Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #41
DyzaztyR

Steam: DyzaztyR

Default Dota2 overheating laptop?

try cooling pad, seriously it will be far better then the situation you are facing right now

Playing as support since v6.48 .... like a BOSS

Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #42
sacathato

Default Re: Dota2 overheating laptop?
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Try dusting out your fan and running JUST DotA 2 when you play to minimize CPU usage.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #43
TheTrollolol

ASUS lol, the shittiest brand my friend have ever brought. After 1 month usage, the internal fan stopped working. One time, i put a candle beside my friend's ASUS laptop(near the fan/cpu window), after 15 mins, i couldn't find my candle's back for my science project. What i found next to his laptop is a puddle of wax. I wonder why they were awarded best pc brand in malaysia.

External cooler is the best option for laptop, without it in non-aircon room your laptop gonna overheat easily. Or if you are cheapskate just put something to elevate your laptop so there's air circulation underneath your laptop, it helps me when i am away from home and bringing cooler isn't an option.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #44
Xmarksthegank

If it is a model with HD5650M, it should be able to run Dota 2 on it's own screen, even though the 1600 x 900 can put a bit of a strain on it.

A 17" laptop shouldn't be overheating like that. A slim 15" or simply smaller laptops I could understand, so figure out with things like 3dMark11 while using a program for watching over the temps, to see if it really is an overheating issue.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #45
uo111

My laptop gets really hot when I play DotA2.

It's brand new, so it's not dust. A fan would certainly help, I'm sure.

But all that I have to do is turn the brightness down to the lowest level and I can play non-stop.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:54 AM   #46
ceazarlay

play dota 2 inside ur refrigerator. :P
Old 04-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #47
nifhail

Dell Studio Xps.. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5370.. 8GB RAM.. i5.. before this i can play.. but since the new patch update.. i cant.. what now?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #48
Xmarksthegank

There are issues of the game undervolting the GPU at some point.

My HD5650M runs it fine at 90 fps with the settings I chose, and is not even fully stressed. Then, at random, non-fixed intervals which have nothing to do with what is on the screen, it simply drops to 20-30 fps with very low GPU usage, and at that point the game isn't nice to play.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #49
nopistons420
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quze View Post
You are wrong all laptops are made for gaming in mind, why do you think even intel is trying to get their vga more powerful, answer is simple for gaming. And what kind of engineer would design powerful laptop without proper cooling system.
hahahahaha thanks for the laugh laptops are made with web browsing and powerpoint presentations in mind...

there is a simple fix for this issue and that is to build a desktop pc like a real man
Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #50
Zimoria

Have you checked the power options on the battery icon? I play on a ASUS K52jc and for a long time I didn't know there was options for allowing the computer to increase its fan speed from the default.

You could try getting a laptop cooler(not sure if they work or not, they seem like they do), they're around $30-50 in my area. And if you can't do that, you can put it close to a fan or something lol. I know someone that had to do that for a while with their desktop's video card, they took the head off of the pole of a rotating fan and put it on the floor next to the tower, worked pretty well, was loud as fuck though.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #51
carcaroff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsa View Post
I'm running on a gateway nv79 (Gateway Support - Specifications) with no upgrades, and have been experiencing overheating problems when playing dota 2 and was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem or if because dota2 is still in beta, is may just induce an overclocking of my system.

Dude, open the noteboom and clean it with a spray with compressed air.

Had the same problem with Hon and mw3 a month ago, then i cleaned fans and now....my laptop rocks.

True story bro.

P.S. Obviously my notebook already lost its warranty.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #52
sreynolds1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrollolol View Post
ASUS lol, the shittiest brand my friend have ever brought. After 1 month usage, the internal fan stopped working. One time, i put a candle beside my friend's ASUS laptop(near the fan/cpu window), after 15 mins, i couldn't find my candle's back for my science project. What i found next to his laptop is a puddle of wax. I wonder why they were awarded best pc brand in malaysia.

External cooler is the best option for laptop, without it in non-aircon room your laptop gonna overheat easily. Or if you are cheapskate just put something to elevate your laptop so there's air circulation underneath your laptop, it helps me when i am away from home and bringing cooler isn't an option.
My ASUS laptop I got 5 years ago still performs as good as it did then, only had one heating issue because I never cleaned out the fan after 2 years in a dusty college dorm room.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #53
sickness84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsa View Post
I'm running on a gateway nv79 (Gateway Support - Specifications) with no upgrades, and have been experiencing overheating problems when playing dota 2 and was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem or if because dota2 is still in beta, is may just induce an overclocking of my system.
do not lower while inside the dota 2(i do not mention the game, but the game app. where "play, learn, watch stuff is written").

adjust the settings as low as possible then quit the dota 2. After that, restart the dota 2 and enter the matches.

By the way, as my recommendation, the first setting you should lower is image res. Select the lowest image res. then raise other options step by step.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #54
Diyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by next_kingdom View Post
just buy alienware laptop LOL
just throw away your money on an overpriced p.o.s. because you dont know anything about computers!

but seriously, I had the same problem with my laptop overheating but it is about 2 years old, so in order to fix it i opened it up and reapplied thermal paste to my GPU. Themal paste you can buy at a radioshack for about 6 dollars, andthe procedure isnt that hard.

http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134

this article will tell you all you need to know, goodluck!

PS: First check the fans, you will know the thermal paste is bad if its "hard". thermal paste has the consistancy of wet clay usually.

EDIT: Also if you don't know what your doing with your computer/are too afraid to learn and ARE under warrenty id recommend sending it in, but for me a month without my laptop is unacceptable so DIY is the best option. If you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself bring it somewhere and tell them specifically to reapply the thermal paste, Dont bring it to best buy if you live in the states, they rip you off really hardcore.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #55
KnightXIII

used to have same problem.you can fix its easily by buying cooling pad
but if its still turn off try use this program.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Use this for check what tempt your laptop now if its too high close all app.
then use this
http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...D/index-e.html
too control the voltage that pass to your cpu so
if you manage its it' will never shutdown by heating
(but if you put too low voltage your laptop will bluescreen dont worry just put somemore voltage)
this 's how to set voltage by this program
go to Funtion>Intel enchanced speed control>enable change voltage>New voltage>
set its below current about 5-10 example like 0.950 V
well use its to suit your using.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #56
vailfaen

having this issue too.
  Defense of the Ancients DotA Chat