Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
Dota2Sniper
Member
 
Dota2Sniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 74
Dota2Sniper is offline

Default Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes


According to Dota 2 Updates via their Chinese Dota 2 beta tester sources:

DOTA 2 will be 3 GB in Size

Aside from revealing the game size of Dota 2, the source has said that Dota 2 Achievements are also already in-game.

Screenshot of Achivements on the Chinese Steam Landing page:


Don't have 3 GB? Delete League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth from your hard drive to make way for Dota 2.
  Reply With Quote
Last edited by Dota2Sniper; 08-06-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
Lord_Nat
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 104
Lord_Nat is offline
Default Re: Got 3 GB ready for the Dota 2 beta client?

3 GB?
HoN is only 654 MB and it has a ton of content.
I wonder if it is bloat like LoL has (over 7 GB).

Source is not know for being that bad for space wasting so it makes me think there might be more to DotA 2 then just core DotA.
Alien Swarm clocks in at just over 2 GB and has a ton of large levels, a fair chunk of effects, and a good set of weapons.
DotA 2 will have a huge mass of animations, spell effects, and the like to deal with but I am not sure it will be 3 GB worth.

This has me vary interested to see what extras there might be for us to see at Gamescom.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
Dif
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 275
Dif is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Huh, previous dota is <10MB. This will be epic!!! (x300)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:44 AM   #4
vtor67
Member
 
vtor67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 60
vtor67 is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dif View Post
Huh, previous dota is <10MB. This will be epic!!! (x300)
That's not a fair comparison... That ~8MB of the map uses 1 GB of WC3 resource files + certain custom things contained in the map.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #5
Xezko
Member
 
Xezko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,177
Blog Entries: 5
Xezko is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

lol, file size is the last thing i will care of.
i better want to know system requirements :c
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:49 AM   #6
DeliciousCaek
Member
 
DeliciousCaek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,111
Blog Entries: 1
DeliciousCaek is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Only 3GB? Nice, and what about system requeriments?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:07 AM   #7
JuBa34
Member
 
JuBa34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montpellier , France
Posts: 1,036
Blog Entries: 2
JuBa34 is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousCaek View Post
Only 3GB? Nice, and what about system requeriments?
source engine ... so if you cant run counter strike source at 100 fps fully (including 10 players on screen , with smoke and omg spray around) , dont even try dota 2 ... i think they gonna exploit to the maximum the source engine ... and ... low computer (kind of computer who run w3 perfectly at 64fps) cant run the game , or enjoy a "real game" (if 3 ppl cast spells same time , and you go down to 10 fps ... pointless) .

ps : in FAQ , icefrog said , system requirement more or less the same than dota w3 engine ... my ass , i want to see that , if he include pixel shader 2.0 , lot of ppl gonna stay on w3 engine , and btw poor country like china have crappy computer (in general , like other emergent country) , so ... that scare me to .
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #8
patrishosho
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,203
patrishosho is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

I'm surprised that none cared about the leaked achievements!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #9
CasioFX
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 563
CasioFX is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

maybe it has heaps of movies/cinematics.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:21 AM   #10
LightningZLaser
Member
 
LightningZLaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,439
LightningZLaser is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

i dont think game file sizes are anything to be concerned about nowadays, current comps have at least 400GB+ usually
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:25 AM   #11
snow.pika
Member
 
snow.pika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,789
snow.pika is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

How does 3GB compare to current games anyway? The games I have are so old school, I don't even know what's 3GB worth of a game .__.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:25 AM   #12
JuBa34
Member
 
JuBa34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montpellier , France
Posts: 1,036
Blog Entries: 2
JuBa34 is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZLaser View Post
i dont think game file sizes are anything to be concerned about nowadays, current comps have at least 400GB+ usually
go ask china and other "poor" country ... 80 % of the players and coffee have shitty computer 1.8 ghz with bad radeon 9800 who dont even support pixel shader 2.0 so ... valve take a risk ,a big risk .
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:27 AM   #13
picklefish
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
picklefish is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Source engine is incredibly scalable and valve is going out of their way to make sure a large range of computers can play Dota 2.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:34 AM   #14
Xezko
Member
 
Xezko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,177
Blog Entries: 5
Xezko is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

they said they'll have a wide range of graphic quality to fit several comp specs. the idea is, the more people can play, the more people can buy :B
having great graphics doesnt means you cant lower them to make it runs smoothly in your old comp. ^^,
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:35 AM   #15
JuBa34
Member
 
JuBa34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montpellier , France
Posts: 1,036
Blog Entries: 2
JuBa34 is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklefish View Post
Source engine is incredibly scalable and valve is going out of their way to make sure a large range of computers can play Dota 2.
you look sure about that , any info ? or "rumor" ? because valve hate their customers .
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:36 AM   #16
Tranquil
Member
 
Tranquil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 489
Tranquil is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuBa34 View Post
go ask china and other "poor" country ... 80 % of the players and coffee have shitty computer 1.8 ghz with bad radeon 9800 who dont even support pixel shader 2.0 so ... valve take a risk ,a big risk .
What is with you guys and poor China? Wtf... fuck 'em if they can't move on with the future. DotA 2 will get a bunch of new players. DotA isn't popular because of the lower system specs. Look how many people are ready to release gallons of semen inside steam servers when DotA 2 comes out. Valve isn't taking a risk and is not worried at all. Icefrog is enough of a reason. The game will be 120$ and require high end alienware just to fuck with China and will still own LoL and HoN.

Oh and P.S. Valve stated that the graphics could be tuned nicely to allow lower-end systems to play, while having the capability of very nice graphics.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.aRk View Post
Sigged.
no u
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #17
JuBa34
Member
 
JuBa34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montpellier , France
Posts: 1,036
Blog Entries: 2
JuBa34 is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

if the system requirement is lower than LOL , this is perfect . if you need a pixel shader 2.0 supported video card or more for play , its over .
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:43 AM   #18
Elements-
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Painted Land.
Posts: 5,945
Elements- is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil View Post
What is with you guys and poor China? Wtf... fuck 'em if they can't move on with the future. DotA 2 will get a bunch of new players. DotA isn't popular because of the lower system specs. Look how many people are ready to release gallons of semen inside steam servers when DotA 2 comes out. Valve isn't taking a risk and is not worried at all. Icefrog is enough of a reason. The game will be 120$ and require high end alienware just to fuck with China and will still own LoL and HoN.

Oh and P.S. Valve stated that the graphics could be tuned nicely to allow lower-end systems to play, while having the capability of very nice graphics.
Bullshit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:45 AM   #19
Lord_Nat
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 104
Lord_Nat is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuBa34 View Post
if the system requirement is lower than LOL , this is perfect . if you need a pixel shader 2.0 supported video card or more for play , its over .
most on board video cards have pixel shader 2.0 at this point.

Also most computers in china are not that bad, people play at Lan Shops and the computers there are up to snuff for most modern games.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:47 AM   #20
Tranquil
Member
 
Tranquil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 489
Tranquil is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherin<3 View Post
Bullshit.
Yea.. that's why they got so many competetive teams already? People forget that the reason why DotA 2 is so wanted and will be THE game to get is because it is AN EXACT COPY OF DOTA FRONTED BY THE EXACT SAME DEVELOPER THAT MANY WORSHIP. It has NOTHING to do with price or specs. Guinsoos DotA was free too and had same spec requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Nat View Post
most on board video cards have pixel shader 2.0 at this point.

Also most computers in china are not that bad, people play at Lan Shops and the computers there are up to snuff for most modern games.
Shhh.. of course JuBa34 actually visited China and isn't speaking out of his ass!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.aRk View Post
Sigged.
no u
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:50 AM   #21
Churrass
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,897
Churrass is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

lets make a dota 2 with minimum requirements worse than wc3 just because of poor china
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #22
sekhar4
Member
 
sekhar4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 775
sekhar4 is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

12 achievements only ????
wtf ...lol..that is either fake or epic fail on valve's side...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #23
Elements-
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Painted Land.
Posts: 5,945
Elements- is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil View Post
Yea.. that's why they got so many competetive teams already? People forget that the reason why DotA 2 is so wanted and will be THE game to get is because it is AN EXACT COPY OF DOTA FRONTED BY THE EXACT SAME DEVELOPER THAT MANY WORSHIP. It has NOTHING to do with price or specs. Guinsoos DotA was free too and had same spec requirements.
Icefrog won't let them make the Spec. omgh4ximba, IT WILL MAKE THE DOTA2 COMMUNITY NERF TO OBLIVION. Of course, I guess you have zomgcompspec. More than 50% of players of DotA have mediospec. It has to do with price and spec. Your point is bullsht.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #24
AfroLegends
Member
 
AfroLegends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 366
AfroLegends is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

I imagine the majority of the space will be taken up by the thousands of incredible, high-quality voice samples used in the game. This comes as no surprise. Looking forward to it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:54 AM   #25
Tranquil
Member
 
Tranquil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 489
Tranquil is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherin<3 View Post
Icefrog won't let them make the Spec. omgh4ximba, IT WILL MAKE THE DOTA2 COMMUNITY NERF TO OBLIVION. Of course, I guess you have zomgcompspec. More than 50% of players of DotA have mediospec. It has to do with price and spec. Your point is bullsht.
Wow.. that was a little hard to read. I have a pretty old computer that can handle all modern Valve games. You forget that there is something called SCALABILITY in graphics.

"It has to do with price and spec." - Yea I see your point. Diablo 3 will fail so hard because people who played Diablo and Diablo 2 had shitty PCs.

"More than 50% of players of DotA have mediospec"
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see which asshole you pulled that statistic from.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.aRk View Post
Sigged.
no u
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #26
JuBa34
Member
 
JuBa34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montpellier , France
Posts: 1,036
Blog Entries: 2
JuBa34 is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil View Post
Wow.. that was a little hard to read. I have a pretty old computer that can handle all modern Valve games. You forget that there is something called SCALABILITY in graphics.

"It has to do with price and spec." - Yea I see your point. Diablo 3 will fail so hard because people who played Diablo and Diablo 2 had shitty PCs.

"More than 50% of players of DotA have mediospec"
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see which asshole you pulled that statistic from.
x millions dota players in china , all have average medium computer ... you have your stats .
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #27
LightningZLaser
Member
 
LightningZLaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,439
LightningZLaser is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhar4 View Post
12 achievements only ????
wtf ...lol..that is either fake or epic fail on valve's side...
thats why its a beta
which is more important, game stability, balancing and design, or achievements?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:01 AM   #28
Elements-
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Painted Land.
Posts: 5,945
Elements- is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil View Post
Wow.. that was a little hard to read. I have a pretty old computer that can handle all modern Valve games. You forget that there is something called SCALABILITY in graphics.


"More than 50% of players of DotA have mediospec"
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see which asshole you pulled that statistic from.
It's obvious. DotA's community is made up of sht tier computers or probably 2 gb RAM, average vc.

So what I'm trying to say, if they make the spec req. of DotA 2. It will probably a flop. Or if they make the price to 60$+.

Your point is it has nothing to do with spec or price. And that is bullshit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:03 AM   #29
Tranquil
Member
 
Tranquil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 489
Tranquil is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuBa34 View Post
x millions dota players in china , all have average medium computer ... you have your stats .
Aaaaaand...

where did you get those stats?

All this speculation is only because we have nothing else to discuss about DotA 2. Can't wait till the tourny.

"Your point is it has nothing to do with spec or price."
Of course it is all about Icefrog and that DotA 2 will actually be competitive with high stakes, like in the tourney.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.aRk View Post
Sigged.
no u
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #30
The Godzbane
Member
 
The Godzbane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 934
The Godzbane is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuBa34 View Post
go ask china and other "poor" country ... 80 % of the players and coffee have shitty computer 1.8 ghz with bad radeon 9800 who dont even support pixel shader 2.0 so ... valve take a risk ,a big risk .
Shitty 1.8?
Please, until a year ago I played DotA on a 1.22GHz processor without any problems.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #31
Zansa
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 107
Zansa is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

I would be surprised if DotA 2 wasn't able to play on the same specs as WC3. Maybe a little higher, but not much. A huge part of DotA's appeal is how easy it is to play on anything from gaming desktops to laptops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil View Post
The game will be 120$ and require high end alienware just to fuck with China and will still own LoL and HoN.
High-end Alienware is worse than most computers you could buy at Best Buy for less than $1000. In fact, Alienware is just bad, period. Never buy anything with the Alienware logo. Ever.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #32
MeVe90
Member
 
MeVe90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 426
MeVe90 is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

source engine itself need space ( 1-2 gb an updated one )
+ every hero have 100 dialogues for a total of 10400 ( Source: gabe interview months ago )
+ the map + every heroes model etc

Not that the fact is only a map it doesnt need space..
__________________
...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #33
themanguydude
Member
 
themanguydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Still Finding
Posts: 870
themanguydude is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuBa34 View Post
x millions dota players in china , all have average medium computer ... you have your stats .
I'm sorry but are you sure? When's the last time you've been to China? Or have you ever even been there before?

Most lan shops in Beijing are very well capable of running medium scale graphics for games like Call of Duty.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #34
hideinlight
Member
 
hideinlight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,807
hideinlight is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

High quality custom models in HoN with hd materials/textures is about 20Meg big.

100 * 20 = 2000.

So 2Gig already for the characters excluding alts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #35
themanguydude
Member
 
themanguydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Still Finding
Posts: 870
themanguydude is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

I'm pretty sure the Source engine is much more efficient than the one used in Hon, so don't be suprise if the size for HQ models are much smaller
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #36
NothingYet
Member
 
NothingYet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: India / Dubai
Posts: 158
NothingYet is offline
Cool Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Aren't they using the source engine at a 60 degree view like alien swarm?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #37
fireblaze762
Member
 
fireblaze762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,503
fireblaze762 is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Just for the record, i highly doubt valve are taking a risk by making it 3gb in size.

The chinese are advancing pretty fast, so their computers are decent.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #38
themanguydude
Member
 
themanguydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Still Finding
Posts: 870
themanguydude is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran-Dom View Post
Aren't they using the source engine at a 60 degree view like alien swarm?
According to this, it doesn't seem so(although the pictures are quite blurry but you can definitely see that it's a top-down view RTS-like style)

http://www.playdota.com/forums/50700...ed-screenshot/
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #39
Ritmas
Member
 
Ritmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 534
Ritmas is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherin<3 View Post
Icefrog won't let them make the Spec. omgh4ximba, IT WILL MAKE THE DOTA2 COMMUNITY NERF TO OBLIVION. Of course, I guess you have zomgcompspec. More than 50% of players of DotA have mediospec. It has to do with price and spec. Your point is bullsht.
So what? What about new players or old players who quitted dota just because of shitty graphics?

The poor China pros will still play it because of the sponsors. And none will give a damn about the noobs, because they will probably won't even pruchase the DotA2
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #40
hideinlight
Member
 
hideinlight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,807
hideinlight is offline
Default Re: Dota 2 File Size: 3 Gigabytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanguydude View Post
I'm pretty sure the Source engine is much more efficient than the one used in Hon, so don't be suprise if the size for HQ models are much smaller
Not really, those models normally come from other games and are relatively the same size when cooked. In fact some of them are smaller because HoN doesn't use complicated materials, it still uses textures.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
  Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat


Forum Jump

Thread Tools