Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
Mooga1337

Default How to Counter Invoker

How do you counter Invoker? Once I receive a legitimate response that the majority finds agreeable I'll edit it into the OP.

I'm not looking for a hero counter so much as a strategy counter, because as of lately I've been enjoying -cm. And if there's anything to know about -cm, it's that Invoker counters such as Anti-Mage and Lucifer are almost guaranteed to get banned immediately. I heard that Silencer can counter Invoker, but I have to disagree with that to at least a certain degree. Simply because Invoker can go an Exort DPS build and still rape with auto attack despite being silenced.

The thing about Invoker is that unlike other heroes, he can go invisible, chain disable (in an AoE if he chooses to), and deal massive damage (once again, in an AoE if he chooses to) while maintaining strong base attributes the whole time. I understand that he requires a lot of skill and knowledge to use to his fullest extent (not to mention an above average amount of farm in terms of gold and EXP), but he seems overpowered when that certain someone gets to play as him.

In other words, I'm tired of having to permaban Invoker in the event that someone on the enemy team might know how to play him.

EDIT: So it seems that the most agreeable counters to Invoker are:

LANING - Batrider or SD (Shadow Demon) during laning. Batrider can constantly harass him if supplied with enough mana to keep him away from the farm. SD can also constantly harass Invoker while receiving minimal harassment back for the most part, should Invoker go in for the kill disable him and run, or if you did a good job harassing this might be an oppurtunity for a kill. Both these heroes are well capable of cutting off (or at the very least minimalizing) Invoker's farm early game, therefore stabilizing his momentum mid game.

GANKING - You need a strong silence such as Puck or NA (Nerubian Assassin) paired with a good disabler such as SS (Shadow Shaman) or Lion. You will need to use smokes for if Invoker has any idea that you are coming to gank him it won't be easy to keep him still. An extremely viable option if given the oppurtunity to pick would also be Night Stalker due to the fact that he has both a built in slow (and ministun!) and silence, also during the night his speed and mobility is unmatched, making him the ultimate ganker for Invoker. Another option is Bloodseeker, for similar reasons as Night Stalker, but not quite as reliable as a decent Night Stalker.

TEAMFIGHTING - Pugna and Silencer seem to be the most agreeable for countering teamfights with an enemy Invoker. Pugna's Nether Ward is a strong counter to Invoker because not only will his mana disappear like nothing, but his health will go along with it. Forcing him to resort to only a spell or two and auto attacks, or he will receive a strong penalty. Silencer, while weak at keeping him from auto attacking and carrying can easily disable him from chain disabling and mass raping an entire team.

CARRYING - Drow Ranger and OD (Obsidian Destroyer) fit the job for outcarrying Invoker. Drow Ranger has a strong silence which already gives her a strong advantage against Invoker while her firepower is nearly unmatched, forcing Invoker to either outrun her or to simply auto attack her back, which will only work for him early and possibly parts of mid game depending on his momentum. OD is paired with a strong disable which cripples Invoker's mana pool while boosting OD in every aspect, an orb effect that potentially allows him to out damage Invoker with auto attacks, and an ultimate which could easily burn most of Invoker's mana pool if not kill him given the momentum.

OVERALL - Batrider or SD to outlane him, Puck/NA and SS/Lion to gank him (Night Stalker and Bloodseeker are also very powerful anti Invoker gankers), Pugna or Silencer to nullify his team advantages during teamfights, and Drow Ranger or OD to out carry Invoker.

Thank you everybody for taking the time to read this and if you chose to, took the time to supply me with feedback. Feel free to continue posting your opinions, prior knowledge that fits the topic that you don't already see, or anything that you would disagree with that I edited into the OP as factual information.
Last edited by Mooga1337; 10-03-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
RoflCat

Default Re: How to Counter Invoker

Kill him early when he's still using mainly 2 elements, and as such any 3rd-element spells of his would suffer in term of power, would be an option.

The invis has a massive 60s CD and cost a whopping 200 mana and slow him down at early level, so just pack a dust if you're ganking him when he has that ready.

Despite his single target attack power with Exort build, he's won't be doing as much damage as a auto-attacking powerhouse like Drow, and a silence on him would certainly ruin his chance of disabling her, and her Frost Arrow (assuming you go that route) is stronger than a maxed bonus from his Wex so he can't just walk away easily either.

So I'd say Drow as a counter to him, but only mid-game onward, you'll need something else to deal with him early.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
One.More.Game.

I say Pugna
Old 10-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
iLotus018

Pugna, Puck, and Obsidian in a way with his ulti burning away most his mana...
Old 10-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Mooga1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflCat View Post
Kill him early when he's still using mainly 2 elements, and as such any 3rd-element spells of his would suffer in term of power, would be an option.

The invis has a massive 60s CD and cost a whopping 200 mana and slow him down at early level, so just pack a dust if you're ganking him when he has that ready.

Despite his single target attack power with Exort build, he's won't be doing as much damage as a auto-attacking powerhouse like Drow, and a silence on him would certainly ruin his chance of disabling her, and her Frost Arrow (assuming you go that route) is stronger than a maxed bonus from his Wex so he can't just walk away easily either.

So I'd say Drow as a counter to him, but only mid-game onward, you'll need something else to deal with him early.
Okay, so you say Drow can counter him as a carry. But that still doesn't give much of an option for early game. Unless we get a lot of stuns, perhaps a Lion for a Mana Drain, and pack a dust. And if his team simply calls MIA's? Then your team's gankers run around like morons waiting for Invoker to show himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One.More.Game. View Post
I say Pugna
Please give reasons why Pugna would be a solid counter rather than just stating the hero itself. Personally I find Pugna too squishy and too weak when disabled to be viable against Invoker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLotus018 View Post
Pugna, Puck, and Obsidian in a way with his ulti burning away most his mana...
Again, please state why. You only did this with OD, and I don't see an OD being able to out carry an Invoker. Puck I suppose would be a good initiator against him, maybe for the early ganks which someone above stated is necessary to defeat an Invoker.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
LiquidNitrogen

Steam: liquidnitrogen1
Literary Award 

Slark, because he eats invoker.

Drow also can. Both can beat him up at all stages of the game.

Or you can just play the hero, and sustain a 100% win ratio if hes really so hard to beat as you say.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
Endlich

Pugna obviously because Invokers spells are really expensive mana-wise and Netherward punishes him hard for casting them.

Also, I like Silencer as a Counter, as he prevents him from mass-casting in teamfights.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
doomsheep

gank him and you'll be fine.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
Mooga1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidNitrogen View Post
Slark, because he eats invoker.

Drow also can. Both can beat him up at all stages of the game.

Or you can just play the hero, and sustain a 100% win ratio if hes really so hard to beat as you say.
I might try the Slark thing, and yeah somebody already stated Drow, but that would only work for mid game and up. Assuming that the Invoker wasn't able to farm most his early game.

And we do pick him when we can (and so far have never lost with an Invoker on our team o.o), but a lot of the time we're second pick or they might pick Lucy or AM before we can get Invoker. And as I said earlier, Lucy and AM do rape Invoker, but they're almost always unavailable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlich View Post
Pugna obviously because Invokers spells are really expensive mana-wise and Netherward punishes him hard for casting them.

Also, I like Silencer as a Counter, as he prevents him from mass-casting in teamfights.
But Pugna isn't going to be able to start off with at least a level 3 Nether Ward, which means he either has to sacrifice his nuke or disable skill points, or somehow level up faster than Invoker. Who is by the way most of the time solo mid. I'm going to try Pugna the next time an Invoker pops up on the enemy team though.

As I said earlier, Silencer can prevent the mass chain disables, but that's only part of the problem. Seeing as how Invoker's base stats are awesome as well as his spells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsheep View Post
gank him and you'll be fine.
Although obvious trolling...

You can't necessarily always do that, seeing as how any decent enemy team will call MIA's on your team's gankers, not to mention that Invoker can go invisible. And I have yet to meet an Invoker who doesn't get at least one level of Quas for Ghost Walk.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #10
Pondrac

I don't say this sentence too often, but now is a coorect situation
"Go watch some pro replays"
How do they solve their problem with Invoker?
Umm, they ban him?
Exactly

But it seems you knew that allready :<
Old 10-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #11
LiquidNitrogen

Steam: liquidnitrogen1
Literary Award 

Pugna isn't actually that great of a solo against Invoker. It can go both ways all game.

Silencer is actually really strong against invoker. I suppose you also think that ensnare and silence and manaburn aren't good ways of dealing with Magina because 'he has really good dps as well'.

You need a hero who beats invoker at all stages. Slark and Drow both do this (Drow can match invoker in laning ability, the lane is heavily due to player skill).

And ganks in general just fuck invoker up. Momentum. Its like trying to counter Omniknight. There are very few direct counters, you just need to outplay and the hero becomes almost useless. On the other hand when the team with that hero is doing really well it seems like the imbaest piece of shit ever implemented.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #12
iLotus018

Ok...
Pugna: Nether ward for his spells, he tries with dps build, dec. him, there. Just try not to get hit with a tornado+emp combo; you should be fine.

Puck: Can initiate well, Waning Rift to silence him from casting spells, Phase shift to make him waste some spells, and dream coil is a always a nice addition to the team.

Obsidian: With a rushed bkb or a guinsoo (shouldn't be that hard), he can pretty much rape anything, since most Invokers try to rush Aghanims anyway and not BKB. And he can also make a team fight 4v5..astral the damn Invoker. His ulti just cripples everything, the max enemy heroes can cast is 1-2 spells.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:17 AM   #13
God_ii

it is very hard to counter a good invoker. it's hard to gank him because that mofo sets up icewall, emps, tornadoes, goes invisible, or disarms the gankers. the best way is probably to get someone with good mobility and silence/sheep/very long stun. depending on his build, people with truesight such as slardar will do heavy damage to his low armor. in teambattles, people need to spread out so they dont all get hit by emp, tornado, deafening, and meteor.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #14
Pwntlolz

banning is your friend
but if you really have to, silencer
why? He can't cast all of his spells as long or any as long as Silencer doesn't get picked off
I'd say remove the stun from shackles and shes fine.

"I ain't no scientician but I don't remember being no monkey."
"Family reunion tomorrow, better buy some condoms."
-Redneck Randal
Old 10-02-2011, 02:46 AM   #15
AfroLegends

Are we talking in lane or in general?

Batrider, for the most part, stomps on Invoker in lane (as he does with most heroes). You might find yourself struggling a bit with exort vokers who invoke any combination of ice wall / cold snap / forge spirits, but quas wex doesn't do so hot against Bat. Quas wex is the most popular build in captain's mode. In teamfights, Bat can blink onto voker and lasso him for a quick kill/disable.

Shadow demon is a no brainer here. He's the king of winning lanes. Invoker can go even with him in lane with quas wex, but SD sets up ganks so easily that he's always a threat.
In teamfights, disrupt the enemy carry or Invoker, soul catcher Invoker, and let it rip.

OD and AA both do great against Invoker in lane. OD shrugs off Invoker's EMP as if it was nothing.

Pugna does *awesome* against Invoker in team fights. Stay back, lay down your ward, and focus on Invoker with all your spells. Invoker melts. In lane, he might struggle a bit, and will probably lose or go even with him. Still a fantastic hero to pick against Invoker.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #16
Eternally

Invoker has one main problem, he is fragile. Even with his new stat gains, he still doesn't have many strong defensive spells. His big advantage is massive AoE damage he can drop.

So the first way to beat him is get some heavy disables (Lion, Rhasta, Doom) or people who can initiate on him (clock, ES, Enigma) and then disable him. If you can create a fight before he can get off a good tornado, you will have a major advantage.

Second way to beat him is to eliminate his AoE damage. This comes from 3 things
1) Pipe, undeniably massive against invoker
2) Force Staff, save yourself and allies that get caught in Tornado+EMP
3) Spreading out

So basically make sure you have a strong initiator and pipe, and you can beat an invoker. Or you can always go Pugna with IMBA nether ward.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:22 AM   #17
Royal_Naga

OD outcarry invoker and also have strong laning
Lich is a pretty strong pick and is in the same level of laning power
Rubick is like a natural counter to invoker I guess
Batrider if he can stack more than 3 napalm at lvl 3, then Invoker his dead.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:25 AM   #18
Redeemed A.I.

In case he maxes exort,that's easy ,he is paper even an sf can win him.
In case he goes quas/wex,you need summoner heroes like enigma (if you can risk it),syllabear etc.He can't really hurt your summons with tornado/emp.

Late game just fill your team with bkb's.In case he is a decent Invoker,he will use alacrity on his carry-ies and destroy your team this way.I've won countless lost games by giving alacrity to riki,slark and snipers and in case he gets dragonknight to alacrity and level 11+ he will be splashing your entire team to smitheries.

Hope I helped.

Learn how to throw the best (humanly possible) chaos meteors here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLUSTRIKE View Post
Knowledge is knowing that tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:25 AM   #19
Star_Saber
Banned

Gank him before level 7 and youll be fine
Old 10-02-2011, 03:29 AM   #20
SugaSutA

Batrider>All.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:33 AM   #21
qoou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga1337 View Post
Please give reasons why Pugna would be a solid counter rather than just stating the hero itself. Personally I find Pugna too squishy and too weak when disabled to be viable against Invoker.
Why would Pugna get that close to the frontline when there's stuns still up? Or if he does, how would killing Pugna stop him from countering Invoker?

Quote:
But Pugna isn't going to be able to start off with at least a level 3 Nether Ward, which means he either has to sacrifice his nuke or disable skill points, or somehow level up faster than Invoker. Who is by the way most of the time solo mid. I'm going to try Pugna the next time an Invoker pops up on the enemy team though.
Why would Pugna be going against a skilled Invoker that early on?

And it's extremely common for Pugna to only get 1 level of decrepify before maxing ward.

I surrender the internet to you. Farewell all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleSoul78 View Post
Bai for AX Batlefuri it make you diil mor DEIMIDJ wit spin ent wen u hev mor DEIMIDJ u nid to bai laifstiil for mor HELT POinT. en nol u lifstiil wit mor sple6 DEIMIDJ
Old 10-02-2011, 03:44 AM   #22
Silly_Putty

He seems to have been forgotten, but NA still gobbles up squishy int heroes np.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:49 AM   #23
SugaSutA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Putty View Post
He seems to have been forgotten, but NA still gobbles up squishy int heroes np.
Normally if I play invoker, I go quas+wex,

Thus I will have a stun, a disable, and a mp draining skill.
Next, you aren't as fast as me, you're stun got nerfed, your manaburn costs insane amounts of mana, and I will destroy you with 1 sentry ward. NA doesn't work against a good invoker.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:19 AM   #24
EKSCKALEEBUUUUR

You try to counter him, he will counter you again. All you can do is outplay him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoou View Post
Sven looks scary. Tiny looks cute.
What you looking at?
Don't click that

BOOOOOHAAAAAAHHH!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:14 AM   #25
Pr4nk5t3r

I play invoker a lot, as in about 50% of my dota in a week is voker, and bat does not outlane voker too much, atleast, not as much as bat is supposed to outlane a hero, and that is a win for your team. The thing is, with a q-w build, invoker might not win the lane, but he sure as hell will not lose it. The only way to get the upper hand on him is to execute a few smoke ganks before he hits ~lvl 10, because after that emp+tornado already starts crippling your mana-dependant casters, and if he gets an agha between lvls 12-15, he can pretty much rape. The best thing you can do is deny him xp and farm and delay his agha by constant ganking, and try to get your carry enough farm to shrug off invoker's spells by the time he finally gets his agha. Also, tank-carries like bala work wonders, and finally, one proper push with an aegis carrier can finish the game off
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaMovesPro View Post
If Rizzrak wants to tank because he think he's a tank, don't let him tank for he's not a real tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaSutA View Post
10000++ hours in DotA 1.
Bring it on scrub on scrub scrubbing the scrubs out of the scrubs of the scrubs.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:45 AM   #26
gaibo1

Ban him ASAP. If they manage to pick him, hope none of them are good Invoker players.

Try to pick heroes that can rape his manapool. Pugna's Nether Ward fucks him up, as his spells cost pretty much. Harass the shit out of him and try ganking him as much as possible in early-mid game.
Also try to get heroes like OD, Eredar, Bat or Silencer.
If OD gets Guinsoo's/Orchid fast enough, with Arcane Orb, Invoker should be easy to kill. Eredar's Distruption rapes him. Bat with some Napalm stacks and Lasso, combined with Firefly, Invoker is dead meat. Silencer's Last Word also fucks his combo up, but don't let him die in teamfights so early.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:59 AM   #27
SugaSutA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GogetaSSJ400 View Post
I play invoker a lot, as in about 50% of my dota in a week is voker, and bat does not outlane voker too much, atleast, not as much as bat is supposed to outlane a hero, and that is a win for your team. The thing is, with a q-w build, invoker might not win the lane, but he sure as hell will not lose it. The only way to get the upper hand on him is to execute a few smoke ganks before he hits ~lvl 10, because after that emp+tornado already starts crippling your mana-dependant casters, and if he gets an agha between lvls 12-15, he can pretty much rape. The best thing you can do is deny him xp and farm and delay his agha by constant ganking, and try to get your carry enough farm to shrug off invoker's spells by the time he finally gets his agha. Also, tank-carries like bala work wonders, and finally, one proper push with an aegis carrier can finish the game off
True, but his Q-W combos are too effective, until a carry destroys him later into the game. If I was using something like Ant-mage or Spectre, or my personal favorite against him, lycan; once I hit late, he's screwed.

-edit-
I just thought of another guy, KOTL.
But KOTL sucks in many ways I can state, so I don't advise using him at all.

But since I believe OP is asking for early-game, the only good thing I can think of is using bat-rider if it's 1v1. If your allies don't gank/can't, other than bat I really can't think of anything else against a good invoker.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #28
drgaliza

Guide Writing Award 

Here are my thoughts:
  • honestly a good invoker player cant be countered by doom, silencer, and bloodseeker unless they have blink dagger.. because a wise invoker knows how to position himself in battle.
  • in -cm mode, trap your opponent into picking invoker. then counter the pick by using either one of these heroes if not atleast 2 of them:
    1) batrider with dagger
    2) clockwerk (battery assault before initiate, proper hook, cog, then focus fire in battle)
    3) storm spirit (ball lightning into vortex then focus fire or ball lightning then silence with orchids).. im an invoker player myself but there is nothing more annoying than a storm spirit jumping in front of you and silenced you and be focused fired. well good luck though if they have the best teamplay and skills
    4) any other hero with blink dagger orchids. as long as dagger is a core and orchids fits well to the hero. qop with orchids if it suites your lineup but its a mediocre item for qop. tinker-dagger-guinsoo-rearm is good too..
    5)pugna can do well but only if it suites your lineup
    6)doombringer, silencer, bloodseeker.. meh just pick them if you think they will be useful in the lineup but I think there are other more useful heroes in the pool.
    7)dagger: puck, lion, disruptor(thrall), earthshaker, enigma, tidehunter to setup and focus fire. although as i said before a good invoker just stays so far behind and knows when to enter unless caught outposition that is why imo stormspirit and clockwork is the best candidates to disable him fast. use uphill wards to locate him though.
    8.OH!! and rikimaru really f*cked his gameplay.. just saying but rikimaru aint popular in -cm modes nowadays but he is really a beast against invoker
  • just ban him straight away if your opponent has the 1st pick and you know they are capable of using him.
  • early ganks. atleast 2-3 will delay his core items and thereby his efficiency overall.
  • outlane him if you can. eradar, batrider, tinker, lich, windrunner.. though it just comes down to the skills of the player. if you cant kill him just outfarm him and focus more on denies. Deny him atleast 10-15 creeps in the 1st 5-8 mins is big delaying his core items and out leveled.
  • the best way to counter a really annoying tornado emp combo is: 1 mekansm and 2 arcane boots in your team... 1 arcane boot is ok but sometimes insufficient. arcane solves mana issues and meka solves the counter push damage he has done to your creeps. just know the timing before the tornado hit the creeps and heal them so your creeps wont die easily and thereby you can push more effectively. atleast in early levels he will be a bit not annoying. know what their invoker build is using, coz if he is not maxing wex then theres no point doing this.
  • wex invoker with phase boots is just so fast thus dont forget to put disablers in your lineup. 2 disables atleast, make that 3 ^_^.
  • dont clamp together spread out
  • pipes aura would help in late game.
  • diffusal blades on long range heroes 550-600 range do wonders.. just ff him and burn his mana but dont count on it.. hahaha
  • you can nuke him down fast in early game if you can position yourself against him that is.. tinker, venge, potm, lion, lina etc..
  • chen or enchantress fucks her counterpush (tornado emp spam etc) with their heals and tanky creeps (pick 1) plus they are good at smoke ganks.
  • pick carries with pushing abilities: syllabear as your carry (with radiance). Healing and pushing heroes are good to finish them early. Syllabear, lycan are late game carry that has a pushing potential. Push early towers and earn gold for syllabear radiance or bkb if you choose lycan as your carry. you have an early game pushing strategy and incase you messed up, lycan or syllabear as your carry will be your plan B. Broodmother spiderlings are food to tornado thus i wont count him here.
  • if you have a good initiator but low disbling time you need atleast some burst damage to take him down quickly like lion or if not atleast your team can chain disable him and focus fire him.
  • you must know how to pick and ban heroes to have an edge in the game. If you want them to pick invoker let them and counter afterwards. Prepare picks that goes well against invoker and goes well in your ideal lineup and strategy. Think before hand and know other alternatives to that heroes incase they are banned. Know what to expect in the pick and ban phase and you will be good. Go with the flow of the pick and ban and think outside the box. Know your teammates capabilities too, if they can use that hero well. Be prepared. Think 10 moves ahead.

Dr.Galiza
Last edited by drgaliza; 10-02-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #29
doomsheep

i was hoping everyone would have seconded my line and this thread would be over.

invoker can do atleast 4 roles based on skillbuild alone. sure, counter him with rubick and shadowdemon.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #30
Fwizz

Batrider can really hurt Invoker early.

Also pugna and silencer can hurt em too.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #31
verybad

so when did everyone start going qw invoker? i pretty much stopped doing that build after magic stick/soul ring/arcane boots were introduced and everyone started shitting out mana lyke np.

eq build shits on am, sile, od, pugna & all, so those aren't really all that scary to invo. then again, mid camping gankers pretty much shit on eq invoker.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #32
jsrnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugasuta View Post

Next, you aren't as fast as me, you're stun got nerfed, your manaburn costs insane amounts of mana, and I will destroy you with 1 sentry ward. NA doesn't work against a good invoker.
Lol. The only thing you will see a small bug exploding in front of you. In the following 2 seconds you'll be dead.

NA steamrolls int heroes.

OT: Any hero with a silence. *cough*Doom*cough* Pugna. Initiating gankers like Clock, Storm, Batrider etc. Just pick him off early or silence him.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #33
Mooga1337

Thank you everybody for submitting your own feedback! I have edited the OP and put in the most seemingly agreeable counters to Invoker. Feel free to continue posting if you don't see something already that you would like to share or if you feel that something that has been said is false or wouldn't work.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #34
God_ii

Quote:
Thank you everybody for submitting your own feedback! I have edited the OP and put in the most seemingly agreeable counters to Invoker. Feel free to continue posting if you don't see something already that you would like to share or if you feel that something that has been said is false or wouldn't work.
problem with ur overall countering is that in teamfights qw invoker will completely annihilate almost every "counter" u listed unless invoker is horribly out of position.

pugna? dont care about 500 dmg, ur entire team has no mana.
batrider? try to lasso? i got a ice wall + u have no mana
sd? still no mana.
silencer? tornado will be cast outside of aura range, then emp inside aura.
lion and ss? sure if u can stun him, but a good invoker will keep his distance and still burn all ur mana.

only ones who do well are od, na, and maybe drow, but they are so soft that they have to be careful when they lose a good chunk of their health from emp tornado.

overall: u cant counter a good invoker. if u ever face one, pray like mad that he either sux or his teammates can be fed off of.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #35
Silly_Putty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugasuta View Post

Good thing NA has urna swarm. No stun, disable, or emp for you. Don't need to be faster when you can't see him coming (and NA in vendetta is still pretty fast). His nerfed stun and manaburn will still kill you. If you have a sentry ward planted and quick reflexes you're fine, but dont' pretend you have sentry wards on your position 24/7.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #36
Mooga1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by God_ii View Post
problem with ur overall countering is that in teamfights qw invoker will completely annihilate almost every "counter" u listed unless invoker is horribly out of position.

pugna? dont care about 500 dmg, ur entire team has no mana.
batrider? try to lasso? i got a ice wall + u have no mana
sd? still no mana.
silencer? tornado will be cast outside of aura range, then emp inside aura.
lion and ss? sure if u can stun him, but a good invoker will keep his distance and still burn all ur mana.

only ones who do well are od, na, and maybe drow, but they are so soft that they have to be careful when they lose a good chunk of their health from emp tornado.

overall: u cant counter a good invoker. if u ever face one, pray like mad that he either sux or his teammates can be fed off of.
Well you see, that's why we ALWAYS ban him or first pick him. He's simply too good to pass up. Know what? Is it possible that Invoker might be legitimately overpowered? I'm not QQ'ing, but it's really beginning to seem that way.

Quote:
Good thing NA has urna swarm. No stun, disable, or emp for you. Don't need to be faster when you can't see him coming (and NA in vendetta is still pretty fast). His nerfed stun and manaburn will still kill you. If you have a sentry ward planted and quick reflexes you're fine, but dont' pretend you have sentry wards on your position 24/7.
Keep in mind that Urna Swarm requires good positioning and luck. I say luck because if a decent Invoker sees that beetle sprinting his way there's no way in hell he is actually going to let it hit him.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #37
Silly_Putty

Quote:
Keep in mind that Urna Swarm requires good positioning and luck. I say luck because if a decent Invoker sees that beetle sprinting his way there's no way in hell he is actually going to let it hit him.
Good positioning and micro, yes. Luck, not really. Urna swarm moves quickly, by the time it comes into vision you should be pulling off your Vendetta+impale+burn combo. Impale will hold him long enough for the bug to get close enough to silence.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #38
God_ii

Quote:
Good positioning and micro, yes. Luck, not really. Urna swarm moves quickly, by the time it comes into vision you should be pulling off your Vendetta+impale+burn combo. Impale will hold him long enough for the bug to get close enough to silence.
but invoker isnt particularly squishy if he gets quas and most of the time na should not be able to one hit invoker like that (notice i say "most" because obviously if na is much higher level or invoker is low he will kill him."). he also doesnt have a whole lot of int either unless hes going exort.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #39
Phantom_IV

^ Also, a silenced voker can still pop Phase and run at 450 ms.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #40
JustDarKy

Steam: darkymon145

Doom and Balanar are good against him. For obvious reasons. Balanar can also gank him into oblivion.(Well, he can gank pretty much anyone into oblivion.)