Developer's Blog
Register Low Fi Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #41
Sven2k
Forum Staff

Steam: Sven2k

Default Tribes: Ascend (10 years, finally!)

^that
Old 04-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #42
Ari~
Banned

Default Re: Tribes Ascend

i marked it for merge with the other one. sorry.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #43
Foede
Forum Manager

Steam: foede
Awesome 

Merged with older thread.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #44
Domenico
Forum Staff

Steam: barrogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0hSnap View Post
I've been playing for about an hour so. It's pretty fun, but I'm not doing that well lol. Any experienced players have any tips for improving? It feels like I can't hit anyone 90% of the time.
I was gathering some opinions and I must say that only practice will help. You may know some things about it, but try to take a brake for like 2 weeks and you will feel like you're started learning from scratch. Well, maybe that's a bit of a exaggeration, but you got the point.

A few tips:

- Your own movement speed vector adds to the said vector of any round you shoot, so if you're going fast, keep that in mind;
- Hitting mid-air is badass but improbable, so when using explosive weapons you must predict where your enemy will land and shoot the ground there. Because of that having extra energy makes you less vulnerable to spinfusor (also thumper, bolter and similar weapons) fire as you can skrew with your jumping rythm and thus with enemy targeting;
- Skiing is the power in so many regards, learn to ski. Actually, moving like a boss is like 50% of success, if not more. You can check youtube for some tricks;
- Don't forget about grenades, when looking for cheap yet effective upgrades you can't go wrong with +1 grenade ammo;
- Inventory stations can change your class, and if that fails you still can use suicide button and respawn as a member of another class, helps when you have to deal with consistent threat of certain sort (people lolcamping your gen room? take Jugg and blow the f&#k them out of there) as classes are not that versatile mostly;
- Keep base assets up and running, I bet you've noticed the difference destroyed sensoe makes. That said, Tech isn't a bad class to buy if you don't mind playing support with nice SMG;
- It's one of those few FPS when watching your back every 3 seconds isn't needed... Unless you are checking indoors of your base (prepare to dodge nades coming out of nowhere!)
- Nothing can help you with this game except for practive, good luck

"The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments."
Friedrich Nietzsche

------------------------------------------
DC and VG mod. Feel free to PM me with your concerns.
My Steam
Note that I have that infamous edit-a-lot-after-posting syndrome.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #45
0hSnap

^Thanks for the advice man. I'm definitely going to play more and see how it goes.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #46
BiH-Kira

Default Re: Tribes: Ascend (10 years, finally!)

Looks like the guys at Hi-Rez really want to ruin this game.
First they added fucking overpowered Infiltrator weapons that cost an insane amount of exp. which makes you grind 10 days just for one of them.
Now they added even more overpowered Rider weapons which also cost an insane amount of exp. There is just no way to kill him when he's piratically invisible, has those fucked up cluster grenades that kill heavy classes in 2 hits and have the biggest AOE in the game.

Looks like they really want to make the game pay to win instead of free to play.
If you play just few games daily, you will need even more than 10 days. I play ~4 games per day and after 2 weeks, I got 40k exp. Need 100k just for one of them.

And before all that, they gave the fucking, already most powered class in game, technician, the fucked up, most overpowered weapon, the Thumper.

It wouldn't be that bad if the fucking generator wasn't in a small room where he can't miss you unless he's a fucking shithead.

If your enemy technician is at least decent and has the Thumper, you can't forget about getting the generator down.
If your enemy Rider has the new weapons, and is at least decent, you can say goodbye to your generator.

Part of the 'Suggestions Review thread'. If you have a request for a review of your remake suggestion, please send a private message.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #47
Domenico
Forum Staff

TBH thumper was there forever, though I don't see how Tech is the most powerful class there. But okay, it depends on environement, even genroom are different.

Speaking of Raider, it was entire point of him, to own indoors, but Juggs used to mock anyone else despite another destignated role. So HRS decided to fix it in a weird way. Though I must admit that SMGs and similar stuff pisses me off.
Plasma is hardly different from T2 incarnation.

By the way, it's funny actually, 1-2 pages before it was said that weapon customisation was removed for the sake of balance, but this particular realization brought more problems than it solved. Something tells me that balancing weapons and 3 classes was easier than gearsets and 9 clsasses

"The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments."
Friedrich Nietzsche

My Steam
Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #48
IplayRandom

I am realy enjoying my Doombringer now. Even though I mostly play deathmatch, where supposedly he doesn't shine that much, I find the game much more enjoyable without all the need to fly around and struggle to aim with disks, bolts and whatnot against other flying targets. Machine gun ftw. Too bad his grenade is like the crappiest of all others I have used.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #49
BiH-Kira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenico View Post
TBH thumper was there forever, though I don't see how Tech is the most powerful class there. But okay, it depends on environement, even genroom are different.

Speaking of Raider, it was entire point of him, to own indoors, but Juggs used to mock anyone else despite another destignated role. So HRS decided to fix it in a weird way. Though I must admit that SMGs and similar stuff pisses me off.
Plasma is hardly different from T2 incarnation.

By the way, it's funny actually, 1-2 pages before it was said that weapon customisation was removed for the sake of balance, but this particular realization brought more problems than it solved. Something tells me that balancing weapons and 3 classes was easier than gearsets and 9 clsasses

The Thumper isn't overpowered on it's own because it was used on classes like the soldier. They are classes meant to fight out doors most of the times so aiming was a huge part of it's balance.
But when added to a class that is almost always indoors, it gets overpowered. You don't even need to aim properly. Hit the opposite wall and you got it.
Technicians shouldn't have explosive weapons, except the grenade.

And my problem with Rider is that the hitbox of his plasma balls is MUCH bigger than the actual projectile. It should miss you, but it still hits you. They even nerfed it by 40%, jet it's still bigger than it looks like. It's just to big. And considering how fast he can shoot, it's rather hard to do anything against him.

And I seriously don't know what to think about Jugg. People either own me really hard with him, or they have no chance. He seems like a really powerful class, but requires much more skill (except for Mortar spamming the generator room entrance ^^)

Part of the 'Suggestions Review thread'. If you have a request for a review of your remake suggestion, please send a private message.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #50
Domenico
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiH-Kira View Post
The Thumper isn't overpowered on it's own because it was used on classes like the soldier. They are classes meant to fight out doors most of the times so aiming was a huge part of it's balance.
But when added to a class that is almost always indoors, it gets overpowered. You don't even need to aim properly. Hit the opposite wall and you got it.
Technicians shouldn't have explosive weapons, except the grenade.
Tech is always needed outside to fix peripherials. You can genhug ofc, but that will only get you killed by Infiltrators. Or you will (most likely) end up protecting something that powers only useless ruins.
Speaking of classes that are meant to fight indoors, Techs aren't the most suitable at all. It's better to leave some heavies on guarding duties than trying to patch things with Tech later (or guarding with Tech). IMO.

Speaking of Thumper, it's not the same as Soilders, but its effectiveness may vary. Not all indoors are the same. However, it's definitely one of the most powerful explosive weapon for its range it seems.

Quote:
And I seriously don't know what to think about Jugg. People either own me really hard with him, or they have no chance. He seems like a really powerful class, but requires much more skill (except for Mortar spamming the generator room entrance ^^)
That's right, but there are also dependance on circumstances. He's quite funny when used to deny a location (aim for your own flag, get enemy PFs killed, profit) and indoors (at least Drydock kind of indoors, Temple would be harder, for example). However they don't have a lot to respond with to Doom who managed to give him a hug. Unless he has that MG probably...

Friedrich Nietzsche

My Steam
Old 05-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #51
fr0zenknife

I don't like the direction they are going ATM. I hope it is not going to be new item packs and skins for class every patch. At least not after they released one for each.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #52
IplayRandom

What are good perks for Doombringer who plays mostly DM and Arena ? I am thinking Safety Third and Potential Energy.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #53
BiH-Kira

^A bit late, but still.
I would agree with Safety Third and Potential Energy, tho I wouldn't play DB on DM and Arena. Even tho he can be played offensivly, he's most powerful when defending.

Brute is the best offensive heavy class. Safety Third makes fractal grenades have INSANE aoe, while potential energy gives him the ability to fly as much, sometimes even more than any other class.

Another good perk in those 2 modes would be Survivalist which helps a lot for Juggernaut and the fukken OP automatic gun (OP if you know to aim even a bit, they need to nerf it by lowering the bullet speed).

The best class for DM (IMO) is the Soldier. The most balanced class. Can go as fast as the Pathfinder, but can deal damage as much as the Brute. But you need to know to ski really well and to aim.

Anyways. I just wanted to say that Tribes is now on Steam. I'm currently downloading it to see if those two are connected and if the exp is still there. If not, I'm gonna keep playing the old one. I don't want to waste all my hard earned exp and invested 10$.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #54
DarkMessiah7

Steam: JesterGR

Is this the only f2p after LoL thats worth trying ? Ive been playing unreal tournament 3.. Should i try it ?

Old 08-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #55
fr0zenknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMessiah7 View Post
Is this the only f2p after LoL thats worth trying ? Ive been playing unreal tournament 3.. Should i try it ?
It is certainly fun, but farming items can be frustrating if you don't enjoy the ones you currently have.

I played it since early beta and there wasn't much of a choice and i had more than i could spend when things have changed.

I don't play it currently, however.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #56
BiH-Kira

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMessiah7 View Post
TF2 is also f2p and it's more than worth trying.
Tribes isn't far behind and I strongly recommend it to everyone who got bored of the slow popular FPS games.

OT:
Lately high level games are being full of automatic weapons spammer and sentinel making flying practically impossible. I hope the guys at hi-rez do something about it.

All the auto weapons need to be heavily nerfed. Especially the Jugg. X1.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #57
Domenico
Forum Staff

Quote:
OT:
Lately high level games are being full of automatic weapons spammer and sentinel making flying practically impossible. I hope the guys at hi-rez do something about it.

All the auto weapons need to be heavily nerfed. Especially the Jugg. X1.
Meh, there was a reason that the only automatic weapon in Tribes 2 was chaingun, the one taking enormous time to deploy. Mainstream SMGs available to almost everyone was the thing that really surprized me when I launched Tribes:A for the first time.

Friedrich Nietzsche

My Steam
Old 08-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #58
fr0zenknife

Well, at least they are not hitscan anymore.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #59
BiH-Kira

Considering the fire rate and bullet speed of some of them, they could as well be.

Sentinel Falco shoots too fast to be able to move between bullets and the bullets are fast enough that he could easily us it instead of the sniper rifle on low/mid range.

The Jugg. firing rate and damage are just insane. Unless you have perfect aiming or use also an automatic gun, just avoid him. By just spamming at you, he can start flying and kill you before he's out of energy. So you have to hit him in mid air with your Spinfuser.

In the latest patch they literally doubled the firing rate of the Light Assault Rifle. That combined with the decent damage and huge range makes it impossible to run away from a decent chaser.

The only class that is better of with an explosive weapons than a automatic one is the Technician. And even then there are many situation where that's not the case.

Even the infiltrator's Jackal was nerfed enough to make the Rihno a preferable choice.

As it now stands, there is really no reason to pick an explosive weapon over the automatic that uses the same slot.

And I'm not writing this because "i'm mad for getting owned". Yes, I get killed a to often with automatic weapon and it frustrates me. But that's not the reason why I write it.

I'm even more frustrated by the fact that I'm being forced to use one my self if I want to stay competitive in high level games. If I wanted to use automatic guns, I would play CoD and BF3.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #60
Domenico
Forum Staff

Well, just bumpind this stuff to say that T:A added "one time payment" system. Now you can basically unlock everything for $15 (maybe that's the price for those already having "premium") or so. Cosmetics not included though.

Sentinels and automatic weapons haven't became any less gay though

Friedrich Nietzsche

My Steam
Old 02-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #61
BiH-Kira

Yea, 2 days ago I started playing a bit again.
Automatic weapons are still fucked up. Yet people using them still go "hurr durr u noob, chaingun wuz in T1 n T2", not realizing that the chain gun is the only balanced automatic weapon.

IMHO, for a game that is about flying and going fast, there are far too many anti air and anti sanic weapons. Unlike the chain gun, other automatic weapon don't have a 1.4 seconds spin up time and can be used in short burst of 3-4 bullets. Missing that way is almost impossible if you've played the game for more than 10 rounds.

Did some calculations. The X1 has the absolute highest DPS during the first 6-7 seconds of shooting. Only after that the Chain gun gets stronger. That's how much the spin up time limits the chain gun. And 4 seconds are enough to kill anyone because the DPS is ~720, which means that it deals ~2800 dmg in 4 seconds while the chain gun deals ~2300 dmg.

Also, still too many Sentinel with aim hacks. Fucker sometimes fly over 200 sanics and still manage to head-shot you every time taking you down in 2 hits.

And since Hi-Rez added a Spare Spinfuser as Soldiers secondary weapon just to allow the Assault Rifle and Spinfuser at the same time, it's highly unlikely that they will nerf autos at all.

P.S. When you enter the game, go to the place where you can enter a code. Enter "GOTTAGOFAST", no space between the words. Now you go in sanics instead of km/h.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #62
Hominghead

Bump.

> User SDK & Custom Content

Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #63
Corki
Banned

Location: You get annoyed by my really long description... No? What about now? What about now? ... Now?

I liked the previous Tribes...

It sorta had a story...
Old 12-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #64
Domenico
Forum Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hominghead View Post
Bump.

> User SDK & Custom Content

Thoughts?
It would be extra nice if you could provide link to some writeup providing some details on what you are talking about.

[bitterpost]Are SMGs still everywhere?[/bitterpost]

Friedrich Nietzsche

My Steam
Old 12-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #65
Lithary

My friend was in the beta and showed it to me about a year ago.
Just like with DotA, I'm a FPS veteran who has a good history with FPS games but simply let his skills rust due to lack of interest in the game(s).
If any game pulls me out of my FPS retirement it's gonna be this one.
  Entertainment Video Games