Arrow [INT-Sentinel] Aenor - Arcane Scholar

Added on 15th december 2011
In collaboration with Inreet
Download Testmap v1b

Arcane Scholar
Aenor

Strength    -Agility   Intelligence

17 + 1.9    -18 + 2.0    24 + 2.9

Arcane Blast Quickly condensates arcane energies to deal magic damage to his enemies.
 Arcane Dome Creates a protective dome that prevents enemies from entering the area, and deflects a percentage of ranged attacks.
 Discontinuity Opens two portals, allowing instant teleportation between them. Can be used by both friends and foes.
 Empower Empowers next Aenor's spell, improving it's effect.

Affiliation: Sentinel _____ Attack Animation:0.35 / 0.5
Damage:50 - 55 Casting Animation:0.3 / 0.35
Armor:2.2 Base Attack Time:1.7
Movespeed:300 Missile Speed:1200
Attack Range:600 Sight Range:1800 / 1000
One of the most versatile wizards, Aenor has a great selection of spells that can fit any situation. Arcane Blast is an impressive harassment tool, which evolves into a great farming and pushing utility. Arcane Dome represents a protective barrier. The dome prevents enemies from entering the area; and also deflects a part of ranged attacks. Discontinuity, in a nutshell, is a worhole. It allows instant teleportation between summoned portals. Through these can be used by both friends and foes alike, Aenor is the one who decides when to summon, or close them, making possible spectacular escapes, as well as bringing new ganking strategies to life. Ultimate further elevates Aenor's abilities. And it also defines the role Aenor will fit in selected setup. Empowered Blast is great for ganking - stunning all affected enemies. Empowered Dome - is an ultimate support ability, since it provides extra magical resistance. Additionally it protects from magic immune melee heroes. And lastly, Empowered Discontinuity - is just made for team battles and pushing.
Native roles: supporter, pusher, anti-pusher.
Situational roles: ganker, caster semi-carry.
Magic takes many forms, but none hold more wonders than the Arcane. Shields that match the toughest frost magic, psionic blasts able to wreck as much devastation as fire and if used correctly, able to tear apart the fabric of time and space. Highly unstable and dangerous to both wielder and foe alike, few magi have dared plumb the Arcane for its secrets, and none have learned more than Aenor. Responsible for the very shields that protect Dalaran itself, Aenor is rarely seen outside the Council of Six. But as the war between the Sentinel and the Scourge comes to a close, the Kirin Tor has one more card to play in aid of the Sentinel. Enter the Arcane Scholar. 

Arcane Blast
Skill Type:Active
Cast Type:Unit, Point
Hotkey:R
Quickly condensates arcane energies to deal magic damage to his enemy for 55 + extra 65 damage per each arcane charge. Has small aoe effect and can target units or ground.

Level 
Mana Cost

Cooldown

Casting Range

Area of Effect

Charge limit

Notes:
  • Deals magical damage
  • 0.3s detonation delay
  • Damages structures for 1/3 of regular damage.
Targeting:
  • Can be targeted on the ground - causing a delayed aoe damage in the pointed area.
  • Or can be targeted on an enemy unit - causing a delayed aoe damage that will harm both the unit and surrounding enemies at the detonation time.
Arcane Charges:
  • Current number of charges is visible by the number of flying orbs around Aenor (akin to invoker's wex orbs)
  • On detonation current charges are depleted.
  • Charges are restored (automatically) over time.
  • Increasing Aenor's INT parameter will lead to faster restoration.
  • The formula for charges restoration is: one charge per [3 - min(2, floor(int / 50))] seconds:
    • _0 - 49 (int): 1 charge per 3 seconds.
    • 50 - 99 (int): 1 charge per 2 seconds.
    • 100+ (int): 1 charge per 1 second.
    So bassically it allows him to use blast more often at the cost of reduced damage, unless his INT parameter is high enough.

Arcane Dome
Cast Type:Point
Hotkey:D
Creates a protective field that knockbacks all enemies and prevents them from entering the area. Additionally it deflects a percentage of incoming ranged attacks, causing them to miss allies under the dome. In case Aenor loses his concentration, leaves the area or is disabled, the Dome dissipates after a short delay.

Level 
Mana Cost

Cooldown

Casting Range

Area of Effect

Max. Duration

Dissipation delay

chance to miss

24%

32%

40%

48%

Notes
  • The spell is not channeling, but several conditions may affect the dome duration.
  • Loss of concentration by using any spell or item that requires mana to cast, will start the dissipation process, by the end of which the dome disappears.
  • Stunning, hexing or pausing Arcane Scholar will start the dissipation as well. Through in this case, the process may be stopped if Aenor regains hero control before the dome has completly faded away.

Technical Notes
  • Causes knockback of 280/300/320/340 range over 0.4 seconds, centered on the middle of the target AoE.
  • Doesn't break channeling spells.
  • Each 0.1s performs a check if there are enemy units in area, and if so - pushes them in the opposite direction from center.
  • Provides flying vision over inner area.

Discontinuity
Cast Type:Point
Hotkey:T
Opens two portals: one in front of Aenor and another in 400-800 proximity, allowing instant teleportation between them. Both friends or foes can use the portals, through enemies loose 10% of max hp on each traveling. Portals are open only for a certain duration, or until a certain number of teleportations was made. Aenor can close the portals at any time.

Level 
Mana Cost

Cooldown

Casting Range

Teleportation charges

Max.Portal Duration

400-700

400-800

400-900

400-1000

Teleportation notes
  • Teleportation can be ordered by right-clicking the portal model. It will occur instantly if in 150 range, otherwise hero will start running towards the portal.
  • Teleportation takes 0.4s time.
  • Teleportation places a debuf, that prevents repeated teleport for 1s.
  • During teleportation, heroes are hidden and invulnerable to any damage except direct HP removal.
  • Heroes cannot teleport (by right clicking the portal) while they are stunned/paused/snared/etc. * Hexed heroes can use portals as long as they retain the movement ability.
  • If portals were closed during hero teleportation, that hero will instantly reappear at initial location.
  • Surrounding trees will be destroyed in case there is not enough space for the teleported hero.
  • Enemies receive 10% (of max hp) damage as direct hp removal.

Portals - targeting:
  • Closest portal appears 100 units in front of Aenor.
  • Farther portal appears at the targeted location (if pointed within range)
  • If targeted farther than 800 units away, farther portal will appear at exactly 800 units from Aenor's location, in targeted direction.
  • If targeted closer than 400, farther portal will appear at exactly 400 units from Aenor's location, in targeted direction.
  • Farther portal can be summoned in fog, but not on impassable terrain (terrain should be clean in 200x200 area, to avoid portal-swap combo to enclosed cliffs)

Portals - properties:
  • Portals appear instantly.
  • Portals provide 500 obstructed vision.
  • Portals have zero colission size.
  • Portals look like vertically aligned runed-circles, being ~200 units in diameter.

Empower
Cast Type:Self
Hotkey:E
Empowers the next Aenor's spell, improving it's effect.

Level 
Mana Cost

Cooldown

_

________

Arcane Blast: deals damage as it would be fully charged and also stuns affected targets for 2.5 seconds.
Arcane Dome: also increases magic resistance by 12%/16%/20%/24% based on dome's level.
Empowered dome is protected from dissipation, and is potent enough for preventing magic immune enemies from entering the area as well.
Discontinuity gains a flare effect: upon opening, both portals release a fast extending wave of disruptive energy, that harms the enemies it comes in contact with. Extends at 800 speed over 200-radius aoe and deals 200/250/300 damage.

Notes
  • After using Empower, Aenor has to cast next spell within 7 seconds in order to benefit from empowerment.
  • Aghanim effect: reduces cooldown to 22/16/12, and reduces mana cost to zero.

CREDITS:
Icons:
- Wet-water - Arcane Blast
- Elfsilver Lord - Arcane Dome
- NFWar - Discontinuity
- Stygian - Empower

Template:
- Captain Planet (aka The][nquisitoR).

Background Story:
- Forceflow

Testmap:
- Inreet (v1)

Suggestions:
- Lancey_ - Spells AoE adjustments. Slight rebalancing of ultimate.
- Farm_Bot - Empowered Arcane Dome rebalancing.
- Vot1_Bear - General polishing and descriptions' improvements.

CHANGE LOG::

- 02-01-2012:
  • Discontinuity range rescaled: 400-800 => 400-700/800/900/1000
  • Added testmap! (v1)
- 12-26-2011:
  • Improved descriptions for arcane dome, empowered arcane dome and empowered discontinuity for better comprehension.
  • Empowered discontinuity: swapped explosions for flare effect.
- 12-23-2011:
  • Arcane Blast: added explicit note regarding charges regeneration in relation to INT parameter.
  • Arcane Dome: explicitly noted that it doesn't break channeling spells.
  • Arcane Discontinuity: renamed to just Discontinuity.
  • Discontinuity: portals can no longer be summoned on issolated cliffs (to eliminate cases like: venge teleporting to cliff for further swapping)
- 12-22-2011: - Empower will improve effect of next spell, only if cast withing 7 seconds from using Empower.
- 12-21-2011:
  • Arcane Dome: cooldown reduced: 28 => 26
  • Empowered Discontinuity: it's damage now depends on the level of ultimate, instead of level of arcane blast. (resulting in 200/225/250 for Empower of level 1, 2 and 3 respectively)
- 12-17-2011: - Minor cooldown and template adjustments.
- 12-16-2011:
  • Arcane Blast aoe has changed: 175 => 150/175/200/225
  • Empower cooldown reduced: 40/32/24 => 28/22/16
  • Empowered Arcane Blast no longer stuns magic immune targets.
  • Empowered Arcane Blast stun duration reduced: 3 => 2.5s
  • Arcane Dome now prevents magic immune targets from entering the area, as long as Aenor is inside the Dome himself.
- 12-15-2011: - Submitted suggestion.

* List of hero suggestions based on similar (apprentice wizard) model: (open the spoiler)

- 12-30-2009: Achrone, the Time Mage (submitted by NoThlnG)
- 01-29-2010: Azriel, Rune Mage (submitted by eleazar03)
- 05-28-2010: Rallan, The Elemental One (submitted by kozak)
- 07-09-2010: Eldin, the Elemental Wizard (submitted by NoThlnG)
- 06-21-2011: Arthurus Irae, Magic's Wrath (submitted by Antonius_Block)
- 12-15-2011: Aenor, Arcane Scholar

Attached Files
File Type: w3x ArcaneScholar.TestMap.v1.w3x (2.22 MB, 34 views)
File Type: w3x ArcaneScholar.TestMap.v1b.w3x (5.36 MB, 103 views)
Last edited by MaxQuest; 09-27-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Lancey_

Default Re: [WIP][INT-Sentinel] Aenor - Arcane Scholar

Sounds like an interesting hero.

Skill 1 - Looks pretty good. I feel like the area's a little small and would be easy to get out of in the cast time. Maybe an area of 250 instead? The charges also seem like they need more fleshing out. Is there a cap? Does the cap increase per level? I also think the restoration of charges needs changing. At the moment, they restore at a rate of 1 every 3 seconds at less than 50 intelligence, 1 every 2 at 50-100, and 1 every second at 100+. Maybe tie the rate of restoration to the skill's level?

Skill 2 - I like the idea. Again, it seems pretty small. Maybe you could also increase the size of the field per level?

Skill 3 - Sounds good, but maybe the teleport time should be equal to the cast time of the first skill, so you can place down a portal on an enemy, then blast where he's going to come out and nail it perfectly.

Ult - Okay, I think it's a good idea too, but the mana cost seems to go up too much compared to the benefits it gives. If the effects it gives on each ability were increased per level of ult (for example, blast's stun would be 2/2.5/3) the mana cost would be more worth it. I think the stun on arcane blast might be a little long, especially for going through magic immune targets. Maybe 2 seconds would be more fair? Arcane discontinuity seems like it gets the short stick on buffs. The blasts do deal pretty fair damage, but does it have the same effect as the default blast? Would it reset your charges as well? I think there's a lot of potential for it that isn't being used.

Really good idea overall!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
MaxQuest

Thanks. You've made a good point regarding aoes and stun duration )) I've marked the things taken into consideration with blue (open the spoiler) and updated the template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancey_ View Post
It indeed is :shy: )) I just wanted something creative - an INT hero that depending on skill and item build can fit most of the roles, aka supporter, ganker, nuker, chaser and pusher. And it looks like Aenor indeed has such potential.

Skill 1 - Looks pretty good. I feel like the area's a little small and would be easy to get out of in the cast time. Maybe an area of 250 instead? The charges also seem like they need more fleshing out. Is there a cap? Does the cap increase per level? I also think the restoration of charges needs changing. At the moment, they restore at a rate of 1 every 3 seconds at less than 50 intelligence, 1 every 2 at 50-100, and 1 every second at 100+. Maybe tie the rate of restoration to the skill's level?
- aoe: ok, changing the area to match Leshrak's split earth. Seems fair.
- regarding getting away: I will edit the tooltip, to make it clear that you can either use it by targeting the ground (can be useful against an invisible foe) or target an enemy directly.
- regarding charges: I was probably editing the template at the moment you were reading it) There is a limit of charges Aenor can get. It bassically equals to the rank of the spell. The ideea is the following: on level 7 (with arcane blast at rank 7 and 60 int for example) you can either use in every 8 seconds for full effect (55 + 4 charges = 315 dmg per 120mp), or use it twice during that period for (2*(55 + 2charges) = 360 dmg per 240mp). Bassically you wont cast it often on early levels, but it might be very useful for finishing an escaping enemy, when you cannot afford to wait extra 4 seconds. (ofc if 180 damage will be enough for that purpose)

Skill 2 - I like the idea. Again, it seems pretty small. Maybe you could also increase the size of the field per level?
Sounds resonable. AoE will increase slightly per rank. Instead have increased the cooldown by 3 seconds to be more consistent with the ulty.

Skill 3 - Sounds good, but maybe the teleport time should be equal to the cast time of the first skill, so you can place down a portal on an enemy, then blast where he's going to come out and nail it perfectly.
Teleport time is 0.4s, and since arcane blast can be targeted directly on enemies, the fact that you will deal damage is basically guaranteed )

Ult - Okay, I think it's a good idea too, but the mana cost seems to go up too much compared to the benefits it gives. If the effects it gives on each ability were increased per level of ult (for example, blast's stun would be 2/2.5/3) the mana cost would be more worth it. I think the stun on arcane blast might be a little long, especially for going through magic immune targets. Maybe 2 seconds would be more fair? Arcane discontinuity seems like it gets the short stick on buffs. The blasts do deal pretty fair damage, but does it have the same effect as the default blast? Would it reset your charges as well? I think there's a lot of potential for it that isn't being used.
- I decided to abandon ideea of empowerment increase per each rank of ultimate, because it would add too many details, and people tend to avoid walls of text. So the final ideea was short and simple: to make it possible to use empowered spells more often. And this is the reason of mana cost increase. I guess I havent reflected it clearly by numbers, so will adjust them slightly. And since cooldown at rank 3 gets reduced to 14, stun duration will be reduced as well.
- Arcane Blasts dealt with empowered arcane discontinuity - deal the same damage as fully charged regular arcane blast (of the current rank) and doesn't deplete Aenor's charges. This is mainly a pushing tool, or a small bonus to aoe team clashes, when you decide to pass the stun.

But it's still a WIP =) So I will keep adjusting it sligtly.

P.S. I have revised the Empower Arcane Blast ability. It won't stun any longer magic immune units, since it would be pretty unfair against such heroes like enigma or bane. Instead Arcane Dome now prevents magic immune enemies from entering the area. This can be very useful against lycan, balanar and akin.
Last edited by MaxQuest; 12-16-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
Name Rater

Quote:

I like it too..
T-UP
Azeroth's Prix{|}
Old 12-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
MaxQuest

Thank you Name Rater.

I have "polished" the abilities once again. Also I hope spell descriptions are even more clear now. Anyway let me know if something appears vague or ambiguous to you.
-----------
Suggestion is now "officially" moving from [WIP] to [Reviews] stage.
At the moment hero appears both interesing and balanced to me. The main emphasis being made on versatility. Thus the list of roles that he could fit, ranges from supporter and pusher to ganker and even caster semi-carry. Depending on line-up, he can act as his team needs most at any given moment, without altering much his item-build.
Last edited by MaxQuest; 12-19-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:32 AM   #6
nasser05

Default Re: [INT-Sentinel] Aenor - Arcane Scholar

very cool idea
Old 12-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
Farm_Bot

Holy shit, I think I'm in love.

Implement this hero ASAP.

The portal idea is... just... epic.

But enough with the jaw breaker, now to the review:

Arcane Blast: Good Nuke, nice gank tool when ult is up, and a decent farm ability even with no charges and could be very spamable when suficient mana is available (bloodstone FTW). Small AOE, but with perfection, you'll never miss a blast. The thing is: those 0.3 seconds delay for the blast, they have an animation? Because, with that tiny AOE, animation for the pre-blast would just make the enemy hero clink once, and he'll be most likely safe. Maybe increase the AOE for a very small amout with the ult, or make it an instanst cast abillity. The effect I imagine for this one is like a Pugna's Nether Blast, but white or grey.

Arcane Dome: So, what would the effect of this be? A grey, flatter chronosphere maybe? Can really fuck up with Sniper, Mirana and ranged DPS's in a team battle, while your cooldowns are recharging. The knockback, as you said, can fuck up Lycan and alike, and also send some enemy heroes to a cliff, or make them unable to reach a tower, while you, with no problem whatsoever, deny the tower. Nice "pseudo-chanelling" concept, you can attack and move, but not cast spells.

Arcane Discontinuity: Nice juking, gank, or support skill. Can be used in many ways, like linking the ground to a cliff and stay there on top damaging a melee enemy hero, or to surprise assault and enemy team in Roshan. The 10% damage for foes who use the portal is it magical damage, or direct HP removal? Does the portal gives True Sight and flying vision for the area and duration? I think that an average flying vision (about 500-550 range from the center of the portals) on both the portals could be nice, you know. Also, any ideia on the collision size, and model size for the portals? The effect for this could be that portal that is available on the World Editor of the Frozen Throne. Originally, it's a purple portal with 5 dots on it's sides. Take the model, reduce it's size and turn it grey-like.

Empower: Maybe it could increase the AOE for the Arcane Blast on bigger levels of the ult too. Also, let's analize something, Rubicks Null Field magic reduction is 5%, 10%, 15% and 20% on 900 AOE on lvls 1, 2, 3 and for respectively, while Aenor's magic reduction with Arcane Dome and ult reduction is 24%, 32%, 40% and 48%. Even being on only 300 to 360 AOE, it's a bit too much. Imagine, if a Lich ult's, and on the delay that the ult's projectile takes to arrive to an average range an Aenor casts Ult and Arcane Dome, on the targeted party, most of the Lich's ult will be denied. Kind of Imba. As for the portal blast, pretty good, a nice way to kill that persky runaway on red health hero. Maybe in addition with the lower cooldown and no mana requirement with the Agha upgrade, it could, when cast, allows a greater cast range for the other spells. Effect for the ult: just like when Furion has an Agha, add the "rays" to Aenor's hand, but grey. Effects for this skill with Agha: Maybe an aura beneath him, or something like glowing scepter or amor.

Also, I would love to add the link of the hero into my Steam Account, but how do I add myself a signature?

With great emthusyasm to play with this character, http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198047111600

Not my creation, but worth a share: http://www.playdota.com/forums/59632...rcane-scholar/
Last edited by Farm_Bot; 12-19-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
MaxQuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm_Bot View Post
Holy shit, I think I'm in love.

Implement this hero ASAP.

The portal idea is... just... epic.
Thanks for this and for review ^)

P.S. Damn I've accidentally edited this post instead of the first one. Kinda lazy to reconstruct the whole wall of text I had here.. since it's partially outdated now.
Last edited by MaxQuest; 12-22-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
Farm_Bot

Well, about Empowered Arcane Disncotinuity... The double damage is fine, for you don't have a mega damage ult or secondary damage skill. The only thing is: you use Arcane Blast fully charged, then use Empowered Arcane Discontinuity... The Empowered AD will be uncharged right, cause imagine if you catch a hero on the opening portal, and the Arcane Blast with 4 charges each, and even a fleeing hero far away with the other portal. Kind of too much damage for a support hero that could do this at lvl 7. Maybe it could be a 1-2-3 charge blast for every level of the ult, and with Agha a 2-3-4 charge blast for the portals, this way balancing the damage dealt for you lvls.

And... ummm... about the promotion. Editing like you asked for: Thank you for the gift man, hoping we could play together. I'm a pretty decent supporter, you know.

Not my creation, but worth a share: http://www.playdota.com/forums/59632...rcane-scholar/
Last edited by Farm_Bot; 12-19-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
MaxQuest

I was thinking of empowered discontinuity blasts to deal full damage without depleting the charges, such that with a good aim Aenor could triple blast the target for full dmg, just like Nevermore. But since Aenor has some extra utility that Nevermore lacks, I have to agree: dishing such damage is bassically unreasonable.
----
Meanwhile you made a good point with damage rising per level of ultimate. It's a viable ideea. But lets compare it with possible alternatives:
Blasts caused by empowered arcane discontinuity:
- deal 3xINT parameter damage
- deal 55 + 65xNumberOfCharges damage - where number of charges is between 0 and 4, and equals to the lowest ability rank between arcane blast and regular discontinuity
- deal no damage, but slow down all running otwards enemy units by 40% in 225 radius. (i.e. portals are transformed in some kind of engulfing dimension-holes)

Regarding promotion: I've said about worktime, because I am currently at office ^^, and could not install the steam. But I understand your impatience, so I've found 5 minutes and check if there is the inventory thingy accessible via steam website. And.. it is! So you can already confirm the invitation)
P.S. If you cannot find something in their GUI, feel free to pm me. Also you can check your assigned to steam email.
Last edited by MaxQuest; 12-19-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Farm_Bot

Yeah, a slow could be usefull. Fits more a support. The 3x int damage also sounds nice, making an item build style something close to Obsidian Destroyer. Your idea above really increases the hero's overall utility. Also, when do you have some to spare? Looking foward to play with you.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
Lancey_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQuest View Post
- Since enemies are not forced to use the portal, moreover they can chase you through the portal unless you close it fast, direct HP removal sounds more suitable.
If I open a portal on top of an enemy, will it still teleport them? I was thinking you could combo together portals and blasts, or pull fleeing enemies back towards your team.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
MaxQuest

Quote:
If I open a portal on top of an enemy, will it still teleport them? I was thinking you could combo together portals and blasts, or pull fleeing enemies back towards your team.
No =) In order to travel through the portal, hero (foe or ally, doesn't matter) should implicitly right click the portal, and once he gets into 125 proximity he will be teleported. The reason behind this, was to eliminate the cases when enemy hero could be teleported to your tower, snared and easily killed. I had an ideea through... such that empowered arcane discontinuity to behave like this. But it resembles a bit venge's nether swap, and it would be OP with such low cooldown, so I'd better leave this for another hero concept)
I guess such "wormhole" ability could fit the undead apprentice model.

Quote:
Yeah, a slow could be usefull. Fits more a support. The 3x int damage also sounds nice, making an item build style something close to Obsidian Destroyer. Your idea above really increases the hero's overall utility.
Yeap) Have to decide which effect to select, through) I guess I'll go through the heroes pool and check the possible combos. Because it should be both effective and non OP.

Quote:
Also, when do you have some to spare? Looking foward to play with you.
I enjoy good company as well, moreover it's indeed better to play with friends.
Matchmaking sux pretty hard atm =) (I guess this screenshot can speak for itself)
P.S. I usually play dota 2 on saturdays. And 0-2 games of dota 1 per weekend. Mainly because I have a full-time job. I will pm if I'll see you online)
P.P.S. +2 is my timezone.
Last edited by MaxQuest; 12-19-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
Farm_Bot

^^

All right, man.

P.S. -2 is mine. (At least I think so...)

Last edited by Farm_Bot; 12-20-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
tkaczu27

I'm impressed i really love that idea.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #16
condorzai

Very neat suggestion with interesting template and <3 teleportation ftw ! A new revolution for Dark Portal ;D
Old 12-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #17
gofunkiertti

I mosly like this hero but i think making the dome the active and getting a 4th skill would make this hero better. Theres already 2 passively increases other spells skills in the game and I don't really like either of them. (not to mention karma in lol who is a shit hero) Perhaps if the ultimate really changed how the skills are used instead of just adding bonus damage effects?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #18
MaxQuest

Smile Re: [INT-Sentinel] Aenor - Arcane Scholar

Thank you tkaczu27 and condorzai I even consider improving it further)
------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofunkiertti View Post
I mosly like this hero but i think making the dome the active and getting a 4th skill would make this hero better. Theres already 2 passively increases other spells skills in the game and I don't really like either of them. (not to mention karma in lol who is a shit hero)
If I understood you correctly, you are referring to spell shield and null field, right? Then I agree, if dome would be passive - it would be same boring.
But! the Arcane Dome is actually an active spell. Exactly as you wanted)

I guess you have misread a bit the descriptions). There are not just 2 active spells.
You have 3 active abilities and an ultimate that basically empowers these spells with extra utility. Selecting in real-time which ones to use, wont be boring at all)) moreover they are tightly related to a proper positioning.

Quote:
Perhaps if the ultimate really changed how the skills are used instead of just adding bonus damage effects?
So far only empowered discontinuity deals bonus damage. And it is very useful as anti-pushing or bonus farming tool. While other two empowerments grant you and your team the utility you need and can freely choose according to situation)
Last edited by MaxQuest; 12-20-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #19
DoppelVishop

Great hero man.

Tread lightly, She is near
Under the snow, speak gently, for She can hear.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:36 AM   #20
gofunkiertti

No i was referring to witchcraft and multicast. Im not saying the idea is bad im just saying that if you must use an empowering system I think something that actaully changes thier functionality rather than just adding an extra effect would make it interesting.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
MaxQuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoppelVishop View Post
Great hero man.
Thank you Doppel)

Quote:
No i was referring to witchcraft and multicast. Im not saying the idea is bad im just saying that if you must use an empowering system I think something that actaully changes thier functionality rather than just adding an extra effect would make it interesting.
Well),.. the empowering system by definition means that something is made more powerfull, or given some extra power/utility. And the ultimate does just that)
While witchcraft and multicast provide a passive enhancements to existing skills, Empower allows you to select the additional effect on demand, introducing an extra layer/step in the decision-taking process)

Trully speaking, initially I was thinking of actually changing the functionality, of Aenor's spells used in conjunction with the ultimate. Could call it something like "Metamagic" or maybe "Metamorph".
But the reason why, I decided to leave just empowerment, is that a fresh hero concept shouldn't be to complex. His skillset should not take much time to read and understand, otherwise it just causes TL;DR; effect)

But as the hero will gather more and more reviews, of course such alternatives to the ultimate will be revised again.

----------------
Changes done:
  • Arcane Dome: since empowered version now reducess less magical damage, it's cooldown is decreased 28 => 26
  • Empowered Arcane Discontinuity: it's damage now depends on the level of ultimate, instead of level of arcane blast. (resulting in 200/225/250 for Empower of level 1, 2 and 3 respectively)

The question is: is it is ok for damage done by empowered arcane discontinuity to depend on just level of ultimate, or it should vary depending on the level of regular discontinuity as well?)
Last edited by MaxQuest; 12-21-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #22
CarryOut

Good skills
Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #23
Farm_Bot

Quote:
Changes done:
  • Arcane Dome: since empowered version now reducess less magical damage, it's cooldown is decreased 28 => 26
  • Empowered Arcane Discontinuity: it's damage now depends on the level of ultimate, instead of level of arcane blast. (resulting in 200/225/250 for Empower of level 1, 2 and 3 respectively)

The question is: is it is ok for damage done by empowered arcane discontinuity to depend on just level of ultimate, or it should vary depending on the level of regular discontinuity as well?)
A formula for a damage based on Discontiniuty and Ultimate lvls will take away the simplicity behind the hero that you spoke of (It already have a formula for the charges, and some people just won't understand it. Now imagine another formula for the same hero. Pubbers will say Aenor is like Invoker, pro stuff only)... I think that upgrading the damage with the ult only, is better, because upgrading the "portals" already gives a good enhancement to it's power, and that way, it may give it some different skill builds for him, like upgrading only one lvl of Discontinuity for the damage and taking stats instead.

P.S. Sorry for any punctuation errors, but portuguese really confuses you when punctuating english.

P.P.S. If there's any character in the post that is missing, it's my keyboard, it is not cooperating with me today...

Old 12-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #24
MaxQuest

Quote:
A formula for a damage based on Discontiniuty and Ultimate lvls will take away the simplicity behind the hero that you spoke of (It already have a formula for the charges, and some people just won't understand it. Now imagine another formula for the same hero. Pubbers will say Aenor is like Invoker, pro stuff only)... I think that upgrading the damage with the ult only, is better, because upgrading the "portals" already gives a good enhancement to it's power, and that way, it may give it some different skill builds for him, like upgrading only one lvl of Discontinuity for the damage and taking stats instead.
Totally agree. That's the main reason I didn't introduce such a formula. I was trying to figure out a simple way to describe it, but it's still complex.
So far I guess I'll leave it as is) and wait for more feedback.

Quote:
P.S. Sorry for any punctuation errors, but portuguese really confuses you when punctuating english.
P.P.S. If there's any character in the post that is missing, it's my keyboard, it is not cooperating with me today...
That's np) There are few that have English as their native language, and neither have I.

------------------
P.S. Short question regarding.. "Discontinuity", the name of ability.
I often catch myself that it's easier to refer with the term as 'Portals'. It is shorter and it's instantly clear what we are speaking about. On the other hand term "discontinuity" - kind of suggests that there are two distant points in space, but somehow linked together.
Since this hero concept is not for my sole use), I am interested which term appears to be more suggestive to you?)
Last edited by MaxQuest; 12-21-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #25
innocenz.ii

I totally like your Hero Design.
I think this hero would be very interesting to play and he would add a nice change into the meta (maybe) because he can be used both defensively and offensively and so much more.
And his name is just epic. I think I would play that hero even mre often than I play Silencer.
Too lazy to do more review kind of stuff, sorry.

Btw: I really like your signature. It fits quite well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenico View Post
LoL community have a man. We have a god.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapis Lazuli View Post
He [Eul] [...] has everyone's respects and consent.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #26
MaxQuest

Smile Re: [INT-Sentinel] Aenor - Arcane Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenz.ii View Post
I totally like your Hero Design.
I think this hero would be very interesting to play and he would add a nice change into the meta (maybe) because he can be used both defensively and offensively and so much more.
And his name is just epic.
Well, thank you)
Aenor indeed, is designed to be as flexible, as possible. Taking into account the utility he brings, it should be.. refreshing to play with him, or even against)

I guess he can take his niche in the current metagame, especially because he partially counters the current top-tier carries, like anti-mage and lycan; not to mention the fact that he can be in one line with the best supporting saviors.

Quote:
I think I would play that hero even mre often than I play Silencer.
I guess I would do as well). I enjoy playing INT supporters, but they usually scale worse than heroes performing other roles, while Aenor has a greater potential. He is thought to be able to change his role, according to situation.

Quote:
Too lazy to do more review kind of stuff, sorry.
Np) But thanks for sharing your overall opinion)

Quote:
Btw: I really like your signature. It fits quite well!
Five minutes of paint.net, and voila) An extra trick is (before embedding it to sig) to cut the image in two pieces, such that it won't get downscaled by parser)
Last edited by MaxQuest; 12-22-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #27
DSY.WiLLY

T-UP. I suggest you make his ulti a passive, but the first skill needs to be reworked because ganks can happen at any time in a given game...

Old 12-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #28
Farm_Bot

Max, I think that Discontinuity is better. Nothing else to say here, you already spoke it all....

Old 12-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #29
MaxQuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY.WiLLY View Post
T-UP. I suggest you make his ulti a passive, but the first skill needs to be reworked because ganks can happen at any time in a given game...
Thanks ^)
-------
Making Empower passive could be original idea, if we would not already have multicast. Moreover since Empower is an active ability with cooldown, we can imbue it with greater effects. Also I really like the decision-making element that is gonna be an extra signature feature of this whole concept.

Regarding first skill, i.e. Arcane Blast: I have thought of that aspect, and at the moment I find both cooldown and charges regeneration rate just great. Propose your own values, and we can analyze what repercussions it might have)

Quote:
Max, I think that Discontinuity is better. Nothing else to say here, you already spoke it all....
It's great than) Because I like the term, but had doubts regarding how it could be understood by "not-so-english" speakers) (yeah I am a "not-so" too ;p)

-------------------
Changes done:
  • Empower will improve the next spell, only if it is cast within 7 seconds from using Empower.
  • Have reviewed, rephrased and reorganized abilities' notes, for better readability and comprehension.
  • Added changelog and related-heroes sections.

Notes:
The time limit on casting a spell after using Empower, was introduced to avoid situations when Aenor could use ultimate in advance, wait the cooldown, and later use two Empowered spells in a row.

The question is: does 7 seconds sound fair/comfortable to you?
Last edited by MaxQuest; 12-22-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #30
E02K

wait i dont get the formula
Feel free to message me for proof.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #31
E02K

Too many arcane names, the ultiamte reminds me of krobelus/syllabear's passive skill
Old 12-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #32
MaxQuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by E02K View Post
Too many arcane names, the ultiamte reminds me of krobelus/syllabear's passive skill
Well), the names are not problem at all) With a bit of imagination I can change it easily, while maintaining same style. Initially I've named them this way, to highlight the overall theme. Aenor is a "certified" arcane scholar after all)
Arcane Discontinuity could be changed to just Discontinuity. Arcane Dome to Protective Barrier, and so on. If you have some good ideas, feel free to share)

-----
Regarding krob and sylla: Yeap, partially you are right. The root concept of improvement is common. While implementation, and the active element is what makes them differ. You can choose a greater effect for some spell, but not for all at the same time. You'll have to analyze the situation; and isn't it a good counter to boredom of passive ability?)

Quote:
wait i dont get the formula
Np) It's really easy to explain:

one charge per [3 - min(2, floor(int / 50))] seconds

This basically means that, the more INT Aenor has - the faster regeneration rate will be:
  • 0-49 INT: 1 charge per 3 seconds
  • 50-99 INT: 1 charge per 2 seconds
  • 100+ INT: 1 charge per 1 second
P.S. floor() function means rounding down.

----
The reason behind introducing arcane charges and this formula - was adding extra flexibility.
There are scenarios when you need your nuke right now; for instance escaping enemy will get into fog or teleport right away. In such situations you can only blame the long cooldown of the nuke. That's why Arcane Blast is designed to have a lower cooldown, with charges being a balancing element, such that it won't be OP early game, but later it could scale to the level of carrion swarm by pushing efficiency.
Last edited by MaxQuest; 12-22-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #33
E02K

3 - what does min mean ? and floor
Old 12-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #34
MaxQuest

Quote:
3 - what does min mean ? and floor
Floor() is a common name for rounding down function. (floor(2.6) = 2)
Min() is a common name for minimum: min(1, 2) = 1

I thought that this is obvious. But since such question arisen, I think it makes sense to explicitly clarify this in ability notes. Thanks for pointing it out)
Old 12-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #35
Farm_Bot

Quote:

Notes:
The time limit on casting a spell after using Empower, was introduced to avoid situations when Aenor could use ultimate in advance, wait the cooldown, and later use two Empowered spells in a row.

The question is: does 7 seconds sound fair/comfortable to you?
7 Secs is fine. Half of the cooldwon on lvl 3.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #36
MaxQuest

Quote:
7 Secs is fine. Half of the cooldwon on lvl 3.
And so thought I)
Moreover, indirectly... it will make aghanim even more tempting for Aenor in the late-mid game, making it competitive enough to another late game items if the player is knowing what he's doing.

Changes done:
  • Arcane Blast: added explicit note regarding charges regeneration in relation to INT parameter.
  • Arcane Dome: it doesn't break channeling spells.
  • Arcane Discontinuity: renamed to just Discontinuity.
  • Discontinuity: portals can no longer be summoned on isolated cliffs (to eliminate cases like: venge teleporting to cliff for further swapping)

P.S. Gonna add "Tips and tricks" section.
Though Aenor doesn't have any forced synergy, he can cooperate greatly with other heroes, pulling up some really tricky combos )
Old 12-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #37
okrane
Banned

love the hero. Good synergies and all around seems fun to play.
T-up
Old 12-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #38
adzial

dam nice hero man. hope icefrog reads this
Old 12-24-2011, 03:50 AM   #39
Vot1_Bear

Suggestion Award 

A decent hero if i have to say.

1st skill is pretty unique. It's another AoE nuke, but it comes with a really impressive method of scaling. Not bad.

2nd skill is another unique defensive skill. However it does have balance issues tbh, it nullifies most physical damage with miss chance on ranged heroes and knockback on melee.
The fade time concept is questionable: Is it really needed? Imo it unnecessarily makes this skill more complex. Many people will understand better if you add a single "CHANNELING" word by removing fade time concept. But if you prefer making it original then i have no objections either, it is a good concept.

3rd skill-
Portals. Classic. It's quite well-thought, giving it limited uses, range, and such. Not much to say here, it's a nice utility spell.

Ulti-
Tbh i was expecting something really complicated, but this works too since your standard skills already made a wall of text. The effects however are questionable.
1st skill upgrade makes it a disable. A favored effect if you ask me
2nd skill upgrade removes it semi-channeling concept. However the magic resistance makes it quite complicated. Why don't you just add linear resistance instead of making it based on the miss chance? simpler imo.
3rd skill upgrade is the least appealing tbh. It's a nuke. That's it. Needs a buff imo, perhaps another form of disable (silence/disarm)?

Overall, a really nice utility hero. He's totally versatile, each of his skills providing offensive, defensive and mobility.
Another thing worth noting is the effort you put to the hero. It is, in a word, "complete". Everything is well-thought and the notes prevents readers to misunderstand or question anything. A rare thing to see these days.

The only cons i can think of is this hero's unnecessary complexity. Each and every single one of his skills are already unique, but you add another new concept (E.g. 2nd skill's fade time). The concept itself is great, however it might be unnecessarily making your hero harder to understand for some others.

Tl;DR a decent hero, definitely worth reviewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie. View Post
I build Satanic on Lucifer and I feel like a God.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #40
MaxQuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrane View Post
love the hero. Good synergies and all around seems fun to play.
T-up
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzial View Post
dam nice hero man. hope icefrog reads this
Thank you guys)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot1_Bear View Post
A decent hero if i have to say.
Thank you Vot1_Bear for review. You've made some good points)
Some of them are worth being taken into account, and another for a deeper analysis.
Let's go step by step (through the elements you subjected to changes):

Arcane Dome:
- Balance aspect: You have mentioned that it might a bit overpowered. I believe any imabalance can be eliminated by the change in numbers, be it cooldown, duration or other related parameter. In case this spell appears strong, just propose your set of numbers) But I would like to note, that during "balancing" phase for this ability, I was mostly compairing it to: windrunner, astral emprisonment, disruption and kinetic field. Through the last one is the most related to dome, it not only has lower cooldown, but also prevents enemies from leaving the area bringing us to a possible kill; while in case of dome, no one asks for enemies to stand in range.
- Fade: I agree with you. It indeed adds a bit of complexity. The reason why I actually added it, was balancing aspect. Making the dome channeling, or even leaving it as is but without fadding time would completly nulify the usefullness of spell when facing enemy stunners: Arcane Dome => Fissure => Dome disipates. Thus this wouldn't be a good change. I suppose fade time concept could be elimated if disabling Aenor would no longer make the Dome disappear. And since this is a buff, it could be balanced by a counter-buff: Dome holds while Aenor is in x units proximity frome the center of dome, plus a slight increase in cooldown. What do you think of such a change?

Empower:
- Complexity: as I once mentioned, I indeed was going for something complicated.
And yes), it would be interesting as well) since I can think of many interesting effects without balance issues to be a problem :shy: ;p)
But the truth is: for a fresh concept - simplicity is key. Thus Empower while being unusual, can be described in just a few sentences without causing the TL;DR; effect)
- Empowered Arcane Dome: do you mean that I should just edit the empowerment description? to something like: "Arcane Dome: also increases magic resistance by 13%, 17%, 21%, 25% per dome ability level."?
I though that it will be easier to remember. But if it looked complicated, of course description can be rephrased.
- Empowered Discontinuity: so we have arrived to the most interesting and controversal part of the whole hero concept) Thus if you are interested, and I hope you do), please prepare for the mini-wall below ;p
The ideea to make it an extra nuke has arised from my overall seeing of Aenor's concept. I wanted him, besides being versatile, to be very flexible within the roles he can fit. By the rest of his skillset, it is obvious that scholar can be a great supporter, ganker and a pusher as well.
I guess that in competitive games, he will be limited just to these. But.. as an extra empovement I wanted to grant him a semi-carry role, that (with a proper item build) he would be able to fit later in the game. And I believe this might prove very, uterly usefull in random pubs when your team carries leave or fail miserably.
Even through pubs have a much lower priority, I though that nuke could be a nice addition to the skillset which already has a solid number of utility spells. Moreover majority INT supporters have two damaging skills. Also I would like to note that it's not a coincedence that you can hit an enemy (200-250 units in front of you) by both explosions.

--------
Actually I am still open for changing empowered discontinuity to whatever suits best, be it even disarm, if it might fit the overall theme. So if you have any good ideas, feel free to share)
In my turn I can enlist a couple of quick sketches. If you like any, let me know) through I have yet to invent some kind of semi-carryish effect.
  • [Utility] Engulfing portals: upon being open, portals slowly suck up over 2 seconds any enemies in a 225 aoe, forcing them to go through the portal. (variables that can be used for balancing: facing direction, movement speed, distance till portal)
  • [Utility] Magic form: after being teleported, heroes do not instantly regain their corporeality. instead they are ethereal for 3.5 seconds
  • [Utility] Arcane trace: allied heroes upon entering the portal, leave an illusion behind them (deals 10% damage, receives 150% damage)
  • [Utility] Arcane shock: in the moment portals are open, they release a shocking (circular) wave, silencing and making enemies unable to attack for 2,5 seconds in 400 aoe.
  • [Damage over time] Nether Flows: radiant magic flows are coming from the portals, damaging all enemies for 50/70/90 damage per sec, in 300 aoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot1_Bear View Post
Overall, a really nice utility hero. He's totally versatile, each of his skills providing offensive, defensive and mobility.
Another thing worth noting is the effort you put to the hero. It is, in a word, "complete". Everything is well-thought and the notes prevents readers to misunderstand or question anything. A rare thing to see these days.
Thank you Vot1_Bear.
I've indeed tried to make him as versatile as possible, while giving attention to balancing aspect. This implied iterating through a lot of possible situations and hero combos.
While I am happy with result) it indeed led to a bit increased number of spell notes. But I believe there is a way to workaround this. Thus I will keep impoving the concept, while keeping the general flexibility and expected fun factor)

Oh, and I am gratefull again, if you have read that wall above ^)
Last edited by MaxQuest; 12-24-2011 at 07:01 PM.
  Defense of the Ancients Suggestions Hero Ideas