Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
hell911
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 718
hell911 is offline

Default How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?


what if i downloaded the dota 2 through steam in PC 1, how can i transfer it to PC 2 without downloading again?
__________________
.

 
Old 11-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
-Fs-Kev
Member
 
-Fs-Kev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Laval, Qc, Canada
Posts: 580
-Fs-Kev is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Lol, you don't know?

Newton's first law states that an object in motion wants to stay in motion.

So, throw your first PC at your second one. The first PC will stop moving upon contact, but the files in it will continue moving, according to Newton's first law. The files will then travel out of the first PC and into the second PC.

But be careful, if you don't throw it hard enough, the files will not penetrate through the PC, and will remain stuck inside forever. And even worse, if you throw it JUST A BIT less than you should, the files will penetrate out of the first PC, but will NOT be able to enter the second one, since the files will lose some energy going out of the first PC. In this case, the files will be lost, and you'll never be able to play the game anymore.

And of course, in that case you'll give me your key (since you can't use it anymore) and I'll sell it since I already have one.


It's okay, you'll learn it soon enough if you stay in school!
 
Last edited by -Fs-Kev; 11-12-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
ALL_CAPS_GUY
Member
 
ALL_CAPS_GUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: AM NOT RUSSIA
Posts: 2,179
ALL_CAPS_GUY is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

It's connected to your steam account.
Not PC.

You'll be able to use it on all PC's.
 
Old 11-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
Clerono
Member
 
Clerono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Posts: 53
Clerono is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

LISTEN UP

Go to Library on steam, right click Dota 2. Go to Backup game files, make sure that only Dota 2 is checked. Click next, select the directory, and when asked for size make sure you write down a size that gives you 1 file. That file can then be carried in an usb or dvd.

Once you get to the new pc, install steam normally, log your account, and you should see Dota 2 in your games, but wont show as installed. To the top menu, click Steam, "Backup and restore games", select directory, wait a few minutes, and its done.
 
Old 11-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
-Fs-Kev
Member
 
-Fs-Kev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Laval, Qc, Canada
Posts: 580
-Fs-Kev is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL_CAPS_GUY View Post
It's connected to your steam account.
Not PC.

You'll be able to use it on all PC's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clerono View Post
LISTEN UP

Go to Library on steam, right click Dota 2. Go to Backup game files, make sure that only Dota 2 is checked. Click next, select the directory, and when asked for size make sure you write down a size that gives you 1 file. That file can then be carried in an usb or dvd.

Once you get to the new pc, install steam normally, log your account, and you should see Dota 2 in your games, but wont show as installed. To the top menu, click Steam, "Backup and restore games", select directory, wait a few minutes, and its done.
Pshh, stop lying to him. The way that I speak of this the one and only way!
 
Old 11-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #6
-ImBa.Niao-
Member
 
-ImBa.Niao-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MY
Posts: 485
-ImBa.Niao- is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

get a new key on new pc
 
Old 11-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
ringbearer
Member
 
ringbearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,304
ringbearer is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell911 View Post
what if i downloaded the dota 2 through steam in PC 1, how can i transfer it to PC 2 without downloading again?
Transfer the local content from your Steam account folder.
__________________
Dota 2 64bit edition stream live at 6pm GMT
 
Old 11-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
Clerono
Member
 
Clerono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Posts: 53
Clerono is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringbearer View Post
Transfer the local content from your Steam account folder.
That might also work, but I had experiences in the past where some of my games became corrupted, and forced me to either download the whole game, or a few files. Either way, its not 100% secure that it will work.
 
Old 11-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #9
ringbearer
Member
 
ringbearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,304
ringbearer is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clerono View Post
That might also work, but I had experiences in the past where some of my games became corrupted, and forced me to either download the whole game, or a few files. Either way, its not 100% secure that it will work.
You can simply fix that by verifying the game content through steam. Always has worked for me thus farm.
__________________
Dota 2 64bit edition stream live at 6pm GMT
 
Old 11-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
Clerono
Member
 
Clerono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Posts: 53
Clerono is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringbearer View Post
You can simply fix that by verifying the game content through steam. Always has worked for me thus farm.
Yep, verifying will fix it most of the time, but I had to redownload Sanctum and half of Bad Company 2 because of this issue :<
 
Old 11-12-2011, 01:48 AM   #11
EraserheadX
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
EraserheadX is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

will this work for another account?

Eg let's say someone gets in the beta and gives one invite to a friend. Can you download the game, back up the files and then give them to your friend so he doesn't have to download it also?
 
Old 11-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #12
Boss_Kobra
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,212
Boss_Kobra is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserheadX View Post
will this work for another account?

Eg let's say someone gets in the beta and gives one invite to a friend. Can you download the game, back up the files and then give them to your friend so he doesn't have to download it also?
I tried to do this for a friend with TF2 and it didn't work. But maybe I just did something wrong?
 
Old 11-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #13
dezshiz
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 337
dezshiz is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Yes you can, as long as you get the correct folders. BUT he must have bought the game already.
 
Old 11-12-2011, 02:28 AM   #14
DiesIrae
Member
 
DiesIrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 166
DiesIrae is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fs-Kev View Post
Lol, you don't know?

Newton's first law states that an object in motion wants to stay in motion.

So, throw your first PC at your second one. The first PC will stop moving upon contact, but the files in it will continue moving, according to Newton's first law. The files will then travel out of the first PC and into the second PC.

But be careful, if you don't throw it hard enough, the files will not penetrate through the PC, and will remain stuck inside forever. And even worse, if you throw it JUST A BIT less than you should, the files will penetrate out of the first PC, but will NOT be able to enter the second one, since the files will lose some energy going out of the first PC. In this case, the files will be lost, and you'll never be able to play the game anymore.

And of course, in that case you'll give me your key (since you can't use it anymore) and I'll sell it since I already have one.


It's okay, you'll learn it soon enough if you stay in school!
You sir win 10 internets.
__________________
 
Old 11-12-2011, 03:00 AM   #15
-Fs-Kev
Member
 
-Fs-Kev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Laval, Qc, Canada
Posts: 580
-Fs-Kev is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiesIrae View Post
You sir win 10 internets.
Yes!
 
Old 11-12-2011, 03:09 AM   #16
StraY_WolF
Member
 
StraY_WolF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Under the stars
Posts: 3,965
StraY_WolF is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fs-Kev View Post
I bet you were waiting for that.
 
Old 11-12-2011, 03:21 AM   #17
-Fs-Kev
Member
 
-Fs-Kev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Laval, Qc, Canada
Posts: 580
-Fs-Kev is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraY_WolF View Post
I bet you were waiting for that.
Loool! Not really, but I remembered it when I was thinking of what to post
 
Old 11-12-2011, 03:23 AM   #18
jobzsinz
Member
 
jobzsinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,480
jobzsinz is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

yeah u have to download again
__________________

"JobZ" - My DeviantART [Arts R' Here]
My Steam : لżηııعηт


 
Old 11-12-2011, 03:30 AM   #19
StraY_WolF
Member
 
StraY_WolF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Under the stars
Posts: 3,965
StraY_WolF is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobzsinz View Post
yeah u have to download again
Stop lying (and ks). Read the thread again you troll.
 
Old 11-12-2011, 03:31 AM   #20
DotA2King
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 69
DotA2King is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

just download it again.
 
Old 11-12-2011, 03:32 AM   #21
jobzsinz
Member
 
jobzsinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,480
jobzsinz is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraY_WolF View Post
Stop lying (and ks). Read the thread again you troll.
,.l.,
...
XD
theres no other way but DL again..
__________________

"JobZ" - My DeviantART [Arts R' Here]
My Steam : لżηııعηт


 
Old 11-12-2011, 03:32 AM   #22
Asa'djun
Member
 
Asa'djun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DOTA2
Posts: 1,321
Asa'djun is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Gimme the key. I will try to solve this afterward.
 
Old 11-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #23
StraY_WolF
Member
 
StraY_WolF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Under the stars
Posts: 3,965
StraY_WolF is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobzsinz View Post
,.l.,
...
XD
theres no other way but DL again..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clerono View Post
LISTEN UP

Go to Library on steam, right click Dota 2. Go to Backup game files, make sure that only Dota 2 is checked. Click next, select the directory, and when asked for size make sure you write down a size that gives you 1 file. That file can then be carried in an usb or dvd.

Once you get to the new pc, install steam normally, log your account, and you should see Dota 2 in your games, but wont show as installed. To the top menu, click Steam, "Backup and restore games", select directory, wait a few minutes, and its done.
Really. You need to stop ksing.
 
Old 11-12-2011, 03:39 AM   #24
jobzsinz
Member
 
jobzsinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,480
jobzsinz is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraY_WolF View Post
Really. You need to stop ksing.
i dont KS
i just got lucky bounces !
besides w/o me on that game
u guys would suck it >
__________________

"JobZ" - My DeviantART [Arts R' Here]
My Steam : لżηııعηт


 
Old 11-12-2011, 03:47 AM   #25
StraY_WolF
Member
 
StraY_WolF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Under the stars
Posts: 3,965
StraY_WolF is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobzsinz View Post
i dont KS
i just got lucky bounces !
besides w/o me on that game
u guys would suck it >
I kill 11 guys without your help. Your opinion is invalid.
 
Old 11-12-2011, 03:51 AM   #26
jobzsinz
Member
 
jobzsinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,480
jobzsinz is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraY_WolF View Post
I kill 11 guys without your help. Your opinion is invalid.
i killed 15 w/o ur help
__________________

"JobZ" - My DeviantART [Arts R' Here]
My Steam : لżηııعηт


 
Old 11-12-2011, 03:53 AM   #27
StraY_WolF
Member
 
StraY_WolF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Under the stars
Posts: 3,965
StraY_WolF is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobzsinz View Post
i killed 15 w/o ur help
LIES! I ultied everyone before your ulti bounce. FREEKIN KSER!!
 
Old 11-12-2011, 04:11 AM   #28
jobzsinz
Member
 
jobzsinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,480
jobzsinz is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraY_WolF View Post
LIES! I ultied everyone before your ulti bounce. FREEKIN KSER!!
i play as carry support when lich...
deal with it dumbsht XD
__________________

"JobZ" - My DeviantART [Arts R' Here]
My Steam : لżηııعηт


 
Old 11-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #29
StraY_WolF
Member
 
StraY_WolF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Under the stars
Posts: 3,965
StraY_WolF is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobzsinz View Post
i play as carry support when lich...
deal with it dumbsht XD
okay.jpg
 
Old 11-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #30
jobzsinz
Member
 
jobzsinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,480
jobzsinz is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraY_WolF View Post
god damn troll

good thing i picked Sand King for u than freaking solo stun leoric
atleast u helped alot than fail us
u piece of crap

,.l.,
__________________

"JobZ" - My DeviantART [Arts R' Here]
My Steam : لżηııعηт


 
Old 11-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #31
pd.erMing
Member
 
pd.erMing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tabaco City
Posts: 1,287
pd.erMing is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

copy the whole steamapps folder, remove none dota2 related, paste to newly installed steam (same file path)eurika! ive done this so many times
 
Old 11-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #32
StraY_WolF
Member
 
StraY_WolF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Under the stars
Posts: 3,965
StraY_WolF is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobzsinz View Post
god damn troll

good thing i picked Sand King for u than freaking solo stun leoric
atleast u helped alot than fail us
u piece of crap

,.l.,
You're the one who fail at pick. Sk =/= sk.
Can't tell the difference between Leo and Crix. FAIL CAPTAIN.
 
Old 11-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #33
jobzsinz
Member
 
jobzsinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,480
jobzsinz is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraY_WolF View Post
You're the one who fail at pick. Sk =/= sk.
Can't tell the difference between Leo and Crix. FAIL CAPTAIN.
theyre both SK
i dont care which is capital SK is SK
nxt time be specific
or just say leoric
__________________

"JobZ" - My DeviantART [Arts R' Here]
My Steam : لżηııعηт


 
Old 11-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #34
StraY_WolF
Member
 
StraY_WolF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Under the stars
Posts: 3,965
StraY_WolF is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobzsinz View Post
theyre both SK
i dont care which is capital SK is SK
nxt time be specific
or just say leoric
You still fail.
 
Old 11-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #35
jobzsinz
Member
 
jobzsinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,480
jobzsinz is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraY_WolF View Post
You still fail.
u say KS all the time...
its not my fault my bounces are epic
its not my fault i got the kills its not KS
its a fking team clash
and no i didnt fail...
im the biggest factor on why we won
even 1st blood.. its spectre who ks'd
__________________

"JobZ" - My DeviantART [Arts R' Here]
My Steam : لżηııعηт


 
Old 11-12-2011, 07:06 AM   #36
StraY_WolF
Member
 
StraY_WolF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Under the stars
Posts: 3,965
StraY_WolF is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobzsinz View Post
u say KS all the time...
its not my fault my bounces are epic
its not my fault i got the kills its not KS
its a fking team clash
and no i didnt fail...
im the biggest factor on why we won
even 1st blood.. its spectre who ks'd
Agreed. We blame spectre.
 
Old 11-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #37
KatamES
Member
 
KatamES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 393
KatamES is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

Transfer DOTA 2 using a usb or a hardisk or pendrive or whatsoever.
__________________
 
Old 11-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #38
Darkgam3r06
Member
 
Darkgam3r06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 503
Darkgam3r06 is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

You should study newtons theory.
 
Old 11-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #39
hell911
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 718
hell911 is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

ok, thanks everyone, copying folder is accepted here then.. i will use it.

__________________
.

 
Old 11-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #40
r0man
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 48
r0man is offline
Default Re: How to transfer DotA 2 in another PC?

You have to re-download it through steam. Unless you have a home network which you can transfer it through although it might just be simpler to re-download it.
 
Closed Thread
  Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat


Forum Jump

Thread Tools