Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
abakus

Default Casual Sven Guide

Warrior of a Heretic Order

Current Version (6.74c) Update

Disclaimer

The main body of this guide were written for DotA v6.72f. Since then there has been some major buff on Sven's skillset. This section will cover some strategy changes.

Balance Changes

[+] Great Cleave increased from 20/30/40/50% to 30/40/50/60%.
[+] God's Strength is no longer purgeable.
[+] God's Strength damage buff increased from 100/125/150% to 100/140/180%.
[+] Warcry duration increased from 6 to 8 seconds.
[+] Warcry cast time removed.

It is quite obvious that IceFrog's intention is to make Sven a better damage dealer during team fights, hence the unpurgable and damage-enhanced God's Strength, and larger cleave damage. Even better, Warcry has been buffed to actually become a viable early skill, no cast animation, 8 seconds duration.

New Items

Tranquil boots is very good on early-game roaming Sven. Get this with a Soul ring and you solve all your health and mana problems, with a nice plus of superior movement speed and armor. Highly suggested if you play ganker Sven.

Heaven's Halberd, the 25% evasion plus disarm is good for Carry-style Sven.

(Update) Alt-Tab Mini Guide

Strategy and Role
Since the recent update, there has been a subtle shift in Sven's role. Since his cleave and God's strength has been significantly enhanced, he is now a reliable damage dealer in team fights.

Thus, IMO Sven should now be played with more focus on his carrying potential: get the quelling blade, farm up Battlefury and power treads in the ~18 min range and proceed directly to BKB. If you have better initiator in your team, it is suggested to not initiate with storm bolt during team clashes, but save it for follow-up stuns on enemy caster/ranged dpsers who usually stand at the back of line. Activate God's Strength, Warcry, and BKB, in that order, stun and then destroy the entire enemy team.

Justification of BattleFury core: BFury plus your intrinsic cleave gives you 95% cleave damage, which is NOT REDUCED BY ARMOR VALUE. Which means you do more damage to the cleaved target than your main one. BFury also provides all the health regen if you go jungling and all the mana regen for your stun and warcry. It speeds up your farming (as a carry you'll need farming) by 100%.

If you disagree and think Sven still better fits the ganker role, please skip this section and move on to the older verion.

Skill

Starting Items

Core Items

EndGame Items

Alt-Tab Mini Guide

Skill

Start Items

Core Items

EndGame Items

Sven's Story

Sven's father is a human paladine and his mother an elf priestress. Sven is born a knight from his father, but ostracized since birth because of the heretic faith of his mother.

Introduction
Sven is a melee strength hero with good ganking capability early on and outstanding farming skills at mid game. He can also semi-carry at late game if farmed up.

Pros:
[+] One of the best non-ulti ranged AOE stuns.
[+] Good farming skills, good attack animation too.
[+] Good DPS without too much items.

Cons:
[-] Mana problems.
[-] His Ulti is countered by purge.
[-] Mediocre stats gain, below average movement speed.

Stats at level 25
Base damage 118-120+20

Str 87+20
Agi 69+20
Int 45+20

Armor 9+2.8

Life 2183
Mana 845

Move Speed 295
Range 128 (melee)
BAT 1.7
Attack Animation 0.4/0.3

Link to the Sven's Hero page

Skills

Storm Bolt

A ranged AOE stun that auto-tracks the target. Gives 325 magical damage and 2 second stun at level 4, with a 600 casting range.

Your bread and butter skill, this is what makes Sven a viable pick in competitive games. Lets take a quick look at other heroes' non-ulti ranged stuns:

Vengeful spirit's
Magic Missile is single targeted, deals the same 325 damge but only stuns for 1.75 second, and only 500 range.
Leoric's
Hellfire Blast is single targeted, deals 300 damage, stuns 2 second, slows 2 second and 525 range.
Nessaj's
Chaos Bolt is single targeted, deals 188 damge on average, stuns 2.5 sec on average and 500 range.
Clearly Sven's stun has a good combination of damage and range, the 2 second duration is on-par with others but most important of all Storm Bolt is an AOE effect!

Note:
Althought it looks like an area based effect, the Storm Bolt is actually target-based, so once it is cast it will track the central target even if he/she Blink or Juke. However it can still be dodged by model replacement based skills (Manta for instance).

Skill Build

Level 1 - Storm Bolt
Level 2 - Stats
Level 3 - Storm Bolt
Level 4 - Warcry / Stats
Level 5 - Storm Bolt
Level 6 - God's Strength
Level 7 - Storm Bolt
Level 8 - Stats
Level 9 - Stats
Level 10 - Stats
Level 11 - God's Strength
Level 12 - Cleave / Warcry
Level 13 - Cleave / Warcry
Level 14 - Cleave / Warcry
Level 15 - Cleave / Warcry / Stats
Level 16 - God's Strength
Level 17+ - Whatever is left

Justification:
This is the most common Sven build, storm bolt is maxed ASAP for obvious reason, and stats is get early to give more mana / ganking power.

Item Build

Always remember that skill and item builds are fluid, and this is especially true for the item build. I'll list some good item choices below but don't restrict your choices too much by this guide. Use your imagination and instincts.

Starting Item Choice

Some combination of these. If you play carry style Sven, get the Quelling blade, otherwise you shouldn't get it at the start.

Low Level Item Choice

Usually the Bracers are so good it is a sin to not get them. A boot is a must and everything else is situational.

Core Item Set

Armlet is the best DPS/Survival item you can get for Sven, and it has a very fluent build up. Under level 3 god's strength, it gives you 102.5 damage, 25 ias, INVALUABLE instant 475 life boost and 5 armor at the cost of 37hp/Sec. Switching armlet OFF and ON (5 sec cooldown! better than blink) saved me numerous times when I am being chase / ganked.

Power Tread is the boot for Sven. With God's Strength that 8 strength is pumped up to 20 damage. Sven also desperately needs the 25 attack speed.
Phase boots are for emo kids. Real men like Sven needs raw stats.

The Magic wand somehow solves your mana problems. Alternatively you can rely on the Bottle or Soul ring but personally I think wand is enough. Also wand provides stats boost.

Always carry a town portal, you are one of the better base defenders with your huge cleave damage.

Luxury Item Choice

Basically anything that can provide good strength boost is worth considering on Sven.

Blink Dagger deserves a special mentioning here. If the game is going on your side, you can get it as your first luxury after Armlet. However if you were forced to be on the defense side and can't freely roam/gank then you may skip this. It as situational (albeit strong) item rather than absolute core.

Heart of Tarrasque is a significant HP/Damage boost on sven for rather cheap 5500 gold, I recommend to get it as soon as you can afford it.

Battlefury, in contrast with common (mis)beliefs, is actually a viable Luxury item for Sven. If you plan to get it, get it early (right after PT/Armlet for example). The mana regen is very helpful, the life regen is nice, the damage boost is huge (BFury is actually one of the best damage/gold items in the game) the cleave stacks with your passive so you have a wopping 85% 200 AOE cleave damage, which is comparable with Dragon knight's elder dragon form.

Of all the orbs I recommend Satanic (life steal), because of the 25 strength in the built-up.

Endgame Full Set

With this build you have 4345 hit points, 67% physical damage reduction after Warcry, and crit for 2000 damage without resorting to any Divine Rapiers, can instant kill the enemy team if landing an excellent Storm bolt. However if the enemy team has strong disablers/silence/purge you should swap the BFury for a BKB.

Sven's Killing Routine
  1. After Seeing enemies: Activate Armlet.
  2. Cast God's strength.
  3. (optionally) Use MOC on someone if you have it.
  4. (optionally) Warcry.
  5. (optionally) Activate BKB.
  6. Initiate with Storm Bolt, try to AOE stun as many as possible.
  7. Attack the enemy, position yourself so that the rest are in your cleave AOE. Blink to the best position if you can.
  8. If they run away with fragment of HP and there are enemy creeps blocking your path, attack the creep so that the cleave will reach the fleeing heroes.
  9. Don't forget to deactivate Armlet when it is safe.

Diagrams

Good Allies and Bad Enemies

Mass puller

They suck :), you stun and cleave.

Aoe stunner

Chain Aoe stun = own.

Aoe Damager

You stun, they spree.

Purger

These are your enemies. They can purge your ulti, so be sure to buy BKB if you face them.

Changelog

Nov 03 2011: Edited according to suggestings in variours comments (Lycan).
Oct 13 2011: Adds Blink Dagger, thanks to Creepyshadow.
Oct 10 2011: First draft for v6.72f.
Apr 13 2012: Update for v6.74c.

Last edited by abakus; 04-13-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
orangeparka

Default Re: Casual Sven Guide

Do you really want Armlet as your first semi-expensive core item? How would Sven regen the lost HP from Armlet?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
abakus

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeparka View Post
Do you really want Armlet as your first semi-expensive core item? How would Sven regen the lost HP from Armlet?
Armlet when turned off, has 5HP/Sec regen, which is equivalent to a ring of health.

Also, you always can buy some tango/salves.

I want to point out that under lvl 3 God's strength, an Armlet gives you 102.5 damage, 25 IAS, 5 Armor, for what? 2600 gold and 37HP/Sec? The HP boost from 25 STR can gives you 12 seconds of free buffs, and usually you finish your enemies in like 2 seconds?
Old 10-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Creepyshadow

I like the core set however I think it might be wise in some cases to aim for a 5 slot filler and not 6. I'm assuming that casual means public gaming and the one thing I have learned from public gaming is sometimes you can't count on your allies to do whats needed to be done. There will be times where your forced to buy your own wards, your own chicken, your own dusts and gem. Invisibility can negate you entirely and it is because of this reason you may need to have a reserve slot to carry dust.

On your build while it is not bad you might want to look into the idea of purchasing blink dagger. I use to play sven a lot and with blink dagger, armlet, your ultimate, and your storm bolt the enemy wont know what hit them and will die in a matter of seconds.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:42 AM   #5
abakus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepyshadow View Post
I like the core set however I think it might be wise in some cases to aim for a 5 slot filler and not 6. I'm assuming that casual means public gaming and the one thing I have learned from public gaming is sometimes you can't count on your allies to do whats needed to be done. There will be times where your forced to buy your own wards, your own chicken, your own dusts and gem. Invisibility can negate you entirely and it is because of this reason you may need to have a reserve slot to carry dust.

On your build while it is not bad you might want to look into the idea of purchasing blink dagger. I use to play sven a lot and with blink dagger, armlet, your ultimate, and your storm bolt the enemy wont know what hit them and will die in a matter of seconds.
I agree, I usually buy dagger when the ganking is going well. I added it to the luxury now, thanks for the suggestion.

Skip a Bracer if you want a free slot.
Last edited by abakus; 11-04-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #6
FunnyWarfare

Guide Writing Award 

I'm not a great Sven player, but here is the way I see him:
1. Your stun is awesome...
but you're always low on mana.
Using your build this problem is kinda fixed by Urn and Magic Wand, but Soul Ring and Bottle can help you fix these problems, too. Maybe you should try them out.
2. When you activate your ultimate every hit of yours has the power of a nuke...
but you rarely hit people since they are concious of this and avoid it.
You maybe know these huge and incredibly strong monsters in movies who are sadly kinda slow and never hit anything till the agile protagonist finally slays them.
That's what you will be if you only focus on boosting your dps. But what if these one of these monsters suddenly appears right in your face so you can't dodge? That would actually make it dangerous, and that's why I recommend this handy item as core:

Cool things you can do with it:
1. DPS: You are actually in range to autoattack. In some games you deal more damage because of that than you would deal with Armlet. In some
2. Burst: Stun, Ulti, Blink to the target and hit. It's pretty much unavoidable, you sit in someones face and if this someone isn't tanky he should be half dead already. With the help of a teammate it should be a secured kill.
3. Area of Influence: The blink gives your stun basically 1800 range. You seem to be concious of the huge difference between 500 and 600 range, so I guess I don't need to explain how awesome 1800 range are. Helps a lot initiating ganks and even teamfights if your opponents tend to crowd together too much or just when you want to catch somebody out of position.
4. Pussying: You also get quite an unmanly escape mechanism, quite handy, really.

Btw: Your luxury choices are quite strange in my opinion, doesn't manta remove your ultimate?
Old 10-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #7
NZPossum

I like how you placed the comparisons to other stun skills. Pretty handy, but not getting blink dagger and BKB until after armlet may be fatal.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Lapis Lazuli

Some general notes:
*You should have alternate core for alternate builds
*Armlet is generally not worth it. You already hit hard enough, and a diffusal and you're gone. Even more so if you have no Blink
*Warcry is as good as it gets for what it does. I do agree it's not entirely a powerful skill, but's it's damn sure better than Cleave.
*There's no part of the guide that tells you how to play the hero

I have finally gotten around to fix the link for the blog, cheers

Old 10-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
erednay

Completely trash. I don't understand why anyone would choose not to max warcry. Even in your "ganking" build. You need the bonus armour and ms to dive towers with your tri lane you contemptible fool. A simple arcane boots would solve all your mana problems.

Offering DotA lessons, PM me for details.
Last edited by erednay; 10-24-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
No_Worries

I would say core would be SR/Boots/Dagger. It's very cheap, solves his mana problems, and makes him a potent ganker. Without dagger, you stun, you get close, they run away. Simple as that
Old 10-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
Lycan
Administrator

Steam: Princelycan

Format:
Alt Tab miniguide, swap the skill icons for names people remember skills with names not with icons.. People remember items with icon's.

[center] The image of sven.

StormBolt AoE and Castrange screenshot.
Cleave AoE,

Content:
Cleave ignores armor you should note it.

Warcry -> 12 armor every piece of armor add 6% ehp, 72%ehp increase against physical attacks... your numbers are flawed. It's actually quite decent during teamfights. or pushes

no mention of soulring.

Mass puller:
They suck... rephrase it to they cluster enemies up or something like that also add seer.

Published

Death is the only true winner of war
Old 11-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #12
lejone

Default New Comment

Sorry pal, but i don't understand why do you get armlet at first. It's not a good choice, instead go for a pair of bracers, a Mask of Madness, maybe the Dagger's blink ability and then buy your armlet. If there are many nukers in the other team, don't buy it, or they'll fuck you off. And, what do you think about phases?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
Facelessfatso15

Default New Comment

Your builds were good, but you forgot to put bottle for your core
Old 11-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
hakkoda_18

Default New Comment

where is dagger?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
EKSCKALEEBUUUUR

Default New Comment

As far as I know, Purge doesn't cancel his ulti anymore because now it's a transformation spell, not a buff.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #16
abakus

Default Re: New Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKSCKALEEBUUUUR View Post
As far as I know, Purge doesn't cancel his ulti anymore because now it's a transformation spell, not a buff.
It still does.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #17
abakus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyWarfare View Post
Btw: Your luxury choices are quite strange in my opinion, doesn't manta remove your ultimate?
No manta doesn't remove Sven's ultimate.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #18
Benlover

Default New Comment

Okay but want more HP.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #19
borgero

can be pertty good for dps sven can suipport too nice guide
Old 11-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #20
rodry2008

Default New Comment

Nice Gude dude!
Old 11-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #21
a39010952

Default New Comment

sven!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #22
KJlAYD

Default New Comment

nice image and guide!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #23
Gendaken

Default New Comment

The dota community really has good artists
Old 11-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #24
chermidar

Default New Comment

muy groso cn esa imagen
Old 12-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #25
italoleijoto

Default New Comment

the coolest
Old 12-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #26
skillkill54

Default New Comment

good guide :)
Old 12-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #27
jessedotafreak

Default New Comment

best sven guide awesome i hope u make a nice windrunner guide plizzz!!!! :)
Old 12-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #28
FiReScOrPiOn

Default New Comment

Nice guide, MOM FTW
Old 12-18-2011, 04:07 AM   #29
kancerbero

Default New Comment

so pro the sven just need bkb and gg
Old 12-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #30
CRNooB

Default New Comment

malditos noobs andres y zorro, all u need is MoM,BKB, and dagger
Old 12-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #31
WhAcKyToWn

Default New Comment

cool
Old 12-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #32
lexozor

Default New Comment

God's strenght
Old 01-29-2012, 02:58 AM   #33
vjpm3n9x

Default New Comment

thank
Old 05-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #34
remitoe

Default New Comment

in this ver his god's strength is no longer purgeable but why in the cons: said "his ulti is countered by purge"?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #35
punkala

Default New Comment

razor can purge?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #36
punkala

Default Re: New Comment

sorry, stupid of me. yea razor can purge. my bad. i guess if u stun him when ulti on, then u'll get purged.
Last edited by punkala; 08-13-2012 at 04:10 AM.
  Defense of the Ancients Game Strategy Published Guides