes/teamfights.

For pubs I would say PT or BoT / Ghinsoo / Tarasque / planeswalker cloak > pipe if nobody makes it against some caster comp. Ghost scepter is strong against heavy phisical damage dealers and orbwalkers (taking it earlier can give an edge against viper/trax/od) but care of the timing. ^^ (anyway it's more money efficient than u orb).

If you are doing badly soul booster + forcestaff can be enough to allow some spam time late.

If you don't plan to roam early or if your lane is not that intensive (passive play) urn is a bad idea.
Arcane Boots is actually VERY good on Zeus. No, it's not the ideal regen, but early game Zeus actually has more of a pool problem than regen, and the small amount of team regen never hurts when you're ganking. It can be disassembled later for SB.

Also your pub build has pretty much no easily farmable items. You'll be stuck on Boots and TP for so long that you'll be useless. I realize that you said it's purely for pubs, but it's really not feasible unless your opponents are braindead.

Lastly, Ghost Scepter is more for surviving huge amounts of late-game DPS (or Ursa). For Orb-walkers I'd rather get a Force Staff to be able to save my teammates and actually increase the distance between the chaser and myself. With Ghost they will probably just follow you until it wears off. And if you were planning on killing them before Ghost wears off...well you could do that without the item.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #29
JerkCo

refresher.
you are now a god.

...or you can just read merlini's zeus guide
I don't know if that guide is updated with arcane boots though.
forcestaff/guinsoo/blinkeuls are your late options.
any more, and i suggest you just save it for buybacks.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #30
Druss

battlefury zeus is awesome ! epic attack animation ! you can't loose after that.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #31
Lycan
Forum Staff

wand, (urn), AB, (bottle), (eul), point booster(don;t upgrade to agha it's a waste doing so before lategame for a shorter cooldown on your ultimate), Force/EB/Sheep/Dagger

Death is the only true winner of war
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #32
LeeDy

Linken's,Guinsoo,Shivas-my items on an int hero ^^,

add dagger if u want, agha is optional
Old 03-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #33
ololo1

Ok ok - listen to real zeus pro xd For your starting items buy - 3 branches ring of protection tangos and salve - then proceed to making RoB and buying bottle - you should get this <5 mins - you will have all mana you need for early gangs/ kills etc - everything else is waste (if you feel need in clarities go ahead but not too many).
The other thing you need to do is buy pt - why? Cheap and imba stat switch - need to survive that last hit ? Str - Need mana ? Int. Why not arcane? You already have enough mana. Why not bot? Too expensive. If you want to follow some proper item builts get hex or euls next item - if you feel very offencive and confident get euls+dagger - if you want to tryhard go for hex. DONT GET AGHA - IMO it is waste of money.
On built - in my opinion zeus will feel most comfortable on any lane with this skill built -Lvl 1 arc Lvl 2 Bolt Lvl 3 bolt Lvl 4 stats Lvl 5 bolt Lvl 6 ult Lvl 7 bolt and so on not leveling passive until like level 12. Why? Provides you with hp and mp and allows to be not so item dependant.

Let the world burn
Old 03-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #34
mattimias

That's...A lot.
I think I'll stick with something like this:
2 Nulls/1 Null and bracer and boots
Complete arcane boots.
Soul ring then force staff.
Soul booster/Jango lastly Scepter.
If I still have gold and the game hasn't ended, get Eul or Guinsoo.I'm kinda stuck on this point here. Which one?

Old 03-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #35
LeeDy

Rush agha and voila, We Are Electric! xD
Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #36
ololo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattimias View Post
That's...A lot.
I think I'll stick with something like this:
2 Nulls/1 Null and bracer and boots
Complete arcane boots.
Soul ring
then force staff.
Soul booster/Jango lastly Scepter.If I still have gold and the game hasn't ended, get Eul or Guinsoo.I'm kinda stuck on this point here. Which one?
You don't need staff i highlighted =/

Let the world burn
Old 03-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #37
Euronymus_ftw

Soul Ring -> Phase/Travel/Arcane -> forcestaff / ghostscepter -> hex -> w/e.

Thanks to Mr. Foxxie for the sig =]

Old 03-14-2011, 03:13 AM   #38
mattimias

Force staff is just a replacement of dagon for me,but it's useful for ganking.I don't see a need to NOT get it.For Arcane boots,i get it for the mana boost.I play aggressively,and I need mana esp. in earlygame,where I use arc lightning for last hits.
Btw my build's only for 3v3s and below.I'm currently trying to modify the build for a 5v5.Of course,branches are part of it.I might go for 3 branches,boots,tango and clarities as starting items.Should I have magic wand as a core?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #39
PsYc0t!c

wand bottle arcane euls still game goes on get aghanims, refresher === zap those lowhp invi heros who think they have esc from ur wrath

dont get soul ring u need 2 survive till the end.....already zeus will hunted down in team battles because of arc +static if u r in red or yellow u will b running around with a big marker asking u to b killed

zeus should b preferably in fog or in the back no where close to the middle of action....spam the arc ....all opponents loose 11% of their current hp every 2.25s if some carry cms near u cyclone the guy and go back again and spam

a zeus surviving 4s(enough time to cast 2arc +1bolt +1ulti) can reduce all opponents in 1000AoE to 63% of their HP with static alone...if u survive 3 more sec u can again zap them 2 more times which gets them to 49% of the total HP.....just survive that should b ur motto
Old 03-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #40
flowra

My zues build
starting>>>gg branch and few clarities + tangoes

core>>>boots of speed, bottle, bottle, bottle, wand, TP
late game>>> travel, dagger, euls, force staff, ghost staff and linkens
  Defense of the Ancients Game Strategy