Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Lithary

Post Killing children in video games.

I was surprised when I found out what sort of taboo this was.
Anyway, tell me your opinion on all this.
Should we be able to do that and why.

I personally think that it all depends what kind of game it is.
For example, I think that we should be able to kill children in Skyrim.
Why?
Well, that game is about civil war, dragons and is trying to be serious, realistic and believable as much as possible and wants to give us freedom of choices.
I can't remember that kids had any sort of god mode during war or any other situation like that.
Don't believe me?
Ask my grandfather to tell you a story of when he was 9 and had to run with his brothers and sisters while soldiers killed his both parents and 1 year old brother with sabers (bullets were expensive) just about dozen meters behind him.
Also, I find all this children killing taboo in video games somewhat retarded.
What, it's bad if you kill a kid and good if you kill that same kid when it grows up?
Wtf?
It's not like death asks you for your ID when it comes knocking at your door, might.
I think that stuff like that should be given as option for to a player and let the player decide if he wants to bash or pet their little heads.

About other games and children killing, they should also say goodbye to this stupid taboo.

Also, what is the reason behind all this?
Why did it become such a taboo?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Diablo

Default Re: Killing children in video games.
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

In Fable u can kill childrens..but i didn`t do that
Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Lithary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Not that I will do that because I love children (there is a whole personal philosophy behind it), but I also don't go around killing adults in video games also.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
PuЪLiㄷEиəℳy#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Wait, I used to play Fable. Iirc, I can't do that, even as I set my hero to attack them. I can kill normal village people but not children (and bards and traders). Can anyone confirm this?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
BattledOne

^ Yup.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Sonic_Stream

In War3 you kill children too
Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
BattledOne

^Really? I thought I was making pixels turn red.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Lithary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Stream View Post
In War3 you kill children too
Yap.
You could do that in Bioshock (yap, you can call it whatever you want, but you kill them if you harvest Little Sisters), Painkiller (I think that there is level in orphanage where there are some demonic children, Doom 3 (those baby demons) and... can't remember any other game.
But those are games that have guts to do things properly.
Also, someone told me that killing children in game is will only cause people to go violent and stuff.
Well, I think that it could be said for killing adults too.
Still, I think that violence in video games will only make you less violent since you will have your place to blow your steam off when you need to do so.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
tech-ladan
Tech Support Volunteer

and sims series! u can kill them
i remember sims 1 when I made a pool then when sims inside sell the stairs! they will drown!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
Cp6uja

Its Video Game.

Notice the Video part.

Increase DotA speed for about 10 fps here. Want fast and stable DotA? Go here!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
The Observer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp6uja View Post
Its Video Game.

Notice the Video part.
Maybe you were pointing at the Game part.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
Lithary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech-ladan View Post
and sims series! u can kill them
i remember sims 1 when I made a pool then when sims inside sell the stairs! they will drown!
Didn't know that.
When I played Sims 1, I only designed houses and that's that.
Rest was boring for me.

Quote:
Its Video Game.

Notice the Video part.
Don't get it.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
мusịĸ

The industry geniuses and analysts don't seem to comprehend the fact that games are, in fact, entirely fictional. They might be related to and be based off of real-world events, but in the gaming environment they are fictional.

By that logic I would like to answer to the query that "no": it is not unethical nor is it wrong by any standards.
There's a line to be drawn here, however: if it is just for the sake of telling us that killing is good (in which case the age nor any other trait should not matter, anyway) it should be looked down upon. However, if it is some artistic license or the game trying to tell a message (i.e: how cruel the world can be etc.) it is totally okay and, in fact, should even be promoted I dare to say.

Unnecessarily strict beautification of reality, is all censorship boils down to.
Beeping curse words; stupid or totally fucking retarded?
Life is a waterfall|My YouTube Channel|Realized by Kakkun!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
Yendor
Forum Staff

Quote:
Its Video Game.

Notice the Video part.
What exactly shout that tell us now?

I know plenty of horror-VIDEOS where kids die in horrible ways...

Notice the Video part.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
мusịĸ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post

Notice the Video part.
I think he was referring to the facts I presented above; he probably just cited the wrong word.
Life is a waterfall|My YouTube Channel|Realized by Kakkun!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
BlizziC

nah, i kill them whenever i can, both irl and video games
Time doesn’t stop
Prepare your doubts
Eat them up
Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
Lithary

Quote:
Originally Posted by мusịĸ View Post
The industry geniuses and analysts don't seem to comprehend the fact that games are, in fact, entirely fictional. They might be related to and be based off of real-world events, but in the gaming environment they are fictional.

By that logic I would like to answer to the query that "no": it is not unethical nor is it wrong by any standards.
There's a line to be drawn here, however: if it is just for the sake of telling us that killing is good (in which case the age nor any other trait should not matter, anyway) it should be looked down upon. However, if it is some artistic license or the game trying to tell a message (i.e: how cruel the world can be etc.) it is totally okay and, in fact, should even be promoted I dare to say.

Unnecessarily strict beautification of reality, is all censorship boils down to.
Beeping curse words; stupid or totally fucking retarded?
Censorship actually turns people into bricks and make them lose touch with actual reality.
That's the reason why censorship is one of the rare things I actually hate.
People say that they want reality, but in fact they just want nice part of it witch is just an idealistic fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post

Notice the Video part.
Not only horror films.
Lot of kids die in other movies as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlizziC View Post
nah, i kill them whenever i can, both irl and video games
lol
Old 04-21-2011, 04:21 AM   #18
ChildLikEmperor
Forum Staff

Awesome 

Theres enough crazy shit in video games, why do we need to add to it. In all honesty it does desensitise people and this isnt a good thing.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:52 AM   #19
Domenico
Forum Staff

I lol at the way developers interprete this taboo. Unkillable kids are FTW.
Seriously, if game supposes that you player will commit some massacre in some place, placing kids who refuse to die when anyone else do... WTF? What a design failure.

Though in any video games I hate to kill people who can't fight back (it pisses me off when it's an objective), or who are "just passing by", even if they maybe can, no matter children or not.

So, I have to agree with CLE. Maybe it sounds too simple to work, but infact it works.
When I and my friends were younger and were behaving in games artlessly, I noted that I can really match character (I mean, character of that man, not ingame hero) of my mate with his playstyle. Eventually I found out that I rarely (I mean, really rarely) can find a nice person among those who enjoy massacring people in video games for fun (for example, in fallout2 or such).
Besides, it is possible already to notice shift in people's mind caused by that TV policy and such. VG aren't exeption either.

It is common to think that gore in VG makes people cruel, but it's not that simple. Scenes of gore in general mean shit actually, but when player can really associate what's going on with RL (like killing civilians you was talking 5 minutes before), now that can be too much to leave no trace in one's mind, especially if it happens regularly, in different games.

I can hardly see any solution to resolve this problem of open-world games. You can't make town look realistically without adding children. You can't make that open-world game without making it possible to interact with townfolk in any manner available to your character. Good luck with avoiding both taboo-breaking and design failure aka "immortal kids".

"The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments."
— Friedrich Nietzsche

------------------------------------------
DC and VG mod. Feel free to PM me with your concerns.
Note that I have that infamous edit-a-lot-after-posting syndrome.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #20
Lithary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildLikEmperor View Post
Theres enough crazy shit in video games, why do we need to add to it. In all honesty it does desensitise people and this isnt a good thing.
I think that if it's designed well, it will actually stop people being such tools about stuff like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenico View Post
I lol at the way developers interprete this taboo. Unkillable kids are FTW.
Seriously, if game supposes that you player will commit some massacre in some place, placing kids who refuse to die when anyone else do... WTF? What a design failure.

Though in any video games I hate to kill people who can't fight back (it pisses me off when it's an objective), or who are "just passing by", even if they maybe can, no matter children or not.

So, I have to agree with CLE. Maybe it sounds too simple to work, but infact it works.
When I and my friends were younger and were behaving in games artlessly, I noted that I can really match character (I mean, character of that man, not ingame hero) of my mate with his playstyle. Eventually I found out that I rarely (I mean, really rarely) can find a nice person among those who enjoy massacring people in video games for fun (for example, in fallout2 or such).
Besides, it is possible already to notice shift in people's mind caused by that TV policy and such. VG aren't exeption either.

It is common to think that gore in VG makes people cruel, but it's not that simple. Scenes of gore in general mean shit actually, but when player can really associate what's going on with RL (like killing civilians you was talking 5 minutes before), now that can be too much to leave no trace in one's mind, especially if it happens regularly, in different games.

I can hardly see any solution to resolve this problem of open-world games. You can't make town look realistically without adding children. You can't make that open-world game without making it possible to interact with townfolk in any manner available to your character. Good luck with avoiding both taboo-breaking and design failure aka "immortal kids".
They should label them as midgets and allow us to kill them. >_>

Seriously though, I don't meet people who will go on a mindless rampage even in a video game just for hell of it.
Especially if that game is realistic so it add weight to the act of murder.
I also hate killing defenseless people (that's why I wouldn't kill kids) since it's simply below me and it's no fun at all.
Also, banning stuff like that will only make us more bloodthirsty since I never had an urge so strong to twist a kids neck before they told me it's forbidden and that they don't allow me to do that. >_>

Also, all these restrictions are kinda dumb since they don't allow people to decide what's good and what's bad by themselves.
Some brainless sheep may have no problem with that, but I do since I see that as bitch-slap to my brain.
That kinda reminds me of anti-racism actually.
Instead of just trying to let go all that crap, they just brag and brag about it to the point where it seems fun to call some black guy a nigger or beat the crap out of that Asian kid from next building.
The point is, too much restrictions and bragging how some things are bad and immoral can(will) actually lead to counter-effect and will make us more violent and intolerant.
''Successful'' version of that is that people will turn into mindless sheep.

I really hope that they drop that stupid taboo (especially in games like Skyrim since it ruins them) and they let us decide for ourselves what's good and what's bad.
I believe that people can do that.
Those few that can't will not change for the better with or without that restriction.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #21
Melderv

Hi, guys. I checked a dictionary, and here is what I got.

censorship (n.) - 1. applied by power trippers that run the government, who can't control things in real life, so they resort to fucking with video games that depict real life instead; 2. applied by illogical people who think violence in video games is automatically followed by violence in real life.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #22
Lithary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melderv View Post

censorship (n.) - 1. applied by power trippers that run the government, who can't control things in real life, so they resort to fucking with video games that depict real life instead; 2. applied by illogical people who think violence in video games is automatically followed by violence in real life.
Ł0Ł
Epic comment is epic.

I always said that censorship is equal to shooting someone in a head while keeping your eyes closed and then you feel a bit better about it because you didn't directly see it.
It's plain stupid.

That's why I like PD forums and staff.
No censorship and mods don't go after you for every single damn act of rudeness towards other members (at least not to my knowledge).

I look toward the day when people will understand that life is not made from ponies that crap rainbows and happiness, but that you also have to eat a full and proper meal of shit every now and then.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #23
PuЪLiㄷEиəℳy#1

I've read that in an Ultimate Spiderman game, playing as Venom would involve you to leech life from civilians. Judging from the screenshots, it includes children.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #24
niBBit

You can kill baby's in Dead Space
Old 04-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #25
Amoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by niBBit View Post
You can kill baby's in Dead Space
BABY DEMONS YES.

It was fun that literally EVERYTHING in fallout could die except the children.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #26
ChildLikEmperor
Forum Staff

Awesome 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melderv View Post

Come report in when you are not 14 and have grown up a little. Your comments show have naive and possibly stupid you are

Old 04-22-2011, 01:28 AM   #27
Melderv

Quote:
Come report in when you are not 14 and have grown up a little. Your comments show have naive and possibly stupid you are
Oh my, how adults take everything so seriously.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #28
Lithary

Quote:
You mean that he said something wrong?
If so, enlighten us.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #29
Domenico
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithary View Post
You mean that he said something wrong?
If so, enlighten us.
So, you see nothing wrong there, huh?
Well, your avatar, being mostly black-and-white is pretty symbolizing then.

"The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments."
— Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 04-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #30
Lithary

Quote:
So, you see nothing wrong there, huh?
Well, your avatar, being mostly black-and-white is pretty symbolizing then.
Well, maybe I probably don't and that's why I sad that he enlightens me.
If I am mistaken about something, tell me (I know I'm not always right, only idiot thinks that).
Old 04-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #31
Black Isle

Quote:
I was like, there's a lot of crazy shit in video games, being able to kill children doesn't change much anyway.

I must admit it's pretty fucking creepy when you stab a kid, you hear the sound of meat being cut through but nothing happens to the kid. What kind of censor is this?

I don't believe censorship prevents a psycho from murdering. Or seeing kids die in a video game makes a sane person kill people.

Anyway, I think it'd be better to put no children at all in video games, rather than putting immortal ones.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #32
LiquidNitrogen

Literary Award 

sherry birkin laughs at you
Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #33
Khassar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoe View Post
It was fun that literally EVERYTHING in fallout could die except the children.
In Fallout and Fallout 2, anything and everything that has a hp bar could be killed, children included. Some brutal death animations were blocked for them (except lasers for example, they would still be chared down into a pile of ash), but they could be killed and yes, you were able to kill children in fallout.

Idk for Fallout 3, but I think that it was possible, since there's a scene in which runaway slave kid gets his head blown apart.

And war3, ofc. Just click A, target and BAM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #34
Domenico
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khassar View Post
In Fallout and Fallout 2, anything and everything that has a hp bar could be killed, children included. Some brutal death animations were blocked for them (except lasers for example, they would still be chared down into a pile of ash), but they could be killed and yes, you were able to kill children in fallout.

Idk for Fallout 3, but I think that it was possible, since there's a scene in which runaway slave kid gets his head blown apart.

And war3, ofc. Just click A, target and BAM.
Well, lasers didn't burn targets in F1, F2, they used to cut them. Though I'm not sure what animations were blocked for them, I used to play on gore level 3/4 since on 4th it was freaking hard to dig through corpses to loot them after a big fight. Not to be said that some animations didn't leave corpses, and it was a real pain to get items you need from the ground when you are overloaded.

In F3 you can't kill children yourself, scenes is another story. It looks utterly retarded tbh.

Well, what about War3... When this restriction/recommendation was released, in the first place?

— Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #35
Lithary

Quote:
Well, lasers didn't burn targets in F1, F2, they used to cut them. Though I'm not sure what animations were blocked for them, I used to play on gore level 3/4 since on 4th it was freaking hard to dig through corpses to loot them after a big fight. Not to be said that some animations didn't leave corpses, and it was a real pain to get items you need from the ground when you are overloaded.

In F3 you can't kill children yourself, scenes is another story. It looks utterly retarded tbh.

Well, what about War3... When this restriction/recommendation was released, in the first place?
Wait...
You can't kill kids, but they die anyway in cutscenes?
Talk about stupid and irritating game designs. >_>
Old 04-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #36
Dark Solitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithary View Post
I was surprised when I found out what sort of taboo this was.
Anyway, tell me your opinion on all this.
Should we be able to do that and why.

I personally think that it all depends what kind of game it is.
For example, I think that we should be able to kill children in Skyrim.
Why?
Well, that game is about civil war, dragons and is trying to be serious, realistic and believable as much as possible and wants to give us freedom of choices.
I can't remember that kids had any sort of god mode during war or any other situation like that.
Don't believe me?
Ask my grandfather to tell you a story of when he was 9 and had to run with his brothers and sisters while soldiers killed his both parents and 1 year old brother with sabers (bullets were expensive) just about dozen meters behind him.
Also, I find all this children killing taboo in video games somewhat retarded.
What, it's bad if you kill a kid and good if you kill that same kid when it grows up?
Wtf?
It's not like death asks you for your ID when it comes knocking at your door, might.
I think that stuff like that should be given as option for to a player and let the player decide if he wants to bash or pet their little heads.

About other games and children killing, they should also say goodbye to this stupid taboo.

Also, what is the reason behind all this?
Why did it become such a taboo?
First of all, @ OP: Thank you for making a thread worthy enough for me to post my 1000th post in.

Anyway, about the topic at hand. Yeah, I completely agree with you on this, children should just be as killable as adults are in video games. Also since were speaking of this topic, I would also like to point out how unrealistic the death scenes of most NPC's in video games are, they dont grovel as much as people really would and you cant see the fear in them as the shadow of death slowly casts a veil around them, well SIMS does a pretty entertaining job, how much the characters whimper and cry and make desperate pleas for help (like I give a rat's ass about their tormented pleadings), even futile, panicked attempts for a non-existent escape (I lock em inside a doorless prison, full of combustible items and a toaster, well I put the toaster in last, I like watching them starve first before I bring in the coup de grace') before they are ultimately consumed by death, sometimes they even pee or poop themselves because of the agonizing fear (I usually burn their asses down to make a beautiful sematary), though most other video games just makes them flinch give out a short cry of pain and boom, they're dead.

The game developers really need to make death scenes more realistic put a little more thought into them, it only comes to a person once so why not make it at the very least drawn out, at least then, people like me and OP could enjoy ourselves a little more while playing these hum-drum RPG's.

Good enough for you OP?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #37
Khassar

Quote:
Rockets and explosives would blow people apart into million pieces, plasma melted, and lasers + flamers burned them into ash. Other weapons also had special death animations, like removing a large amount of flesh off target's body, but you probably now this just like me. In the case of children, everything but lasers had muted special death animations. I played on MAXIMUM BLOOD tho, so maybe that's the trick.

Quote:
Weird indeed. Fallout 3 was dissapointing in more ways than one if you ask me.

Quote:
Hm, care to elaborate? Never heard of it myself.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #38
DLpnd

In Fallout 2, in the Den where there little children steal stuff from you when you walk past. I place all my items somewhere safe like the car boot, then I set Dynamite timer to maximum and walk past them long enough till they steal it, then I walk away.

I'm not trolling, I'm challenging you to think.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:35 AM   #39
Domenico
Forum Staff

Quote:
Rockets and explosives would blow people apart into million pieces, plasma melted, and lasers + flamers burned them into ash. Other weapons also had special death animations, like removing a large amount of flesh off target's body, but you probably now this just like me. In the case of children, everything but lasers had muted special death animations. I played on MAXIMUM BLOOD tho, so maybe that's the trick.
Well, I used to play on 4/4, but then I found pulse rifle... It freaking evaporates people, and it's a problem to, say, grab ammo from enemy when you are overloaded (you need to grab weapon first in this case, then unload it, then drop, but first you had to drop something in order to grab that freaking weapon... so yeah...). So I turned to 3/4. And, well, I must say that I remember pretty well, that non-automatic lasers used to cut ppl in two pieces; I was a fan of scorcher and I remember pretty well what kind of mess it was to loot large group of emeies, when you had to decide, where is the half of what body... Meh... I'd say, I had enough guro in games by the time I finished F2

Quote:
Hm, care to elaborate? Never heard of it myself.
I meant, what kind of taboo is in question? What countries support it and when was it implemented (if it is obligatory)? I mean, W3 is pretty old, maybe by that time there was no such restriction. Or maybe it was decided that violence in WC3 is too "schematic" to bother.

— Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 04-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #40
Kwanz4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuЪLiㄷEиəℳy#1 View Post
Wait, I used to play Fable. Iirc, I can't do that, even as I set my hero to attack them. I can kill normal village people but not children (and bards and traders). Can anyone confirm this?
In Fable, you can't kill children. Sometimes I wish you could, because a great deal of the time they're blocking my way when I'm trying to get out of a building... it really ticks me off.

My MKB and BOTs visual buffs were implemented...

Common English Grammatical Errors
  Entertainment Video Games